First RCI cruise....No burgers, no hots, no fries, & pizza is worse than Tombstone

I would say if the priority is the quality of the burgers and pizza that are included in your fare, stick with Carnival. They far outweigh Royal in those instances. There are however so many good reasons to give Royal a try. Their entertainment, beauty of the ships themselves and quality of service outshine Carnival as far as I am concerned. I am no Loyal to Royal or any line. Like 'em all!

I have never had "soggy" French fries on any RCCL cruise. A few weeks ago on the Brilliance when I enjoyed their fries at lunch they were consistently fresh, hot and very tasty. Kids loved making chili cheese fries out of them which did make them a tad wet but they were wolfed down so quickly that they must have been delicious.

Wow....you guys are RUTHLESS...I love it!!!! The fish are biting today!!!

Couldn't get through the first page.

This cruise is a family cruise put on by my father who recently lost his and our beloved wife/mother. He's taking us on the Adventure of the Seas and this was the only dates that worked for all his sons and their family.

I don't mind the banter....I've been an avid reader on here for many years so it's all good in the neighborhood....I like the guy who said I should hoard toast as the choices for lunch are minimal...I almost urinated myself......

That might explain a few things......and I've never been on a cruise that I DIDN'T love, therefore the cheaper the cruise, doesn't bother me, because the balcony cruise we had (an amazing after wraparound one) on Caribbean Princess was just as awesome as our Carnival Dream cruise....The ship, the ports, the food, it really doesn't matter to me.......

I was just curious what people look forward to for lunch (besides the paid to eat places).....people want to support RCI hardcore, I get it.....almost like a favorite MLB team I guess.....regardless of the facts, or situation, their team is the best.

keep the trolling game strong! I love it!!! :evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:

Finally made it through all the pages.......Sorry I didn't respond earlier....WoWoWoW......WoWoWoWoW....my intentions wasn't to put RCI out of business at all......Maybe i'm just used to Princess and Carnival which have the grills, sandwich shop, Indian, Mexican, or whatever poolside.....I was just curious as what they offered during lunch....I am looking forward to the SEA DAY salad bar.

For the record, I have never gained any weight on any cruise.....I'm not THAT guy chowing on the hot dog.....but, let me tell you something folks....if you never had a WHITE HOT, you may want to check one out....they are divine!

Again, through all the comments, I got what I was looking for......Trust me....Every cruise I have ever taken, it always becomes the best cruise....I'm not too concerned, and no one needs to be concerned.

Thanks again for all the responses, regardless if serious, sarcastic, pretentious, pompous, arrogant, or downright angry....it's all good in the neighborhood....I especially loved the parents booked it and I'm just a 19 year old throwing a tantrum....Good one! You can't make this #$#@ up!

So my DH swears that the best burgers at sea are from the Lawn Grill on Celebrity. Ate one every day. Me, not a one. They did smell amazing though!! And I sort of miss the smell of those burgers cooking by the pool on Carnival.

I've tried 2 Carnival. Didn't really like them. Multiple things. Passengers just downright nasty to the staff. Who puts the galley between the two dining rooms? Have to go up 2 floors to get aft then back down. And leaving after dinner? Try to smoosh all those pax into the hallway to trudge the stairs (which is probably needed to work off calories) or wait for the lift. Maddening! Then the disembarkation and embarkation. Horrible on Carnival and only one horrendous experience on RCCL (enough I am sure that Carnival passengers swore off RCCL after that cruise). The ships, much nicer on RCCL but I have seen pictures of some newer Carnival ships that seem would be more pleasant on my eyes.

That said, would I go on them again? Maybe. Never say never. But some of us just find something we like and continue to go there. Others couldn't care less. At least we all have choices!!

Finally made it through all the pages.......Sorry I didn't respond earlier....WoWoWoW......WoWoWoWoW....my intentions wasn't to put RCI out of business at all......Maybe i'm just used to Princess and Carnival which have the grills, sandwich shop, Indian, Mexican, or whatever poolside.....I was just curious as what they offered during lunch....I am looking forward to the SEA DAY salad bar.

