Holland is making changes to shops and photo centers

KirkNC

I think the lack of Oprah stuff or her going away anytime(soon) is wishful thinking.

Probably not. Running these shops badly is one thing we noticed after our first cruise in 2009 when they had HAL logo items we are still enjoying today. Very nice quality, high utility and appropriate for the locations cruised. By the next cruise they had badly deteriorated and we even wrote to HAL about the dramatic change we noticed in just those two cruises.

Then they switched to the generic cruise destination offerings and the generic "dam ship" logo stuff. But rather than brining back what was really good in the past, they went in a totally different direction - unassociated celebrity branding.

So their onboard shops track record has not been good, so I agree there is no reason to think it is going to get better ....anytime soon.

I saw the new photo shop on the Hal website yesterday. Much of it looked a bit old fashioned. I laughed when I saw peoples personal photos printed on mugs, coasters etc.

I hope that it is a huge success and increases Carnival stock prices.

Sandra

A few years ago I quit buying souvenir mugs. Now I make a collage of photos from our trip/s and put them on a mug. It's great to pull a random mug out of the cupboard and enjoy a trip down memory lane with your coffee!

I f you are referring to the embroidery from San Blas Islands when you mention Panama embreoidery... It is costly but very pretty work. I seem to think that Saks Fifdth Avenue used to sell some. I boufhgt a bout 4 pieces when in gthe San Blas Islands and iit was on ghe somewhagt costly side but when you see the women who doi t, their litle children and speak with them as they sell it to us....and the rather rustic conditions, many of us felt it well wort h the price,,,,,,,, if I am speaking of the same thing as you.

We are speaking of the same thing but I will NOT pay HAL such a premium for this work. I own several pieces of it which I purchased off the ship. I will happily pay the craftsmen/women for it, but it is distasteful (to me) to pay HAL such exorbitant prices for it.

A few years ago I quit buying souvenir mugs. Now I make a collage of photos from our trip/s and put them on a mug. It's great to pull a random mug out of the cupboard and enjoy a trip down memory lane with your coffee!

That's a great idea, and you don't have the weight/luggage space problem or worry about breakage. I sometimes buy packages of souvenir cocktail napkins to have a similar memory moment.

I was thinking that people are more likely to make photo souvenirs at home after the trip, but it just struck me that this could be an onboard "activity" for HAL. Learn to make a collage print! Learn to make a photo mug! ("small charge for the product")

I think the lack of Oprah stuff or her going away anytime(soon) is wishful thinking.

Oprah i s likely too busy with all her other ' goings on' to devote time, energy or inetrest to HAL . Not all that surprising, IMO

Are therestill places to have he 35 mm film developed? I've not seen anyone purchase iflm in oh sooo long. : cVS and The like aweays deVEL eoped it bu t I wonder if they do now?

I f you are referring to the embroidery from San Blas Islands when you mention Panama embreoidery... It is costly but very pretty work. I seem to think that Saks Fifdth Avenue used to sell some. I boufhgt a bout 4 pieces when in gthe San Blas Islands and iit was on ghe somewhat costly side but when you see the women who doi t, their litle children and speak with them as they sell it to us....and the rather rustic conditions, many of us felt it well wort h the price,,,,,,,, if I am speaking of the same thing as you.
Goodgle Mola embroidery,

The Panamanian Kuna Indians sell heir Molas embroidered art, on the San Blas Islands....... They love when a ship stops by and drops tenders full of pax

:)

We were three two or three times and found it all quite fascinating

Are therestill places to have he 35 mm film developed? I've not seen anyone purchase iflm in oh sooo long. : cVS and The like aweays deVEL eoped it bu t I wonder if they do now?

You can still drop your 35mm film at CVS, Walgreen’s and others and it will be processed. They send it out and it takes 3-10 days to get your photos, depending on the company. Also, many of them no longer return the negatives, just the prints. There are also mail order sites and photography shops that still process film and will return the negatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ithaca Gal, I do something quite similar. I like to make luggage tags out of collage of photos. It's fun to give travel partners a useable remind of our trip together.

I was thinking that people are more likely to make photo souvenirs at home after the trip, but it just struck me that this could be an onboard "activity" for HAL. Learn to make a collage print! Learn to make a photo mug! ("small charge for the product")

I think that would be a great activity for many to learn how to do it while onboard! My Daughter got me into Shutterfly and I love doing different things with our pictures and making gifts such as Christmas Ornaments, Christmas Stockings, Mouse Pads, Candles, and Wall Collages, etc. If the Ship has some "cool" things to make, I'll probably do something onboard.

