HAL to Disband HAL Dancers and Singers

ramonod

Yes, that takes place on other ships as well. In a Code Red situation, it is "all hands on deck" because there will be crew who will be as ill as the guests.

We had them helping in the Lido on the Volendam during a neurovirus outbreak from Shanghai to Tianjin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I noticed this:

Mentions the development of the World Stage, and that this was originated on two ships, will be on twelve ships, including the Nieuw Statendam.

Also mentions the efforts to increase demographics.

Definitely NOT doing away with the singers and dancers... Just the old program of singers and dancers.

Challenge

Holland America Line sought a diversified partner with strong operating capabilities to value-engineer an entertainment program that would have a direct impact on widening their demographic.

Strategy

We conceived and created a state-of-the-art, versatile LED lighting and stage design system, bringing to life thrilling environments and effects at a fraction of the cost and storage requirements of traditional hard scenery. We put world-class talent center stage with a global recruiting initiative that returned the industry to an aspirational destination for performers. To help performers exceed guest expectations each and every day, we executed an incentive program to consistently raise the experience for everyone onboard.

Results

Holland America Line now enjoys a preferred demographic with results achieved in just five years. Our entertainment has lead to increased guest scores and historically low cast member turnover. Originally contracted for two ships, we are slated to oversee twelve ships including the newest vessel in the fleet, the Nieuw Statendam in 2018.

I also watched the video which shows the types of productions that are being done.

Click on the tab on top of the page for WORK, and then click Holland America Line....

PS: Just me, personally, I am not a huge fan of this World Stage panoramic set up. While it might work well for certain types of things, for regular theater shows, I find it to be just too visually 'overwhelming'. Could probably say the same thing about auditory overload, if it is just non-stop loud ongoing engineered music.

Edited by Wishing on a star

I haven't yet personally experienced the "world stage", but am concerned by two things. First, the term "value engineering" is show business-speak for "cost-cutting". Second, one can never fully replace practical sets with digital projections, at least not in a show of any quality.

So the way I read that is "We came up with a way to offer a cut-rate show that HAL's typical clientele (older folks who've seen shows done the right way) might not appreciate, but we're trying to appeal to younger, less affluent travelers who won't know any better or care."

I haven't yet personally experienced the "world stage", but am concerned by two things. First, the term "value engineering" is show business-speak for "cost-cutting". Second, one can never fully replace practical sets with digital projections, at least not in a show of any quality.

So the way I read that is "We came up with a way to offer a cut-rate show that HAL's typical clientele (older folks who've seen shows done the right way) might not appreciate, but we're trying to appeal to younger, less affluent travelers who won't know any better or care."

I have seen some shows on the World Stage and I agree with your assessment. Although the projections can be very interesting and entertaining, they tend to be overdone and HAL is relying more on the “wow” factor of the technology than good production numbers for the singers and dancers. And it quickly becomes redundant from show to show and starts to lose its appeal.

Yes, I noticed this:
That's a great find, in terms of giving us some real insight into the intended future of entertainment on the cruise line. Key words that folks shouldn't ignore:

diversified partner
So they aim to run a cruise line, and aim to have other experts do what they do.

value-engineer
What they presents reflects a profitability ethic. Any consideration of what they would do in the future ignoring this is bound to be wrong.

widening their demographic
And for this cruise line that means attracting younger people - they are already far-and-away the best option for older people at this price-point, and that demographic has no other place to go (at the same price-point) that isn't doing the same, even if affected by the changes needed to attract younger people.

That seems like a very sound interpretation, though I'd use "cost-effective" rather than "cut-rate". It isn't cost-cutting for the sake of cost-cutting; it is cost-cutting so that it costs what it is worth.

Was this tour free and open to the public? Or was it based on your Mariner level? I've done these on Royal and always find them enjoyable. On Oasis of the Seas, we had the Stage Manager give the tour because we were Diamond level members. Public tours were given by the cast.

It was free and open to all passengers and arranged in the morning of the second sea day later on in the 12 day cruise.

now there is a real money saver. HAVE the paying guests provide the 'entertaiment'. Here's hoping some have a smidgeon of talent. :eek:

WHAT next?

Will we have to make our own beds?

Wash dishes? :D

Agreed. Either pay for good entertainment or just eliminate it.

A bunch of seniors like myself in a singing competition I will pass on.

I cringe at the thought.

It's a cruise ship; not Broadway. I have not shelled out $500 for a 2 hour show in NYC and don't expect such. If I want to see a top-rate production I don't think "cruise ship".

It's a cruise ship; not Broadway. I have not shelled out $500 for a 2 hour show in NYC and don't expect such. If I want to see a top-rate production I don't think "cruise ship".
Perhaps, but Royal and NCL ships DO offer Broadway musicals. For those, you need scenary. For the revue type shows that HAL does, I don't think it's a big deal. I'd rather they focus of putting together shows with decent musical choices and quality performers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Some of the shows I've seen on RCI were every bit as good as on Broadway. In fact, I'd say they were a little better because RCI's theater seating is a lot more comfortable than some Broadway theaters.

