First RCI cruise....No burgers, no hots, no fries, & pizza is worse than Tombstone

I love my Oasis class ships on RC, but regarding the pizza, my opinion is that it's pretty darn bad. I honestly do think that Tombstone is better. Not that that stops me from getting it every night as an after dinner snack, but I do wish they would improve it to some degree.

I am not that experienced of a cruiser. ... The only real turn off for me when it comes to Carnival is the 15 adult beverage limit. I hit that the very first day. The rest of the cruise I would get my wife and a friend of ours to get a few beers throughout the day and I would take them back to the room and put in the fridge. Helped me stay under my daily limit the rest of the cruise.;)

Wholly crap! You sir are going to need a liver before too long. We once had a neighbor who would drink a six-pack each night when he got home from work. Needless to say, their recycle container was fuller than their regular trash can. I can't possibly imagine REGULARLY drinking more than 15 adult beverages in a day and still being able to function normally even while on vacation.

Wholly crap! You sir are going to need a liver before too long. We once had a neighbor who literally drank a six-pack each night when he got home from work. Needless to say, their recycle container was fuller than their regular trash can. I can't possibly imagine REGULARLY drinking more than 15 adult beverages in a day and still being able to function.:o

I do not drink like that everyday. But when I am on vacation, it is not unheard of. Don't be so judgmental.

Such a subjective subject in discussion is absurd. No 2 peeps will agree on any food item.

That being said we couldn't find anything to recommend eating on Carnival. I thought the much appreciated pizza on our one and only Carnival cruise absolutely unpalatable! Cardboard! Nothing much else appealed to us either. Definitely didn't like the waiters commotion in the MDR, really don't like the one on RCCL either much. My melting cake was positively raw...isch, nor the dirty nasty string mop in a tin mop bucket that was left in the corner of the Lido ladies room for our entire cruise...most unappetizing! As for Burgers, the room service burger on RCCL is very tasty, never had one of Guy's. It is still free. But we still occasionally go for the burger/fries/onion rings at Johnny's just for the entertainment/music. And their breakfast on Oasis class of a mountain of hash browns/peppers and onions with white gravy is the bomb, also free!

To each his own. Happy cruising!:D

For the most part, Im a Royal cruiser that just tried Carnival a couple times over the last few years :) Honestly, the newest ship Ive been on was Freedom and it doesnt have most of what you listed. Magic had Guys Burgers, MDR brunch on sea days, Guys Pig and Anchor BBQ, Blue Iguana, the Deli, the Lido buffet, Pizza, Mongolian Wok, Tandoor all of which are included in your cruise fare. Cucina Del Capitano is also "free" during lunch. I guess it just all depends on which ship you try on both lines. I am VERY MUCH looking forward to Harmony to experience all you have listed :)

Just curious since my first Carnival cruise some years ago was also my last - are these options available on ALL ships or just the newer ones? I know OP is sailing on one of RCI’s older ships that doesn’t have all of the food options that the newer ships have.

Dear all,

First RCI cruise......so from my understanding....there is no fresh grilled burgers and fries (like Guy's joint).....cafeteria style burgers and hots probably in some big metal container of "juice" on the buffet and soggy fries......No Blue Iguana or anything comparable to that on RCI.....

What great "FREE" food items does RCI have?!?! What is there to eat for lunch?!?!!? What am I missing here?!?!

Booking a cruise based on burgers and fries is absolute insanity. Maybe you should stay home and spend your cruise fare on Five Guys and McDonald's.

Uuuuggghhhh, i just can't help it....... going to reply.

Our usual feeding plan on ships is as follows:

Breakfast is MDR, either buffet or a la carte. Lunch varies... just a walk thru the Windjammer or Park Cafe if available. Dinner is usually MDR unless we eat at a specialty restaurant.

So, Sorrentos pizza... I would put it at the level of not great frozen pizza. It is what it is. Kids definitely seem to love it and I eat a slice or two if I'm passing through or am sitting nearby. Not something I would plan to eat for dinner, personally. If you have your favorite pizza you've eaten since childhood, then this might not stack up.