For the record, I have never gained any weight on any cruise.....I'm not THAT guy chowing on the hot dog.....but, let me tell you something folks....if you never had a WHITE HOT, you may want to check one out....they are divine!

Again, through all the comments, I got what I was looking for......Trust me....Every cruise I have ever taken, it always becomes the best cruise....I'm not too concerned, and no one needs to be concerned.

Thanks again for all the responses, regardless if serious, sarcastic, pretentious, pompous, arrogant, or downright angry....it's all good in the neighborhood....I especially loved the parents booked it and I'm just a 19 year old throwing a tantrum....Good one! You can't make this #$#@ up!

Great response!

Dear all,

First RCI cruise......so from my understanding....there is no fresh grilled burgers and fries (like Guy's joint).....cafeteria style burgers and hots probably in some big metal container of "juice" on the buffet and soggy fries......No Blue Iguana or anything comparable to that on RCI.....

What great "FREE" food items does RCI have?!?! What is there to eat for lunch?!?!!? What am I missing here?!?!

I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this, really I'm not... but I bet they offer some of those things even in the main dining room when they're not on the menu - you'd just have to ask what they have for kids.

It's been a years since I've sailed, but I cannot imagine things changed so much that my response is no longer valid.

IMHO They have lots of decent food. I don't want burgers/hot dogs/fries. BUT... I recall them having burgers and fries in the Windjammer OFTEN if not every day and burgers at lunch in the main dining room many days. Often they have a BBQ pool side one of the at sea days too - which includes the typical fare.

Judy

Ok. I have to get in on this thread. Just got off 9 day Navigator a few weeks ago. Food and service were awful as were a serious lack of activities. I'm Diamond, so don't think this is a "trasher" comment. Pizza is the worst at sea, that's true. We always saw hamburgers and hot dogs available in the Windjammer. Fries were good in the Windjammer and while nothing was good at breakfast or lunch there, dinner is a win. The sandwiches in Promenade Cafe are pretty good, but they never change. One day at lunch in the MDR, they had a fantastic oreo cheesecake but couldn't seem to get any other cakes right. I got Indian food special every night once we realized it's the best thing on the ship and has to be special ordered. I cruise on a lot of lines. Carnival absolutely has the "traditional cruise experience" down better than anyone else. The food and entertainment are superior. BUT Royal's ships are much prettier and their pool decks beat Carnival hands down. Both are comparable on service. Just my two cents.

In Chicago, you tell the guy at the counter "I'll have tree hots wit fries and a Coke for my famlee."

I've lived in Chicago and the suburbs my entire life and have never heard hot dogs called "hots." I have, however, heard them called "dogs."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

had to google "white hot" to find out what it was as the op never really said what it was but that a hot was a white hot.

This is the result:

The white hot is a variation on the hot dog found primarily in the Rochester, New York area, as well as other parts of Western New York and Central New York. It is composed of a combination of uncured and unsmoked pork, beef and veal; the lack of smoking or curing allows the meat to retain a natural white colour. White hots usually contain mustard and other spices and often include a dairy component such as nonfat dry milk.

1200px-White_hot_dog_exterior_detail.JPG

From the look of this, I'll give it a go but never seen anything like it on a cruise.

Glad you had a sense of humour about it all.

Anywho it doesn't look like Adventure has a Sorrentos so it looks like you may miss out on mediocre pizza.

Glad you had a sense of humour about it all.

Anywho it doesn't look like Adventure has a Sorrentos so it looks like you may miss out on mediocre pizza.

Voyager class ships don't have a separate Sorrentos. There is pizza in the Cafe Promenade.

You are awesome. Great attitude! I have to tell you, avid NCL cruiser who cruised both RCI and Carnival for the first time since the 80s in March. The RCI cruise was a quite expensive 7-day HOtS cruise planned for our senior’s spring break. The other was an opportunist 4 day last minute for the college kid’s spring break on what we lovingly called “the rust bucket cruise!” It was a cheaper cruise on a small, older ship.

