Jumping ship from Royal Caribbean

I am loyal to my family and our budget. If it means trying a different cruise line, we are open to it.

Exactly, 23 cruises across many lines. Loyalty doesn't get you that much to make it worth not experiencing many lines and itineraries.

We started out with Royal and then bounced around doing Princess and Carnival then returned to Royal. We were a little bored on Princess and just didn't like the Carnival atmosphere. We continue to sail Royal and now Celebrity too. They've become our favored lines. I'm more loyal to me than a cruise line or my wallet. I know what I like and I'm willing to pay for it.

My only advice to people who get the urge to move on, instead of posting it here, just do it. You may end up back from whence you came.

I have done a majority of cruises on Royal with maybe one on Carnival and a few Disney cruises. I always look outside of Royal but I have this comfort of knowing what I’m getting, you know? Something about the Royal Promenade and the Grandiose nature of the ships really makes me enjoy it.

However, with the recent developments that other lines have had, in extremely tempted to try some other lines.

NCL - The Haven will most likely be my next cruise after the one we have booked in October. Even if not that Suite life, I still want to try NCL.

MSC - Yacht Club seems great but I’m hesistant about the ship in general based on what I’ve heard the “culture” is and fellow cruisers (would love some insight on this)

Celebrity - I don’t consider this jumping ship, it’s kind of like staying at a Ritz Carlton when you usually stay at Marriott, it’s still Marriott. I’d love to try Celebrity but I think it would have to be a port heavy itinerary.

I don’t have a strong desire to try carnival again, it kind of seems like RCL lite to me, if that makes sense. I’m not sure if HAL or Princess is really going to give me a product that brings to the table what I personally love about cruising. I know both of those are spectacular lines but maybe not for the things I love.

I have done a majority of cruises on Royal with maybe one on Carnival and a few Disney cruises. I always look outside of Royal but I have this comfort of knowing what I’m getting, you know? Something about the Royal Promenade and the Grandiose nature of the ships really makes me enjoy it.

However, with the recent developments that other lines have had, in extremely tempted to try some other lines.

NCL - The Haven will most likely be my next cruise after the one we have booked in October. Even if not that Suite life, I still want to try NCL.

MSC - Yacht Club seems great but I’m hesistant about the ship in general based on what I’ve heard the “culture” is and fellow cruisers (would love some insight on this)

Celebrity - I don’t consider this jumping ship, it’s kind of like staying at a Ritz Carlton when you usually stay at Marriott, it’s still Marriott. I’d love to try Celebrity but I think it would have to be a port heavy itinerary.

I don’t have a strong desire to try carnival again, it kind of seems like RCL lite to me, if that makes sense. I’m not sure if HAL or Princess is really going to give me a product that brings to the table what I personally love about cruising. I know both of those are spectacular lines but maybe not for the things I love.

We just sailed NCL Escape in a Haven Suite, other than the bathroom, there wasn’t much we liked compared to Sky/Star Class on Royal. Had NCL Bliss booked in November this year, will be cancelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've done 35 cruises, 27 on Royal Caribbean. We aren't "loyal to Royal," we just like the experience better than other lines, the price is good, and the D+ perks are valuable (although they are deteriorating as we speak it seems). 4 Carnival cruises. Had fun, but just like RCI ships better. Did HAL in Norway last year on their new ship, Kongingsdam. Then climbed on Vision for 12 night Baltics. So we were able to compare the experience. We loved Kongingsdam. But we got a great deal on an upgrade to a Neptune Suite 2 weeks before the cruise. The Neptune Suite is the second largest suite on the ship. After that we had a JS on Vision. Ok, no comparison. But we still felt comfortable on Vision and it was a fantastic cruise.

As RCI changes their product, we are getting looking more and more at other lines. I feel they're on a "race to the bottom." I always felt RCI was a cut above the other major cruise lines, but that isn't really the case anymore, and they seem too profit driven and not service and experience driven. So I think everyone needs to shop around and try other lines. No one really feels that RCI is loyal to us anymore, so why would we be loyal to them? We will stick with RCI as long as the value is there. But we are doing other lines too.

SAUSPUD!!!!! How the heck are ya?

You know I've jumped around, so i don't have any real status...except until after my solo Grandeur in 2 weeks, which will put me to Diamond!!!

Nonetheless, I get you. You have many different options over where you're at and you should explore then thoroughly. I've stuck with Royal Caribbean for the last 3 years because surprisingly, the price per day on the cruises I'm looking at is surprisingly cheaper. Royal Caribbean has more varied ports around me than Carnival. Nonetheless, we want to hit Princess but their schedule is kind of whacked so we haven't tried it yet. I've done Princess, but the wife hasn't, and my only Princess experience was a great one.

As we get older, we might try the more pricier ones if i can convince the wife of it. Azamara (which I would get equivalent status of diamond), maybe even Silversea or Oceania, though those are pricey.

We just sailed NCL Escape in a Haven Suite, other than the bathroom, there wasn’t much we liked compared to Sky/Star Class on Royal. Had NCL Bliss booked in November this year, will be cancelling.

I feel like it’s much more cost friendly than Star class with a lot of the same amenities, no?

My problem isn't that I'm 100% loyal to Royal, it's that as a parent of young kids I feel they have me locked in! The only other cruise line that has the amenities for diaper aged kids is Disney IMO. The most important thing being a pool clearly defined for swim diapers, and a nursery. I'm not a Disney fan (plus their cruises are way too expensive) so Royal is it for another couple years!

Interesting - you say you are loyal to Royal however your signature reads 15 cruises on 7 cruise lines. At best 60% of the cruises were on Royal. Sounds like you've been jumping all along.

No, Im saying Im not loyal anymore and probably wont be sailing with them again in the near future.

Ive tried other lines before Royal and have now returned back to them.

I feel like it’s much more cost friendly than Star class with a lot of the same amenities, no?

Because of my wife’s job, we can only sail during high season. We found NCL prices very close to Royal’s Star Class offerings. Star Class blows away NCL Haven anyday!

We have been loyal to royal for about 25 cruises (3 last year) but we do not have any booked for this year. We are doing a Trans Atlantic on Celebrity and have a cruise booked on NCL in the fall. Time to try something different.

Enjoy the NCL cruise! I was on the Escape 3 months or so ago (holy cow time has flown) for my first NCL cruise (also went solo). It was a great time.

If you expand my signature you can see that even being a D+ member I only took 2 RC cruises last year. I just love to sail on different lines. So far I took 2 this year one on HAL Koningsdam and Regal Princess. Next one will be on the Adventure of the Seas though.

I was never all that loyal even though 6 of last 7 and next cruise have been RCCL, really enjoyed suite perks on Celebrity also food, most likely both my 2019 cruises will be non RCCL will do Celebrity for spring and either Celebrity or MSC yacht club for November

I rotate between RCI, NCL, and Carnival. I like all of them and find the cruise that fits my needs. I do not get bored and love trying the new ships.

I agree also. I like trying different ships on any line.

I have changed my signature to list the cruises I have done. This will help some that have asked what I have been doing.

My point I was trying to make on the first post, that obviously didn't come across to everyone, is even though I have the most loyalty points with Royal, I won't be looking at them as my first choice for future cruises anymore.

Having done 5 cruises with RCI we have booked with Marella on Discovery this summer. Many reasons why - leaving from a U.K. Port, all inclusive, it's a former RCI ship. RCI did the same cruise but we had to fly to Europe and it was a 11 day cruise, where as this is from Newcastle 14 nights same prices.