Portable wireless router

dalmoradie

Has anybody tried using a portable wireless router to bridge wifi connection to multiple devices?

We have the free wifi package and I was wondering if this will work to spread the wifi among our iphones and ipads.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The connection from ship is via satellite and is inherently slow. Land based systems are via cable (although may be locally distributed via wi-fi) and hence have greater bandwidth. So wait until the ship docks and go to an internet enabled café or similar.

Has anybody tried using a portable wireless router to bridge wifi connection to multiple devices?

We have the free wifi package and I was wondering if this will work to spread the wifi among our iphones and ipads.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can share one account with multiple devices, one at a time. Not sure you want to share that small pipe with multiple people.

Your router must be able to flow prompts and execute a log on to the network.

OP: In theory, with the right router it will work. In spite of what people say bandwidth will not be your biggest issue. Your problems will arise with connecting to the network, remaining connected, and getting any throughput to your individual devices with all the metal around you. It is not really practical, and not very effective, but you can do it.

• Like 1

A Wi-Fi router won't do what you are asking unless: your cabin has a wired connetion, and, it has a browser proxy that allows you to log in and log out from the service. You need a wi-fi repeater to connect wirelessly, and again, it needs a browser proxy to log in/out. The few I have used could not do this. The last thing you can try is to enable Internet Connecton Sharing via bluetooth if your devices all support it. Google it and try it at home while your devices are in airplane mode with one wi-fi enabled and the others bluetooth enabled to see if it works.

As others have said, it will be slow.

• Like 1

First, this is technical question and it's not really anybody's business as to whether or not somebody should want to do it.

There are travel routers (I have one) that can take a WiFi connection as input and create a hotspot that can be shared. You would connect to the router with your device and log in to the ship's WiFi service .The question is whether the ship's service could detect a second device connected to the router or would it all look like one session.

If it worked it would obviously only be useful if you had an unlimited plan.

First, this is technical question and it's not really anybody's business as to whether or not somebody should want to do it.

There are travel routers (I have one) that can take a WiFi connection as input and create a hotspot that can be shared. You would connect to the router with your device and log in to the ship's WiFi service .The question is whether the ship's service could detect a second device connected to the router or would it all look like one session.

If it worked it would obviously only be useful if you had an unlimited plan.

Expanding on the technical aspect ... most Internet plans on cruise ships are metered and charge either by the minute, or provide a certain number of minutes for the price you pay. NCL has a plan that provides 100 minutes for $75. If your wireless router does not properly terminate the connection you will use up all your minutes quickly. The unlimited plan on NCL is something like $25 to $30 a day, and that's a pretty hefty premium to pay for dial up speeds.

Why can’t you connect one device (phone) to your internet and use the phone as a hotspot and connect another device (iPad) to that.

Sorry I’m not really all that savvy and this is probably way too simple, so please don’t mock me. I’m just curious about this cuz I do this at home with my phone connected to WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why can’t you connect one device (phone) to your internet and use the phone as a hotspot and connect another device (iPad) to that.

Sorry I’m not really all that savvy and this is probably way too simple, so please don’t mock me. I’m just curious about this cuz I do this at home with my phone connected to WiFi.

I am not mocking you, just curious too. Why would you do that when at home? Why not simply connect the tablet (Ipad) to the internet through your router's wifi connection and not though your phone's "hotspot" service? Just trying to understand what the advantage is of having the phone in the middle of that connection.

If you engage the phone's Hot Spot function you must be careful it does not turn on your cellular data. Read instructions carefully and test at home using Wi-Fi and/or BLuetooth only.

I am not mocking you, just curious too. Why would you do that when at home? Why not simply connect the tablet (Ipad) to the internet through your router's wifi connection and not though your phone's "hotspot" service? Just trying to understand what the advantage is of having the phone in the middle of that connection.

This is why I sometimes do this. I can connect both my phone and iPad to the WiFi at home. The phone will have a strong signal: three waves, but the iPad might show only one or two waves and web pages will be slooooooow to load on the pad while they load quickly on the phone. So I started using the phone as a hotspot to connect the pad to, as it can give a stronger connection.

I can’t do this a lot because sprint has a monthly hotspot quota, but it has helped me in the past.

Edited: I’m guessing this has something to do with available bandwidth???????

Expanding on the technical aspect ... most Internet plans on cruise ships are metered and charge either by the minute, or provide a certain number of minutes for the price you pay. NCL has a plan that provides 100 minutes for $75. If your wireless router does not properly terminate the connection you will use up all your minutes quickly. The unlimited plan on NCL is something like $25 to $30 a day, and that's a pretty hefty premium to pay for dial up speeds.

Years ago your comment about speed would have been correct but things have changed. On the ships that offer the unlimited plan, speed is much faster than dial up. It is not enough from streaming unless you pay for that service, but web pages, e-mail and document downloads are almost as fast as at home.

With the iConcierge app you can see when you have cabin voicemail. There are phones all around the ship to call from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I sometimes do this. I can connect both my phone and iPad to the WiFi at home. The phone will have a strong signal: three waves, but the iPad might show only one or two waves and web pages will be slooooooow to load on the pad while they load quickly on the phone. So I started using the phone as a hotspot to connect the pad to, as it can give a stronger connection.

I can’t do this a lot because sprint has a monthly hotspot quota, but it has helped me in the past.

Edited: I’m guessing this has something to do with available bandwidth???????

Thanks, interesting to know that your ipad networks better to your iphone that to standard wifi; a little more of apple magic I assume.

