Will HAL prepare a picnic lunch to take on port days?

SeaWatch

Welcome to cruise critic where EVERYONE can be a real critic!

Discussing the legality of taking ships food onshore is not being "critical". Yes, just like visa requirements or immunizations, it is the duty of the passenger to know the law and prevailing regulations. The ship can inform, but ultimately the full responsibility for practice and consequences rests with the individual passenger.

No, it was not just a simple question. It was the degree of entitlement attitude that triggered much of the follow-up discussion. Generation gap perhaps? Old thinking - play for the rules vs. new thinking - rules are for fools. Regardless of age or generation, this always causes onboard tensions in these closed-system environments like cruise ships. Where rules become more important than they might be on land-based private property.

A "generation gap"?? Really, I cant imagine how this is based on age. Considering on most of the HAL ships I am on, there are maybe 5-10 people from my generation (I am 33), I assure you that the majority of people sneaking food off aren't the young people because they are not actually on the ship. That leaves the 50-70 year olds who are breaking the rules. (I cruise multiple times a year and this is the case on almost every cruise I go on)

A "generation gap"?? Really, I cant imagine how this is based on age. Considering on most of the HAL ships I am on, there are maybe 5-10 people from my generation (I am 33), I assure you that the majority of people sneaking food off aren't the young people because they are not actually on the ship. That leaves the 50-70 year olds who are breaking the rules. (I cruise multiple times a year and this is the case on almost every cruise I go on)

I can't comment on the percentage of young versus old on our cruises, but without question, the ones sneaking the food off the ship that I was aware of were the older ones that should have known better and followed the rules.

There are ports where you can take food off. And there are some foods you can take off which have been discussed. The situations I saw were in neither of these scenarios. It is rare though, but sadly, it happens. :(

Apart from the fact that it may be illegal, why would anybody take one of those awful soggy sandwiches, carry them around all morning and then eat them at lunchtime when it would be even more soggy.

Sounds a bit desperate to me.

Desperate? Get yourself a dictionary. The word you’re looking for is convenient.

Wow, you’ve given me a lot of nuggets to mine from that article Ruth. #1 of course, is that those dirty old classic $1,000,000 cars were just visiting. They don’t really live in Alaska. And the guy still had the best vacation ever, even though the bear ate his car. Then he remembered he had a wife and he should mention it’s too bad she wasn’t invited, I mean couldn’t be there to enjoy it with him. She wouldn’t haven’t gone anyway because there wasn’t enough room for her things in that tiny old suitcase attached to the trunk.

All my rich friends and I like to take our $1,000,000 cars off roading and see whose car suffers the most damage. That’s always a big laugh.

A little clarification: my plan is to spend the day on Delos. My assumption was that restaurant options are limited or non existent. So, a picnic lunch sounded like a good idea. No, I am not desperate (reference to the soggy sandwich) nor am I desperate to present my opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A little clarification: my plan is to spend the day on Delos. My assumption was that restaurant options are limited or non existent. So, a picnic lunch sounded like a good idea. No, I am not desperate (reference to the soggy sandwich) nor am I desperate to present my opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can purchase food on the ferries to Delos:

Select your accommodation

Conventional ferries to Delos:

• Restaurants, cafes, bars, WCs, decks are available for any class of accommodation.
  • Economy deck seats are spread all over the ship and you can seat wherever you want – the ones inside the ship, near the bar or cafeteria are better since they are more comfortable to sit, like armchairs. The ones outside are like swimming pool plastic chairs and tables – not comfortable for long trips, but fun to stay during the day, watching the beautiful blue sea and having a drink. The economy class stores the luggage in racks spread all over the ship, and sometimes not close to the place where you are sitting.
  • Air seats are numbered seats so each passenger is assigned a specific seat. They are large and comfortable and if you intend to take a nap, that’s good enough. The seats are in separate private rooms on the ship. The numbers refer to the location of these “rooms” and that doesn’t make any difference. They are all the same. You enter through a private door to the lounge and at the back you have racks to store your luggage. It’s like a first class wagon on a train.
  • Business class or/and VIP is a separate section with larger seats with the most comfortable seating. Both Business and VIP have their own bars, and are restricted to passengers holding tickets for those sections.

Highspeed and Sea Jets catamaran Delos ferries:

• Economy or/and Air seats are all that most people need. They are reserved/ numbered seats and roomier than economy on a jet airliner.
  • Business class or/and VIP is a separate section with larger seats on the upper deck with the most comfortable seating. Both Business and VIP have their own bars, and are restricted to passengers holding tickets for those sections.

All people must eat and no reason to think those who live and work on Delos d o not need food. OF course there will be food available for purchase.

No one lives on Delos; it is an archeological site only and everyone must vacate it at the end of every day.

