Reserving Pool Deck Chairs perfectly fine

jkneern

Was on Sunshine March 11th - 16th and had problems finding a deck chair on sea day. We had gone on a tour in the morning and thus didn't get to the pool until 1pm.

I moved people's stuff off their unused deck chairs twice and magically those people showed up quite quickly to return to their chairs. I finally went down to Guest Services and asked them to call up to the towel kiosk where a lovely staff member found me a chair.

That was the only problem we had on our whole cruise and I put the problem completely on selfish, demanding, and rude people and not at all on the cruise line.

I will also say that the way the pool is set up is difficult for those that are actually using their deck chairs but going to get food, drink, etc. The line ups as so long that you can be in line for food for 20 minutes.

I know there are always a bunch of posts about chair hogs so I did my own investigation.

Last week on the Fascination, All the chairs around the immediate area of the pool were taken ( a towel- a shoe- a book were placed on them) by 8:30-9am on the only sea day.

I decided to ask the pool attendants (there were several) if this was allowed?

I pointed out the 2 signs that were posted by Carnival (very strategically placed as well) stating that chairs that were not to be reserved. The signs went on to say any items left on chairs for more than 40 mins would be removed and kept at the towel station for safe keeping.

The response.....oh I don't know what that means???? We not touch guests belongings, it not allowed.......

I pointed out that there were 6 chairs right where we were sitting that no one had been sitting in during the 2 hours we had been there. There were so many people who wanted to sit by the pool but there were none available.

All I got was a shrug of the shoulders........I guess it means its ok to do. Another Carnival rule not followed.

Having a rule not enforced in no way correlates it must be okay to do. That is the equivalent of saying it must be okay to drive 100 mph when there is no cop around to enforce the speed limit. :rolleyes:

I really, really don't understand why the simplest, maybe $20/chair, solution I can think of isn't implemented.

A light attached to each chair that says "occupied" which you switch on by pushing it. After some time, maybe 40 minutes, maybe 20, it switches off automatically.

All the crew has to do is clear a chair when the light is off , no matter how many free chairs are available or how much tip they got. One clear and simple rule, the crew just does what they are supposed to do, tell angry passengers that they follow policy which is explained in simple words on the sign. Everybody happy.

Need to talk to the correct crew member. The gal cleaning up has no authority. On the Miracle, for example) you need to talk to the crew at the towel desk. They’re brutal with enforcing the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is a link to an article on cruise critic that you might find interesting. https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2055

Thanks for sharing that since I haven never experienced a hot tub on a cruise ship- I believe they are referred to as "spas". that being the bubbles making it spa. If a child fell under the bubbles no one would see them. They are just warmer than the pools. I do agree that there should be more of a kiddee pool on a ship, and they could easily build one in the waterpark area. The newer the waterpark it seems, the less water flows.

Since you cant smoke in the area of the pool, I wont have to worry about chair hogs, being tossed from a chair, or other physical assault. I will be sitting quietly, having a smoke, drinking a fruity punch drink, far away from the pool. By the way, to me the quietest place on the ship is the water park area, late afternoon, plenty of space, lots of wind and sun, and the laughter of children. Very few chair hogs up there.

I don't do the Lido on sea days. Way too loud and crowded. We are early risers and often notice people going to the pool area as early as 6:30 in their pj's dropping flip flops and towels on chairs then turning around and going back from where they came. I just laugh cause that's the last place I want to be later in the day.

I know there are always a bunch of posts about chair hogs so I did my own investigation.

Last week on the Fascination, All the chairs around the immediate area of the pool were taken ( a towel- a shoe- a book were placed on them) by 8:30-9am on the only sea day.

I pointed out the 2 signs that were posted by Carnival (very strategically placed as well) stating that chairs that were not to be reserved. The signs went on to say any items left on chairs for more than 40 mins would be removed and kept at the towel station for safe keeping.

The response.....oh I don't know what that means???? We not touch guests belongings, it not allowed.......

I pointed out that there were 6 chairs right where we were sitting that no one had been sitting in during the 2 hours we had been there. There were so many people who wanted to sit by the pool but there were none available.

All I got was a shrug of the shoulders........I guess it means its ok to do. Another Carnival rule not followed.

They enforced the rules on the Vista in Nov.

I really, really don't understand why the simplest, maybe $20/chair, solution I can think of isn't implemented.

A light attached to each chair that says "occupied" which you switch on by pushing it. After some time, maybe 40 minutes, maybe 20, it switches off automatically.

All the crew has to do is clear a chair when the light is off , no matter how many free chairs are available or how much tip they got. One clear and simple rule, the crew just does what they are supposed to do, tell angry passengers that they follow policy which is explained in simple words on the sign. Everybody happy.

