New Dress Code Designations?

bluemarble

I do like to dress up. Why is your opinion of "dressing up" more pertinent than mine? If they do change the "rules", then just don't travel on Cunard. I am sure there are many others who will book a Cunard cruise if the formal nights become more moderate. In reality, the cruise line is a business. They will do whatever necessary to protect their bottom line, whether we like it or not. I choose to go with the flow. I will dress up, and if someone else doesn't it will not effect my having a good time. There is room for all different kinds of people in this world. We should all be more tolerant and accepting.

Years ago, before a Cunard trip (cannot recall if it was a transatlantic crossing or a Panama Canal cruise) I made the mistake of asking a question here about the dress code, being concerned about luggage. Well, the responses I got were little short of rude. Seems contradictory to me, to be so incensed about a dress code while being impolite to someone simply seeking information.

Anyway, I do like the current dress code, but as many have said here Cunard is a business and they must do whatever it takes to thrive. I want them to stay around and if I have to see someone wearing something I would not myself wear, so be it. Live and let live.

Totally acceptable for King's Court or Lido.

It’s also acceptable in QG - according to the Maitre d’. Every warm weather voyage we have been on, and that’s a good number, my husband has made a point of asking - and always been told “but of course”. And

he is far from the only one!

So, if one does not dress like everyone else on the ship, they are "dumb"? Cunard will do whatever they need to increase passenger numbers. They do not care whether the passengers are dressed or not, as long as they have "green". No amount of complaining on this board or to the cruise line will change that.

So, if one does not dress like everyone else on the ship, they are "dumb"? Cunard will do whatever they need to increase passenger numbers. They do not care whether the passengers are dressed or not, as long as they have "green". No amount of complaining on this board or to the cruise line will change that.

It is simple, you either like the new dress code or do not. You are either happy with the way Carnival enforces the dress code or not.

If you are not happy then DO NOT TRAVEL ON CUNARD. Find another vacation. If Carnival cannot fill the ships at a price they would like to get, then they will either change their policies or shut the business.

It seems to be a common theme among those who do not wish to follow the traditional Cunard formal dress code that implies that Cunard is losing passengers and therefor must relax dress standards to keep from going out of business.

I have seen no indication of this as the ships have always been at or very near capacity every time we have been aboard in all seasons of the year. Have any of the Cunard regulars observed a measurable decrease in passengers?

It seems to be a common theme among those who do not wish to follow the traditional Cunard formal dress code that implies that Cunard is losing passengers and therefor must relax dress standards to keep from going out of business.

I have seen no indication of this as the ships have always been at or very near capacity every time we have been aboard in all seasons of the year. Have any of the Cunard regulars observed a measurable decrease in passengers?

I agree. And with a very high level of compliance to the current dress codes.

A quick look at the cruises I have booked for this year shows several categories already sold out on each, with the nearest (2 months ahead) well on the way to being full. People can't have seen it as that onerous!

I wore long, dressy "walking shorts" to breakfast and some in-port lunches in the Britannia Dining Room on QE in the Med last August. And ASKED the maitre d' if it was OK and was assured it was fine and that the dress code really came into effect after 6.00 pm as long as you didn't try to eat indoors in swimming attire, etc. So it wasn't a problem then and certainly shouldn't be now. Of course, there are shorts and there are gym shorts, sweat shorts etc. etc. which one would presume decorum would discourage from wearing but then again......

Happy to hear shorts are OK in QG on hot weather cruises.

Just as long as common sense prevails. There are Shorts ! (i.e. tailored shorts) ....... and then there are Short Shorts ! (left to ones imagination ;) ) The MD will have no hesitation in turning away folk who turn up ( in any main restaurant) for breakfast /lunch in Gym gear .

Just as long as common sense prevails. There are Shorts ! (i.e. tailored shorts) ....... and then there are Short Shorts ! (left to ones imagination ;) ) The MD will have no hesitation in turning away folk who turn up ( in any main restaurant) for breakfast /lunch in Gym gear .

No worry then as only wear tailored shorts.

While the corporate line remains "nothing has changed" one big change is "jackets are requested" and not "jacket required".

I guess this means that on a hot port day one can now head straight into dinner without bothering to take a quick "freshen up" shower and put one some fresh clothes.

Just to add my two cents to the dress code designations--On the USA Cunard website , pictures are posted under 'what to pack" to show what smart attire and gala attire would be. Pictures are obviously (to me anyway) from a catalog, showing a plain dress, heels, and shoulder bag for ladies, khakis, shirt, and jacket for men. Under formal there is the standard formal wear (for which I was very grateful!). The VP does give a little more detailed description of "smart" and "gala", but there is a lot of leeway on the smart attire, which I have noticed on previous cruises on informal nights. We cruise on QM2 in November and booked Britannia Club to see if the dress code was adhered to a little better . Obviously, some people don't think the dress code applies to them.

It's been a couple years since I've sailed on Cunard, but will be doing so again in a couple months on QM2. So I can't speak about observing changes in the passenger load. But I can speak to what I have observed about the fares being offered by Cunard for QM2 crossings.

In 2016 I was able to book a couple crossings during the peak/near peak months of July/August for a base fare of $1149 per person per crossing in a BV sheltered balcony.

This year, the best I could do for a couple crossings in June was a base fare of $1799 per person per crossing in a BV sheltered balcony, booked further in advance and with a lot less choice of cabins. This year I was able to book under the terms of a promotion offering prepaid gratuities, so that helped some.

Also, I don't think I saw as many of those last-minute $599 balcony fares being offered on off-season crossings last year as I've seen in previous years. Of course, this is just anecdotal evidence based on fares for QM2 crossings I happen to have been paying attention to. But from that perspective, I'm not seeing evidence that Cunard is struggling to fill the QM2 anyway.