Reserving Pool Deck Chairs perfectly fine

jkneern

1. I wish people would follow the policy.

2. If #1 fails, I wish Carnival would enforce the policy.

3. If #1 and #2 fail, I'm on vacation and I'm not going to waste an hour staring at chairs to see if the hogs show up or not. I'm going to find chairs elsewhere. But if you decide to evict a hog's belongings, I'm all for it - just make sure it's someone who actually violated the rule and not someone who just left to grab a margarita.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I really, really don't understand why the simplest, maybe $20/chair, solution I can think of isn't implemented.

A light attached to each chair that says "occupied" which you switch on by pushing it. After some time, maybe 40 minutes, maybe 20, it switches off automatically.

All the crew has to do is clear a chair when the light is off , no matter how many free chairs are available or how much tip they got. One clear and simple rule, the crew just does what they are supposed to do, tell angry passengers that they follow policy which is explained in simple words on the sign. Everybody happy.

Most likely because a $20 light multiplied by 100,000 chairs equals $2,000,000 Carnival would have to spend. Also, I have witnessed Carnival deck hands spraying the deck chairs at 0400 to clean them which would not be good thing to an electronic device.

I just wish there was a way to successfully educate and guilt passengers through friendly reminders once on board. We've had people overhear us talking about chair hogs and explain to us that you have to save chairs first thing in the morning, or you won't get one later. Well, no, not if no one saves chairs. The same seat can be used by several different people at different times of the day, or "saved" by one person all day. Which practice benefits everyone?

Education is immaterial. Educating someone who doesn't give a hoot about anyone other than themselves won't change a thing. A perfect example is all of the self proclaimed smugglers here. They have been "educated" adn yet they still make bold claims that they will smuggle until they take their dying breath. It's not the lack of knowledge, it's the lack of giving a you know what.

It's my vacation I'll save chairs when ever and where ever I like!!!🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Another member of the me generation has surfaced. Thank goodness I will not have to deal with these self indulgent morons in the Havana area on my two Horizon sailings.

It's simple.

There are only 2 small signs that most will not see anyway

The crew informs some they are not allowed to touch anyone's personal belongings

The crew does nothing in most vasss when advised of a so called chair hog.

Even if the crew is informed that a chair has been saved for over 40 minutes, how can they trust a strangers word? They would have to start the 40 minute clock when they are told, not when someone else claims it was saved for 40 minutes.

So what it comes down to, for the most part, 8/ the crew won't do a think about it.

So, get there early and save some seats or go find an empty chair as far away from the pool as possible.

True, but is it worth 1,400.00-1,600.00 more for Havana , to miss chair hogs?

I agree, it definitely would not be worth that much. However, it’s not that big of a difference. I think it is $150 pp difference for our 8 night summer cruise in an interior. Now that’s definitely worth it...IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most likely because a $20 light multiplied by 100,000 chairs equals $2,000,000 Carnival would have to spend. Also, I have witnessed Carnival deck hands spraying the deck chairs at 0400 to clean them which would not be good thing to an electronic device.

$2 million is real money for you and me, but to multi-billion company it's nothing when it can stop people complaining. I'm sure some company can come up with lights that survive spraying.

I'm sure we've all pretty much seen everything in terms of the stuff the chair hogs use to save their chairs. I took a photo of these four chairs on our last Conquest cruise - two pairs of matching flip flops saving loungers. Either there were two people saving four chairs or there were four one-legged people on our cruise. Edit: this was about 7:30AM on a sea day.

20180312_102446_zpsxu2cpbi0.jpg

I wish they would just change the rules to 10min, I think 40min is to long

There certainly is a group that wants to. Me out and drop off and then breakfast, but right at the end they meet somebody and sit with them then stop back at the cabin then head out.....oh my look it’s time for lunch.....

It's simple.

The crew informs some they are not allowed to touch anyone's personal belongings

Even if the crew is informed that a chair has been saved for over 40 minutes, how can they trust a strangers word? They would have to start the 40 minute clock when they are told, not when someone else claims it was saved for 40 minutes.

So what it comes down to, for the most part, 8/ the crew won't do a think about it.

So, get there early and save some seats or go find an empty chair as far away from the pool as possible.

This is what frustrates me -- telling people that they have to go early and save seats. This is what makes the problem so much worse.

It is simple. Don't save a seat before you plan to sit in it. If you've left the area (and not just to get something and come back), take your belongings with you.

If it were bothering me, rather than stew about it, I would have turned the items in to where you return your towels and say you thought someone forgot them. They're certainly not going to go put the stuff back on the chairs and if they won't address it, it's highly unlikely that they would confront you about it either...I hope that was the worst thing that happened while you were away on vacation and the rest of your cruise was fantastic.

Why should a guest do the staff's job. She shouldn't have had to even bring it to their attention but certainly once she did it was their job to remove the items.

Another member of the me generation has surfaced. Thank goodness I will not have to deal with these self indulgent morons in the Havana area on my two Horizon sailings.
Was meant as a joke and by the way I'm im my fifties and can afford to travel as I please So you never know I might be the guy on the balcony next to you smoking or sitting at dinner with you wearing shorts and flip flops cause it's my vacation and I'll do as I like!![emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

It's simple.

