Opinion: Free UNLIMITED DRINKS! not really “free”

The Admiral

I just book a cruise on Jewel in Australia, I could pay $2100 with 3 (or was it 5) for free, for $2100, or no “freebies” for $1700, so not real free.

That was for seven nights, so fair to say if you would normally buy the drinks package worth it, if you wouldn’t, well bet off with the lower price, well that was my opinion anyway.

Actually Mugtech is an imaginary institution of lower learning famous for its undefeated sports teams. You would be surprised at the amazing amount of uses for a mug.

Love it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah but how do they know I’m having so many drinks that my tip needs to be $249, for example if My wife and I have 3 drinks a day each at $14 a drink I should tip 18% or 20% which is $2.80 approx. per drink per person per day that’s $117.60 in tips for the both of us for the 7 day cruise not $249.

Where I get aggravated is that they are basing the amount of tips to be charged based on how much they think I may spend in drinks not actual cost.

What if a restaurant charged you a $25 tip for your waiter the moment you walk in the door regardless of how much your actual meal was? Then if you have a $1,000 meal you really stuck it to your waiter and short changed them but If all you had was a sandwich you way over tipped them...just saying

No, they’re basing it on $89/day times 20% gratuity. It works out to $17.80/day. So as long as you drink at least $18 with of alcoholic drinks, sodas, juices, etc. each day, then you got your monies worth.

Or just don’t get the damn package and quit whining. Either or.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What about us folks who only drink water, milk and fruit juice? Why are we discriminated against? Why is NCL encouraging people to drink as much alcohol as they like for no increase in price?

Then don’t choose the drink package. Problem solved.

Just for my own peace of mind and basic curiosity… I did a mock booking for our up-coming cruise in November 2018 on the 11 night NCL Gem out of NY. My findings are the following:

Booking a Balcony Cabin using the BX category (Sail-Away that includes: No free at sea, No free taxes and No OBC): The total for 2 guests today is: $2770.32

And

Booking a Balcony Cabin using the category BD/BC (both are listed at $1479.00 and include: 2 choices of the 5 Free at Sea (I selected the Specialty Dining and Unlimited Beverage), Free taxes and $100.00 OBC): The total for 2 guests today is: $3383.20.

Taking the total from each, I am left with a difference of $612.88. I would deduct the OBC of $100.00 giving a total of $512.88. Dividing this total by 11 (# of nights) would give me a total of $46.63 per night. I would then divide this total by 2 (# of people) leaving me with a total of: $23.31.

I’m positive we made the right decision for us by choosing the SDP and the UBP; we are gaining 4 specialty restaurants and unlimited beverages (soda and alcohol) for 11 nights. I don’t feel that is a bad deal!

I do however feel that the UBP should include bottled water and specialty coffees.

Sorry if my math bored anyone… I just felt the need to add my 2cents!

Just for my own peace of mind and basic curiosity… I did a mock booking for our up-coming cruise in November 2018 on the 11 night NCL Gem out of NY. My findings are the following:

Booking a Balcony Cabin using the BX category (Sail-Away that includes: No free at sea, No free taxes and No OBC): The total for 2 guests today is: $2770.32

And

Booking a Balcony Cabin using the category BD/BC (both are listed at $1479.00 and include: 2 choices of the 5 Free at Sea (I selected the Specialty Dining and Unlimited Beverage), Free taxes and $100.00 OBC): The total for 2 guests today is: $3383.20.

Taking the total from each, I am left with a difference of $612.88. I would deduct the OBC of $100.00 giving a total of $512.88. Dividing this total by 11 (# of nights) would give me a total of $46.63 per night. I would then divide this total by 2 (# of people) leaving me with a total of: $23.31.

I’m positive we made the right decision for us by choosing the SDP and the UBP; we are gaining 4 specialty restaurants and unlimited beverages (soda and alcohol) for 11 nights. I don’t feel that is a bad deal!

I do however feel that the UBP should include bottled water and specialty coffees.

And well thought out reasoning like this is exactly why we feel like the UBP and SDP are good deals. For an additional $23/day, you are getting unlimited alcoholic drinks, sodas, juices, etc. as well as 4 meals at specialty restaurants. If you only averaged two alcoholic drinks and two sodas a day, you're coming out ahead... And gosh knows, on our last cruise we averaged well more than 2 alcoholic drinks a day.