You can still drop your 35mm film at CVS, Walgreen’s and others and it will be processed. They send it out and it takes 3-10 days to get your photos, depending on the company. Also, many of them no longer return the negatives, just the prints. There are also mail order sites and photography shops that still process film and will return the negatives.

I persona;lly no longer take any photos, I don' know where to toss all the ones I have already No one wants any of them, I am sure. but I was curious on behalf of others who continue to use film.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wasn't aware you could still purchase those bad boy 35mm rolls ;)of film

15722657-a-roll-of-photographic-film-on-a-white-background-.jpg

Yup, DH still buys them for one of his cameras. We keep them in the fridge downstairs. Last order was from B & H photo.

He mostly uses his DSLR's that do digital but he likes this now and then ;)

I'm looking forward to a fresh look in the shops - the past few years it's been the same old, same old. I don't mind having brands like Tommy Bahama, or Oprah, but I won't buy just because they're there, or because Oprah told me so. If I see something I like, I'll buy it regardless of the person flogging it.

A number of years ago (14 to be exact) DH bought a couple of Holland America golf shirts - and has worn them to death. I can't begin to count the times they've been laundered, and are only now starting to show fray along the collar edges. We've looked in the shops every time since then and have yet to find anything to compare with the quality of those two golf shirts. The quality of fabric of the current stock can't hold a candle to that of the older garments. DH says there isn't enough variety of things for men in the shops; that's his 2 cents worth. :)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I'm looking forward to a fresh look in the shops - the past few years it's been the same old, same old. I don't mind having brands like Tommy Bahama, or Oprah, but I won't buy just because they're there, or because Oprah told me so. If I see something I like, I'll buy it regardless of the person flogging it.

A number of years ago (14 to be exact) DH bought a couple of Holland America golf shirts - and has worn them to death. I can't begin to count the times they've been laundered, and are only now starting to show fray along the collar edges. We've looked in the shops every time since then and have yet to find anything to compare with the quality of those two golf shirts. The quality of fabric of the current stock can't hold a candle to that of the older garments. DH says there isn't enough variety of things for men in the shops; that's his 2 cents worth. :)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Surely agree with your DH about the lack of variety of items in the shops for us gentlemen.

Sizing issues of t-shirts, I discovered, was a problem for me. I purchased a nice "dam shirt" t-shirt that listed all of the current fleet's names and did not try it on before leaving the ship. At home, when I put it on for the first time, even though it is labeled as the same size as I always wear, it was a bit too snug. It's wearable, but barely.

Re: 35 mm film

In my community, it is becoming very difficult to buy the film or have the film developed. We do have one retail camera store left, part of a chain of stores, and they stock the film and will develop the film at a reasonable cost. Turnaround time is rather good, I think, even though the film is sent to their main office.

Ithaca Gal, I do something quite similar. I like to make luggage tags out of collage of photos. It's fun to give travel partners a useable remind of our trip together.

The luggage tag idea is ideal for a traveler!!! My sister surprised us with some and, as the saying goes, "We never leave home without it!". (My sister has always been a clever girl!)

HAL might be a victim of their own success with repeaters. On most of our HAL cruises, a large majority of the passengers are well "seasoned" in terms of cruise/travel experience and age. Perhaps we could say that most of us "were not born yesterday" (pun intended). DW, who sometimes enjoys shopping, does not normally even go into cruise ship shops...much less buy anything. There is just no reason. Anything decent can generally be bought at home (or online) for less money...and its easy to get handle both returns or needed service after the sale. I used to buy some higher end booze on our cruises, but now the prices are generally as high or higher then the same stuff costs at home.

As to the ship;s photographers....we think lines like Oceania and Viking have it right....they have no photographers. I assume that there are some folks who like the photo stuff (we did when we were young and photos were reasonably priced) but now...we view the photographers as just annoying and wish they would stay out of our way. If we want to have pictures printed from our digital photos....its easy (and less expensive) to do it once home.

Hank

I totally understand what you are saying about the photographers. On most cruises, we will buy ONE formal (I mean Gala) night photo as a memento for the cruise. It has traditionally been $19.95. On our Panama Cruise in April, the Captain and Hotel Director were posing for photos during the last Gala night so of course we had one taken. Guess my surprise when I went to purchase the photo and saw that they had jacked the price up to $24.95 because the Captain was in it! Oh well, I bought it anyway but now I will be aware. :p