Reserving Pool Deck Chairs perfectly fine

jkneern

When someone drags themselves out of bed at 6am, looking like death warmed over, just to toss a couple flip flops on deck chairs, knowing very well that they're going back to bed for a few more hours, 40 minute rule or not, that's still uncalled for. Personally, I think 40 minutes is far too generous. If you're going to leave your chair that long, you should lose it. If you want to go eat lunch, you should lose it.

And this is precisely what has driven us to pay the extra for a Havana Cabana on our next Carnival cruise!
And the fact that no one under the age of 12 will be in the vicinity until 7:00 PM is a very nice added bonus. At 7:00, happy hour will be over and I will be sitting down for dinner. The rugrats could run rampant all over the Havana area then and I could care less. ;)

I wonder how many people were actually using the nearby pools or hot tubs and had their stuff moved by somebody who just assumed their chairs just occupied by chair hogs? That would definitely start an argument with me.

I'm more irritated with the people who think they just have the right to touch other people's things rather than chair hogs. Especially since I don't care to just lay in my chair all day. I use it for about an hour or so to dry after pool time and that's it.

But hey, it's a personal preference. Which is why i like balconies and now the new Havana area that allows for more space for people in those cabins.

We were on a cruise last yr and this family asked us if we wanted their chairs... Yes

We sat there for a couple of hrs when these "creeps" came up to us and told us that "these are our chairs" we had them since the am

Wanted to know where their "towels" were? Those "towels" are costing them $$ Good that is what you get for being so stupid.

First we did NOT take your "towels" we have our own "personal towels" (easier to find my chair if I get lost..lol)

second you have no idea who sat here before us. Third stop hogging chairs !!!

They carried on ... but away from us.. talking to their friends and pointing their fingers at us... (grandma said when you point a finger at one

you point three back at yourself.)

Sad that this happens.... but it happens on all the cruise lines too.

I wonder how many people were actually using the nearby pools or hot tubs and had their stuff moved by somebody who just assumed their chairs just occupied by chair hogs? That would definitely start an argument with me.

I'm more irritated with the people who think they just have the right to touch other people's things rather than chair hogs. Especially since I don't care to just lay in my chair all day. I use it for about an hour or so to dry after pool time and that's it.

But hey, it's a personal preference. Which is why i like balconies and now the new Havana area that allows for more space for people in those cabins.

It doesn't matter if you are in the pool or hot tub. If you're butt isn't in the chair for 40 minutes you can kiss it goodbye, argument or not. Of course, if you want to argue, I'll just call out for security and you can argue with them.......while I'm sitting in the chair. :p

It doesn't matter if you are in the pool or hot tub. If you're butt isn't in the chair for 40 minutes you can kiss it goodbye, argument or not. Of course, if you want to argue, I'll just call out for security and you can argue with them.......while I'm sitting in the chair. :p

Sooo, what you're saying is, nobody is allowed to used the pool/hot tub while putting their belongings in a chair? What do you suggest they do with them? Leave their towel, coverup, sandals, sunscreen, etc. in their cabins and just walk back from the pool dripping wet?:confused:

I personally like to get a chair near the hot tub or pool I'm in so I can keep an eye on my stuff for people like you lbs.

I'm sure we've all pretty much seen everything in terms of the stuff the chair hogs use to save their chairs. I took a photo of these four chairs on our last Conquest cruise - two pairs of matching flip flops saving loungers. Either there were two people saving four chairs or there were four one-legged people on our cruise. Edit: this was about 7:30AM on a sea day.

20180312_102446_zpsxu2cpbi0.jpg

I i saw this....for like an hour....there would only be one thing on that chair when they got back....and that would me ME! LOL...bring it on

Sooo, what you're saying is, nobody is allowed to used the pool/hot tub while putting their belongings in a chair? What do you suggest they do with them? Leave their towel, coverup, sandals, sunscreen, etc. in their cabins and just walk back from the pool dripping wet?:confused:

I personally like to get a chair near the hot tub or pool I'm in so I can keep an eye on my stuff for people like you lbs.

No, what he's saying is, if you're out of your chair for 40 minutes or more, you lose the chair. That's the rule. There's no way for another passenger or the deck attendant to know if that stuff belongs to someone in the pool/hot tub. The owner needs to take responsibility for their own belongings and keep an eye on them. After 40 minutes in the pool or hot tub, it's not too much to ask a person to go back to the chair to show others it's still being used by someone abiding by the rules.

No, what he's saying is, if you're out of your chair for 40 minutes or more, you lose the chair. That's the rule. There's no way for another passenger or the deck attendant to know if that stuff belongs to someone in the pool/hot tub. The owner needs to take responsibility for their own belongings and keep an eye on them. After 40 minutes in the pool or hot tub, it's not too much to ask a person to go back to the chair to show others it's still being used by someone abiding by the rules.