And

You have to also realize that the BX is a GTY. That’s the main reason it is cheaper. Not because it doesn’t come with any promos. I would never book at GTY because I want to be able to choose my cabin location. So no need for me to even compare the prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to also realize that the BX is a GTY. That’s the main reason it is cheaper. Not because it doesn’t come with any promos. I would never book at GTY because I want to be able to choose my cabin location. So no need for me to even compare the prices.

True words!!! I’m too much of a control freak and I need to pick my own room and do tons of research on it before making a selection!!! Therefore, personally could never leave something like that up to the cruise line!

And

Maybe on that one cruise but I have done it on several cruises and it is no where close to that. Maybe now with the tax free, port free promo it is close, but it has been a much bigger difference for me when I look at the two and compare.

But, I love that you did that! Good to know there are others who do things like that. I agree that it probably is a good deal for people who drink more than 3-4 drinks a day. I don't. I would spend the whole cruise in my cabin sleeping!

Maybe on that one cruise but I have done it on several cruises and it is no where close to that. Maybe now with the tax free, port free promo it is close, but it has been a much bigger difference for me when I look at the two and compare.

But, I love that you did that! Good to know there are others who do things like that. I agree that it probably is a good deal for people who drink more than 3-4 drinks a day. I don't. I would spend the whole cruise in my cabin sleeping!

I feel it is a very personal decision. For my situation, I know that when my DH and I vacation, we enjoy a mimosa or Bloody Mary at breakfast and a few frozen concoctions by the pool or during daily activities, as well as a glass of wine or two with dinner and a few more for the evening show/dancing. They add up pretty quickly for us. That’s not even counting the 4 nice dinners at the Speciality Restaurants.

I personally am thrilled that NCL offers such an awesome perk! We have cruised other lines and purchased their packages and found for us it is a savings and we will gladly pay the gratuities on the drink package. I understand that this is not the case for everyone. However, I don’t believe they are discriminating against anyone who doesn’t drink, as they are giving everyone the option to chose the perk that each guest feels they will benefit from the most. Happy Cruising!!!

It clearly states on the website that gratuities are not cover on the Free at Sea promotions, no deception here. As for your request that NCL should stop offering this promotion because YOU don't like the terms, perhaps if you buy enough NCL stock, you will be able to make that decision. otherwise just choose something else and move on. First world problem. Plenty of people enjoy the promo and want to see it continued.

Yeah but how do they know I’m having so many drinks that my tip needs to be $249, for example if My wife and I have 3 drinks a day each at $14 a drink I should tip 18% or 20% which is $2.80 approx. per drink per person per day that’s $117.60 in tips for the both of us for the 7 day cruise not $249.

Where I get aggravated is that they are basing the amount of tips to be charged based on how much they think I may spend in drinks not actual cost.

What if a restaurant charged you a $25 tip for your waiter the moment you walk in the door regardless of how much your actual meal was? Then if you have a $1,000 meal you really stuck it to your waiter and short changed them but If all you had was a sandwich you way over tipped them...just saying

If you and your wife both have 3 drinks a day each at $14 a drink then you are 100% crazy if you don't take this offer and pay the $249 fee to cover you both. 3 drinks per day at $14 each plus 18% tip is $346.92 PER PERSON, if my math is correct.

On the other hand, $249 for 2 people for a 7 day cruise is $17.80 per person per day. That is basically 2 1/2 $6 drinks per person per day, including 18% tip, to breakeven. If you will drink less than that then don't take the package.....real simple math.

I just took my first cruise this past February. My SO and I were traveling with a couple of his good friends, one of whom takes a cruise every year or two around his birthday. The entire reason he chose NCL for this year's cruise was the UBP. It is definitely the best deal in cruising if you are a drinker (he is and we are as well!). He did a lot of research because he had done cruises on a few other cruise lines in the past and had always paid for their beverage packages or paid per drink. While you do have to pay gratuities, it is still MUCH cheaper than the beverage packages on other lines. The real question is, do you drink enough to justify the cost of the gratuities. If you drink fewer than two drinks a day, it's probably not worth it. If you are like us and drink in the range of 7-10 drinks a day while relaxing on vacation with access to unlimited alcohol, then it is well worth it! The nice thing is, it's entirely YOUR choice! If you won't get value out of the package, then choose one of the other options. You don't see me complaining about the wifi options when I genuinely have zero need for them. I just don't choose them!

