Independence - May 20-28, 2018 Fresh Outta Refurb, Straight Into the Fjords

Great review, I am really enjoying your writing style. A couple of observations:

1) How could someone already be so upset at the muster drill? I can't imagine what he was like by day 6.

2) In the previous post, the third part of you sounds good to me :) .

mac_tlc

Great review, I am really enjoying your writing style. A couple of observations:

1) How could someone already be so upset at the muster drill? I can't imagine what he was like by day 6.

2) In the previous post, the third part of you sounds good to me :) .

mac_tlc

1. Exactly!

2. My body agrees with you!

On another note, I totally forgot about the Captain's awesome moment. As we are pulling out of Geiranger, he got to the Seven Sisters Falls and the Suitor Falls (across from the sisters) and he stopped.

That was nice. He stopped and people could get insanely good photos. That was kind of him.

THEN I said to my wife (we were starboard and on the sisters side) "hey, I think we're turning!" and sure enough, we were! He did a full 360 in the fjord! Everyone looking outside got the most beautiful view of the entire fjord. A FULL 360!!!!

On another note, I totally forgot about the Captain's awesome moment. As we are pulling out of Geiranger, he got to the Seven Sisters Falls and the Suitor Falls (across from the sisters) and he stopped.

That was nice. He stopped and people could get insanely good photos. That was kind of him.

THEN I said to my wife (we were starboard and on the sisters side) "hey, I think we're turning!" and sure enough, we were! He did a full 360 in the fjord! Everyone looking outside got the most beautiful view of the entire fjord. A FULL 360!!!!

Cool :cool:

Nice review. We will be on Indy (first time) out of Southampton in October for 5 days.

Thanks for a great review of a great trip. Your Pulpit Rock story makes me glad we opted to just walk and shop a bit in Stavanger. I have more than a few years on you and knees that went bad before you were born so I never would have made the first level.

Oh, the captain did announce he would do the 360 by the falls on the way out. It was hard to believe he could turn a 1112 foot ship around in that space. Even the crew was out of deck 12 to watch.

We had a captain who did that for us between the Pitons of St. Lucia when we were on Serenade.

Great review. Any pictures of the Windjammer? I'd like seeing how it looks now.

We had a captain who did that for us between the Pitons of St. Lucia when we were on Serenade.

Great review. Any pictures of the Windjammer? I'd like seeing how it looks now.

I don't. I'm downloading all my wife's photos this weekend and I'll see if she took one.

I can tell you a few more details:

The entrance has been re-done with upgraded tiles that look really nice. They added a bank of sinks on each side and they are the same sinks they are putting in the new Oasis-class ships. There were probably 8-10 on each side. Touchless with paper towels above each sink.

They still had the hand sanitizer stations, but were RIGHTLY pushing the hand washing.

The stations on each side looked upgraded. Everything was shiny and bright. The entire WJ had been retiled in a much more modern look. I think they were brown/grey tiles? Very muted and sophisticated was the feeling when we entered.

There were some tables that we obviously brand new. They've removed most of the bar stool seating that seems like it is the least used. There were a lot of mix/match tables, though. I thought that was weird. You could see some tables were VERY old. The chairs are all new or recovered. They were brighter colors, but not so bright they looked tacky.

As you enter, Giovani's is on the left and Chops is on the right. They were still using pushcarts that had JADE written in marker on them. I noticed that. My wife said all the curtains were new. I didn't notice.

More thoughts:

The entire trip the overflow for the Diamond Lounge was open and actively being used. Twice we had people (fellow cruisers) tell us the DL was just for Diamond cruisers. We nodded. My wife and I both look fairly young, but seriously we don't need amateur enforcers for the DL. They checked our cards at the door. The service was good, if a bit more sparse than on Oasis-class ships which are our only other DL cruises so far. The view was super cool, though. Much nicer than the windowless bowels of the ship. Loved our time up here.

In a similar vein, the WJ was packed one morning for breakfast and we decided to head to Giovanni's for Diamond seating. Now, we almost always get a fresh omelet, so walking all the way back just for some seating is typically too much trouble. But I walked in, nodded at the host, and went to sit down. A man started waving at me and said "Young man! Young man!" which I'm not really that young, so I didn't even glance up because I didn't picture him talking to me, but his waving catches my eye and I see WHOA he is talking to me. He says "Young man, you cannot just walk in here and eat." To which I just looked at him and said "Yes, I can." and turned away. I sat down and he didn't continue. Then my wife walks in and she's legit 9 years younger than me and if I look younger than my age, then she SUPER looks younger than hers. He's like "MISS!" and I look at him and say "Hey, back off. There is a host at the front door. She'll handle it." I apparently said it loud enough that she heard because she popped around the barrier and said "They are fine, sir." and he dropped it.

