9:20 am flight from Dublin

maadimom

I have read about all of the issues when leaving Dublin. We are on the Reflection June 2019, and it arrives in Dublin on the 13th, but we don’t have to disembark until the 14th.

The best flight for us leaves at 9:20am. Am I wrong to assume we can walk off with our luggage early? Since we leave and return to Dublin, would there be any type of customs clearance at the port? This would be the only hiccup I can see. If you have to clear customs,and they aren’t yet open when you want to leave at say 6am. I’ve never been in an overnight situation for the final day. I was wondering if they’ve done this because of the troubles that they have had getting everyone off and to the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have read about all of the issues when leaving Dublin. We are on the Reflection June 2019, and it arrives in Dublin on the 13th, but we don’t have to disembark until the 14th.

The best flight for us leaves at 9:20am. Am I wrong to assume we can walk off with our luggage early? Since we leave and return to Dublin, would there be any type of customs clearance at the port? This would be the only hiccup I can see. If you have to clear customs,and they aren’t yet open when you want to leave at say 6am. I’ve never been in an overnight situation for the final day. I was wondering if they’ve done this because of the troubles that they have had getting everyone off and to the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not a problem.the only problem is to find a standby taxi

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not a problem.the only problem is to find a standby taxi

I agree. You MUST Prearrange for a taxi.I

In case this thread comes up in a future search:

warning to those who arrive in Dublin on the same day as your departure by plane and are traveling to the U.S.. You will not catch a flight before 11am.

I suggest that you reserve a cab as they can be quite scarce at the Port. Last time I was there I noticed that they only allowed them to enter a few at a time. I stayed in Dublin after the cruise and took a number of cabs. The drivers complained about Port rules.

Another plan would be to leave the ship after dinner the last night and go to an airport hotel. I noticed a few who did that. That way you could beat the rush and sleep a bit longer the day of your flight.

I don’t know about Customs or times for walkoff, but I agree with the previous commenters about pre-arranging transport. Just as a port stop a few weeks ago, we lucked out with a waiting taxi Day 1, and Day 2, we had to wait like 20 minutes for one to show up. He told us traffic was horrendous. Our first taxi driver said 8:00 until the end of rush hour is the worst for traffic. He said we picked a good time to leave at 7:30 because we’d beat most of the traffic. Hope that helps!

You are required to go through US Customs and Immigration at the Dublin Airport before you can go to your Gate. They are fairly efficient, but you need to leave time for the process. The positive is that your flight becomes a domestic flight once you clear and you don't need to go through C&I when you return to the States.

There is no customs at the cruise port itself. As Orator said, you do go through US customs at the airport.

Taxis were a nigntmare for the first couple of Celebrity departures and disembarkation from Dublin. Drivers typically have to have a special license to get into the port area to pick up passengers. By the second cruise in May 2018, they were letting in any taxi driver which improved the situation. Our prebooked taxi for departure was a no show. Fortunately, we were just going to a hotel and by the time we stopped waiting, the taxi line was good.

I will also add that embarkation was a bit of a challenge because Celebrity used a tent for checkin and luggage drop off and shuttled passengers to the ship. We saw many people being dropped off with their luggage as close to the ship as the taxis could get. Dublin is an industrial port and they had to get themselves back to the tent on foot with luggage. Pay attention to your recommended boarding time if they are still doing it this way - they were holding passengers for the shuttle. Some waited a long time in the tent.

I just looked at the calendar. The 13th is a Thursday. Traffic in Dublin is beyond horrible, especially at rush hour. If you have global entry, allow two hours at the airport to checkin and clear customs. If you don’t have global entry, I would say a lot earlier.

To make a 9:20 flight you’d have to walk off and leave the ship at some awful hour and hope that your prebooked taxi shows up. I would not do it.

I would take a later flight or leave the ship the day before and spend the night at an airport hotel.

It does take time to get through US Custsoms at the airport, and it is busy that early with many leaving early to get to various US cities the same day, so 9:30 is going to be a challenge. And missing it will be a nightmare to rebook.

Earlier posts have given you other options such as an airport hotel and so on. My suggestion is stick with 9:30 but a few days later. We spent 4 days in Dublin before we did a bus tour and loved it. So very much to do and see......and eat and drink!

Den

Hi M,

Make sure that you have reserved your transportation to the airport well in advance.

The cruise terminal is somewhat out of the way, and there was a definite dearth of taxis when we disembarked a couple of weeks ago.

We were told that some people waited as long as 2 1/2 hours for a cab.

Ira

We were on the Ireland/Iceland cruise this past April/May.

Here was our experience.

We were in no rush since we spent an extra two nights in Dublin and left that Saturday.

We didn't do express walk off but we were in one of the earlier groups.

It took us about 10 minutes to collect our luggage, another 20 minutes waiting in the queue for a taxi.

It takes about 20 minutes to the airport with no traffic.

We had an 850AM flight to the US. American Airlines said to be there 4 hours before the flight. We ignored them and arrived at 530ish. The AA counter was just beginning to open and we waited another 10 minutes for them to do so. We checked our luggage and then went through the land-side security. That took about another 15 minutes and that was on the faster line.