Oh no, here we go again, asking people to follow the rules on a cruise ship...and a Carnival cruise ship at that. LOL

Good luck! :evilsmile:

• 1 month later...
I don't like to sit in the sun so I rarely use the front. I do have children and on the occasion they want to swim, I will sit by the pool to watch them. I sit wherever there is an chair not being used by a body. My child will only stay in the pool a few minutes anyway before going back to the hot tubs. Unfortunately I have never once had anyone confront me about sitting in there chair!

You do know children are not supposed to be in the hot tubs, right? So, you don't break the chair hog rule but it is ok to break another?

Another irritating situation is when someone 'holds" the chair for someone else - friend, child, etc. - and that person never shows up. I refuse to hold chairs on deck or in the lounges for my friends. If they want one, they better get there when I do.

You do know children are not supposed to be in the hot tubs, right? So, you don't break the chair hog rule but it is ok to break another?

False. Kids have the right to use the hot tubs, but if under the age of 14 (I believe) they are supposed to have parental supervision. The only hot tubs that I can think of that are off limits to kids are the two in the adult pool section on certain ships.

It would be nice if they would enforce it instead of relying on the guests to do so.

This is funny, exactly how do they monitor hundreds of people, in the deck chairs, all day, with maybe 2 or 3 pool monitors??? How about the rude and selfish people that go and put the stuff on the chairs, then leave for 2 hrs??? It is not like they have the extra staff to specifically watch and time the chair issue, silly and unrealistic. I am sure the signs are posted for the guests to actually read them and take it into consideration when they use the chairs. But totally unrealistic to think they can monitor the situation all day, every day. If you want a chair and you HAVE been watching the situation for a long time, then take the stuff to pool/towel shack and leave it there.

and here along I thought ,Carnival had an early morning free give aways ,, Towels , flip flops , books , magazines .. Thought they were out free for the taking !;p;p;p

Lol choose your chair based on the free gift it comes with lol

This is funny, exactly how do they monitor hundreds of people, in the deck chairs, all day, with maybe 2 or 3 pool monitors??? How about the rude and selfish people that go and put the stuff on the chairs, then leave for 2 hrs??? It is not like they have the extra staff to specifically watch and time the chair issue, silly and unrealistic. I am sure the signs are posted for the guests to actually read them and take it into consideration when they use the chairs. But totally unrealistic to think they can monitor the situation all day, every day. If you want a chair and you HAVE been watching the situation for a long time, then take the stuff to pool/towel shack and leave it there.

I've watched Carnival staff put stickers on several saved chairs. The stickers have the time written on them. If the sticker is not removed within 40 minutes they will take the stuff in the chair up to the towel bar. I've seen it happen. Not nearly often enough, but it does happen. It was either on the Miracle or the Victory. I saw her clear 4 chairs, and when I returned towels there were several bags behind the desk. This was in the Serenity Deck. I did mention how happy I was to see that on my email survey.

Hot tops are usually 104 and hotter. I hear these are far from hot tubs that the water is just warm, thus it will not harm the children.

Is this true?

While I have no love loss for chair hogs/bullies, there is a bigger problem at play. Why can't there be enough space for everyone? Sure, you don't have enough room to put up a lounger for 2,000 - 4,000 people. However, there is stuff that can be done. Some decks are not maximized. Maybe there needs to be more activities during the day on sea days.

While I have no love loss for chair hogs/bullies, there is a bigger problem at play. Why can't there be enough space for everyone? Sure, you don't have enough room to put up a lounger for 2,000 - 4,000 people. However, there is stuff that can be done. Some decks are not maximized. Maybe there needs to be more activities during the day on sea days.

Another good point is, 90% of the people laying in chairs around the pool do not in fact, use the pool. If I did not have kids or if I didn't like the pool, I can easily see myself on the top deck surrounding the pools.

If I were to notice an empty chair aka flipflop chair for 20 mins I would take their chair. If they came back mad I would tell them straight up that they have been gone for around a half hour and the chair is no longer theirs after that long. But I'm not a small guy so unless the dude was over 6 foot and was a bodybuilder I don't think anybody is gonna push their luck trying to take it back.

I also never sit by the pool and will go round the ship a few times looking for 2 chairs near each other for me and my wife, as I will drag them to a better spot if need be . Honestly I only ever had a problem not finding a chair one time out of 5 cruises and like 9-10 sea days.

I have a pool at home....so could care less about spending my vacation sitting around a pool with a bunch of people fighting over chairs......there you go, one more chair for the rest of you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums