MSC Armonia Hits Dock Today

sidari

The water whirlpool funnel draining into the bow bulb doesn't look like an easy repair.

ETA: Actually I think that is just the bulb at the waterline. I guess the water might just be being dumped as ballast to help lighten the ship to get off the rocks.

Edited by Até

Looks like the pumps stopped....so atleast whatever leakage/damage that occurred is controllable. The damage shown is above sea level...I imagine the bottom hit rocks or dock underwater support and there is more serious damage we can't see

To me it looked like the anchor was dropped as it came screaming into dock. I am wondering if maybe the thrusters were stuck in forward or the couldnt get reverse thrusters for whatever reason. It looks like a controlled crash than a mistake to me.

Portside anchor was down as it hit pier!

The water was coming out while both anchors were down in the sea as can be seen on another video and the photo in an earlier post.

That picture could have been taken while anchors were being raised. If you watch the 8 min video....water stops flowing out once the anchors have been pulled out of water

Where are the people on Armonia? I don't see any.:confused:

On the Royal Caribbean board they're saying one of their ships (I think Liberty OTS) just told their guests they would be skipping Roatan tomorrow because of damage to the dock. They also said it would be a couple of days before Armonia left.

"MSC Armonia Crash Update....all guests are safe and sound. Ship is being evaluated and will be fixed. They will determine if its safe to sail today.

All guests went on there regular day of tours. Most locals were a little shaken up, many thinking it wasnt going to stop. Thankfully no one was hurt." - quote from Real Deal Roatan Tours

Not fake news when being report by many outlets with great credibility. The video shows the port anchor down, after pictures show both anchors down. Many things here seem strange, the ship did not sound the horn, before hitting, it appears no personal on the dock, and does not look like a planned docking. The angle to the dock is not right.

Seems to be more than just a error made on the bridge. I believe it will involve some type of systems mechanical issue. Maritime Executive is a know trade site and group. The video is on this site.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/video-cruise-ship-msc-armonia-strikes-pier-in-roatan#gs.UboXoww

That picture could have been taken while anchors were being raised. If you watch the 8 min video....water stops flowing out once the anchors have been pulled out of water

Per a ship captain, they use what is called anchor wash to rinse off the silt from the anchor chains as they retract them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Video from the scene shows that her port anchor was in the water as she approached the pier. A second eyewitness video made after the impact shows that her starboard anchor was also deployed at some point during the evolution. She backed away from the beach under her own power several minutes after the incident."

According to an MSC statement, "While manoeuvringalongside, for reasons that are currently still being duly investigated, the ship deviated from her course and grazed the end of the pier."

Grazed it ? Destroyed it more like ... :D :')

According to an MSC statement, "While manoeuvringalongside, for reasons that are currently still being duly investigated, the ship deviated from her course and grazed the end of the pier."

Grazed it ? Destroyed it more like ... [emoji3] :')

Anybody else find it odd that the ship is back at sea without the “Duly” investigation being complete (or at least made public).

Either something went wrong with the ship, or there was some serious human error.

Not saying the ship needs to be “tied up for life” but if I was a passenger on a ship when it crashed in to the dock like this, I’d like to have at least a preliminary explanation of what the heck happened before trying to maneuver again.

MSC must know a lot more than they are letting on because I can’t believe they would risk a second maneuvering fiasco that could be more serious without a pretty good understanding of what happened.

Honestly don’t think the USCG should let a vessel that can run out of control at 8-12 knots in to our waters without some form of public explanation and/or corrective action.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

Honestly don’t think the USCG should let a vessel that can run out of control at 8-12 knots in to our waters without some form of public explanation and/or corrective action.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

European based line, Panama registered ship, Belize port, and roundtrip from Cuba. Not sure this one is anywhere close to USCG jurisdiction.