room service tips

bluejay555

Like others have said, cash is king. Official praise and positive reviews also help. I read somewhere once that calling cards are well received yo that they can call home to their families, but I would bet the cruise line has the means for them to do that anyway... so I opt to give cash and reviews.

Well, when the hotel worker finishes their shift, they can swing by the store on the way home to their comfy bed. On a cruise, the person delivering me room service is bunking on a ship, 1000's of miles from the comforts of home. It's a completely different scenario.

No, like I said today's technology allows the crew to transfer funds to their family with the click of a mouse. Try doing that with a treat. I know you mean no disrespect and nothing but kindness. The truth is they work as hard as they do to support extended families unlike in American culture. Often one crew member provides for grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles. This is the reason they are away from their comfy beds 1000's of miles from their homes. Humans need cash, not treats.

Like others have said, cash is king. Official praise and positive reviews also help. I read somewhere once that calling cards are well received yo that they can call home to their families, but I would bet the cruise line has the means for them to do that anyway... so I opt to give cash and reviews.

Telephone calling cards are an anachronism from a bygone era. The crew have cell phones. Walk outside on the promenade deck or look to the fo'c'sle while in port on most ships and you will see them.

Around here we trick-or-treat in our neighborhoods. Not at strangers' houses we met five minutes ago.

We'd go out to the neighborhoods out by the lake where the rich people lived, they would give out full sized candy bars :D

This whole thread is getting so weird and blown out of proportion. It's CANDY, ya'll. Candy. Big whoop. The serious tone some of you have taken does make me chuckle though.

Do you know that cruise lines employ a large percentage of Muslims to crew their ships? They do indeed and unless you plan to purchase candy at a store in the U.S. that specializes in middle eastern sweets the Muslim crew members won't eat your well intended treats of American candy. For example Muslims won't eat gummi bears made in America. Do you know why? Gummi type candy is made of gelatin which is derived from dissolved animal cartilage which is against their faith to consume. To many people their religious faith and its customs is a Big whoop, as you call it.

Would you accept candy from a stranger? Why would a cabin steward?

I KNOW this isn't EVERY employee on a ship ... but on The Cruise (tv show ... Princess ship(s)) a GS employee would get candy bars from passengers and he LOVED them. Did he say it for the camera? Maybe .... did he really love the candy bars? Looked like as he ate it and said how much he and the other crew love getting gifts and candy from passengers.

Just pointing out ... it usually isn't always/never.

As this is in ADDITION to cash tip ... if the person doesn't like it ... he/she can give it away ... use it to barter with co-workers, etc.

I think you all need to relax, the OP is just looking for some information on another tread someone else started a little while back and smthey also said they will be giving the room service attendant a monetary tip as well. There are to many people on Cruise critic who think they are all high and mighty. Everyone has a right to do what they want as far as giving a goodie bag or not. A few pieces of candy in the baggie with your tip is not a bad thing. Or giving a new magazine for the the crew to look at it's not a bad idea. I wouldn't go as far as giving them souvenirs they don't have room for that and their cabins but to each their own.

bfa32d08742bc0c2fb25dd8b552d9c10.png

I remember the exact thread you're talking about and actually was just thinking about it the other day as we're about to go on a cruise too.

I think this thread has gotten a little out of control. The OP never said they weren't going to tip cash! These little goodies are in addition to cash tips!

And yes, other service industry people do get and like these types of things. I used to be a flight attendant and my crew LOVED it when kind passengers brought a goodie bad filled with candy and other things as a thank you.

No one thinks the crew will keep your trinket and cherish it forever. It's about putting a smile on someone's face for a moment. It's about the excitement that this is different, of the surprise of what's inside, the thought that someone took some extra care and planning to give you something.

No one is saying they won't tip cash, sometimes surprises in excess of the cash is nice.

More than likely any gift you give them they will think, "Wish they just gave me the cash instead". That being said, I love candy so I would enjoy getting a candy bar or bag of whatever candy if I was working as a room steward. Just don't overdo it. One bag of something is ok, buying multiple candy bars and some boxes of this or that, then I would be thinking my initial thought. Wish they just gave me the $10 this cost.

If you want to do something nice for the staff that you come in contact with, ask them if you can pick up something for them when you get off in the ports. Sometimes they have little or no time to go grab something and this can be very much appreciated.

I also keep my room tidy, so my room steward doesn't have to work around a lot of stuff laying everywhere. In other words, be that courteous person. That and a tip ($$) goes a long way.

I don't do it, but if I was to buy candy, I would buy a big bag that they could share with their fellow staff.

Although I agree with all of the previous posts, we still like to bring a small bag of goodies to our room steward. We will usually bring things like a new toothbrush and paste, disposable razors and shaving cream, eye drops, chapstick, some shoe inserts to help their tired feet and some local goodies. I agree that cash is King but everybody likes a little gift now and then:cool:

E@zy Pe@zy, what a great idea I never thought of asking if I can pick something up. But I certainly will next time as we Cruise again in September. These small little gift items saves them from having to pay inflated prices on the ship. Everybody likes beaver nuggets from Buc-ee's am I right

Although I agree with all of the previous posts' date=' we still like to bring a small bag of goodies to our room steward. We will usually bring things like a new toothbrush and paste, disposable razors and shaving cream, eye drops, chapstick, some shoe inserts to help their tired feet and some local goodies. I agree that cash is King but everybody likes a little gift now and then:cool:[/quote']

OMG! Hello, nice to meet you. Here, have a toothbrush. How downright insulting.

Although I agree with all of the previous posts' date=' we still like to bring a small bag of goodies to our room steward. We will usually bring things like a new toothbrush and paste, disposable razors and shaving cream, eye drops, chapstick, some shoe inserts to help their tired feet and some local goodies. I agree that cash is King but everybody likes a little gift now and then:cool:[/quote']

That's the kind of crap you give to your teenage son that doesn't have a job. Way to insult a grown adult.

Next time you do a back 2 back - on the 1st day of your initial cruise try giving your cabin steward one of your goodie bags. Then on the last evening of your 2nd leg, ask him/her to retrieve the items to show you.

Bet you everything has been disposed of :eek:

Most times reality just doesn’t match people’s conception.

Next time you do a back 2 back - on the 1st day of your initial cruise try giving your cabin steward one of your goodie bags. Then on the last evening of your 2nd leg, ask him/her to retrieve the items to show you.

Bet you everything has been disposed of :eek:

Most times reality just doesn’t match people’s conception.

I wonder how c4fun would feel if their next performance review came with a grooming and toiletry kit instead of a raise :')

I would not give an adult person working for tips a trinket or candy, that is ridiculous and insulting. Their not children in a refugee camp! Give them cash and a good comment to their boss
If you read her posts you would have seen she is giving $$, the "goodie" bag be it candy or toiletries like the OP said would extra. Geez

If you read her posts you would have seen she is giving $$, the "goodie" bag be it candy or toiletries like the OP said would extra. Geez

Ask yourself this on the "extra"...which do you think the room steward would appreciate more: $2 and a candy bar or $3?

Don't you just love people who jump in 3 or 4 pages in and spout about nothing at all.

I'm sure I'm guilty of it to in the past ... but just saying, too funny here with all the GIVE $$ people.

Don't you just love people who jump in 3 or 4 pages in and spout about nothing at all.

I'm sure I'm guilty of it to in the past ... but just saying, too funny here with all the GIVE $$ people.

It frustrates me I don't know why, I guess people think they are above others. Idk I think if your going to comment you should at least read what's going on.