Or..... you book through a TA when they're running the special that pays the gratuities on the drink package as one of the perks. Tada - problem solved!

I booked my cruise months ago with a free UBP, gratuities on UBP paid, and ship gratuities paid as my perks. The same booking today would cost me almost $1000 more. Sometimes you come out ahead, sometimes you don't!

If you and your wife both have 3 drinks a day each at $14 a drink then you are 100% crazy if you don't take this offer and pay the $249 fee to cover you both. 3 drinks per day at $14 each plus 18% tip is $346.92 PER PERSON, if my math is correct.

On the other hand, $249 for 2 people for a 7 day cruise is $17.80 per person per day. That is basically 2 1/2 $6 drinks per person per day, including 18% tip, to breakeven. If you will drink less than that then don't take the package.....real simple math.

For the record, gratuity is now 20%.

There have been some interesting points mentioned here in what could have been a terrible gratuity thread. Unfortunately I think the real problem has remained just out of sight. I may be reading too much into the OP’s second post, but then Level six and others touched on it. What I think is driving so many people astray is that they really don’t recognize that when you choose the UBP as a promo you are actually paying much more than the 20% gratuities.

First consider why many non-drinkers feel the UBP promo is a bad deal for them. Please understand that anyone who is unwilling or decides not to take a guarantee cabin is paying a premium, well above the value of being able to choose their cabin. Everybody who chooses their cabin pays this same amount. One way to see this somewhat vague amount is to look back before all this promo stuff was going on. The average price difference between a guarantee cabin and picking your cabin from the same type's lowest category was usually from a low of $50pp to a high of $150pp for common cabin types. Now, with promos, the price difference between a "Sail Away" guarantee and picking a specific one from the lowest category is typically $300pp, and very often stunningly higher. Why has this gone up so much? Because you are paying an amount to cover the cost of the promos, well above the old amount NCL had previously used for choosing your cabin. Fine, most people know that nothing with cruise lines is really free and NCL is not going to lose money on this. They’ve been “giving away” the UBP for years now, they wouldn’t still be in business if that were true.

NCL had to come up with this extra “promo premium” amount to ensure they will not lose money, but they didn’t want it to vary based on which promo you picked – that would instantly let you know they really weren’t free. It had to be included in the base price of the cabin. Also consider that of all the common promos people can pick the only one that has the potential to change costs is the UBP. NCL has been fine tuning this one for years by increasing the per day UBP, gratuity percent, excluding certain expensive drinks, changing drink prices so some aren't covered, adding suites to the gratuity pool, etc.... The other promos have a fairly set cost to NCL, but they still have to be sure that if you, or everyone, chose the UBP promo that they will not lose money. Fair enough?

I think everyone will agree that the other common promos have a much lower value than the UBP. I'm talking monetary value - and will agree that the less common KSF, pre-paid gratuities and tax free spree are a better value than the other three (wi-fi, shore ex, SDP). The UBP is the Undisputed Best Promo regarding monetary value, individual drink prices on board re-enforce that. It's also the one that can cost NCL the most money and I bet they take that into consideration when they come up with the hidden promo premium charge. What I’ve been driving at here is that the UBP is most likely going to be the basis for how NCL is setting the “promo premium” dollar amount per cabin. But there is only one set amount that everyone pays to pick their promos regardless of what that promo costs NCL. So, we are left with two possibilities about anyone who doesn't choose the UBP as they won't possibly cost NCL near as much. Either NCL is making a huge profit on those people or NCL could be taking a riskier approach and having those who don't choose UBP subsidize those who do by attempting to average it out. I don't like either of those possibilities so I, like most others who just find it a good deal, chose the UBP.

