Wow, I cant wait! Love this cabin!

Some people with accessible needs can walk and do not look very disabled, but still have the need for the cabin and have submitted the documentation to book it that RCCL requires to do so.

RCCL requires documentation now? When did that change? Back in 2014 we got an accessible room but didn't have to produce any documentation.

Okay so I am slightly hijacking here but I need help from both Ryano and xxoo. We have 2 Junior Suites on Adventure of the Seas - not accessible. We are driving from Illinois to Bayonne / Cape Liberty. We are going to rent a scooter for my mom, who does not qualify for disabled status but can't walk long distances, and anyway she picked the rooms and this is what she wanted.

I would like your help with the scooter rental info if you know. I am looking at the vendor Scootaround, the standard scooter that holds 400 lb. and says it will fit through the standard stateroom door. It's $400 for the 6 night, 7 day rental, which is fine, as it will pretty much solve all of our problems if it works out.

So I am looking for your experience to just tell me, yes, that will fit fine in your Junior Suite and get your 76 year old mother around the ship.

Secondly though, I am not sure how to get her through the terminal before and after the cruise. She has a rolling walker but it's still a lot of walking from the drop off to the stateroom. She also has a Shoprider Streamer but it's too wide to fit in the cabin without being disassembled so I am not inclined to take it along at all. We can push her in a manual for the short distance through the terminal if they have plenty of them lying around.

I feel I am missing something here - as though there are obvious better options that I haven't figured out yet. Thanks for your help in advance.

I'm not sure if your aware that JS cabins have a tub not a walk-in shower. You may want to make sure she will be able to step over the side of tub.

I'm not sure if your aware that JS cabins have a tub not a walk-in shower. You may want to make sure she will be able to step over the side of tub.

Thank you, yes, we found photos and videos of the rooms and saw that. She says she can do it and she was happy to see all the grab bars and the handheld shower. She is ambulatory but she is slow and has pain if she walks very far, which is why we want the scooter.

RCCL requires documentation now? When did that change? Back in 2014 we got an accessible room but didn't have to produce any documentation.

There is a Guest Special Needs form that needs to be submitted, which can be done online.

I booked a GTY and was assigned an accessible cabin. I felt weird about it, since I am able bodied, so I called Royal and told them I didn't want the cabin if someone else legitimately needed it. I was assured the cabin wasn't needed by anyone with special needs, otherwise it wouldn't have been assigned to me. So I felt a bit relieved.

It's beyond comprehension to me that someone able bodied would have the nerve to book an accessible cabin. These are probably the people park in handicapped spots even if they have no permit to do so. SMH.

I booked a GTY and was assigned an accessible cabin. I felt weird about it, since I am able bodied, so I called Royal and told them I didn't want the cabin if someone else legitimately needed it. I was assured the cabin wasn't needed by anyone with special needs, otherwise it wouldn't have been assigned to me. So I felt a bit relieved.

It's beyond comprehension to me that someone able bodied would have the nerve to book an accessible cabin. These are probably the people park in handicapped spots even if they have no permit to do so. SMH.

Almost the same situation happened to us 11 yrs ago on Liberty but I was booking over the phone and the RCCL agent assigned the cabin, I argued with her about it for 5 minutes or so but she assured me it was alright. She also informed me that the ship will open up the remaining accessible cabins to the general public about 30 days out. She refused to change it actually. Then when I reported it here on CC, I got flamed for it. I was not trying to cheat or keep anyone disabled from getting that room.

Now that I am disabled, I keep a copy of the Special Needs Form on file...but we rarely book an accessible anymore. We just do suites. But when we do, I even take my state disabled auto placard because people on here have made me so uncomfortable about it.

Sorry. Just excited about my first oceanview balcony :) This is VERY nice! Just 460 + days to go :rolleyes::')

30741185_10211620011871504_8221810866295668736_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeEUk3ofjL6QI-YsPyJx6IFgIDmQXkJagfinw6Fb7_Ws4jaL-nYSJ9Oej26Q7eUm2AV82AVr1MpQ0Lp31nIr9D3qNFyUtNdIfimzKFh_u7UHhA&oh=fa4882c3084542d67d0a32ff148ab7e3&oe=5B94EC97

