Using your cell phone on ship

travsmom

I will be cruising with my family in a few days and some of them want to use their cell phones for taking pictures and for reading. Is this possible or will it cost them a arm and leg. How do they go about this,they have Verizon phones. Does Carnival give you some kind of deal. Thank you for the information.

I will be cruising with my family in a few days and some of them want to use their cell phones for taking pictures and for reading. Is this possible or will it cost them a arm and leg. How do they go about this,they have Verizon phones. Does Carnival give you some kind of deal. Thank you for the information.

No problem taking pictures. For reading download whatever before you get on the ship.

You can get internet plan but expensive and slow. Turn data off and go on airplane mode

Have them download everything they want to read before boarding the ship, then put the phones in airplane mode. Turning the phones on at sea connects them to the ships cell phone tower, which is very expensive. I believe the photo setting will also work in airplane mode.

Yes and yes. I have read horror stories. Like others have said, Airplane mode, turning off data roam, etc is the best bet. The question is, are your kids savvy enough to be trusted. I am not saying they aren't by the way, but it is worth questioning, not knowing their ages and all.

Speaking of the Carnival App, so you just download it, turn on wifi(turn phone to airplane mode also?) and then you can send messages through the Carnival App to family(who also must have the app open?),

Speaking of the Carnival App, so you just download it, turn on wifi(turn phone to airplane mode also?) and then you can send messages through the Carnival App to family(who also must have the app open?),

Yes to your post except for "(who also must have the app open?)" not sure if they have to have it open for you to send messages, but it will need to be open for them to read. I used the Princess cruise app, and it worked great. It has everything right at the tips of your fingers. For example, MDR menus, what going on around the ship (fun times schedules), and more. Also, the Princess app did NOT ding, beep, vibrate when text/messages came through. You only knew of it when you physically looked. Special note* to insure no extra charges from your phone carrier *WiFi on, and phone set to airplane mode*. So with that said like another poster already said download anything you want prior to getting on the ship.

Problem with IPhone. It’s keeps asking you to turn on data. So you cab accidentally turn on data. If you get the second internet plan above social.

You can only have one device connected at a time. You can e mail text and sometimes make WiFi phone calls with that plan.

Also you can log off one phone and log on another as a family can all use it .

I have my wife and my iPhones on an unlimited talk and text international plan that covers us when on the ship.

We are limited to just 200mb each though.

We will keep data off if possible but ashore we are unlimited across the board.

Was a pricey option but I would rather spend a few bucks and have communication when we need it versus saving a buck and not.

This is on ATT

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To use the chat feature of the Hub app there is a $5 charge per portfolio that uses it. It is $5 for the cruise, not per day. Those you are sending messages to would also need to have purchased the chat portion of the app. I think it does need to be open to receive messages, and each portfolio number can only be used on one device at a time.

Yes to your post except for "(who also must have the app open?)" not sure if they have to have it open for you to send messages, but it will need to be open for them to read. I used the Princess cruise app, and it worked great. It has everything right at the tips of your fingers. For example, MDR menus, what going on around the ship (fun times schedules), and more. Also, the Princess app did NOT ding, beep, vibrate when text/messages came through. You only knew of it when you physically looked. Special note* to insure no extra charges from your phone carrier *WiFi on, and phone set to airplane mode*. So with that said like another poster already said download anything you want prior to getting on the ship.

Carnival's is an app that you download, but I thought Princess was a web page and not an app - did this change?