The second way I saw this charge was a while back, about the time when NCL was changing the name from "Norwegian Rate" to "Sail Away Rate”, in a few cases you could actually choose your cabin without the promos for a lower price. Some here may have also seen that. It was very quickly changed because it blatantly showed that you were paying a higher amount to get the promos. Currently in order to avoid the promos you have to take a guarantee. That’s nice and ambiguous as who knows how much of the price difference is for what. Tough luck to non-drinkers who aren't willing to take chances with a guaranty, "Pick another promo" they are told. They might as well be saying "Subsidize my UBP". Complainers are chastised that they can choose free internet, shore excursions, or specialty dining. Remember, it's not free. To choose their cabin everyone paid one set premium, most likely based on the UBP costs.

I drink and have obviously picked the UBP promo. I still don't think it’s fair or a good idea. One because some have to pick another lesser value promo for the same "price"; and two because I feel I have to get my money's worth - and to me that's more than the gratuities cost. I figure NCL has tweaked cabin pricing to the point I'm paying relatively close to what it used to cost for the UBP if you paid for it. As far as I’m concerned I’ve been forced to buy the UBP and now I better use it. I know, buying the beverage plan cost relatively more back before the promos than the estimated/probable UBP total cost is now. But you also got a lot more back then. I’ll agree it’s a tough one to quantify, so it’s just my feeling. Regardless, even if you dispute this and claim saying “The promo UBP is still a better deal than it was when I had to buy it” then you are effectively saying that non-drinkers are subsidizing drinkers, because NCL is not really giving these UBP's away for free. Someone is paying for them.

Maybe I'll post this in the “Things I’d like NCL to offer” thread: Get rid of Free at Sea, or at least the UBP promo. That would of course have to be accompanied by a reasonable promo-less choice of cabin price drop and realistic UBP purchase price and associated alcohol on board pricing. I would happily go back to a bar setup of nice liquor in my suite and a few reasonably priced beers and wines when needed. I think NCL could even spin that as a price drop, but most will probably feel it's a takeaway. I’m not expecting this to actually happen.

Regarding those who will inevitably question any data/amounts I used and have an example to counter something I said: Please take a thorough look at the Cruise Fishy site's historical data from 2013-2014 and compare the cost difference between GTY and lowest chosen cabin then compare that to the 2015-current differences under the promos. Of course there are, and have been, and I have already seen cases where the current price difference between GTY and promos is $50pp, but that is obviously not the norm. I will gladly point out cases where it is $800pp. Now if someone wants to start a thread as to why NCL seems to be discouraging GTY bookings with these promos, as they are always GTY exclusive and therefore tend to push people away from them, I’d love to follow along. A big part of why I even bothered posting this was due to Travelenfool’s cost comparison where you can see that the tax free spree negated much of the effect of the “promo premium”. It struck me that any of these NCL sales gimmicks seem to enforce not booking a GTY. I remembered some quote about the budget cruiser….

There have been some interesting points mentioned here in what could have been a terrible gratuity thread. Unfortunately I think the real problem has remained just out of sight. I may be reading too much into the OP’s second post, but then Level six and others touched on it. What I think is driving so many people astray is that they really don’t recognize that when you choose the UBP as a promo you are actually paying much more than the 20% gratuities.

First consider why many non-drinkers feel the UBP promo is a bad deal for them. Please understand that anyone who is unwilling or decides not to take a guarantee cabin is paying a premium, well above the value of being able to choose their cabin. Everybody who chooses their cabin pays this same amount. One way to see this somewhat vague amount is to look back before all this promo stuff was going on. The average price difference between a guarantee cabin and picking your cabin from the same type's lowest category was usually from a low of $50pp to a high of $150pp for common cabin types. Now, with promos, the price difference between a "Sail Away" guarantee and picking a specific one from the lowest category is typically $300pp, and very often stunningly higher. Why has this gone up so much? Because you are paying an amount to cover the cost of the promos, well above the old amount NCL had previously used for choosing your cabin. Fine, most people know that nothing with cruise lines is really free and NCL is not going to lose money on this. They’ve been “giving away” the UBP for years now, they wouldn’t still be in business if that were true.