We went to the pre clearance area and they also weren't open yet although people were lined up at the closed doors. We took a stroll and came back later and I think they opened the doors around 630AM. We were fortunate in that there was a much shorter line for business class. It took us a few minutes to pass through security again and then we all waited for Customs to open their door (I think they did at 7AM). We have Global Entry so we scanned our passports answered a few questions and were through in a few minutes.

It is a pain but it avoids the queue back in the US and the frequent travelers who use this airport said they preferred the clearance on the Dublin end.

Also an FYI. Our friends had reserved a car service to avoid the taxi line and it never showed up.

We were on the May 28th Eclipse (Ireland, Iceland & Scotland) and returned to the port of Dublin on June 7th (so pretty current experience). We had a same day flight at 11:20am (AA). I was so concerned with all the mess that had been going on with the first couple of disembarkments at this port. We opted to pre-arrange private transportation with LFL. and purchased the Fast Track for DUB.

We hurried to do self disembark as we thought there would be a line...there wasn't ... We literally easily just walked off at 6:00am (we had docked at 5:30am). We ended up waiting a bit for our car/driver as we had scheduled a 7:00am pickup. We saw several taxi's coming and lining up but they were quickly taken. We probably could have gotten one easily but glad we had opted for private transportation..better safe than sorry.

The whole process at DUB ended up being quicker than we thought (probably because we got there so early) didn't need the Fast Track at all. But we did end up sitting in an area upstairs for quite sometime since our flight was in the International area they apparently seal it off and won't let you in there until just before your flight.

So much stress worrying over this port but it ended up being easy...so just arrive early is the key.

Another plan would be to leave the ship after dinner the last night and go to an airport hotel. I noticed a few who did that. That way you could beat the rush and sleep a bit longer the day of your flight.

Are there any special approvals needed, other than just notifying guest services on the ship,to be able to check out after dinner the last night?- have done an overnight the first night of a cruise but never the last night . Thinking about doing what Orator suggested.

Just kidding. One of my pet peeves is people who ask a question that people take time to answer and they don't return to acknowledge.

Sorry I haven’t replied fast enough to please you, but am in the middle of a remodeling situation and for some reason received no emails saying anyone had replied to my post, hence I didn’t see anything until now. Your reply is why I almost never ask a question here.

Thanks to all of you that gave advice. I truly appreciate it! I have been to the Dublin airport several times and am familiar with that end. My only concern was with Celebrity and the port hassles I’ve been reading about this year. I’ve never had an overnight at the end of a cruise so was thinking an earlier flight may work. We have booked our flight over with miles. Now we are just trying to get the best flight back.

FYI we are staying in Ireland for a full week ahead of the cruise, have been to Dublin several times so really don’t want to spend the night there which is a great option if you’ve never been before.

We were on the Ireland/Iceland cruise this past April/May.

Here was our experience.

We were in no rush since we spent an extra two nights in Dublin and left that Saturday.

We didn't do express walk off but we were in one of the earlier groups.

It took us about 10 minutes to collect our luggage, another 20 minutes waiting in the queue for a taxi.

It takes about 20 minutes to the airport with no traffic.

We had an 850AM flight to the US. American Airlines said to be there 4 hours before the flight. We ignored them and arrived at 530ish. The AA counter was just beginning to open and we waited another 10 minutes for them to do so. We checked our luggage and then went through the land-side security. That took about another 15 minutes and that was on the faster line.

We went to the pre clearance area and they also weren't open yet although people were lined up at the closed doors. We took a stroll and came back later and I think they opened the doors around 630AM. We were fortunate in that there was a much shorter line for business class. It took us a few minutes to pass through security again and then we all waited for Customs to open their door (I think they did at 7AM). We have Global Entry so we scanned our passports answered a few questions and were through in a few minutes.

It is a pain but it avoids the queue back in the US and the frequent travelers who use this airport said they preferred the clearance on the Dublin end.

Also an FYI. Our friends had reserved a car service to avoid the taxi line and it never showed up.

Thanks! Knowing when they open is helpful. We do have global entry as well which I read that we can use here. I think we can do it, but it still sounds a little stressful. Last year we left from Dublin, but flew to Heathrow first so it was a different situation all together.

We do have the option of a 12:55 flight, but it is on a 757-200 plane which is not a great experience for an 8 hour flight. I may just suck it up and book this one to avoid the stress. There is still time to decide.

Last year we left from Dublin, but flew to Heathrow first so it was a different situation all together.

Hi- what was your experience flying from Dublin to Great Brittain? we are planning on staying in Europe after the cruise and wondered about the ease of getting thru the Dublin airport. Thanks

Hi- what was your experience flying from Dublin to Great Brittain? we are planning on staying in Europe after the cruise and wondered about the ease of getting thru the Dublin airport. Thanks

I don't remember the exact time we departed, but it was mid-morning on British Airways. The security line was ridiculously long, but we were there very early so had enough time. There were many nervous people in line because as I said it was crazy, and this was without the added TSA line. Just get there early and you should have no issues.

I don't remember the exact time we departed, but it was mid-morning on British Airways. The security line was ridiculously long, but we were there very early so had enough time. There were many nervous people in line because as I said it was crazy, and this was without the added TSA line. Just get there early and you should have no issues.

Thanks!