I don't expect HAL to compete with RCI's entertainment, but it would be nice if they at least tried to match Princess and Celebrity.

Yes, I would not expect 'broadway', or maybe even off-broadway. (which is what is purported on other lines)

However, I very much agree with how this concept is bing used. Going only for the hi-tech WOW factor.

The bright, and constantly in NEVER-ENDING motion and 'OVERDONE' projection images, for me, are an issue.

They could use this concept very very well!!!!! IF DONE RIGHT!!!!

Since this seems to be a work in progress, and HAL is putting some real effort and money into this....

I wonder if there might be some way to contact HAL, and/or the entertainment production company, with this opinion/suggestion.

Yes, I would not expect 'broadway', or maybe even off-broadway. (which is what is purported on other lines)

However, I very much agree with how this concept is bing used. Going only for the hi-tech WOW factor.

The bright, and constantly in NEVER-ENDING motion and 'OVERDONE' projection images, for me, are an issue.

They could use this concept very very well!!!!! IF DONE RIGHT!!!!

Since this seems to be a work in progress, and HAL is putting some real effort and money into this....

I wonder if there might be some way to contact HAL, and/or the entertainment production company, with this opinion/suggestion.

There is. I have made comments similar to yours in my on-line survey that I get after each cruise. I’ve made these comments each time I’ve cruised on the Koningsdam.

24 cruises: 10 HAL (3-Star Mariner, soon to be 4-Star), 5 Princess (Platinum), 1 Celebrity, 2 Royal Caribbean, 2 Carnival, 4 Oceanic

No tears shed by this cruiser. The ship song & dance shows have become 2nd rate and with a louder is better mentally. The lead screamers are pathetic.

We totally agree with you. Try new things. BB King is good but we are not fans of the dueling pianos.

Take a cruise and then give your feedback on the after cruise survey if you are polled. If enough people agree with you then that will prompt a change in direction.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Disagree with the lead singers being pathetic. Matter of opinion but not in my Cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They have truly been hit and miss on our previous HAL cruises. Some have been amazing, most have been mediocre, and some have been simply awful. On last year's Voyage of the Viking cruise we did not think that any of the singers were better than average...but we had an amazing group of dancers. The situation is similar on many other lines...many of whom simply use a third party production company to produce the shows, hire the singers and dancers, etc. RCI is somewhat unique in that they have their own production facility and do it all "in house." Many cruisers would agree that the productions on the huge Mega ships of RCI are the best in the industry and in an entirely difference class then the karaoke style high school productions found on lines like HAL.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently on board Koningsdam and just wanted to post that the title of this thread actually IS correct. They're no longer going to have a cast of singers and dancers specific to each ship. Instead, revues (with smaller casts) will move between ships as guest entertainers do. I got this from the CD on my sailing after being told by two of the current cast members that they were indeed getting rid of the singers and dancers.

I'm about to lose free Wi-Fi in port (Stevanger) so I won't be able to respond until Sunday. I don't think that this info had previously been posted; I recall people saying that HAL was just changing production companies. If this info was previously posted, my apologies.

So, obviously another cost saving move, like having guest performers do 2 different shows on the same cruise.

I'm currently on board Koningsdam and just wanted to post that the title of this thread actually IS correct. They're no longer going to have a cast of singers and dancers specific to each ship. Instead, revues (with smaller casts) will move between ships as guest entertainers do. I got this from the CD on my sailing after being told by two of the current cast members that they were indeed getting rid of the singers and dancers.

I'm about to lose free Wi-Fi in port (Stevanger) so I won't be able to respond until Sunday. I don't think that this info had previously been posted; I recall people saying that HAL was just changing production companies. If this info was previously posted, my apologies.

So, obviously another cost saving move, like having guest performers do 2 different shows on the same cruise.

Thanks for the info, but I’m not sure how much this will be noticed. The last few cruises I was on, the dancers only did a few shows anyway. [emoji483]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just like e-readers started replacing HAL libraries, live onboard entertainment production show are probably not worth the production costs, staffing, necessary prop storage space, and crew beds. For union contracts that put these personal song and dance demands over a wider useful function to the ship's staffing needs itself, was probably their final self-inflicted death knell. "Live Entertainment" now competes with low-cost electronic media as well.

Onboard shows we used to enjoy slowly over time became ear-splitting, low talent and now very easily missed. Those Ukrainian dancers in the past were terrific - very professionally trained - they were always a delight.

Personally, I would trade one librarian and re-emphais of the onboard libraries for the entire "entertainment" crew. Then use the extra beds and space for more house-keeping, dining crew members and cruise director support staff.

No tears shed by this cruiser. The ship song & dance shows have become 2nd rate and with a louder is better mentally. The lead screamers are pathetic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We haven't sailed HAL in a very long time but have one booked for this Thanksgiving. We've mostly been sailing Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. When we see a show with the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers, we often find something else to do - especially if the music is canned. If it's live, we might go as we find the musicians generally very good.

So, I also wouldn't miss the singer and dancer shows.