First RCI cruise....No burgers, no hots, no fries, & pizza is worse than Tombstone

Dear all,

First RCI cruise......so from my understanding....there is no fresh grilled burgers and fries (like Guy's joint).....cafeteria style burgers and hots probably in some big metal container of "juice" on the buffet and soggy fries......No Blue Iguana or anything comparable to that on RCI.....

What great "FREE" food items does RCI have?!?! What is there to eat for lunch?!?!!? What am I missing here?!?!

What ship? Who were you listening to? Thank God no Guy's

Although stated a bit on the hostile side, I understand the OP's concerns. After seven Carnival cruises and Carnival being my only cruise line experience, I am excited to try RC for the first time in January. Frankly, I did not book this cruise because of the line, I booked it because it was the same price as my seven day Carnival cruise with two more days at sea and vastly superior ports. I have learned that I prefer smaller ships to reduce crowding and will be on Serenade of the seas.

I have noticed some red flags in my research though. I do not care for fast food such as burgers when cruising, I am looking for a more elegant meal which Carnival is certainly no longer delivering, but I have tried Guy's and it is one darn good burger and my wife loves the Blue Iguana. Everything on RC appears to be a little more expensive, gratuities, drink plan, burgers. Free food choices appear to be hard to get later in the evening. Several people have commented that they thought food was better on Carnival which is disheartening, because food has gotten bad on Carnival. I am amazed at how Carnival is able to make a beautiful chocolate dessert on the buffet taste so completely like nothing. Now I do love Warm Chocolate Melting Cake, so they know how to make a good dessert.

Here is what I am hoping to see on RC. A little more dignified crowd. Sorry Carnival loyalists, we are not the most sophisticated bunch on the sea and although I can cruise just fine with those people, a little nicer crowd would be welcome. Just a little less hairy chest and a little more string quartet. I am hoping the food is a little more upscale. Everything is so bland on Carnival lately. I am also looking for a better loyalty program. Carnival has watered platinum down to the point of me really not caring if I get there. Lastly, I am hoping the shows are better. At least they should be different. You know what I saw in March on the Elation? The same stage shows I saw in 2013 on the Pride. The same show!

In actuality though, RC will have to be pretty special to keep me from booking my next cruise primarily based on the price per day at sea. When it comes down to brass tacks, me on the sea at the best price is the winner.

The largest ships - Oasis class, have the least crowding of probably any mass market cruise ship in the world, just so you know for future consideration. Also the most complimentary venues for Royal.

For the drink plan, I got mine cheaper on my upcoming Royal sailing than I can get on my upcoming Carnival sailing. Royal just does sales all the time, which can be annoying, but deals can also be found with substantially lower pricing. I think we are at $43/day for the drink plan vs Carnival which is $50+.

Just have realistic expectations. I don't think you'll find all that much different on the smaller ships. And to be honest, I think I would prefer Carnival for the smaller ships. But you'll get to try it out and make that decision for yourself.

I doubt the OP has ever been or is booking a Royal cruise. Just trying to build up Carnival with all his misinformation. I've been on Carnival, as well as other lines, and Carnival would be a last resort.

My last resort would be NCL but Carnival:D is a close second, but agree on the pizza

My last resort would be NCL but Carnival:D is a close second, but agree on the pizza

I would third this one. Did NCL once, probably never again. It wouldn't even be a last resort. I'd prefer sleeping in a tent than an NCL cruise. I do enjoy Carnival, though :)

I'm about to embark on my 6th cruise, but first on RCCI. I'm by no means married to Carnival, its been all about price for my previous 5 cruises...and Carnival usually wins that battle.

This time...I have a little extra money and wanted to give RCCI a try...thus we are scheduled for Oasis of the Seas in November.

I realize the OP came off as Hostile and he truly could just be a troll...with that being said, I hope the people replying in this thread are not typical of the normal RCCI guest. You guys would have done well just to answer the question. I can't find any answers at least.

Can I get a Burger or Hot Dog or Pizza for no extra charge? I for one like a good burger and look forward to my burger lunches on my cruises. Those of you who are critical of people who like to eat the more casual food when they cruise are giving the rest of cruisers a bad name.

Why not just answer the question instead of feeding the troll?