30743703_10211620011511495_7380270577933615104_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeEcghTLewfw1Ri9T3Em3rIpb8UB-G-sGiQ0__OcZBm-qOUU_9k3LFEsqLqb_qjc5cU--6qHGpfYw25Jwo4O7iNsap1ACpvCG-pmlsIj3K1xPg&oh=aa252dd75b4d25c2327f450c0b3c7612&oe=5B9594B9

30743488_10211620011431493_276111142378536960_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeFg2ClkKETGsEQEZGH31BxPax2ulA03NaV4lyxCMusnNSzvz5Y29VZxq_6FnYi3QE9MSzRlFbztcbTYGZdZXZMtNEjVjL75bcEhNUd_xZ7THQ&oh=ec7bc4f8881fbb4adb2755813a5b63ba&oe=5B83429C

We are in this cabin now... just to warn you... it’s SUPER LOUD! it’s too close to elevator bank and people hang in the hall outside this room. There’s also a lot of banging that goes on above it. It’s nice and big, but I rather have quiet.

Okay so I am slightly hijacking here but I need help from both Ryano and xxoo. We have 2 Junior Suites on Adventure of the Seas - not accessible. We are driving from Illinois to Bayonne / Cape Liberty. We are going to rent a scooter for my mom, who does not qualify for disabled status but can't walk long distances, and anyway she picked the rooms and this is what she wanted.

I would like your help with the scooter rental info if you know. I am looking at the vendor Scootaround, the standard scooter that holds 400 lb. and says it will fit through the standard stateroom door. It's $400 for the 6 night, 7 day rental, which is fine, as it will pretty much solve all of our problems if it works out.

So I am looking for your experience to just tell me, yes, that will fit fine in your Junior Suite and get your 76 year old mother around the ship.

Secondly though, I am not sure how to get her through the terminal before and after the cruise. She has a rolling walker but it's still a lot of walking from the drop off to the stateroom. She also has a Shoprider Streamer but it's too wide to fit in the cabin without being disassembled so I am not inclined to take it along at all. We can push her in a manual for the short distance through the terminal if they have plenty of them lying around.

I feel I am missing something here - as though there are obvious better options that I haven't figured out yet. Thanks for your help in advance.

Sry for jumping in but I can answer your questions, well a couple anyway. Yes the scooter will fit the standard doorway, I rent scooters from scootaround and our last cruise I was in a standard room on Majesty of the seas, it fitted fine through the door, it's tight but doable. You can get a wheelchair for your Mother when you go up to the terminal, they have elevators to get up to the terminal waiting room. From there you request a wheelchair when checking in. I don't know what a shop rider is so can't answer that one. Happy cruising!

We are in this cabin now... just to warn you... it’s SUPER LOUD! it’s too close to elevator bank and people hang in the hall outside this room. There’s also a lot of banging that goes on above it. It’s nice and big, but I rather have quiet.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, the only other one available is basically the same cabin 12162 but on deck 12 so Im not sure that would be any better?

Not sure you saw this the other day when it was posted, thought I would bump it back up to the top since I see you are online now.:)

Did you change to the other cabin or do you still have this one?

Thanks for the bump! Im still booked in this cabin right now. What I was seeing on my end and what the CSR was seeing on their end wasnt the same price. I hate to hear of the noise issues but maybe its just a cruise specific issue. Ive always been very close to the elevator banks and its never been a problem. It would actually cost me about 300.00 to move to a deck 6 4D that I was looking at

Thanks for the bump! Im still booked in this cabin right now. What I was seeing on my end and what the CSR was seeing on their end wasnt the same price. I hate to hear of the noise issues but maybe its just a cruise specific issue. Ive always been very close to the elevator banks and its never been a problem. It would actually cost me about 300.00 to move to a deck 6 4D that I was looking at

I wouldn't move for that money. You still have a lot of time, hopefully, something will open up for the same price or less.

• 4 months later...

@ryano

Sorry I failed to take pictures but cabin 12170 was very nice on the Symphony.  The walk-in shower had the best drainage we have ever experienced.  There is more than enough room in their cabin and access to the balcony was nice as well.

The noise however was horrible - just like what has been reported earlier.  The steward storage areas were constantly busy and the doors were slamming all day and night we also heard constant noise from glasses and plates - this was a first for us as well.

We always try to get cabins by the elevator without issue but this time we could actually hear our fellow passengers conversations as they walked by.

Ours was a kids sail free sailing and the ship was packed.

Hope your cabin is quieter and you might want to pack some ear plugs just in case 😉