Things such as burgers just aren't our thing usually. Unless they are truly high quality meat, we just don't eat them. Its just us. Every once in a while, we hit a place. But in that situation, Windjammer burger would suffice.

That all said, your experience may vary, don't judge me as I won't judge you as you eat your pizza with a windjammer dog and a big serving of butterfish. Without fresh cracked pepper.

Am I the only person on earth who doesn't think Guy Fieri's burgers are all that? I've eaten in his restaurant in NYC and they were meh. I get better ones down the street at Schnippers.

When you are 3 Bloody Mary's and 3 beers in at noon I bet Guy's burgers taste spectacular.

Your Schnippers burgers would probably be heavenly . . .

Wholly crap! You sir are going to need a liver before too long. We once had a neighbor who would drink a six-pack each night when he got home from work. Needless to say, their recycle container was fuller than their regular trash can. I can't possibly imagine REGULARLY drinking more than 15 adult beverages in a day and still being able to function normally even while on vacation.

It is not as difficult as you think if you properly pace yourself. Slow and steady wins the race. I am on vacation. If you are like me, that means a rare chance to kick back and not worry about a thing.

Bloody Marys, screwdrivers or mimosas with breakfast.

Foo Foo drinks and/or beer during the day.

Wine with dinner.

Drinks during after dinner activities.

Nightcaps.

Spread all of that over a 12-16 hour period and I can get to 15 easy and be fine. I don't know if I could do it for 7 days straight, but on a sea day mixed in to the port days its not unheard of.

To me the bigger issue is all the extra calories. Beyond all the food that I eat there are another 2,000 + calories in all those drinks, and its basically sugar.

And for the record, I do not do the above at home. No way I am drinking in the morning if I may have to drive somewhere later in the day.

It is not as difficult as you think if you properly pace yourself. Slow and steady wins the race. I am on vacation. If you are like me, that means a rare chance to kick back and not worry about a thing.

Wine with dinner.

Nightcaps.

Spread all of that over a 12-16 hour period and I can get to 15 easy and be fine. I don't know if I could do it for 7 days straight, but on a sea day mixed in to the port days its not unheard of.

To me the bigger issue is all the extra calories. Beyond all the food that I eat there are another 2,000 + calories in all those drinks, and its basically sugar.

And for the record, I do not do the above at home. No way I am drinking in the morning if I may have to drive somewhere later in the day.

I agree. I am not a big drinker at home but on a cruise I partake much more that I would any other time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To be fair, this is one area that RCCL lacks when compared to competition. It's something that's been a bummer for us for years. Even though we love our RCCL cruises, I do wish there were more "included with cruise fare" dining options, especially at night. I'm perfectly fine with the Wind Jammer buffet at lunch, and to be honest we probably do the MDR for lunch just as often.

Speaking of the Voyager and Freedom class ships, which are our favorites: after what, 9pm? the buffet is closed and the ONLY options are Pizza, and finger sandwiches (which get VERY repetitive after a few days.), and maybe some various cold salads.

The problem for us is that we love the RCCL ships, layout, and activities to do on-board. To us, other lines just don't compare. So I guess we can't just have it all and we deal with the lack of nightly food options.

Dan

Dear all,

First RCI cruise......so from my understanding....there is no fresh grilled burgers and fries (like Guy's joint).....cafeteria style burgers and hots probably in some big metal container of "juice" on the buffet and soggy fries......No Blue Iguana or anything comparable to that on RCI.....

What great "FREE" food items does RCI have?!?! What is there to eat for lunch?!?!!? What am I missing here?!?!

Not meaning any disrespect, but maybe you should stay on Carnival. If you have such a negative attitude before you even board I don't want to bump into you on the ship. Enjoy your cruise.

Booking a cruise based on burgers and fries is absolute insanity. Maybe you should stay home and spend your cruise fare on Five Guys and McDonald's.

