Teen worried about Bliss

We are booked on the Bliss for this November. It will be myself, DH and our DS(14). This will be our sons 15th cruise so he knows what he likes and doesn’t like. While my DH and I are looking forward to the Bliss because she looks amazing, our son just doesn’t feel the same. He is very very active. He is mostly upset that there is no basketball court and that the go karts look slow and won’t be that much fun. Now after hearing it will cost $9.95 per ride I’m hoping that he won’t go on them too often.

Is anyone else in the same situation or have the same concerns?

I can’t wait to start hearing from people who are cruising this summer with teens and their experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome to that age....it is what it is...tell him to get his attitude right or find a friend to stay with for the week...he’ll come back around in 7-8 years.

This^^^. I was lucky enough to cruise on my grandma’s dime as a teen. We went many, many places-the Caribbean, Europe, Alaska...there were a few years I sat out, as I wanted to be with my friends. I know my family would rather I not go then be moping around “bored”. No, there isn’t a basketball court, but there are tons of other fun things to do including laser tag, water slides, shore excursions that are active, etc. If the lack of a basketball court is a source of big disappointment to him, maybe he should stay with other family or a friend for the week and play basketball on land. Believe me, in 30 years he’ll look back and regret it!

Welcome to that age....it is what it is...tell him to get his attitude right or find a friend to stay with for the week...he’ll come back around in 7-8 years.

I certainly didn’t say that my son had an attitude. I just said he was concerned because of no basketball court or other activities that will keep him busy. He also thinks $9.95 for the go karts is ridiculous.

A bored 14 year old ... welcome to the teens! He also might be burned out on cruising. At 14, kids don’t appreciate the joy of doing nothing.

That was really all I was trying to say...I know, my Son is Now 25. :)

We are booked on the Bliss for this November. It will be myself, DH and our DS(14). This will be our sons 15th cruise so he knows what he likes and doesn’t like. While my DH and I are looking forward to the Bliss because she looks amazing, our son just doesn’t feel the same. He is very very active. He is mostly upset that there is no basketball court and that the go karts look slow and won’t be that much fun. Now after hearing it will cost $9.95 per ride I’m hoping that he won’t go on them too often.

Is anyone else in the same situation or have the same concerns?

I can’t wait to start hearing from people who are cruising this summer with teens and their experiences.

My son has some of the same concerns. The sports court was a great way to get exercise. He likes to keep fit - no sports court and cannot use the gym as he is only 15.

He will just have to keep running up the stairs at the water slide .

It is a bit of a shame that there is now no place or activity to get some fitness on the ship for teens.

My son has some of the same concerns. The sports court was a great way to get exercise. He likes to keep fit - no sports court and cannot use the gym as he is only 15.

He will just have to keep running up the stairs at the water slide .

It is a bit of a shame that there is now no place or activity to get some fitness on the ship for teens.

I made this same comment on the go cart thread...I’m 54 and enjoy the sports courts, etc myself...

Posters can be so rude. The first reply you received was ridiculous. I think your son sounds like a discerning cruiser. I think he will still have fun but I have to agree that a basketball court would be better than a go-kart course. The basketball court can be used for other games or activities for teens. It would be an area used to keep teens busy for longer than 15 minutes once that week for a go-kart ride. I have a well traveled teen as well and go-karts wouldn't be that exciting to her either. Grab the teen activities sheet on the first day to see what else they will offer them.

Honestly I can see his concern. On our Gem cruise last year, ds15 spent a lot of time at the sports court (he plays soccer and basketball on teams at home). He would go to the teen club with his sisters, but most of his socializing was at the sports deck. Ds20 was there a lot, too.

Good answer

The Bliss is the newest and one of the biggest cruise ships in the world. How could anyone complain there is nothing to do especially with such amazing things for kids.... the insane water slides, laser tag, go carts, etc.

LMAO. You nailed it right on the head. Its the rebellion phase projecting on to the family vacation :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You realize that most kids in the world will never have the luxury to take anywhere near a vacation like this. If you are cruising for a basketball court then perhaps a basketball summer camp is the better vacation option.

No one is being rude. We just understand the rebellion phase. If its really a shame then cancel the cruise and book another ship with basketball courts. Problem solved.

This is the perfect example of first world problems ;)

I call it first world problems.

If the Bliss is not the right ship for you, look for another one.

In my opinion the Bliss is not the first choice for Alaska.

A 7 day cruise from and to Seattle is not the same like all the other cruises between Vancouver/Seattle and Seaward.

Posters can be so rude. The first reply you received was ridiculous. I think your son sounds like a discerning cruiser. I think he will still have fun but I have to agree that a basketball court would be better than a go-kart course. The basketball court can be used for other games or activities for teens. It would be an area used to keep teens busy for longer than 15 minutes once that week for a go-kart ride. I have a well traveled teen as well and go-karts wouldn't be that exciting to her either. Grab the teen activities sheet on the first day to see what else they will offer them.

I know I asked for advice but I feel this turned into a bashing of my son.

