**LIVE** Grandeur of the Seas 4/26/2018 - 5/4/2018.

Good Morning from Baltimore. For some odd reason, I woke up at 3:30 this morning for no reason. I tossed and turn to squeeze a bit more sleep, but gave up at about 6:30.

243967eb544ce38f329602101cd8827a.jpg

This is the saddest photo on any cruise. I will be spending as much time onboard as possible. I don’t want to wake my friend up too early.

Breakfast goes till 8:30. I plan to have breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

42924e34e1b1f8c74f7ba5f573543c24.jpg

Debarkation seems to be going smoothly. Obviously I will not be able to take a photo of the customs line, but this time there are no customs declaration forms here in Baltimore.

Thus ends my 4th journey on the Grandeur of the Seas. I realized I have spent 37 days on this ship. And it will not be my last, though I have to admit part of the reason is the convenience of Baltimore.

Final Thoughts for this cruise.

There were two slight hiccups that marred this cruise.

First was the crew party and the way security handled it. Upon reflection, I believe the best way to have handled it in my opinion was giving me notice. Ya know, when a neighbor goes “hey, heads up, we’re having a party and just wanted to give you a heads up.”. Shoot, I could have found a place to hang until 2:30. It was the not knowing until literally the end of the party and then told just deal with it because you’ve dealt with it for this long already.

Second was the internet. This factor is the main reason I will probably not solo again without my wife. Staying in touch was the worst considering how unstable the system is. And this is the 3rd time i’ve gotten Voom on Grandeur and this is the first time it was this bad. I posted speed test because that was expected, but at least i stayed connected.

The new one menu system at dinner. I’m still torn on this. Its nice that dinner is closer to an hour than two, but at the same time, I think it detracts from the bonding with your waitstaff. Granted, my main waiter was my first repeat, so I already knew I had a good one, but with this new system, its a little more difficult to gauge.

Food, as you’ve seen in my photos, look good. I have not had any complaints in the food, but I know to avoid certain things. You did not see me get fish at all. Nor did I ever get a burger or pizza and if you knew me, I’m a serious burger snob. (okay burger, coffee, pizza, am I just a snob?).

Mike, if you’re still reading. You are an amazing CD and I hope you get a permanent posting. More CDs on Royal Caribbean should take notes on your aptitude. Its not what you do, its how you do it. Your attitude more than anything pushed this cruise into one of the better cruises in my history. Although there is no way for me to predict where you will be on my next booking, I hope to have you as a CD again in the future.

And last, this itinerary. Even though this is my 2nd time on this itinerary, I’ve considered this to be a mundane trip. 3 US ports and Bahamas. But i’ve realized that this itinerary is awesome. Oddly enough, being connected at those port of calls because of cellular signal gave these ports way more accessibility than the foreign ones. That accessibility allows for something new each time and uber/lyft allows for low cost transportation that would otherwise be inaccessible.

Thank you all for your kind words and encouraging me to continue through. I wasnt sure I would have enough to write about. I will definitely try to do another Live thread in the future. I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you.

I've enjoyed following your review. I've been on Grandeur 10 times. Most recently in Jan.' date='2018.

What do you mean by "The new one menu system at dinner" was a concern to you?[/quote']

This was my 4th time.

Prior to this year, there used to be two menus. You order appetizers and main course. After that is served, you got your dessert menu and ordered dessert. Now, you get one menu in the beginning and order everything first including dessert. Then everything comes out. Another change was the menu presentation. Last year, each menu had a theme. That has gone too.

Even though I got off the ship the day you boarded, I enjoyed your review. We love the Grandeur but are not thrilled with the latest itenararies. But it is such a convient and easy port, so we keep booking a couple each year.

I also was not thrilled with the new menus because there were so few new items each night. We had lots of issues with the internet but others were not having issues. It was just odd but definitely off for us. Mike was a great CD. I am hoping to get him again but I believe he will be much in demand.

Anyway, welcome back.

Even though I got off the ship the day you boarded, I enjoyed your review. We love the Grandeur but are not thrilled with the latest itenararies. But it is such a convient and easy port, so we keep booking a couple each year.

I also was not thrilled with the new menus because there were so few new items each night. We had lots of issues with the internet but others were not having issues. It was just odd but definitely off for us. Mike was a great CD. I am hoping to get him again but I believe he will be much in demand.

Anyway, welcome back.

