room service tips

bluejay555

A while back, I read a post where someone had made up goodie bags for tipping. I made a mental note to make some bags but now can't find that post. Seems like there were candies and something else the crew loved and couldn't get on the ship but I can't remember what! Anyone??

A while back, I read a post where someone had made up goodie bags for tipping. I made a mental note to make some bags but now can't find that post. Seems like there were candies and something else the crew loved and couldn't get on the ship but I can't remember what! Anyone??

This topic comes up quite frequently. If you wish to give something to your cabin steward or any other crew member beyond the standard auto-gratuities, give cash. Refrain from giving candy or other "goodies" that will most likely end up in the trash. Also, if a crew member does something to make your cruise special and memorable, write a letter of praise and send it to Carnival. Be sure to include all pertinent information, such as the crew member's name, which ship, the sailing date, and what the crew member did for you. Letters of praise go into the crew member's personnel file and are of great significance when it comes time for reviews, and for possible promotions and pay raises. I guarantee that the crew member will be far more appreciative of that than any bag of candy that you hand out.

Not sure if its what you're looking for, but EECC Travels did a great Dollar Tree video which included gift bags for your cabin Stuart that included little gifts as well as cash......

I have yet to meet a steward named "Stuart".

Not sure if its what you're looking for, but EECC Travels did a great Dollar Tree video which included gift bags for your cabin Stuart that included little gifts as well as cash......

Great! Thank you!

And yes, I do know to give money when ordering room service. The bags would be an extra. I liked the idea of doing something special since we order coffee room service every morning.

Cash is King! Increase your normal tip.

If you want to make their day a little nicer: Answer the door promptly (with clothes on), Smile and say Thank-You & have a nice day. They will be appreciative of all of the above.:halo:

Oh...and have a spot already cleared off for them to set the tray down.

They will probably roll their eyes at a bag of "goodies" after they leave your room, but they will never be disappointed with a couple of bucks in their pocket.

They will probably roll their eyes at a bag of "goodies" after they leave your room, but they will never be disappointed with a couple of bucks in their pocket.

This is true and the server would never turn down the offer of a goody bag, to do so would be rude. It's fairly easy for the crew to forward funds home to their family. Lots of goody bags? Not so much.

OP, do you give a goody bag to your room service server at a first class hotel? Do you leave candy for the hotel maid? Something to consider.

It was in this thread, 4th post down:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2618086

I thought maybe it was a good idea at first, but the more I thought about it, I started wondering if the crew really liked getting the candy or if they just took it to be polite and not hurt a guest's feelings. Also, I know not all people like the same candies Americans do, what we may consider good chocolate, is unpalatable to others. So, like others said, cash and a good word to their boss is plenty. One day on our last cruise. Savina, the awesome barista at the coffee bar wasn't there and the next day we asked if she had a good day off and she told us that yes, she did, it was her reward for having a lot of good customer feedback and her and others were given an extra day off and a party. So, saying something good about them gets them rewarded.

It seems to me that giving an additional tip in cash and giving a glowing review about a crew member to management are things a passenger does for the crew member, and giving a gift of any other sort is something a passenger does for themselves.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Fill the "goody bag" with money...that's all they want.

Imagine all the crap they would get if people gave them goody bags...they have nowhere to put that stuff.

They of course will graciously thank you--as any good person would--but they throw most of that stuff away.

OP, I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but consider a couple of things. The person you are giving "goodies" to may not want or need what you're giving them.

If it's any kind of food item, it may not be something they can or should have for any number of reasons, ie. medical, doetary, religious, etc.

Also, when they deliver your order you hand them your goodie bag, they are going right back to the room service kitchen where it's most likely that they'll pick up another order to deliver someone else. They may not have any place to store whatever you've given them.

If your goodie bag contains trinkets of any kind, keep in mind their living quarters are very small, much smaller than your cabin. They don't have room to keep items they've been given, and it could end up being an inconvenience.

Again, I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but if you really want to express your gratitude or appreciation and offer a little something extra, do it with cash. An added bonus would be to make note of their name and address them by their name when you see them again around the ship, which is quite possible.

I totally agree with not giving your steward gifts. They're full-grown men and women, and so are the adult passengers. Giving a gift strikes me as awfully childish. It makes it look like you're either viewing the stewards as Third World heathens who would be wowed by dollar store trinkets, or you're making yourself look like a first-grader giving a handmade Christmas card to his/her teacher. Also don't forget: they may be your steward, but to them, you're among thousands of passengers. It's a one-sided relationship---and a business one, at that---where material gifts are simply inappropriate. Also, if you know their native language, tell them they're free to speak it to you. It'll make their job a bit easier.

I can see one exception to it. Let's say you brought a bottle of wine onboard, but never opened it. Feel free to leave it behind for your steward. It's easier than schlepping it through Border Patrol and have to explain where you got it.

TL;DR version:

Forget the gifts. Give extra cash and/or write a note of praise to their boss.

I remember they would give a small something from their home town.

Yes and one well meaning person years ago mentioned in a thread they planned to bring several home town themed John Deere tractor lapel pins to give to the staff. Ask yourself if the crew members still have or even kept the lapel pin at all? This begs the question: if well meaning guests were to offer the crew a trinket OR cash which would they choose? My bet is on the do-re-mi.

0ea57531b75d1aa068b8f606d5c4fbd5cb9035c5189adeb044cff372369c8c40.JPG

87768972.jpg

Z

OP, do you give a goody bag to your room service server at a first class hotel? Do you leave candy for the hotel maid? Something to consider.

Well, when the hotel worker finishes their shift, they can swing by the store on the way home to their comfy bed. On a cruise, the person delivering me room service is bunking on a ship, 1000's of miles from the comforts of home. It's a completely different scenario.

Would you tip any other person in the service industry with a trinket that might mean something to you but surely won't mean a thing to them ? OF COURSE NOT !

As stated, their storage area is less than tiny - a room steward one told me they have 2 small drawers to keep personal items in.

For whatever reason, there are always people here who seem to think they have some kind of special, personal relationship with the crew on these ships and that giving them some kind of trinket will hold some long lasting special significance - these crew people see 2400 new faces every week. They sacrifice being away from their families for 9 months to be able to send MONEY home to their spouse & kids.

Would you accept candy from a stranger? Why would a cabin steward?

Um, Halloween?? And how many businesses have candy bowls out and we let our children take a piece?

This whole thread is getting so weird and blown out of proportion. It's CANDY, ya'll. Candy. Big whoop. The serious tone some of you have taken does make me chuckle though.

Um, Halloween?? And how many businesses have candy bowls out and we let our children take a piece?

This whole thread is getting so weird and blown out of proportion. It's CANDY, ya'll. Candy. Big whoop. The serious tone some of you have taken does make me chuckle though.

Around here we trick-or-treat in our neighborhoods. Not at strangers' houses we met five minutes ago.