I'm about to embark on my 6th cruise, but first on RCCI. I'm by no means married to Carnival, its been all about price for my previous 5 cruises...and Carnival usually wins that battle.

This time...I have a little extra money and wanted to give RCCI a try...thus we are scheduled for Oasis of the Seas in November.

I realize the OP came off as Hostile and he truly could just be a troll...with that being said, I hope the people replying in this thread are not typical of the normal RCCI guest. You guys would have done well just to answer the question. I can't find any answers at least.

Can I get a Burger or Hot Dog or Pizza for no extra charge? I for one like a good burger and look forward to my burger lunches on my cruises. Those of you who are critical of people who like to eat the more casual food when they cruise are giving the rest of cruisers a bad name.

You are not going to get a great burger on Oasis from the buffet or Wipeout. It's not comparable to Guys. You can get a good burger at Johnny Rockets if you are willing to pay for it and I believe the dining room serves made to order burgers for lunch.

Oasis does have a hot dog stand on the Boardwalk which is really good. You can also get fresh sliced roast beef sandwiches at Park Cafe which everyone swears by.

Congrats on the Oasis booking, you'll love it. Just know that Carnival is better at the quick grab and go stuff but Royal has a ton of options that are still very good. The Royal buffet is much better and you can also head to Solarium Bistro for Breakfast/Lunch buffet, too. If you didn't know, Johnny Rockets does made to order diner food for breakfast, complimentary, and is never busy.

People actually did provide an answer to the question, but I can see how in 2 pages of everyone eye rolling at each other and OP, it is easy to miss the answers, so I'll summarize:

You can get all 3 on Oasis at no extra charge. You can get Hot Dogs and other Sausages from lunch time through late-dinner time at the Boardwalk Dog House. You can get complimentary burgers from either the Windjammer or Wipeout Cafe... but they will be served buffet-style at those venues. If it is a sea day you can get a burger at lunch in the MDR. You can get pizza from 11am-3am at Sorrentos, although as others noted, while taste is subjective, it isn't exactly stellar pizza (at the level of cheaper frozen pizza usually).

Additionally if you want something other than Dogs, Pizza and Burgers, you can get made-to-order salads and sandwiches at the Park Cafe, finger sandwiches and pastries at the Promenade Cafe, a "healthier" buffet at the Solarium Bistro, and healthier finger sandwiches and pastries at the Vitality Cafe.

The Oasis class ships actually bring RCI into the big leagues with complimentary lunch options. On Voyager or older class ship, it is a bit lacking, IMO.

As a cruiser on both Carnival and RCI I do not agree 100% with your post. I think RCI has the best, crispiest fries. The pizza is about the same. I will agree that, Guy's Burgers are better though than the complimentary burgers on RCI. We love the Park Cafe on RCI. I also do think the buffet is better on RCI with a larger selection. We have not tried the Dog House yet but, DH is looking forward to it on Oasis this fall. Either way, I think you will be able to find things to eat you enjoy.

It is funny how different we all are, isn't it? I think Carnival has great pizza (just a loooong wait to get any) and RCCL has mediocre burgers unless they are the made to order in the MDR on sea days. I love the Wipeout Cafe for lunches by the pool as they have junky food (think hot wings) that go great with my afternoon beer, ha ha.

Wow ya'll can be a tough crowd. I, too, have cruised Carnival several times (including the VISTA which is not a rust bucket, by the way) and this is my first RCI cruise coming up in August. I love to follow these threads for real and honest opinions. But good grief, some of ya'll act like you work for the cruiseline. I'm going into my first RCI cruise knowing I will find some things I like better and probably some things not so much. But hey, its a vacation and I'll enjoy it no matter what. And, I don't own stock in either cruiseline, so no loyalty here. Happy cruising!

Exactly. I’ve been cruising for over 25 years on a number of lines and have never eaten a hot dog or pizza on any of them and rarely a hamburger (although DS, an adult, was quite happy with the WJ burgers). My take is that mom and dad booked this cruise and junior is having a tantrum over it.

I suspect you are correct!