NCL had to come up with this extra “promo premium” amount to ensure they will not lose money, but they didn’t want it to vary based on which promo you picked – that would instantly let you know they really weren’t free. It had to be included in the base price of the cabin. Also consider that of all the common promos people can pick the only one that has the potential to change costs is the UBP. NCL has been fine tuning this one for years by increasing the per day UBP, gratuity percent, excluding certain expensive drinks, changing drink prices so some aren't covered, adding suites to the gratuity pool, etc.... The other promos have a fairly set cost to NCL, but they still have to be sure that if you, or everyone, chose the UBP promo that they will not lose money. Fair enough?

I think everyone will agree that the other common promos have a much lower value than the UBP. I'm talking monetary value - and will agree that the less common KSF, pre-paid gratuities and tax free spree are a better value than the other three (wi-fi, shore ex, SDP). The UBP is the Undisputed Best Promo regarding monetary value, individual drink prices on board re-enforce that. It's also the one that can cost NCL the most money and I bet they take that into consideration when they come up with the hidden promo premium charge. What I’ve been driving at here is that the UBP is most likely going to be the basis for how NCL is setting the “promo premium” dollar amount per cabin. But there is only one set amount that everyone pays to pick their promos regardless of what that promo costs NCL. So, we are left with two possibilities about anyone who doesn't choose the UBP as they won't possibly cost NCL near as much. Either NCL is making a huge profit on those people or NCL could be taking a riskier approach and having those who don't choose UBP subsidize those who do by attempting to average it out. I don't like either of those possibilities so I, like most others who just find it a good deal, chose the UBP.

The second way I saw this charge was a while back, about the time when NCL was changing the name from "Norwegian Rate" to "Sail Away Rate”, in a few cases you could actually choose your cabin without the promos for a lower price. Some here may have also seen that. It was very quickly changed because it blatantly showed that you were paying a higher amount to get the promos. Currently in order to avoid the promos you have to take a guarantee. That’s nice and ambiguous as who knows how much of the price difference is for what. Tough luck to non-drinkers who aren't willing to take chances with a guaranty, "Pick another promo" they are told. They might as well be saying "Subsidize my UBP". Complainers are chastised that they can choose free internet, shore excursions, or specialty dining. Remember, it's not free. To choose their cabin everyone paid one set premium, most likely based on the UBP costs.

I drink and have obviously picked the UBP promo. I still don't think it’s fair or a good idea. One because some have to pick another lesser value promo for the same "price"; and two because I feel I have to get my money's worth - and to me that's more than the gratuities cost. I figure NCL has tweaked cabin pricing to the point I'm paying relatively close to what it used to cost for the UBP if you paid for it. As far as I’m concerned I’ve been forced to buy the UBP and now I better use it. I know, buying the beverage plan cost relatively more back before the promos than the estimated/probable UBP total cost is now. But you also got a lot more back then. I’ll agree it’s a tough one to quantify, so it’s just my feeling. Regardless, even if you dispute this and claim saying “The promo UBP is still a better deal than it was when I had to buy it” then you are effectively saying that non-drinkers are subsidizing drinkers, because NCL is not really giving these UBP's away for free. Someone is paying for them.

Maybe I'll post this in the “Things I’d like NCL to offer” thread: Get rid of Free at Sea, or at least the UBP promo. That would of course have to be accompanied by a reasonable promo-less choice of cabin price drop and realistic UBP purchase price and associated alcohol on board pricing. I would happily go back to a bar setup of nice liquor in my suite and a few reasonably priced beers and wines when needed. I think NCL could even spin that as a price drop, but most will probably feel it's a takeaway. I’m not expecting this to actually happen.

Regarding those who will inevitably question any data/amounts I used and have an example to counter something I said: Please take a thorough look at the Cruise Fishy site's historical data from 2013-2014 and compare the cost difference between GTY and lowest chosen cabin then compare that to the 2015-current differences under the promos. Of course there are, and have been, and I have already seen cases where the current price difference between GTY and promos is $50pp, but that is obviously not the norm. I will gladly point out cases where it is $800pp. Now if someone wants to start a thread as to why NCL seems to be discouraging GTY bookings with these promos, as they are always GTY exclusive and therefore tend to push people away from them, I’d love to follow along. A big part of why I even bothered posting this was due to Travelenfool’s cost comparison where you can see that the tax free spree negated much of the effect of the “promo premium”. It struck me that any of these NCL sales gimmicks seem to enforce not booking a GTY. I remembered some quote about the budget cruiser….

