Solo Trip Journal - Norwegian Epic - 7-Day Western Caribbean - 02/24/18 to 03/03/03

rabidstoat

Really enjoying your narrative! The she/he peacock was a show stopper....beautiful and I don't even like peacocks. Well they are beautiful, but the noise they make is horrible. I guess even birds can't be great at all "tings".

Loving review! So following...

Peacocks: Funny story...

On my travels to work every day I pass the local "Zoo" which also takes in rescue animals. I slammed on my brakes going down this isolated road one morning due to PEACOCKS everywhere! Somehow they escaped from their confines. It is 6:15 a.m. (dark). Peacocks in middle of the road! Oh my!

Get out of my way little fellas, I have to get to work! But don't you all look so darling! I did not hit any of them, and coffee did not spill on me slamming on brakes and navigating around them. Whew! I am positive zoo keepers scooped them up during the day and returned them to "zoo" habitat. LOL!

Peacocks are just about the stupidest birds out there. Seriously, they give domestic turkeys a run for their money. I have a friend who tells a story about six peacocks sitting on a branch out in the country somewhere during hunting season, and her husband shot one of them (apparently thinking it was a turkey) (!) and the other five birds just SAT THERE looking like they were thinking "Oi! What's happened to Fred, then, he just fell off the branch"

Peahens, on the other hand, are a lot more wily. They also don't have the showy tail. :-)

Loving the review. Greet effort!

I have a few questions if I don’t mind? I’m doing a TA cruise that will end in Port Canaveral, the porters you mentioned that skip the long lines, where are these people? Are they asking people if they need assistance?

Also I’m getting a private car transfer, is there an area where they wait? Is it easy it to find? I’m

On a tight time line and any info would be awesome.

Thanks heaps

I can answer the porter question... when you get off the ship, you'll walk down a long-azz ramp to the luggage claim area, a big open area with long tables where they stack the bags. Find your bags & then start looking for the porters with their carts coming through the big doors on the right. Flag one down by hollering "Porter" at him (it helps to hoist a bill above your head & wave it at him.) He'll load up your luggage on his cart & then start leading you past the lines of people. Follow him to the customs agent, the porter will wait while customs does their thing, and then the porter will continue to take you & your bags right out to curbside. Tell him you're doing the private car transfer & he'll show you where that is. They work for tips. I tipped him $5/bag for this service; I don't know what the consensus is on whether I was high or low. But it was worth it three times over to go past that huge line.

Edited by trivimp
typo

I’m sorry trivimp but I had to chuckle when you wrote they work for tips. Yes, they expect tips but they are well-paid hourly workers. At some ports they can make as much as a 6 figure annual wage. When I cruise I do tip the porters but I hate doing so.

I’m sorry trivimp but I had to chuckle when you wrote they work for tips. Yes, they expect tips but they are well-paid hourly workers. At some ports they can make as much as a 6 figure annual wage. When I cruise I do tip the porters but I hate doing so.

Ah, well, I didn't say it very clearly. I knew they got an hourly wage but they expect a tip on top of it. I didn't know they made quite so much, though! Maybe I should retire from office work & be a porter :)

I can answer the porter question... when you get off the ship, you'll walk down a long-azz ramp to the luggage claim area, a big open area with long tables where they stack the bags. Find your bags & then start looking for the porters with their carts coming through the big doors on the right. Flag one down by hollering "Porter" at him (it helps to hoist a bill above your head & wave it at him.) He'll load up your luggage on his cart & then start leading you past the lines of people. Follow him to the customs agent, the porter will wait while customs does their thing, and then the porter will continue to take you & your bags right out to curbside. Tell him you're doing the private car transfer & he'll show you where that is. They work for tips. I tipped him $5/bag for this service; I don't know what the consensus is on whether I was high or low. But it was worth it three times over to go past that huge line.

Thanks, this is perfect. Really appreciate it.

I’ll certainly be shouting PORTER with some bills in my hand and watch them flock to me. Haha!

Thanks again

Following. I was on this cruise also. Perfect weather. And me and my boyfriend both got the plague on the way home. Still coughing.

My gosh, y'all. I was on the Epic over Thanksgiving, and was one of many on the ship who caught the upper respiratory crud onboard that week. It took me 5 weeks to lose the cough. I can't help wondering if that same virus is still circulating through the ship's air. :( I feel for you and hope everyone feels better soon!