Do you realize how many times a day and/or week those chairs are moved and stacked up? And that they are always stacked after they have been put in the flat position. Can you imagine the upkeep on a bunch of lights that make it difficult to stack these chairs flat? I would bet the overall cost to keep you suggestion working would be significantly more than a $20/chair issue.

For what it is worth RCI, has same policy and I basically had to get loud with an attendant because they put a sticker on their chair and after 40 minutes things were to be removed. Needless to say 40 min. Came and went the other attendant wasn't going to take the things till I basically flipped out on him. So the rules aren't followed on other lines either

I moved towels from chairs twice on our last cruise. Both times were just the blue carnival towels, no personal belongings. Clearly thrown on chairs to hold them, towels folded and untouched. Stood up on 11 and waited for over an hour and finally we moved 2 towels and took the chairs (both times at 10am). On one occasion nobody showed up and we were there until 5pm. The other time 2 teenage girls showed up around 1 am. We told them we had no clue where their towels were and that the chairs were empty when we took them.

And I would do it again.

I believe it would be far easier for crew to enforce the no-saving rules if they did not fear getting negative feedback from the customer whose stuff they remove. Perhaps if once you have your belongings removed from a unoccupied chair, no post-cruise survey for you and it is notated on your account should you complain at guest services.

I believe it would be far easier for crew to enforce the no-saving rules if they did not fear getting negative feedback from the customer whose stuff they remove. Perhaps if once you have your belongings removed from a unoccupied chair, no post-cruise survey for you and it is notated on your account should you complain at guest services.

First of all, one would have to know whose stuff was removed from the chair. Most of the time, people are smart enough not to leave personal stuff (other than flip flops) on the chairs. Most of the time it is just pool/beach towels. From my recent cruises, I have seen crew members going around and putting the stickers on the chairs with the time on the sticker. And I have seen them go back when the 40 minutes is up and clearing the chairs off if no one has returned. My approach is to sit the persons stuff under the chair and sit down on it. Also I write down the time I sat down. If the person comes back to that chair after the 40 minute time frame has expired I simply point to the sign and show them the time I sat down. If they care to go get the attendant and make an issue of it, I will show the attendant the time I sat down and the time they returned and point to the sign. Nuf said.

I just wish there was a way to successfully educate and guilt passengers through friendly reminders once on board. We've had people overhear us talking about chair hogs and explain to us that you have to save chairs first thing in the morning, or you won't get one later. Well, no, not if no one saves chairs. The same seat can be used by several different people at different times of the day, or "saved" by one person all day. Which practice benefits everyone?

I just wish there was a way to successfully educate and guilt passengers through friendly reminders once on board. We've had people overhear us talking about chair hogs and explain to us that you have to save chairs first thing in the morning, or you won't get one later. Well, no, not if no one saves chairs. The same seat can be used by several different people at different times of the day, or "saved" by one person all day. Which practice benefits everyone?

Well therein lies the problem. No one cares what practice benefits EVERYONE, they only care about THEMSELVES. Why should they care that you don't have a chair as long as THEY have what they want?

Well therein lies the problem. No one cares what practice benefits EVERYONE, they only care about THEMSELVES. Why should they care that you don't have a chair as long as THEY have what they want?

They have to send someone in their party to save seats at some early hour and abandon their towels/flipflops/etc for hours at a time, and they can't pick different seats later because someone else has "saved" those seats.

Even when I cruise without my kids, I have no interest in sitting in the same spot all day long. Don't most people want to split up their day between spots in the sun versus shade (or following the sun), spots near the pool or somewhere quiet to nap, near the food or with a good view, etc.? Wouldn't everyone like the luxury of wandering by at 10 a.m. or 2 p.m. and sitting for a bit before moving on? I've been on Carnival cruises where that was possible and cruises where it was not.

I believe it would be far easier for crew to enforce the no-saving rules if they did not fear getting negative feedback from the customer whose stuff they remove.
Agreed. I'm not saying none of them enforce the rules, because plenty of them do. But there are also plenty of ones throughout the fleet who don't. Like the one the OP of this thread talked to. They told the OP they're not allowed to touch people's stuff. Not true, they are if it's been 40 min. or more. But that person was probably afraid of possible repercussions, even if that's just getting griped at by a guest who is technically in the wrong. If Carnival stood behind their employees for enforcing their own rules, a majority of those employees would feel more comfortable doing it. The problem comes when Carnival doesn't always enforce its own rules out of fear of losing a customer. Employees see that and act accordingly.