room service tips

bluejay555

Oh my gosh, some of you people are cynical and just downright depressing. My goodness, is it really so wrong to hand your steward a piece of chocolate or some little thing? Really?? You are getting yourselves all worked up about this?

If they don't want the dang chocolate, they won't eat it. They will throw it out or give it to another team member. What is the big deal?

If you want to give a "goodie bag" then by all means do so. Most people will appreciate your giving spirit.

I have never received a gift that I looked upon as an "insult" as some have insinuated here. I HAVE received some gifts over my lifetime that were wildly off base, but I take the gift in the spirit it was given, even if it is something I don't need and cannot use. I appreciate the kindness that went into thinking of me enough to present me with a gift, even something as small as a piece of chocolate or something I don't need. I suspect that many of the hard working crew on board may take the same attitude.

So for those of you who want to give something, I say go right ahead. I think the crew will appreciate your gesture and if they cannot use it themselves, they will happily re-gift it to someone who can use it. Just do this in addition to your tips. Praising them to their boss is of course always an excellent idea.

As for the rest of you who are bashing this idea: Sheesh, lighten up guys. I wish I could hand out a chocolate to each and every one of you. Enjoy!

??? I'm not sure what this means.

Substitute the noun " food " in the sentence for " did " and you will know the meaning.

They are correct that crew are not permitted to store food stuffs in their cabins because it attracts insects and vermin e.g. cockroaches and rats. I suspect it's one of those rules that are often broken. If you watch any of the cruise reality shows you will often see scenes of officers performing crew cabin inspections where they specifically open closets and drawers looking for food. If foodstuffs are found the responsible crew member is verbally reprimanded if they are present during the inspection. If they are absent then a written warning can be placed in the offending crew member's file with the on board H.R. Department.

Oh my gosh, some of you people are cynical and just downright depressing. My goodness, is it really so wrong to hand your steward a piece of chocolate or some little thing? Really?? You are getting yourselves all worked up about this?
Very few people are "getting worked up" about it. Most of us are explaining in a very measured manner that it is improper and is actually an imposition on the crew member. We're asking people considering such a thing to think very carefully whether these gifters are doing what they plan to do for themselves or for the crew member, and if the latter, then they should rethink their plan. Since we're motivated by the good service we receive from these crew members, it behooves us to try to motivate others to give just cash in gratitude for that good service.

We're asking people considering such a thing to think very carefully whether these gifters are doing what they plan to do for themselves or for the crew member, and if the latter, then they should rethink their plan.
Well said! I don't know what is it about cruising that causes passengers to develop a false sense of friendship with the crew. I mean, it usually doesn't happen at AI hotels, let alone the likes of Best Western. (I'm not talking about friendly conversations with professional distance, like you would with the custodial staff at work.) What's so bad about using your manners, treating them as human beings, and giving well-deserved tips at the end? Maybe people have a sense of guilt about being served, and use gifts as a way of alleviating that guilt.

Now, put away those torches and pitchforks! In no way, shape, or form, do I consider myself to be above "the help". But looking at it from the crew's perspective, I have a feeling they don't really like it when a passenger acts like their friend. When it reality, that same "friend" can easily turn against them (read: cry to their boss) the moment something is wrong with the cabin. All while acting like a friend to their face.

If they don't want the dang chocolate, they won't eat it. They will throw it out or give it to another team member. What is the big deal?

If you want to give a "goodie bag" then by all means do so. Most people will appreciate your giving spirit.

I have never received a gift that I looked upon as an "insult" as some have insinuated here. I HAVE received some gifts over my lifetime that were wildly off base, but I take the gift in the spirit it was given, even if it is something I don't need and cannot use. I appreciate the kindness that went into thinking of me enough to present me with a gift, even something as small as a piece of chocolate or something I don't need. I suspect that many of the hard working crew on board may take the same attitude.

So for those of you who want to give something, I say go right ahead. I think the crew will appreciate your gesture and if they cannot use it themselves, they will happily re-gift it to someone who can use it. Just do this in addition to your tips. Praising them to their boss is of course always an excellent idea.

As for the rest of you who are bashing this idea: Sheesh, lighten up guys. I wish I could hand out a chocolate to each and every one of you. Enjoy!

I understand you mean well, however if a gift is given without thoughtful consideration then it is no longer a gift, but merely a gesture.

To use your example of giving everyone on this thread a piece of chocolate; it would not be appropriate for each and every one of us. I would have to give it to someone else, throw it away, or be tempted to eat it since I'm diabetic. Of course you have no way of knowing that. Now multiply that 1 kind gesture by hundreds or thousands. It becomes a much bigger issue.

And giving someone something that you no longer need or want I question if that is really a gift.

All we are saying is that you can not go wrong with a cash tip in lieu of candy or trinket. It actually is more thoughtful in this circumstance. And unless you are the kind of person that would complain at a money party, then that staff member would be appreciative of your tip.

A while back, I read a post where someone had made up goodie bags for tipping. I made a mental note to make some bags but now can't find that post. Seems like there were candies and something else the crew loved and couldn't get on the ship but I can't remember what! Anyone??