I have previous menus from last year from similar itineraries. I’m not 100% sure if selections are less, or just appear to be. I will compare when i have time

Hi Hansen,

Just thought I would poke my head in one more time.

Thank you for the nice words. I am lucky to be surrounded on this ship by supportive management and an amazing team. The guests who sail out of this port that I have experienced in two voyages are friendly and get involved. All of this makes doing the job an absolute pleasure. It was great meeting you at the CC gathering on Day 2. I hope to see you again in the future.

Happy sailings

Mike

I have previous menus from last year from similar itineraries. I’m not 100% sure if selections are less, or just appear to be. I will compare when i have time

There is definitely less variation with this new menu style.

Funny, I did not have any internet issues but my friend had the same as you. I have to agree with you about Mike. He was awesome! He really brought energy and life to the cruise. I also really enjoyed this itinerary. Missing Coco Cay broke my record tho. 17 cruises with a private island stop and that was the only miss.

I already have Navigator booked in November and I also added Allure for 2019 while I was onboard. FYI, they STILL do reduced deposits onboard but ONLY for non-refundable bookings.

I think inspired my wife who is a waaaay better writer than I. I suspect we may try to do one then. In November, Aruba, Bonaire and Caracao are ports which are new to us.

I’m not quite done here yet. There’s still tomorrow morning, but since its going to be early, I’m pretty much done for the night.

We booked anthem in August 2019 (refundable) while on board. We’re doing the NE/Canada route. Something new for us. You have been on anthem right? We were on allure and while it’s an awesome ship it was waayyy too big for us! We’re hoping Anthem isn’t as bad but if it is we’ll just stick to voyager class ships (so far my favorites!). But I’m loyal to Royal all the way! Enjoy your diamond experience next cruise! Your wife will love unlimited booze in the lounge and 3 free drinks on the card between 4:30 and 8 every night!

Funny, I did not have any internet issues but my friend had the same as you. I have to agree with you about Mike. He was awesome! He really brought energy and life to the cruise. I also really enjoyed this itinerary. Missing Coco Cay broke my record tho. 17 cruises with a private island stop and that was the only miss.

Same here! This cruise broke my perfect record of going to cococay :( but it’s ok! We were able to get to Nassau before it rained all day lol.

Should hope not, lol.

I sailed on Grandeur last year, worst ship ever, full of Americans all over the place. Nobody friendly at the meet & greet, no fun at all.

The wife and I were the only British onboard apart from the entertainment team. We sat on our own most of the time and never spoke to anyone, too scared too. We saw some Texas ladies and thought they were going to get their guns out and shoot us. As for the locals from Baltimore, they were the worst of all. Shouting and screaming all the time and doing this weird thing with their hands, I think it was called "clapping".

Couldn't take part in the quizzes onboard as all the questions and answers were in American. so the spellings were wrong.

Is this a joke?:lips-sealed: :lips-sealed::lips-sealed::lips-sealed::lips-sealed::confused::confused:

Anyway, welcome back.

Hi, Carol.

For me, a good cruise is good because of the great people I get to spend time with. Thanks for being "those people" this cruise. :)

(I agree about not enough choices on the new menu)

There was a “fair” at the Centrum. It reminds me of the school carnival. It was cute but not my kind of thing. There are 3 things on the schedule. The Last Jedi (duuuh, May 4th), the good bye show and the late night comedian. I did a search for the guy and he seemed funny from what I saw. Somewhere between all that, I will pack.

Hi Hansen,

Just thought I would poke my head in one more time.

Thank you for the nice words. I am lucky to be surrounded on this ship by supportive management and an amazing team. The guests who sail out of this port that I have experienced in two voyages are friendly and get involved. All of this makes doing the job an absolute pleasure. It was great meeting you at the CC gathering on Day 2. I hope to see you again in the future.

Happy sailings

Mike

Mike, if you are still reading:

I LOVED the Grandeur Fair. So much fun - as I told you at the time.

And your reply to Hansen is so typical of you: Deflecting credit to others. You are just one great guy. I am SO THRILLED that you have returned to Royal Caribbean. (I still think that I was the only passenger who had met you before!!!)

thanks for posting during your cruise, especially with the connectivity issues.

When you say discounted next cruise bookings on the ship, do you mean the old $100 deposit or something different? We try to book our next one on board every time but last time they weren't offering this at the next cruise booth. We ended up not going at all last year because of this sadly.

I hope Mike the CD is still on board next month, he seems awesome.