I honestly understand where you are coming from on this post... and agree they need to reform the pricing structure to allow guests the opportunity to chose their room without paying so much more then the GTY rate. It's sorta like grocery shopping when you automatically buy the store brand when the "Name Brand" is on sale for cheaper... Keep shopping and comparing your prices! I consider myself a thrifty shopper when booking a vacation and if I can save $2.00, I will make every attempt at doing so. I am not a a loyal shopper that feels the need to buy my products from a certain store, website, travel agent. I go with the most bang for "my buck" and at this time in my life, it happens to be NCL and the perks they offer. Who knows next week it could be another cruise line's promotion to prompts me to reconsider. I know a lot of travelers who book and never look back... I'm not one of those, I check the prices everyday and am proud to say I have scored some awesomely great deals over the last 30 plus years.

Edited by Travelenfool

To me, the Free At Sea promos and Freestyle cruising are what define and distinguish NCL from other cruise lines. If you believe they should get rid of these promos because you are paying a hidden premium for them, maybe another cruise line would be a better fit for you?

NCL should probably administer a Wonderlic test before you are allowed to book a cruise with them, and require at least a double-digit score.

Based on the critical thinking skills displayed here, most would fail.

So does NCL. Say I book a sailaway at say $999, if I were to book the least expensive cabin, in the same category(interior, etc) that included the "free" things, that price is $1899.

Exactly. The price is built into the cruise. Sometimes you are better off just going sailaway and buying drinks you want, sometimes it is better to get perks. Each situation is different. Do what is right for you!

Very true! People tend to overlook this fact when they say "I can book GTY for cheaper". I would never book GTY, you could get the worst cabin/location on the ship! So for me, these perks are free, as I would never book GTY.

Carnival's GTY category is cheaper than if you choose your cabin and they offer no promos for choosing your cabin.

There have been some interesting points mentioned here in what could have been a terrible gratuity thread. Unfortunately I think the real problem has remained just out of sight. I may be reading too much into the OP’s second post, but then Level six and others touched on it. What I think is driving so many people astray is that they really don’t recognize that when you choose the UBP as a promo you are actually paying much more than the 20% gratuities.….etc

The only issue I have with your post is that it really shouldn't need such a long post to point out what is surely just logic. However, I think it does need it.

I remember a few years ago, when Free at Sea was fairly new, there was much discussion on these boards about how NCL's prices had gone up significantly. Some of us were making the point that they wasn't much difference in the final price, when you take into account your onboard account, as long as you drink a reasonable amount.

Basically, the introduction of the promo UBP and price rises went together. That did cause some people who don't drink to go elsewhere as they are effectively subsidising the bar bills of the drinkers.

As for what happens now, I personally think that Free at Sea with the UBP is here to stay. In the UK, we don't just not pay the gratuity, but our fares are "all inclusive" so you get the UBP without even selecting it (unless you book sail away). However, this change was accompanied by a further price increase. There are again winners and losers. I know no drinkers who stayed a few years ago who can now no longer justify cruising NCL at the current prices. I will probably never do another solo transatlantic, as the price now effectively includes two UBPs (due to single supplements). Meanwhile, if there are three or four sharing a cabin, they all get the UBP even though the 3rd and 4th passengers are paying a reduced fare that often isn't much more expensive than the UBP would cost.

Certainly, NCL is becoming a lot less attractive for non drinkers. That's financially OK for me, as I do drink, but even given that I am now paying about 25% more than I was a few years ago. It's very much top end of what I think the cruise is worth.

Your math is completely wrong. Yes, they will charge you a service charge of $249.20. If you divide that by 2 people and 7 days, it equates to $17.80 a day. If you drink 2 alcoholic drinks a day, you come out ahead versus paying for drinks individually. Throw in a few sodas and you really start to make this a good deal. If you don't want to pay this, chose a different perk and stop whining!

I was going to say the exact same thing...we're taking the Dawn in November for 11 days and chose the beverage and dining packages. The gratuities came out to $19.32/day for both packages combined. I know that we'll have at least two drinks each per day and go to the specialty restaurants so the packages, even with the added gratuities, were a no-brainer for us! It's all in how you look at it, I guess...