You can purchase food on the ferries to Delos:

Select your accommodation

Conventional ferries to Delos:

• Restaurants, cafes, bars, WCs, decks are available for any class of accommodation.
  • Economy deck seats are spread all over the ship and you can seat wherever you want – the ones inside the ship, near the bar or cafeteria are better since they are more comfortable to sit, like armchairs. The ones outside are like swimming pool plastic chairs and tables – not comfortable for long trips, but fun to stay during the day, watching the beautiful blue sea and having a drink. The economy class stores the luggage in racks spread all over the ship, and sometimes not close to the place where you are sitting.
  • Air seats are numbered seats so each passenger is assigned a specific seat. They are large and comfortable and if you intend to take a nap, that’s good enough. The seats are in separate private rooms on the ship. The numbers refer to the location of these “rooms” and that doesn’t make any difference. They are all the same. You enter through a private door to the lounge and at the back you have racks to store your luggage. It’s like a first class wagon on a train.
  • Business class or/and VIP is a separate section with larger seats with the most comfortable seating. Both Business and VIP have their own bars, and are restricted to passengers holding tickets for those sections.

Highspeed and Sea Jets catamaran Delos ferries:

• Economy or/and Air seats are all that most people need. They are reserved/ numbered seats and roomier than economy on a jet airliner.
  • Business class or/and VIP is a separate section with larger seats on the upper deck with the most comfortable seating. Both Business and VIP have their own bars, and are restricted to passengers holding tickets for those sections.

I believe those descriptions are for ferries from other (farther) places to Delos, not the several-times-daily short ferry ride from Mykonos, which (as far as I can recall) does not have those kinds of amenities available. There *may* have been a small and very limited snack bar but certainly not what is described above.

I believe those descriptions are for ferries from other (farther) places to Delos, not the several-times-daily short ferry ride from Mykonos, which (as far as I can recall) does not have those kinds of amenities available. There *may* have been a small and very limited snack bar but certainly not what is described above.

Then one must choose their ferry with care if they need to bring something to eat during their Delos visit. One can also assume there will be food for purchase at or near the ferry dock. It is a visit well worth any extra efforts. Haunting site.

The OP already posted that s/he is headed somewhere (Delos) where food is very limited, if available at all. (Frankly, I only remember ice creams being sold outside the museum when I was there.....)

Really is no need for the kind of disparaging remarks one gets in answer to an honest question. Not all of us take an excursion where you're dropped off in the middle of a lovely town just chock full of cafes and shops.

The OP already posted that s/he is headed somewhere (Delos) where food is very limited, if available at all. (Frankly, I only remember ice creams being sold outside the museum when I was there.....)

Really is no need for the kind of disparaging remarks one gets in answer to an honest question. Not all of us take an excursion where you're dropped off in the middle of a lovely town just chock full of cafes and shops.

I can’t recall any eateries on Delos, but the small beach village on Mykonos near where you get the ferry for the short ride over: Agios Ionnis (sp.?) has a number of shops and tavernas where you can stoke up before or after you trip across.

I can’t recall any eateries on Delos, but the small beach village on Mykonos near where you get the ferry for the short ride over: Agios Ionnis (sp.?) has a number of shops and tavernas where you can stoke up before or after you trip across.

We had no trouble finding a delicious lunch in Mykonos for the four of us. Wonderful memories. food was so fresh and oh so good. :) I really loved Mykonos.

Not to belabor the point, but our ship dropped us off at Delos. So we didn't go to Mykonos first. And when our ship went across to Mykonos in the early afternoon, we chose to stay on Delos and take the ferry back to Mykonos on our own, much later, catching up with the ship before she departed.

I can't speak for the OP, but I often spend the entire day at sites like Delos or ones that are even more remote. I can't believe there is this much angst over someone choosing to NOT spend time eating locally. Trust me, I love opportunities to do so, especially when I'm on a land vacation. I visit certain local eateries in Rome so often that they recognize me from trip to trip. But when time is so limited and I like to spend every available moment "on site" so to speak, well..... I'm just not very interested in local food on those days.

I will take a Power bar or similar packaged food when necessary but I also have found out that in these circumstances it pays to inquire whether other foods can be taken off the ship.

I will take a Power bar or similar packaged food when necessary but I also have found out that in these circumstances it pays to inquire whether other foods can be taken off the ship.

Hopefully yours will be the final word on this matter. Your suggestion is the right and proper one.

Delos isn't as touristy as some of the places HAL cruises to:D

What rules? No one told us we couldn't take sandwiches on excursions ashore.

What ports did you visit where you took food off of the ship?

Caribbean, Europe, Asia????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What ports did you visit where you took food off of the ship?

Caribbean, Europe, Asia????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been allowed to take food off the ship in some European ports. And I have partaken of picnic lunches provided by the ship in some places in Europe and in the Middle East.