Years ago your comment about speed would have been correct but things have changed. On the ships that offer the unlimited plan, speed is much faster than dial up. It is not enough from streaming unless you pay for that service, but web pages, e-mail and document downloads are almost as fast as at home.

I heard the rumors ... wasn't NCL supposed to have that fleet-wide by June of 2017 or something? But my experience has been that shipboard Internet is slower than dial up (it literally took 20 minutes to check in for our flights at the Internet station on the Celebrity Infinity a year and a half ago).

I haven't seen many reviews of the Internet speed upgrades. Any way to tell which ships have this?

Following is to answer OP's question. All others - feel free to ignore & disregard as it is of zero interest to you ... some of us travel with tools of our trade, optionally and otherwise.

Edimax BR-6258n wireless nano router @150Mbps is my choice, better than the TP-Link wireless routers. It connect via its WAN & LAN ports over ethernet - in hotels & places - to split & share signal ... works great IF and WHEN the inbound signal is good, fast & reliable.

It's not a dual-band & only support 2.4 Ghz band, but get the job done. Laptop/notebook PC user - Sony Viao has a built-in wirecless hotspot function and can do that (Windows 8.1 and 10). DD WRT Linux-Tomato firmware & TP-Link WR7xx series travel router is another option although I prefer the Edimax.

It is best to use & setup with the browser interface - to click thru the log-in screen, consent & log-out, etc.

As for usability - NCL's satellite WiFi has come a long way since the Sea/Crown & Dawn generation nearly 20 years ago - speed is faster & less costly, but, still slow compared to RCCL's Voom tech - and, for all practically purposes, when the inbound satellite signal is bridged and shared, it's mostly too slow to share for streaming & video/graphic-intensive use ... fine for basic web browsing, email & :loudcry:Skype and VoIP applications:loudcry::loudcry: (HD Voice on Ooma only need a good 3G speed) - whereas 480p video need a 5Mbps consistent connection, 720p prefer a 8Mbps or better downlink or it will buffer a lot & timed out.

Different CC that reviewed & commented on their experience with NCL's "current" WiFi had varied & mixed results - not surprised, as it is also a function of one's own "hardware" & configuration - while connected to a shared connection over ultra-long distance to land towers for that last mile to the IP.

Good luck ... personally, I won't upgrade those free minutes but will use it as is - and, 95% of the time, wait until we are with range of land towers & "roam" on faster/better/stronger 3G & 4G/LTE cellular signal.

Edited by mking8288

Can anyone confirm the per day price of internet? I thought I read somewhere that it was more reasonable. Anyone know if you can pay one price upfront instead of per day?

Following is to answer OP's question. All others - feel free to ignore & disregard as it is of zero interest to you ... some of us travel with tools of our trade, optionally and otherwise.

Edimax BR-6258n wireless nano router @150Mbps is my choice, better than the TP-Link wireless routers. It connect via its WAN & LAN ports over ethernet - in hotels & places - to split & share signal ... works great IF and WHEN the inbound signal is good, fast & reliable.

It's not a dual-band & only support 2.4 Ghz band, but get the job done. Laptop/notebook PC user - Sony Viao has a built-in wirecless hotspot function and can do that (Windows 8.1 and 10). DD WRT Linux-Tomato firmware & TP-Link WR7xx series travel router is another option although I prefer the Edimax.

It is best to use & setup with the browser interface - to click thru the log-in screen, consent & log-out, etc.

As for usability - NCL's satellite WiFi has come a long way since the Sea/Crown & Dawn generation nearly 20 years ago - speed is faster & less costly, but, still slow compared to RCCL's Voom tech - and, for all practically purposes, when the inbound satellite signal is bridged and shared, it's mostly too slow to share for streaming & video/graphic-intensive use ... fine for basic web browsing, email & :loudcry:Skype and VoIP applications:loudcry::loudcry: (HD Voice on Ooma only need a good 3G speed) - whereas 480p video need a 5Mbps consistent connection, 720p prefer a 8Mbps or better downlink or it will buffer a lot & timed out.

Different CC that reviewed & commented on their experience with NCL's "current" WiFi had varied & mixed results - not surprised, as it is also a function of one's own "hardware" & configuration - while connected to a shared connection over ultra-long distance to land towers for that last mile to the IP.

Good luck ... personally, I won't upgrade those free minutes but will use it as is - and, 95% of the time, wait until we are with range of land towers & "roam" on faster/better/stronger 3G & 4G/LTE cellular signal.

Thank you so much for this info. Exactly the answer I was looking for.

I currently have the RAVPower FileHub Plus Wireless Travel Router and have used it at hotels with great results. I know the Getaway's WiFi will not be the same as a hotel's, and that's why I wanted to find out if anyone has had the experience of using a travel router.

I will try it on our cruise in November.

Amen to that!

There are travel routers (I have one) that can take a WiFi connection as input and create a hotspot that can be shared.
If you don't mind my asking, which router do you have, are you happy, would you recommend it?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am going on a the NCL Escape cruise on September and I also would like to know what are my best options for a portable router to share my Internet. I will be going with a group of 20+ people, and I wanted to get one unlimited Internet package and share among us to check our emails / use social apps. I'm no expert by any means, but the only portable routers I've seen online are those that require an Ethernet cable. Are there any available portable routers that could log into NCL's Internet and connect to its wifi to share it back to us ?

Thank you

This used to work as I used to do it. However they have caught on and use cookies placed on your devices to determine your device identity. Because of this, there is no way to share internet using those travel wifi sharing routers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk