Is NCL out of their mind with Encore pricing vs. ?

tallnthensome

I can't believe the price they are asking for the New Encore 7 day sailing for April 2020. The itinerary sucks and I only paid $700 more for my 15 day Panama Canal on the Bliss for 2019 inside cabin vs Encore balcony cabin. They've lost their mind. Over 5k for this on Encore without gratuities or beverage promos too. Who is actually booking this ripoff? I loved the Escape and paid about half that price. To compare, I booked an extended aft balcony on Carnival's new Panorama for seven days in April 2020. Openings started this week. I got it for $2000+ less than the week on Encore for seven days. That's a huge difference and way better deal, almost absurd. Why the ludicrous price for Encore and who's foolish enough to book this turd of a sailing?

oh for heavens sake, it is 2 years out and we all know, I am sure you do as well this is just a starting price. There will be a lot of adjustments to this price. I am a little surprised someone would even be thinking of booking a basic 7 day cruise 2 years in advance anyway? Do remember if people are willing to pay these prices good for the cruise line. If the prices are scaring people away, the cruise line will drop the price. It is what we call capitalism.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I see balcony pricing with perks and third guest choice for $1249 pp. this is for most scheduled sailings, excluding the Xmas holidays. How is this out of line pricing, especially for a new sexy ship? Someone explain this to me please.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I see balcony pricing with perks and third guest choice for $1249 pp. this is for most scheduled sailings, excluding the Xmas holidays. How is this out of line pricing, especially for a new sexy ship? Someone explain this to me please.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my original post it referred to sailings in April 2020, not off peak in Nov/Dec. There is no extra guest choice and the price jumps $2000 (over 5K for four in a balcony) from Dec to April. I was simply noting that Carnival Panorama which debuts has us in an extended aft balcony for four at $2000 less than Encore pretty much the same week. I always sail in April and have never seen a price even remotely that high from NCL, new ship or not. Again, just making an innocent observation as that's a lot of money.

New ships always get premium pricing. The pricing structure is not outrageous by any means when you compare to new ships across the major cruise lines. Generally the premium pricing runs for about a year and then once the novelty wears off, the pricing falls more in line with the rest of the line. But if you want to be 'first onboard the new ship' you're going to pay for it.

In my original post it referred to sailings in April 2020, not off peak in Nov/Dec. There is no extra guest choice and the price jumps $2000 (over 5K for four in a balcony) from Dec to April. I was simply noting that Carnival Panorama which debuts has us in an extended aft balcony for four at $2000 less than Encore pretty much the same week. I always sail in April and have never seen a price even remotely that high from NCL, new ship or not. Again, just making an innocent observation as that's a lot of money.

There are no published NCL cruises in April 2020 that come close to what you'd pay on Carnival. The Carnival price of $3000 for 4 in a balcony comes out to less than $650 pp before taxes and port fees which is pretty darn cheap.

Perhaps you would be surprised at the money you can save when you do book 2 years in advance when bookings open. There may be adjustments alright ..... up.

I totally agree.

It is a bit psycho to book 2 years (or more) in advance but that's what I and many others do in order to save and to get the best stateroom choice. It's even crazier to book a brand new ship class on a line that I've never sailed (MSC Seaside) more than 2 years out. I might do the same with Celebrity Edge. Those who have sailed Escape will be familiar with Bliss or Encore but there is still enough "original content" to make it exciting.

I totally agree.

It is a bit psycho to book 2 years (or more) in advance but that's what I and many others do in order to save and to get the best stateroom choice. It's even crazier to book a brand new ship class on a line that I've never sailed (MSC Seaside) more than 2 years out. I might do the same with Celebrity Edge. Those who have sailed Escape will be familiar with Bliss or Encore but there is still enough "original content" to make it exciting.

I actually booked the MSC Seaside over two years out. We sail in exactly two weeks. That was under under 3K for a balcony for four for a week. Our first MSC cruise ...... I guess that's why when I see over 5K on the Encore it's shocking. The Seaside is brand new as well for those that don't know.

There are no published NCL cruises in April 2020 that come close to what you'd pay on Carnival. The Carnival price of $3000 for 4 in a balcony comes out to less than $650 pp before taxes and port fees which is pretty darn cheap.
Panorama is $975 for guests one and two and $169 for three and four. $106 taxes/port per person, so essentially yes . Very rarely do I think any cruise price is really great but that one is for an aft-extended balcony on brand new ship.

