Royal Oasis excursions-AVOID

Still sailing on the Oasis, which is a wonderful ship. A word of warning regarding their excursions however-WORST EVER (in my 25 years of cruising)-really not kidding.

Monday-we went on the Blue Lagoon excursion (our third time-once on Carnival and other on the Royal Enchantment smaller ship). Check-in/arrival time was for 8:15 AM. There were literally 500 to 600 Oasis people in line for the Blue Lagoon excursion out on the dock. Two ladies were collecting tickets and just making all 500 to 600 of us stand there. The Blue Lagoon ferries did not arrive until 9:30 AM. They had three ships arriving at once, but did not have enough seats for all of the people. People kept telling the staff that there were no seats left, however they just kept piling people on, standing room only. We finally arrived at the island at 10 AM. They told us that we had to be on the 12:30-1 PM return ferry, leaving only 2 1/2 to 3 hours on the island. Again not enough seats, so we had to stand the entire ride home. The bounce-water-trampoline park is now literally right next to the the ferry dock, which made us worried about all of the diesel fuel/boat fumes right next to the kids swimming area. They obviously did not have anywhere near enough beach loungers available, and many people had to sit on the sand. I take back my previous good reviews of Blue Lagoon-DO NOT GO.

Wednesday-we were scheduled to take the Royal excursion Fast Cat snorkel and beach getaway. Our kids and us somehow kept getting pushed to the back of the extremely long line. When we went to board, there were so many people crammed into the catamaran that there were no seats left. I approached the person with our tickets and told him that we wanted our tickets back. He raised his voice and told me "we are licensed by the Coast guard for 130 people and we have 124 people on the boat so get on the boat". When I pointed out the him the lack of seating, he started pointing to the back of the boat and told me to ask the two men seated to get closer together so that my 6-year old daughter could sit between them. He then started pointing out other people in different parts of the ship to move closer to give me an end corner to hang off of. I told him that I needed to sit with my 6-year old. He said "they have never given refunds on all of the other times, and you will never get a refund". Then he told the boat to take off and left us on the dock.

SHAME ON YOU Royal Caribbean excursions. I have been on over 10 cruises, and am although used to crowds (especially on the ship's excursions), have NEVER experienced crowding or indifferent treatment this poor. Too bad

You need to let them know. In my opinion and experience, posting it here does very little except to tell CC members. If you want RCI to sit up and take notice, e-mail them, snail mail them, tell them on the post-cruise survey, and post it on their Facebook page.

Still sailing on the Oasis, which is a wonderful ship. A word of warning regarding their excursions however-WORST EVER (in my 25 years of cruising)-really not kidding.

Monday-we went on the Blue Lagoon excursion (our third time-once on Carnival and other on the Royal Enchantment smaller ship). Check-in/arrival time was for 8:15 AM. There were literally 500 to 600 Oasis people in line for the Blue Lagoon excursion out on the dock. Two ladies were collecting tickets and just making all 500 to 600 of us stand there. The Blue Lagoon ferries did not arrive until 9:30 AM. They had three ships arriving at once, but did not have enough seats for all of the people. People kept telling the staff that there were no seats left, however they just kept piling people on, standing room only. We finally arrived at the island at 10 AM. They told us that we had to be on the 12:30-1 PM return ferry, leaving only 2 1/2 to 3 hours on the island. Again not enough seats, so we had to stand the entire ride home. The bounce-water-trampoline park is now literally right next to the the ferry dock, which made us worried about all of the diesel fuel/boat fumes right next to the kids swimming area. They obviously did not have anywhere near enough beach loungers available, and many people had to sit on the sand. I take back my previous good reviews of Blue Lagoon-DO NOT GO.

Wednesday-we were scheduled to take the Royal excursion Fast Cat snorkel and beach getaway. Our kids and us somehow kept getting pushed to the back of the extremely long line. When we went to board, there were so many people crammed into the catamaran that there were no seats left. I approached the person with our tickets and told him that we wanted our tickets back. He raised his voice and told me "we are licensed by the Coast guard for 130 people and we have 124 people on the boat so get on the boat". When I pointed out the him the lack of seating, he started pointing to the back of the boat and told me to ask the two men seated to get closer together so that my 6-year old daughter could sit between them. He then started pointing out other people in different parts of the ship to move closer to give me an end corner to hang off of. I told him that I needed to sit with my 6-year old. He said "they have never given refunds on all of the other times, and you will never get a refund". Then he told the boat to take off and left us on the dock.

SHAME ON YOU Royal Caribbean excursions. I have been on over 10 cruises, and am although used to crowds (especially on the ship's excursions), have NEVER experienced crowding or indifferent treatment this poor. Too bad

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience with the Blue lagoon excursion. I hope you have talked to Shore Excursions onboard and written to Royal about your experience.