The bizarre part is there were MAX 10 people in the entire room. We're diamond, so we're allowed, but if we weren't we weren't putting a single person out. Slow your roll, old geezer!

Izumi looked nice, but we didn't eat there. Fish & Ships has been installed on the pool deck, but we didn't eat there. We'd just spent a few days in London, so we didn't need more English food. It was nice looking.

The Promenade was very clean and there appeared to be a new bridge or we hadn't noticed it before. Someone else mentioned it in this thread, but we saw it as well.

The new library was quite nice. We went in there a couple of times.

The spa is much smaller now than we remembered.

We missed the welcome back party because the Stevanger torture. We also missed the Quest somehow. However, I think the temperament of the crowd probably made for a boring Quest.

We thought the comic was a dud. He was super boring and dry.

The ice show was good. The wife loves those. A lady next to us said every show was packed. We barely snuck in and snagged 2 seats way on the far end. She said we were lucky as she had stood for another show. I'm not sure it was good enough to watch multiple times.

We went to Grease, but the house was full. Thankfully, I got out of that one.

Love & Marriage show we missed, but caught on the TV. It didn't seem to have any energy.

The bed was very nice. Not overly hard and not miserably soft. We used the balcony to watch the arrivals to port and departures. It was too cold some days. The very long sunshine hours made it a bit rough to sleep some days, but we fought through it!!!! HEHEHEHE

"The ice show was good. The wife loves those. A lady next to us said every show was packed. We barely snuck in and snagged 2 seats way on the far end. She said we were lucky as she had stood for another show. I'm not sure it was good enough to watch multiple times."

We did the same thing with the ice show for their first show and were happy with it but during the sail away from Geiranger we met the violinst and my wife and my cousin's wife struck up a friendship with her, invited her to join us for dinner and she in turn wangled some great seats for us for the second show so we went again and it was pretty cool seeing it all from the front row. My photo book is almost done and once it is proofed and ready I will follow your lead and try my hand at writing a review and hope it is half as informative and entertaining as yours. I will include a link to the pictures. I have never figured out how to post them here....Thanks again for the review and the great memories.

More thoughts:

The entire trip the overflow for the Diamond Lounge was open and actively being used. Twice we had people (fellow cruisers) tell us the DL was just for Diamond cruisers. We nodded. My wife and I both look fairly young, but seriously we don't need amateur enforcers for the DL. They checked our cards at the door. The service was good, if a bit more sparse than on Oasis-class ships which are our only other DL cruises so far. The view was super cool, though. Much nicer than the windowless bowels of the ship. Loved our time up here.

In a similar vein, the WJ was packed one morning for breakfast and we decided to head to Giovanni's for Diamond seating. Now, we almost always get a fresh omelet, so walking all the way back just for some seating is typically too much trouble. But I walked in, nodded at the host, and went to sit down. A man started waving at me and said "Young man! Young man!" which I'm not really that young, so I didn't even glance up because I didn't picture him talking to me, but his waving catches my eye and I see WHOA he is talking to me. He says "Young man, you cannot just walk in here and eat." To which I just looked at him and said "Yes, I can." and turned away. I sat down and he didn't continue. Then my wife walks in and she's legit 9 years younger than me and if I look younger than my age, then she SUPER looks younger than hers. He's like "MISS!" and I look at him and say "Hey, back off. There is a host at the front door. She'll handle it." I apparently said it loud enough that she heard because she popped around the barrier and said "They are fine, sir." and he dropped it.

The bizarre part is there were MAX 10 people in the entire room. We're diamond, so we're allowed, but if we weren't we weren't putting a single person out. Slow your roll, old geezer!

Izumi looked nice, but we didn't eat there. Fish & Ships has been installed on the pool deck, but we didn't eat there. We'd just spent a few days in London, so we didn't need more English food. It was nice looking.

The Promenade was very clean and there appeared to be a new bridge or we hadn't noticed it before. Someone else mentioned it in this thread, but we saw it as well.

The new library was quite nice. We went in there a couple of times.

The spa is much smaller now than we remembered.

We missed the welcome back party because the Stevanger torture. We also missed the Quest somehow. However, I think the temperament of the crowd probably made for a boring Quest.

We thought the comic was a dud. He was super boring and dry.

The ice show was good. The wife loves those. A lady next to us said every show was packed. We barely snuck in and snagged 2 seats way on the far end. She said we were lucky as she had stood for another show. I'm not sure it was good enough to watch multiple times.

We went to Grease, but the house was full. Thankfully, I got out of that one.

Love & Marriage show we missed, but caught on the TV. It didn't seem to have any energy.