If i was your son i would feel the same, i would prefer the sports deck from the other away ships over the bliss go karts. i think such a big space on a cruise ship for go karts is a dumb idear. But NCL can do what they want.

People think the waterslides and go karts will entertain for hours...ugh no. Its a gimmick. It is minutes of entertainment at best. The ratio of space used vs time spent is not worth it.

The rudeness of people is abundant on this board. Or how some posters feel the need to be comedians. It annoys me.

I think they will have other activities that are hopefully active for him. He sounds like a smart kid who will find entertainment.

No one is bashing your son. He is a child. We are saying we understand why he is acting this way. Because there is no reason imaginable a child could be bored on the world's most advanced cruise ship. The only advice someone could offer is cave to your child's demands and cancel the cruise and book another with a basketball court. You seem to be catering to him so much that I can see why he would act out like this. Also after 15 cruises perhaps your son is burned out of cruising and wants to vacation somewhere else?

Growing up my family never took vacations. Never. So to me this is a thread that takes child psychology to understand. You are the parent. If you take a vacation with only your son's interests then you should cancel the cruise immediately. Even for the most active people ever, there are very active excursions that involve biking, swimming, and hiking.

Please don't turn the tables on us. You started the thread and asked for advice. We have been respectful, understanding and also doing what you asked...….give advice. If you are not happy with the advice, sorry.

Your son will be rebelling against you in so many other areas during the next few years. Its part of growing up. To challenge authority, to not go with the flow, to seek attention, etc. Buckle up ;)

Edited by david_sobe

It's the age, if you truly feel it will be "worrrisome" book a different ship and perhaps at a later date you and hubbie could cruise alone on the Bliss. My grandson is 17 and my daughter plans vacations around what will keep him interested, nothing worse then a bored teen on vacation. She is now in countdown mode where she and her husband can vacation alone lol

No one is bashing your son. He is a child. We are saying we understand why he is acting this way. Because there is no reason imaginable a child could be bored on the world's most advanced cruise ship. The only advice someone could offer is cave to your child's demands and cancel the cruise and book another with a basketball court. You seem to be catering to him so much that I can see why he would act out like this.

Growing up my family never took vacations. Never. So to me this is a thread that takes child psychology to understand. You are the parent. If you take a vacation with only your son's interests then you should cancel the cruise immediately. Even for the most active people ever, there are very active excursions that involve biking, swimming, and hiking.

Please don't turn the tables on us. You started the thread and asked for advice. We have been respectful, understanding and also doing what you asked...….give advice. If you are not happy with the advice, sorry.

Your son will be rebelling against you in so many other areas during the next few years. Its part of growing up. To challenge authority, to not go with the flow, to seek attention, etc. Buckle up ;)

This doesn’t sound like rebelling (which I do remember doing, fortunately none of my kids have, the youngest are 15). When my oldest was 14, I remember she was concerned about meeting other teens and having fun (Jewel, her second cruise). Fortunately, she had a blast. However, my youngest was 10 when we went on the Breakaway, and was a little bored, he didn’t enjoy the kids club, dd10 and dd12 didn’t either, but they are bff’s, and hung out together. The older siblings loved the teen club and met a lot of new friends.

I don’t think the OP is catering, if only 3 people are going on a vacation, I think it should be fairly easy to find something that everyone is looking forward to. However, I think if the OP is sailing over Thanksgiving, there should be plenty of kids onboard.

I can understand the mindset of a 14 year old who has been on 15 cruises LOL

Cruising is maybe not as big deal as to others like me and my kids who cruise once or twice every few years. If my parents took me on cruises several times a year, I probably would be picky too. My kids would never complain about going on a cruise. That is for sure :cool:

We are going on July 15th, I have two teen boys, 16 and 15. I will give you their perspective after we sail if you'd like. This is their first cruise though, so they don't know any different.

Just got off of the Bliss yesterday. Your son may be interested to know that adult men think that the ride is a blast. The maximum speed is 35 mph but one cannot really take the hairpin turns at that speed. This isn't like something at a kiddie park - it is fun and challenging as you are racing and people are trying to pass you. Really think that he could enjoy it so much that you'll end up paying for him to do it more than once.

While we did not check out the paint-ball, it could be another fun thing to do.

OP, if you are thinking about the go-karts & laser tag, keep in mind they cost and you can run up a big bill in a hurry. (from others' posts, I don't know yet myself). Not judging, just part of your decision-making.

No one is bashing your son. He is a child. We are saying we understand why he is acting this way. Because there is no reason imaginable a child could be bored on the world's most advanced cruise ship. The only advice someone could offer is cave to your child's demands and cancel the cruise and book another with a basketball court. You seem to be catering to him so much that I can see why he would act out like this. Also after 15 cruises perhaps your son is burned out of cruising and wants to vacation somewhere else?

Wow. That’s one of the rudest, snarkiest, disrespectful posts I’ve seen on cruise critic. The winky face doesn’t soften it.

I didn’t mean to sound like bashing at all, most every kid I have ever know goes through phases like this...just trying to be honest, obviously others have had the same experience....I meant nothing personal, please accept my apology if I offended...