We were there in April, did the Blue Lagoon excursion via Royal and had a great experience. Nassau was not on our itinerary, but was added in due to missing another port. Royal did a great job planning and coordinating excursions at the last minute.

At the island itself, we had a great time.

About the fast cat, was this in St Thomas? We did that one and I felt it was "meh". The boat was crowded, yes, but with a little cooperation from everybody, everyone on board had a decent place to sit. Could have been better? sure! But your experience is not accpetable...... I hope you went straight to shore excursions and related this.

Keep us posted if you hear from Royal.

Why did you book an excursion through the cruise line to begin with?

That is a total "Rookie Move" on your part..

I beg to differ about the "rookie move". Seasoned cruisers also at times go with cruise line shore excursions for many reasons, one of them being to burn the non refundable OBC.......Rookie Move ? I don't think so!:D

Did you talk to guest services about this? What did they say?

The Shore Excursion services manager initially informed that he was called by the fast cat person (St Thomas) and went out to the dock and looked at the boat-and did not understand as he saw many empty seats. After I calmed down, I told the excursions manager that that was impossible as the catamaran was sailing away with us on the dock as the very rude fast cat person was placing the call. At no time did we see a Royal shore excursion representative down on the dock. We also had many pictures of the jam-packed boat with no places to sit. They did refund me my cruise excursion $, but still a ruined day.

FYI-we usually do not book via the cruise line, however traveling with other family members who will only book via the cruise line (worried re missing the boat, etc).

The Oasis is a wonderful ship by the way. We are really enjoying the ship. Just be very careful booking excursions via the ship as you will probably end up with a larger than usual "cattle-call" situation. We were able to find a last-minute, private excursion in St. Martin though, so looking forward to tomorrow.

Your first mistake was taking a cruiseline sponsored excursion. Folks, you must understand, unless you're on a private island, there are always better options available...

You shouldn't bash the OP for her choice. She mentioned why she did it. However, there are times that you cannot avoid the ship excursion. For example, we have been to San Juan PR before and took a private Segway tour. When our ship visited there, we wanted to do it again because the first time the weather was lousy. Needless to say, the tour operator was contracted with RCCL and there was no way to book them without going through RCCL. Had we not been on the ship, we could have booked a different time with the same company but they couldn't offer it because of their contract. I tried every which way but just couldn't book it. There are other times that a particular special tour is available only through the cruise line such as when you are on a charter. If you want to be included on that particular tour, you must go through the cruise line. We book private tours all the time but there are times I have booked through the cruise ship.

You shouldn't bash the OP for her choice. She mentioned why she did it. However, there are times that you cannot avoid the ship excursion. For example, we have been to San Juan PR before and took a private Segway tour. When our ship visited there, we wanted to do it again because the first time the weather was lousy. Needless to say, the tour operator was contracted with RCCL and there was no way to book them without going through RCCL. Had we not been on the ship, we could have booked a different time with the same company but they couldn't offer it because of their contract. I tried every which way but just couldn't book it. There are other times that a particular special tour is available only through the cruise line such as when you are on a charter. If you want to be included on that particular tour, you must go through the cruise line. We book private tours all the time but there are times I have booked through the cruise ship.

I completely understand...but I'd just settle for a different tour. I have a feeling the OP will take the alternative route in the future, should this situation arise again.

Why did you book an excursion through the cruise line to begin with?

That is a total "Rookie Move" on your part..

That is an unfair statement. There are many reasons one might want to book with the cruise line. I have completed 33 cruises, I am D+ on Royal Caribbean. I continue to book mostly ship excursions and some independent excursions.

Your first mistake was taking a cruiseline sponsored excursion. Folks, you must understand, unless you're on a private island, there are always better options available...

That is your opinion. Not everybody will agree with you.

This entire website is nothing but opinions. ;)

I didn't say there was anything wrong with your opinion, just that not everyone will agree with your opinion. I for one don't agree with you. I've been on 33 cruises. I am D+ with Royal Caribbean. However, most (not all) of my excursions are ship excursions. There are some very good reasons to take ship excursions and I have never experienced the problems the OP mentioned.

I have an Oasis OTS cruise coming up later this year. I will book one ship excursion, one independent excursion and the other port stop is a private island.

I have learnt a lot of lessons after thirty years of cruising and many ship organised excursions.

Some excursions are a waste of money and you would be better off doing the same activity yourself. It would be cheaper and less stressful. You learn this the hard way and with each bitter experience you tend to get smarter in your choices.

