I hope I didn't make a mistake with Sunshine

Megan_Strick

I already knew that Grand Turk was not the best. Last time I was there we rented a golf cart and had to explain to my 8 year old why there was a horse "sleeping" aka dead in the middle of the road. So when booking I was just going to use that as a beach day but by the looks of it Amber Cove is even worse! The water isn't even blue. I may have to suck it up and pay the fee to change cruises. Thoughts?

I liked Amber Cove AND Grand Turk...for relaxing beach and/or pool days. I cruise to rest and relax, mainly. Everybody has their own preferences and vacation styles, I guess.

The Sunshine gets mixed reviews, but I've been on her twice and absolutely LOVED it.

I already knew that Grand Turk was not the best. Last time I was there we rented a golf cart and had to explain to my 8 year old why there was a horse "sleeping" aka dead in the middle of the road. So when booking I was just going to use that as a beach day but by the looks of it Amber Cove is even worse! The water isn't even blue. I may have to suck it up and pay the fee to change cruises. Thoughts?

I don't think you've made a mistake at all. Grand Turk is one of my favorite ports once you get away from the mob of people around the port area. Up around Jack's Shack or even Governor's Beach is a great area to be in!

I liked Amber Cove AND Grand Turk...for relaxing beach and/or pool days. I cruise to rest and relax, mainly. Everybody has their own preferences and vacation styles, I guess.

The Sunshine gets mixed reviews, but I've been on her twice and absolutely LOVED it.

Usually, I always do some type of water excursion but the more I think of it the more excited I am to just "do nothing" other than lounge around. I may take advantage of the port day spa specials too. Any bad day at the beach is better than a good day at work :D

Well, most of us on here have an entirely different opinion about Grand Turk. It is a beautiful island with wonderful people. Most of us treat it as a beach day and relax right there at the pier. If you want some privacy, walk to the right, down the beach. If you want a nice island tour, walk to the left beyond the cruise section to the beach and you can pick up an island tram tour for about $20 a person. If you are lucky you will see the flamingos.

Amber Cove would be a pool day if you did not want to spend for a shore excursions. It is still a nice well done port, but if you had done your research ahead of time, you would have known that the rocky volcanic area on that portion of the island is not a beach. That said, the Dominican Republic is a beautiful island to visit and IMHO you are wasting a great port stop if you don't get out and see it. You can find plenty of private excursions on TA (we did 12 waterfalls but I would not recommend it with a child that young). DR will always stand out in our memories for the fun family excursion and worth every penny.

As for the Sunshine, it is my boys' (and our) favorite ship - jut see my signature; my youngest was about 10 when we first sailed her. Her sports square, ropes course and water park are fantastic. DH and I love all the food options from Havana breakfast to bonsai to JiJis.

But it boils down to a cruise is what you make of it. Carnival is a fun family trip and if you go with a good relaxed attitude you will have a great refreshing time!

We have been cruising since 2006 and during that time we have visited most of the Caribbean Islands during all types of weather. The water and the beach conditions have ranged for Wow to Crap. You just take a chance due to the weather conditions. We enjoy the non crowded beaches and always try to find them. In Grand Turk when walk off the ship and go through the main shop, you can turn right or turn left to get to the beach. We have done both. Turn right and you can walk and walk and walk. No shops, no bars, the beach is rocky. You can swim and be alone and look for shells. I think now they have stopped everyone from bring them back on board. But you can still have Lots of fun.;p;p When you go through the shops and turn left you must go through all the beach chair operators trying to get you to set in their chairs, they are just trying to make a dollar. Keep walking along the shore for about 1/4 mile. Then you will find Jack's Shack. They have a web site with a lot of pictures. We go there every time we are in Grand Turk. The last Hurricane did a lot of damage but I understand they are back up and running. If you go there you will find a lot of the ship's crew enjoying some time off. My point is at Jack's Shack you will find good food (jerk chicken), cold beer of all types, a nice beach all at a reasonable price. :p:p:p

I was on the Sunshine in August 2017 and was surprised at how much I really liked it, especially after reading reviews/comments on here. I did go to Ambers Cove for the 1st time in November 2017 and also enjoyed it. We rented a poolside cabana and would definitely do that again however if we couldn't we would just hang out at the pool. I am a beach/sun person, so it's perfect for me. Have fun whatever you choose!

I wouldn’t cancel, but I, like a pp, cruise mainly for rest and relaxation. NO schedules or hurry hurry!

I actually had planned to take our anniversary cruise on the Sunshine, but decided since it was our 25th that we would go on the Breeze...the ship we’ve been trying to cruise on since her inaugural sailing! I was looking forward to seeing GT but the dates don’t allow us on the Breeze cruise going to the eastern Caribbean. Another time for sure, and hopefully on the Sunshine!

Sunshine got a bad rap here that started with it coming out late from the “change”. Most of the badgers never set foot on the ship. We sailed her twice and she exceeded our expectations

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've sailed her once and booked to sail her again this September (to Bermuda....yea!!). Love the the ship. One of my favorites in the Carnival fleet.

There are definitely some pros and cons to the Carnival Sunshine. Pros: AMAZING Serenity Deck(s)-best in fleet. Large variety of complimentary and specialty dining, plenty of activities. Cons:Public areas feel crowded since they added rooms during refurb, taking away much needed space, anytime dining has extremely long waits (we waited 45 minutes on average nightly to be called with long lines just to get our beeper), ship is kind of small IMO. Itinerary doesn't look bad, definitely wouldn't cancel or pay fees to change sail date over that. Would maybe recommend doing an excursion to avoid any unpleasant sights like before. Have fun!!

I love Grand Turk for a beach day down at Jack's Shack. I haven't been to Amber Cove yet, but I know the beaches on that side are not the crystal blue of the Caribbean. I guess we'll find out for sure in May.

I love Grand Turk for a beach day down at Jack's Shack. I haven't been to Amber Cove yet, but I know the beaches on that side are not the crystal blue of the Caribbean. I guess we'll find out for sure in May.

That side of the Caribbean is called the Atlantic Ocean. And no, the waters are not crystal blue there (because it's the ocean).

There are definitely some pros and cons to the Carnival Sunshine. Pros: AMAZING Serenity Deck(s)-best in fleet. Large variety of complimentary and specialty dining, plenty of activities. Cons:Public areas feel crowded since they added rooms during refurb, taking away much needed space, anytime dining has extremely long waits (we waited 45 minutes on average nightly to be called with long lines just to get our beeper), ship is kind of small IMO. Itinerary doesn't look bad, definitely wouldn't cancel or pay fees to change sail date over that. Would maybe recommend doing an excursion to avoid any unpleasant sights like before. Have fun!!

Currently sailing on the Sunshine and I will give this a +1. We've had two days over an hour wait for any time dining. I am not a fan of the new system.

And...

There is a strong sewage stink on deck 4 from the atrium to the comedy club. And I got a few wiffs elsewhere in the cabin areas too,:eek::eek::eek:fortunately not down on deck one mid at our cabin.

Emma the CD is fantastic and has a good team around her. There was crowd surfing in the atrium this evening at her trivia sing along!

Food quality is excellent, but slow (kitchen, not staff). Four days at sea = 4 sea day brunch steak and eggs!

Hotel staff are also great.

Entertainment team is very good.

Red frog barkeep needs help. No issues in bars elsewhere.

The serenity pool is very nice as is the Cuban bar and Jiji area.

Enjoy your trip.

Right, Nerd, they are not - but hey, a beach is a beach. Could it be any worse than Galveston?

Never been to Galveston so don't know. I'd say the beaches on the north side of DR are similar to the beaches on the east coast here in Florida.