Musings on Mariner - A slow boat from China

Gift from DaGunny

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nice

I also noticed when Mariner comes out of the Gulf of Aqaba to turn right to the canal. You pass Sharm El-Sheikh, which is a big tourist resort.

Lots of Brits go on package deals there. I've never been and didn't realise it was so close to the shipping line taken be cruise ships

Nice

I also noticed when Mariner comes out of the Gulf of Aqaba to turn right to the canal. You pass Sharm El-Sheikh, which is a big tourist resort.

Lots of Brits go on package deals there. I've never been and didn't realise it was so close to the shipping line taken be cruise ships

We're on the port side. Haven't seen a lot.

BTW, I believe the captain said we would arrive Suez around 4pm, but have to wait until 9pm to begin the journey.

No need for Visa. The day was spectacular

9198b7bcb9c34e791eceecfefb3dec23.jpg

Saw a fascinating documentary on Petra including how the Treasury was carved (they think), given that it's so tall. They carved shelves into the rock and worked from the top down. As they carved their way down, they carved away the shelves that were used for the section above them. The only clues left are the square shaped holes running up the left and right sides of John's picture that they think were used for some sort of scaffolding, if I remember correctly. Definitely on my bucket list.

The documentary is on YouTube:

We're on the port side. Haven't seen a lot.

BTW, I believe the captain said we would arrive Suez around 4pm, but have to wait until 9pm to begin the journey.

It does look like it is one way in many parts. That must be how it takes that long to transit it.

Just entered the Gulf of Suez. 1pm our time. We are supposed to begin passage at 9pm. The Captain said we'd be as the entrance of canal around 4pm. We have to join more ships and wait our turn. I think were a little behind schedule, or my map is incorrect

Nice

Not Brit but I've been and it's dirt cheap, but prefer Makadi Bay at Hurghada for nicer hotels and bluest water.

A family of 4 can find an all inclusive resort for just about under 5 bills for a week.

Hope that Royal could find a way to re engage Egypt on their cruises in the future.

(Imagine Petra and Luxor on the same itinerary...,)

I can see a black dot in the picture. Is that one of the floats? Waiting for any updates.:(

Oops, sorry, the dot was on my screen!

Well, it looks like dizzledj just posted that no one went overboard and all is okay! Hope that's correct!!

Edited by SilkySal
add

Do you think it was a drill or a false alarm? I have seen the drills in port but I was always curious if they do drills in the open sea where conditions would be more like a real S&R scenario.

Thanks for all the pictures of Petra. I am now going to have to work and extra 5 years to save enough for a trip that somehow includes Aqaba.