While I agree that cruise lines should take more responsibility in making sure that excursions they organise are well managed and properly run, sadly this is not usually the case. I have come to accept this so again I am a little cautious and manage my expectations. I take the choose wisely approach.

Now that doesn't mean that RC is any worse than other cruise lines when it comes to running excursions. I have been on many that were well run and on balance offered more convenience and reassurance than organising something myself. It depends on the port, the tour you choose and so many other factors.

How upsetting...I’m sorry you had such bad experiences and sorry to hear about the deterioration at Blue Lagoon. We went there on a ship excursion on the Allure a few years ago and it was perfection! Too bad they’ve let the quality of their product drop like that...

Good for you for standing your ground with that catamaran guy. It’s ridiculous to expect you to walk around begging people to let you squeeze in, and even more ridiculous to expect you to not sit next to your six year old...I’m glad that Royal came through and reimbursed you.

We did a great catamaran ship excursion in St. Maartin called The Golden Eagle or something like that. It was one of the best excursions we’ve ever done and still something we talk about today.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RC needs to do a much better job in the descriptions of their excursions. Unless you're a cruise veteran, you may not realize that some catamarans hold over 100 people. If I see that on a description, I would look elsewhere for a smaller, private catamaran excursion. We did one in St. Thomas that had less than 30 people. The ferry ride to Blue Lagoon is not a short ride. RC should not have boarded people who had no seat, period. I remember years ago that one cruise line (maybe NCL?) had reviews for their cruise excursions, so you could read other passengers' experiences and make more informed decisions.

I was on Oasis in April and the shore excursions desk overbooked an excursion we were on in Jamaica, leaving the Jamaican tour company to deal with not enough buses and angry passengers. Another CC poster who was on the same cruise wrote that they were delayed two hours and had only a short time to enjoy the excursion before having to be back on the ship. The lesson I learned - if you book an excursion on a mega ship, make sure you're at the meeting point early! We booked another speedboat/snorkel excursion at Labadee (no private excursion options there) and the seats on the speedboat were more like saddles, that you had to straddle and hang on to a bar, with very little room to maneuver and get your snorkel gear on. Not an overly enjoyable way to ride on a speedboat - but again, not mention of the "saddle seats" in the description.

Everyone has their reasons why they do or do not book cruise line sponsored excursions - it doesn't add anything to this post to waggle a judgmental "told you so" finger at the OP. Things can go wrong on a private excursion too (although less common).

We stopped taking ship sponsored excursions years ago when my 20 year old daughter was harassed to the point of tears by our kayak guide.

I complained to the ship’s desk, the Shore Excursion desk, called Royal headquarters in Miami when I got home, and wrote a letter to the CEO.

All brushed me off with the excuse that shore excursions are booked with private companies and they have no control over them.

At that point, I realized that since there is no accountability with the ship, why should I give them my money?

I now research extensively on trip advisor, etc for reviews, and book my own excursions.

We stopped taking ship sponsored excursions years ago when my 20 year old daughter was harassed to the point of tears by our kayak guide.

I complained to the ship’s desk, the Shore Excursion desk, called Royal headquarters in Miami when I got home, and wrote a letter to the CEO.

All brushed me off with the excuse that shore excursions are booked with private companies and they have no control over them.

At that point, I realized that since there is no accountability with the ship, why should I give them my money?

I now research extensively on trip advisor, etc for reviews, and book my own excursions.

Extensive research via Trip Adviser has never failed me. Always have awesome excursions with at most, maybe 12 people in the group.

The description for excursions on Royal’s website is a joke. Sometimes it’s one paragraph of text and a stock photo. No passenger reviews. It’s 2018 and I have the internet at my fingertips, Why would I go with the unknown? Too much of a gamble for me.

Easy solution....

Stay off Oasis class

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I'm the last person to defend Royals excursions as the worst ones I have ever had have been through Royal. However, in this case, the Blue Lagoon Island people are independent operators and one of the few that Royal doesn't force to comply with their Royal only rule. I got a real sense of the Blue Lagoon people have begun to decline in their offerings after I booked my last Segway excursion with them.

Extensive research via Trip Adviser has never failed me. Always have awesome excursions with at most, maybe 12 people in the group.

The description for excursions on Royal’s website is a joke. Sometimes it’s one paragraph of text and a stock photo. No passenger reviews. It’s 2018 and I have the internet at my fingertips, Why would I go with the unknown? Too much of a gamble for me.

For what its worth, in 2013 and 2014 Royal did have reviews of excursions on their site, but it did such a good job of killing sales they decided to remove the reviews rather than get better excursion companies. But in fairness, they did drop TASTE OF ANTIGUA off their offerings after several reviews, including my own called it a PURE RIPOFF