Or better yet......go early, save some seats with your Carnival Towel, have someone like me take that towel and plant my butt in your saved chair, you pay Carnival $25 for your missing towel at the end of the cruise. :*

$2 million is real money for you and me, but to multi-billion company it's nothing when it can stop people complaining. I'm sure some company can come up with lights that survive spraying.

And I'm sure if Carnival thought spending $2m would stop people from acting like jerks on a cruise, they would gladly do so. But they understand it wouldn't stop anything because many of the crew members will not enforce Carnival's rules so it's not worth it.

I don't know what prices are now but when I sailed in the Havana on the Vista last March it was only $95 per person more than the PT cabin I had booked.

Mine next month is 400 more per person

Was meant as a joke and by the way I'm im my fifties and can afford to travel as I please So you never know I might be the guy on the balcony next to you smoking or sitting at dinner with you wearing shorts and flip flops cause it's my vacation and I'll do as I like!![emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Your original post had no sarcastic emoji following it, so it obviously seemly like you were serious and not being tongue in cheek. I'm glad that you have the discretionary income to travel as you please, but don't smoke on your balcony. It's alright to kill yourself, but have the common decency to not spread second hand smoke. And make sure that you hide your rum runners well and please be more innovative when you are a chair hog on sea days. :rolleyes:

And I'm sure if Carnival thought spending $2m would stop people from acting like jerks on a cruise, they would gladly do so. But they understand it wouldn't stop anything because many of the crew members will not enforce Carnival's rules so it's not worth it.

IMHO, the crew is between a rock and a hard place when dealing with chair hoggers. "Can't have been 45 minutes, Rachel and I just went shopping for a bit and.. well OK maybe 50 minutes if you say so. But come on, FIVE minutes! We got up at 6 to get these chairs!". Both waiting guests and hogging guests are now angry. The crew gets bad ratings affecting their carreer while they couldn't care less which guest is laying on which chair. No wonder they don't enforce rules.

If a crewmember only has to abide by a system that's as simple as a traffic light, similar to "dealer must hit soft 17" at a Black Jack table, it's useless to argue, and crew members would follow the rules as strict as they follow rules about mustering.

The chair hog debate is a well-worn subject here. My personal view is to let the hogs have the trough and take a nice chair somewhere else. The hogs seems to congregate around the pool area, and it sometimes smells.

I agree totally. I love the quiet spots.

I don't like that people hog chairs that they don't use, or don't use until a much later time, but I also admit that it does not affect me, since I do not tend to use a deck chair near a pool, or in the open area of a deck that gets direct sun.

Having a senior family member battling melanoma, and he did spend hours many "moons" ago in the direct sun, tanning, I have become wary of the sun. Not to mention my own excessive sun exposure in the past and a resulting sun stroke. I am now not able to tolerate direct exposure to the sun for much time, so again, the chair hog situation does not directly impact me.

I still hate to see though that some see fit to lay a shoe or flip flop or towel on a chair, at early hours and then not use it till many hours later. That reeks of greedy, me me attitude that our society is so full of today. ie; my vacation, I will do as I please, I earned it. etc etc. to hell with every one else. I hate that attitude.

I saw a lady fall in the parking lot of my grocery store the other day, cars just whizzed by her, and some cars slowed down and looked, and when she slowly got up, they sped off. I asked her if she ok. and yes she was, but the sheer number of people who sped by and cared less was shocking to me.

As I age, society is just shocking me more, as is my own community, which I always thought was a caring one. Guess not.

Still....I don't like chair hogs.! (or other selfish kinds of people either)

Why should a guest do the staff's job. She shouldn't have had to even bring it to their attention but certainly once she did it was their job to remove the items.

I don't disagree and I genuinely wasn't trying to be a jerk about the situation. I seriously do not care about moving items that have been sitting for longer than the allotted times and feigning ignorance about their removal. I typically vacation to beach locales, in fact earlier this month, I was staying at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas on Maui. The ocean activates booth doesn't open before 8 and there were PLENTY of chair hogs there too. They had to wait until 9 to tag items, but they did it-unlike Carnival. I just was offering a suggestion on mitigation frustration.

Oh Geez-Just an observation

Never said it bothered me, never stewed about it and certainly had nothing to do with my vacation but thanks for your concern.

I apologize, I felt the post seemed to indicate you were annoyed. I truly hope you had a nice vacation and wasn't trying to be rude in anyway. I am known in my family friends that we travel with as the one who to turn items in and should someone come looking for them, claim the chair was open when I sat down. I state the time I took the chair, followed up with what time did you put your stuff here? Of course, they're not sure and I have never been sitting there less than an hour when they have arrived. They usually walk away grumbling to one another but that is the end of it. I too wish there was enforcement of rules, and wasn't trying to indicate you should have to put up with the nonsense.

Here’s one article I found on the subject and yes I have seen it enforced.

https://www.cruiseabout.com.au/cruise-news/carnival-cruises-deck-chair-crackdown

Here is right from Carnival’s website. And you were saying?????

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1121/~/reserving-sun-loungers

I like the time policy on the chairs. We just back from the Dream yesterday though and this was not used. while I don't use the sun chairs, I make lots of trips to the buffet. :)