When did he say he was booking his cruise based on burgers and fries?

Wine with dinner.

Nightcaps.

(y) and get out right fired with alcohol in the system. Definately a bad thing getting fired, but more so having alcohol in the body while working.

When did he say he was booking his cruise based on burgers and fries?

(y) and get out right fired with alcohol in the system. Definately a bad thing getting fired, but more so having alcohol in the body while working.

The post is complaining about burgers and fries first of all and secondly I don’t see anything about going to work with alcohol in your system or anyone being fired. The poster that said he can hit or exceed the 15 drinks was saying, I believe, that when he/she is on vacation they tend to drink more and would not do it at home.

Everything on RC appears to be a little more expensive, gratuities, drink plan, burgers.

Here is what I am hoping to see on RC. I am hoping the food is a little more upscale. Everything is so bland on Carnival lately. I am also looking for a better loyalty program. Lastly, I am hoping the shows are better. At least they should be different.

Food - I would say more "upscale", but sometimes this does not equate to better taste. Yes a better LOYALTY program. Yes, they offer a variety of SHOWS that many find better depending on your tastes. Lastly, yes, RC does charge more than other lines for drinks, restaurants, grats, etc. However, based on your 3 "hope" items above, I think you will enjoy your cruise on RC. :)

To be fair, this is one area that RCCL lacks when compared to competition. It's something that's been a bummer for us for years. Even though we love our RCCL cruises, I do wish there were more "included with cruise fare" dining options, especially at night. I'm perfectly fine with the Wind Jammer buffet at lunch, and to be honest we probably do the MDR for lunch just as often.

Speaking of the Voyager and Freedom class ships, which are our favorites: after what, 9pm? the buffet is closed and the ONLY options are Pizza, and finger sandwiches (which get VERY repetitive after a few days.), and maybe some various cold salads.

The problem for us is that we love the RCCL ships, layout, and activities to do on-board. To us, other lines just don't compare. So I guess we can't just have it all and we deal with the lack of nightly food options.

Dan

I haven't cruised Royal in a while, but they have no late night snacks? On NCL they have snacks on the buffet from 9:30-11:30 and O'Sheehans is always open with limited menu,

I haven't cruised Royal in a while, but they have no late night snacks? On NCL they have snacks on the buffet from 9:30-11:30 and O'Sheehans is always open with limited menu,

Nope, not besides what I mentioned. Open late: Pizza, finger sandwiches, cold salads, and some cookies/cakes

For a fee you can order room service, or Johnny Rockets can be open a little late but you need to pay for those.

I don't remember if the Oasis class had other late night food included in the cruise fare, but don't remember any. (I could be wrong though, only done the Oasis class once)

Dan

I must be getting old. How do people remember which ship they sailed, had the best fries? I can’t even remember what I had for dinner last night

I guess when you’ve only been on 5 cruises it’s not hard [emoji5] I just remember we kept sneaking the fries on Royal.

I keep seeing Carnival cruisers say this and it confuses me. I have not been on a RCCL ships for about 4 years so I may not be remembering correctly but I thought they were about equal in free food offerings. On our Carnival cruises there was the MDR, the buffet, the Blue Iguana, pizza and Guy's Burgers. On RCCL there is the MDR, the buffet, Park Cafe, Sorrento's, the Boardwalk Dog House, Boardwalk Donuts, the Solarium Bistro and Vitality Cafe and the Cafe Promenade. Am I missing something?

** And this post is not a knock on Carnival but I have seen the statements that Carnival has more free food so I am wondering what I have missed here.

Carnival also has the Cucina for lunch (made to order pasta, etc), Guy's Pig & Anchor BBQ, mongolian wok and the deli all included.

I can totally understand wanting burgers, fries, etc for lunch on vacation. I eat pretty healthy all year. I abstain from fast food and when I do eat out it is usually a salad or protein/veg combo.

Vacation is my time to let loose a little, have fun and eat burgers, pizza and desserts. I don't eat high-brow food at home and I don't want or need it on vacation.