Breakfast Item Question

Does HAL have grits st breakfast?

I can't remember from the Euro dam last time if they had grits and oatmeal or just oatmeal.

Please don't flame me, I am from the Northeast but over the last 30 years + I have lived in the South I have learned to embrace Southern food. ..and I just LOVE grits......

Among some other Southern foods which I really enjoy.

Thanks very much!

I don't remember seeing them on the breakfast menu, but they might be available at the buffet.
I just checked a breakfast hang card that I happened to keep from 12/16. No grits listed anywhere. I think I've gotten them in the Lido.

I like to get congee at the Lido Asian station and shake in Tabasco! It isn't always showing in the display case, but if you ask they'll go in the back and get it.

Does HAL have grits st breakfast?

I can't remember from the Euro dam last time if they had grits and oatmeal or just oatmeal.

Please don't flame me, I am from the Northeast but over the last 30 years + I have lived in the South I have learned to embrace Southern food. ..and I just LOVE grits......

Among some other Southern foods which I really enjoy.

Thanks very much!

Got off the Massdam this March on a 28 day Lima round trip and they had grits available. It came with cream, brown sugar, and raisins (yuck). Just bring me extra butter

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love grits and we have seen a southern shrimp and grits choice now several times on the dinner menu, so I agree should also be showing up on the breakfast menu too. Particularly now since HAL is responding to the numbers of requests for gluten-free options.

Got off the Massdam this March on a 28 day Lima round trip and they had grits available. It came with cream, brown sugar, and raisins (yuck). Just bring me extra butter

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes ma'am. ..just butter and salt for me too....the best!

DH does butter and sugar.

This is a running debate in our house.

DH is originally from Texas. His idea of how to eat grits is different from me. But then again his BBQ ideas differ ftom mine too.

I have lived in FL, KY and NC...also visit SC frequently.....so my preferences on Southern cuisine don't always jive with his.

But then again, what do I know?

I'm a transplanted Yankee!;)

Thanks, glad they have it on some cruises. Depends on the route/itinerary I guess.

I love grits and we have seen a southern shrimp and grits choice now several times on the dinner menu, so I agree should also be showing up on the breakfast menu too. Particularly now since HAL is responding to the numbers of requests for gluten-free options.

Shrimp and grits is to die for if it is done properly. ...I agree!!!

Absolutely. The grits in the Lido are a bit runny for my taste, so I get a bowl and let them sit while I finish my fruit. But they are really good grits. I add butter, salt, pepper, and sliced link sausage to mine. It's my usual cruise breakfast.

On my last cruise, the grits server noticed when one morning I went for an omelette, and he feigned being hurt that I "cheated" on him.

I have always found the grits on cruise ships (and in all too many landslide restaraunts) wayyyyyy to runny and watery. I firmly believe one should be able to slice them and eat them with a fork - thick enough to keep their "shape" when on a plate, not so thin they look like a liquid ..... I prefer mine with extra sharp cheddar, jalapeños and hot sauce.

I have always found the grits on cruise ships (and in all too many landslide restaraunts) wayyyyyy to runny and watery. I firmly believe one should be able to slice them and eat them with a fork - thick enough to keep their "shape" when on a plate, not so thin they look like a liquid ..... I prefer mine with extra sharp cheddar, jalapeños and hot sauce.

I like mine on the thicker side as well. My guide is whether or not they will hold up a spoon. I found getting the grits in a bowl and leaving them to sit while you get the rest of your breakfast -- coffee, fruit, juice, toast, eggs, sausage, bacon, etc. really helps thicken them up. It does mean you need to have someone to guard your table so if you're a solo traveller it might be difficult.

Thanks for asking the question. DH will be happy, he just slops his grits in with his runny fried eggs - blick!

Me - the name says it all, gritty! Give me hash browns or fried potatoes!

Me - the name says it all, gritty! Give me hash browns or fried potatoes!

LOL you sound like us. I love hash browns and fried potatoes, DH doesn't like them. DH loves grits, I won't touch them (and I have tried them, made by my MIL who supposedly made the best). :rolleyes:

Okay, here's another debate question:

Hash Browns

or

Home Fries/fried potatoes

(and do they have both on HAL???)

I vote for Hash Browns hands down!

PS - but grits is always my first choice if available!

I have seen both. The home fries/fried potatoes (mixed with some peppers are quite good) Other days it's the pre-formed "hash brown patty" which isn't good JMO.

I have seen both. The home fries/fried potatoes (mixed with some peppers are quite good) Other days it's the pre-formed "hash brown patty" which isn't good JMO.

I guess those pre-formed patties are kind of like what they serve up in fast food places. You are right, it's hash browns, but not the real kind that are shredded potatoes fried in a pan.

I'm not sure I have had Home Fries on a ship, but have had the Hash Browns ( of the Golden Arches type). Palatable, but surely not like freshly prepared Hash Browns.

Grits? Available on the Zaandam this Winter. Congee? Also available. Both are an "acquired" taste, I think. After trying both--more than once--it's a taste I have yet to "acquire".

I was used to Cream of Wheat as a kid up north...it was a small adjustment to jump to grits here in the South.

Cream of Wheat?!! Oh, I remember my Mother trying to get me to eat this! It's probably a miracle I am not still sitting at the table while she insists I finish my breakfast of this cereal.