Wow ya'll can be a tough crowd. I, too, have cruised Carnival several times (including the VISTA which is not a rust bucket, by the way) and this is my first RCI cruise coming up in August. I love to follow these threads for real and honest opinions. But good grief, some of ya'll act like you work for the cruiseline. I'm going into my first RCI cruise knowing I will find some things I like better and probably some things not so much. But hey, its a vacation and I'll enjoy it no matter what. And, I don't own stock in either cruiseline, so no loyalty here. Happy cruising!

If you look at the OP's threads you will see HE is the one who is not too happy about cruising on RCCL. Yes, we who are loyal to Royal will defend it, especially when someone is coming off in a negative way towards it (It is obvious the OP is loyal to Carnival). Every cruiseline is different and I agree one should go into it with an open mind.

You are going into it with the right attitude.

The OP here in this case, however, is clearly not. And THAT more than anything else is what people are reacting to.

C’mon. Clearly a “click-bait” “one and done” thread by a Carnival troll designed to stir the pot.

If not, my recommendation to the OP would be to stay away from all RCI cruises and ships because I certainly would not want that person on board to ruin my cruise.

Looking at all the thread starter's other posts, they are apparently in love with Carnival and pre-disposed to find any and all fault with RC. That's fine if you prefer Carnival, sail them. Just don't come here and seemingly try to troll the board and get people riled. Are the burgers and pizza better on Carnival? I've never sailed them so I don't know but I think they likely are. That being said, I don't choose my cruise based on burgers and pizza.

I'm thinking the original poster may have gotten down on his luck and was the person I saw on the side of the road holding a sign asking for a hamburger.

He was in front of the burger joint in Portland holding a sign. It read " I love FIVE GUYS in my mouth " I kid you not. You cant make this stuff up.

I don't get it. You seem to prefer Carnival but you've booked with RC? Do you want someone to convince you to go on a cruise that you are already convinced will disappoint you? Any cruise is what you make of it. I wouldn't book a cruise if I had doubts about it living up to my expectations or already knew I would be missing something that seems to be important to you. We've gone on different lines, although it's been years since we've been on Carnival but there are people that find a line they prefer and stick with it. Nothing wrong with that and if you prefer Carnival, feel you are going to be longing for Guy's Burgers every day, you're not going to find it on any RC ship and might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Best response ever! (y)(y)(y)

Just a little more string quartet, not full on string quartet.

I actually started this cruise search for my 25 anniversary January cruise looking at Celebrity, Holland, and Cunard but what stopped me from booking them is that in every youtube video of the two specific ships I was considering appeared to be filled with people sitting in chairs reading. I want more activity while cruising than that and when it came to price I could take two cruises for the price of one.

Now Cunard was tempting, they have a transatlantic that fits my schedule just right and for a great price, but the idea of leaving the cold to spend my cruise week in the cold north Atlantic dissuaded me. I love sitting on my balcony and doing that in a 22 degree gale just does not sound like fun.

We LOVED Cunard for everything except MDR food, which was pretty unimaginative.

We never felt bored even though we have pretty extensive experience with all lines.

Their lounge entertainment is amazing, Planetarium, just all history on the walls, uncrowdness, cozyness, ambiance, pax... Everything.

We love other premium massmarket. Celebrity, Princess and to the lesser extent Holland.

What are “hots”?

I’ve found the pizza to be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Short for Hot Dogs or Red Hots....

Not like Three Hots and a Cot or She's HOT!!

In Chicago, you tell the guy at the counter "I'll have tree hots wit fries and a Coke for my famlee."

Dear all,

First RCI cruise......so from my understanding....there is no fresh grilled burgers and fries (like Guy's joint).....cafeteria style burgers and hots probably in some big metal container of "juice" on the buffet and soggy fries......No Blue Iguana or anything comparable to that on RCI.....

What great "FREE" food items does RCI have?!?! What is there to eat for lunch?!?!!? What am I missing here?!?!

This is a fun, silly post.

Here’s my 2 cents-

If your cruise is all about pizza-try Princess

If your life centers around burgers-skip the cruise and go to Vegas-Bobby’s Burger Palace makes phenomenal burgers.

Otherwise stay home and hit up the likes of In n Out and Pieology .

:)

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear all,

Return to Carnival...see their ice show!

Sent from my SM-T337T using Forums mobile app