I think this is a thoughtful idea as long as you give the amount of tip that you would normally give as well as the bag of treats. Hey, who doesn't love chocolate?

Well, when the hotel worker finishes their shift, they can swing by the store on the way home to their comfy bed. On a cruise, the person delivering me room service is bunking on a ship, 1000's of miles from the comforts of home. It's a completely different scenario.

Yeah, they drop the goodie bag in the trash when picking it up their next order instead of putting in the trash at home.

I think this is a thoughtful idea as long as you give the amount of tip that you would normally give as well as the bag of treats. Hey, who doesn't love chocolate?

Who doesn't love chocolate? Millions of people who think cheap American chocolate is inedible.

I've worked with people from all over the world in my jobs, and one thing I've learned is many people from other cultures do not enjoy American candy and chocolate. Their sweets are often totally different than ours.

I toyed with the idea of giving treats/sweets, but it felt like I was looking down on them to me (you give candy to kids, not professionals who are rendering service to you). In the end I've decided to just get a handful of $2 bills from the bank before the cruise to give out. That way it's still somewhat unique since not everybody has $2 bills, but they can do with it what they please - buy things onshore, send back home, or buy beer or treats in the crew mess.

Well said! I don't know what is it about cruising that causes passengers to develop a false sense of friendship with the crew. I mean, it usually doesn't happen at AI hotels, let alone the likes of Best Western. (I'm not talking about friendly conversations with professional distance, like you would with the custodial staff at work.) What's so bad about using your manners, treating them as human beings, and giving well-deserved tips at the end? Maybe people have a sense of guilt about being served, and use gifts as a way of alleviating that guilt.

Now, put away those torches and pitchforks! In no way, shape, or form, do I consider myself to be above "the help". But looking at it from the crew's perspective, I have a feeling they don't really like it when a passenger acts like their friend. When it reality, that same "friend" can easily turn against them (read: cry to their boss) the moment something is wrong with the cabin. All while acting like a friend to their face.

Because leveling them to a familiar level reduces the guest's feelings of discomfort and mistrust.

I've worked with people from all over the world in my jobs, and one thing I've learned is many people from other cultures do not enjoy American candy and chocolate. Their sweets are often totally different than ours.

I toyed with the idea of giving treats/sweets, but it felt like I was looking down on them to me (you give candy to kids, not professionals who are rendering service to you). In the end I've decided to just get a handful of $2 bills from the bank before the cruise to give out. That way it's still somewhat unique since not everybody has $2 bills, but they can do with it what they please - buy things onshore, send back home, or buy beer or treats in the crew mess.

no. no, no... $2 bill are the bane of crew. A lot of people think giving them make THEM unique which again comes back to being about you. Many port shops will not take them. At the very least, they will need to ask another crew who has guest area privileges to exchange them.

no. no, no... $2 bill are the bane of crew. A lot of people think giving them make THEM unique which again comes back to being about you. Many port shops will not take them. At the very least, they will need to ask another crew who has guest area privileges to exchange them.

That sounds like a load of bollocks. I've never had a problem spending them anywhere and it's not like crew have crew-only shops in port. St Maarten, Bahamas, Dominican, North Carolina, everywhere takes them that I've been. A $2 US bill is worth more than the currency in many of these countries, particularly the Dominican.

That sounds like a load of bollocks. I've never had a problem spending them anywhere and it's not like crew have crew-only shops in port. St Maarten, Bahamas, Dominican, North Carolina, everywhere takes them that I've been. A $2 US bill is worth more than the currency in many of these countries, particularly the Dominican.

This is a gray area because of the ever evolving state and rate of change we see everywhere. I have read stories here where even the ship's paymaster had to be told by an American crew member that $2 bills are legitimate U.S. currency.

The $2 bill was never popular with Americans and military personnel were often paid with them to force circulation of the denomination. Many believed them to be unlucky and this is why when receiving a $2 bill with your change we would often see one corner of the bill torn off by a previous bearer who was superstitious. It was thought that by removing a corner of the bill the curse was removed from the currency.

It's an interesting history to numismatists but the bill is mostly disused today. In the end the bill's rarity makes it more annoying to use than anything else when one dollar bills are readily available and well understood by bearers and merchants alike worldwide.

I would not give an adult person working for tips a trinket or candy, that is ridiculous and insulting. Their not children in a refugee camp! Give them cash and a good comment to their boss

Exactly...goodie bags are for kids. Cash is for adults

Cash is cash is perhaps the most places in the United States. Vendors may give you a dirty look if you try to post with a $2 bill but most will take it. Outside the United States, many places that take US currency will not take $2.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Wow, North Carolina took American currency?

Yes, the small vendors at ports will simply refuse them. I have also have $20 with minor rips refused.

You try spending $2 bills in Cozumel and report back to us how well that works out for you. Hell, half of Americans don't even think they're real.

I was going to say this ... exactly. It's posted everywhere. Stories of cashiers refusing accept them as payment.

Cash and glowing reviews on comment cards are my thank you gifts of choice.

If there is a staff member I have an *exceptional* rapport with, I'll also do the "anything you want from port tomorrow?" offer. But from anyone without that unusual rapport, I think even that sort of thing could be kind of creepy and boundary-crossing.