I booked a New Years cruise on the Bliss Dec 2019 from NYC. Have to go when off work and cruises in Jan is 12 and 14 days. Wife does not want to fly so have to cruise local NY area. An inside cabin is $3,100. Balcony is going for $4,000 for two people not including taxes and fees.

oh for heavens sake, it is 2 years out and we all know, I am sure you do as well this is just a starting price. There will be a lot of adjustments to this price. I am a little surprised someone would even be thinking of booking a basic 7 day cruise 2 years in advance anyway? Do remember if people are willing to pay these prices good for the cruise line. If the prices are scaring people away, the cruise line will drop the price. It is what we call capitalism.

Well said it is that simple!

I booked a studio on the Bliss Transatlantic right when it went on sale, got a reasonable price. The studio rates for the Encore transatlantic are a little more than double what Bliss was. Nope, not going on this one. Lots of new big ships being built right now, eventually there will be more rooms than passengers

Sent from my LG-H831 using Forums mobile app

While I agree about the encore prices, you can't compare them to Carnival's Panorama, because the Panorama goes from Long Beach, Ca., which is an entirely different market.
Because of the lack of competition in general and especially new builds in California, the Panorama should be priced out of this world, but is more of a value at this time for some. The Encore will be based in an area with lots of competitors, including new builds from various cruise lines and should be more in line with them, albeit at a slightly higher price point, not an outrageously higher one as some have stated in this thread.

Because of the lack of competition in general and especially new builds in California, the Panorama should be priced out of this world, but is more of a value at this time for some. The Encore will be based in an area with lots of competitors, including new builds from various cruise lines and should be more in line with them, albeit at a slightly higher price point, not an outrageously higher one as some have stated in this thread.

I think it is important to remember a couple of things: 1-Carnival is the only line that goes out of Long Beach but San Pedro is only a few minutes away and many ships do leave from San Pedro so your point about competition is not totally accurate. The other issue, the demographics of those who sail out of So Ca is very different and the ports are fairly limited. So the cost issue isn't really in play that much either.

I can't believe the price they are asking for the New Encore 7 day sailing for April 2020. The itinerary sucks and I only paid $700 more for my 15 day Panama Canal on the Bliss for 2019 inside cabin vs Encore balcony cabin. They've lost their mind. Over 5k for this on Encore without gratuities or beverage promos too. Who is actually booking this ripoff? I loved the Escape and paid about half that price. To compare, I booked an extended aft balcony on Carnival's new Panorama for seven days in April 2020. Openings started this week. I got it for $2000+ less than the week on Encore for seven days. That's a huge difference and way better deal, almost absurd. Why the ludicrous price for Encore and who's foolish enough to book this turd of a sailing?

This is the first time we aren't booked on an inaugural sailing with NCL in years!

Why? I have booked cruises on opening day, and have been cruising NCL for 10 years now. The pricing is WAY out of whack. Berating someone for their opinion is just childish.

To compare, I booked an extended aft balcony on Carnival's new Panorama for seven days in April 2020.

:) I did too, for February 2020, for the bargain it is right now. And they're Havana staterooms with Havana benefits.

You forgot the biggest downside.......it's Carnival.:p

NOW NOW NOW, their newer ships are really nice and the food is actually very good. Rooms are good size and they still provide plenty of nice deck space.

Don't get on the Anti - Carnival train just yet. I know some wealthy people in FLA who go on Carnival because they are fun and brightly decorated. Those same people used to travel with Holland and have since left them because of the blah activities as well as their older crowd too

NOW NOW NOW, their newer ships are really nice and the food is actually very good. Rooms are good size and they still provide plenty of nice deck space.

Don't get on the Anti - Carnival train just yet. I know some wealthy people in FLA who go on Carnival because they are fun and brightly decorated. Those same people used to travel with Holland and have since left them because of the blah activities as well as their older crowd too

Former Carnival cruiser here.

I still have relatives who love Carnival....probably because they haven't sailed anything else. ;p

(We have to take shots at Carnival on the NCL forum just as the Carnival forum takes shots at RCCL, takes shots at Celebrity, takes shots at...)