The bed was very nice. Not overly hard and not miserably soft. We used the balcony to watch the arrivals to port and departures. It was too cold some days. The very long sunshine hours made it a bit rough to sleep some days, but we fought through it!!!! HEHEHEHE

I thought that Giovanni’s table for breakfast and lunch was only for suite and pinnacle

I thought that Giovanni’s table for breakfast and lunch was only for suite and pinnacle

That sign was on the other side at Chop's. The Giovanni's side had the diamond sign. It was the only day we looked, so????

I showed my card to the hostess and she waved me in.

"The ice show was good. The wife loves those. A lady next to us said every show was packed. We barely snuck in and snagged 2 seats way on the far end. She said we were lucky as she had stood for another show. I'm not sure it was good enough to watch multiple times."

We did the same thing with the ice show for their first show and were happy with it but during the sail away from Geiranger we met the violinst and my wife and my cousin's wife struck up a friendship with her, invited her to join us for dinner and she in turn wangled some great seats for us for the second show so we went again and it was pretty cool seeing it all from the front row. My photo book is almost done and once it is proofed and ready I will follow your lead and try my hand at writing a review and hope it is half as informative and entertaining as yours. I will include a link to the pictures. I have never figured out how to post them here....Thanks again for the review and the great memories.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll be excited to see yours! That's really cool about the violinist.

That sign was on the other side at Chop's. The Giovanni's side had the diamond sign. It was the only day we looked, so????

I showed my card to the hostess and she waved me in.

Chops actually served breakfast, no need to haul your omelet all the way back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words. I'll be excited to see yours! That's really cool about the violinist.

The violinist was a very nice lady. She joined us for dinner that night, kudos to the matri'd who helped re-arrange our seating and she made it a point to stop by and say hello/goodbye on our last day. We also gave her some of the pictures I had made so that was a hit with her.

I finished my photo book last night, here is the link if you are interested.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/7641745/060951baaa90432f6df7c58700c9968171c6ef41

Thanks again for helping us relive a great trip, even if our toilets did not work right too many times.

The violinist was a very nice lady. She joined us for dinner that night, kudos to the matri'd who helped re-arrange our seating and she made it a point to stop by and say hello/goodbye on our last day. We also gave her some of the pictures I had made so that was a hit with her.

I finished my photo book last night, here is the link if you are interested.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/7641745/060951baaa90432f6df7c58700c9968171c6ef41

Thanks again for helping us relive a great trip, even if our toilets did not work right too many times.

Excellent photographs, do you mind if I ask what equipment you used?

Jenny, we are sorry you missed the cruise too but the bright side is Lawrence is fine and you had the trip insured so there is always another time. Been there and done that myself and I am just thankful I had a good outcome and can still get out and travel.

Redrobo, Canon 5D Mark III with 3 different lenses. 16-35 F 2.8, 24-105 F4 IS (used the most) and 70-200 2.8 Mark II IS.

Yes that’s so true. Always another day, so looking at your photos is next best thing ...lol we’ve booked a cruise to the Baltic’s in August not with RCI but sure it will be good, take care you never know one of these days or paths might cross again ... ......

Wonderful review and your photobook is fantastic! We did a Norway cruise in 2017 with a different Itinerary but did Geiranger and Alesund also. Really loved all parts of the cruise.

A comment on Alesund for any future cruisers. You can catch the City Bus out to Sunmore Outdoor Museum. Really worth the trip. Easy to get to and the bus drivers are very nice and spoke great English. We also took the city bus up to the Viewpoint. Turns out the bus gets you to just under a mile then you have to walk in. But we did it and it was an easy walk. The viewpoint, for us, was stunning. We then walked down the 400+ stairs. Walking down was fine. We're both mid-60's and in average shape. But not being a fan of ship tours, we really enjoyed doing it ourselves. I would do the train up to the viewpoint though.

Is there now a Suite Lounge on Deck 14 on this ship or does she still have the Concierge Lounge, please?

Concierge Lounge is gone. Suite and Diamond lounges on deck 14.

Beautiful pictures. We are looking to do a fjords cruise. However, we cannot get away for two weeks so wondering what stops you recommend the most.

Thanks!

Our cruise was just 8 nights. Of the 5 stops Geiranger and Flam were the best since they were both all the way at the end of a fjord. The cities, Molde, Alesund and Stavenger were all nice but the weather in Molde and Alesund was not great so I don't have a great impression of those two towns. If you were just looking for 4 stops in Norway to keep it to a 7 night trip I would say skip Molde but it is all weather dependent and personal preferences. We chose this cruise because it offered 5 ports in Norway, otherwise we would have gone with the Celebrity out of Dublin where it was one stop in Ireland and 3 in Norway. If you had to choose between Geiranger and Flam, it is a toss up. Both are beautiful but a bit different. Geiranger has the Seven Sisters and The Suitor waterfalls as you sail in and out while Flam has the train up into the mountains where you see a lot of waterfalls too including two stops at a huge waterfall.