We had a blast on both, but actually thought the food provided was much better on carnival! We are not big MDR people. Have never eaten in the NCL MDR - only speciality venues. We also did 5 nights of speciality dining in HOTS. There were NO speciality up-charge restaurants on the fantasy- so MDR it was. The food was outstanding. And don’t get me started on pizza difference. Sorrento’s is truly as terrible as others have stated (I didn’t think that possible-how do you ruin pizza??). But the pizza on the fantasy was crazy good. Quality ingredients, fresh baked. Wow.

I don’t eat burgers but Guys was a huge family hit. The deli was good as was Blue Iguana. All free. And hands down in our opinion better than the RCI free offerings.

But the lines on The Fantasy!! Oh my. Terrible. Killed the experience. Clearly a trade off.

We had a wonderful time on both and would sail either again in a heartbeat. But I understand your concern... have a wonderful cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

had to google "white hot" to find out what it was as the op never really said what it was but that a hot was a white hot.

This is the result:

The white hot is a variation on the hot dog found primarily in the Rochester, New York area, as well as other parts of Western New York and Central New York. It is composed of a combination of uncured and unsmoked pork, beef and veal; the lack of smoking or curing allows the meat to retain a natural white colour. White hots usually contain mustard and other spices and often include a dairy component such as nonfat dry milk.

From the look of this, I'll give it a go but never seen anything like it on a cruise.

If I remember right they have a veal hotdog on the boardwalk on Oasis, it was white and very tasty. Like me.

You are awesome. Great attitude! I have to tell you, avid NCL cruiser who cruised both RCI and Carnival for the first time since the 80s in March. The RCI cruise was a quite expensive 7-day HOtS cruise planned for our senior’s spring break. The other was an opportunist 4 day last minute for the college kid’s spring break on what we lovingly called “the rust bucket cruise!” It was a cheaper cruise on a small, older ship.

We had a blast on both, but actually thought the food provided was much better on carnival! We are not big MDR people. Have never eaten in the NCL MDR - only speciality venues. We also did 5 nights of speciality dining in HOTS. There were NO speciality up-charge restaurants on the fantasy- so MDR it was. The food was outstanding. And don’t get me started on pizza difference. Sorrento’s is truly as terrible as others have stated (I didn’t think that possible-how do you ruin pizza??). But the pizza on the fantasy was crazy good. Quality ingredients, fresh baked. Wow.

I don’t eat burgers but Guys was a huge family hit. The deli was good as was Blue Iguana. All free. And hands down in our opinion better than the RCI free offerings.

But the lines on The Fantasy!! Oh my. Terrible. Killed the experience. Clearly a trade off.

We had a wonderful time on both and would sail either again in a heartbeat. But I understand your concern... have a wonderful cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carnival certainly does the counter serve stuff VERY well. But they trade that off with less venues and only 1 or 2 specialty dining locations. I think the Carnival buffet is terrible, personally, and much prefer the options on Harmony. I'm waiting for the cruise line that does ALL of the above outstanding... a cross between Royal and Carnival I think :)

Carnival's pizza is really outstanding. But honestly, the lines and waiting can be too much which is frustrating. I don't want to stand around waiting 1/2 hour for pizza. Being able to walk into Sorrento's anytime and grab a slice is preferable to me since it's just pizza and a quick bite afterall. If they could give you Carnival quality pizza as fast as Sorrento's... now that would be the sweet.

Also, another favorite, they have escargot EVERY NIGHT.

On our February Oasis cruise (with the new menus) escargots were only available for dinner for 3 nights. And God forbid you asked for them o a night they were not on the menu.

On our February Oasis cruise (with the new menus) escargots were only available for dinner for 3 nights. And God forbid you asked for them o a night they were not on the menu.

That's too bad. I love my escargot! But 3 nights out of 7 is still good enough for me.