Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

28 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, are you near Palenstine and that awful train wreck/explosion? Man on man, I feel really bad for those folks. I am thinking ALOT of people are going to end up getting sick (and some are already).

We live about three hours by car from East Palestine, Ohio.  That village of a little under 5,000 people is just south of Youngstown and right next to the Pennsylvania border.  Yes, this is a real mess and we still do not know how it will all "work out" for the innocent residents/victims there.  Did a TV news program Friday afternoon about this situation.  Have followed the detailed briefings closely and talked with a number of Ohio experts.  

The good news?  Both political sides and even MSNBC and Fox News have been united in saying how bad things have been.  All sides point to a major need for serious legal reforms.  From talking with an experienced rail insider, things go back to the 1970's when many eastern railroads went through bankruptcies and various mergers resulted.  The Feds took over all regulations.  Controls and oversight has been weakened during recent decades.  Changes legally are needed!!  All agree.  Norfolk Southern will not win any PR awards for how they have handled these issues and failed to keep the public properly informed.   

For people there in that village, their water was been tested and these deeper municipal wells are OK for now.  But, homes and farms with shallower, private wells are at at a greater risk and need to be tested individually, plus using bottled water.  Longer-term, there are serious questions as to how this all will affect home and property values there in this community.  

Rail transportation is now realized as a more vital national part of our "supply chain".  And do you want too many tanker trucks on our Interstate highways hauling certain of these dangerous materials?  Many such high-risk compounds cannot go via the safety pipelines.  It all needs serious attention and action.  Fortunately, this de-railment did not happen in a highly-populated urban area with a major loss of life.  Hope this is not too much background and/or details.  Any other questions?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

We live about three hours by car from East Palestine, Ohio.  That village of a little under 5,000 people is just south of Youngstown and right next to the Pennsylvania border.  Yes, this is a real mess and we still do not know how it will all "work out" for the innocent residents/victims there.  Did a TV news program Friday afternoon about this situation.  Have followed the detailed briefings closely and talked with a number of Ohio experts.  

The good news?  Both political sides and even MSNBC and Fox News have been united in saying how bad things have been.  All sides point to a major need for serious legal reforms.  From talking with an experienced rail insider, things go back to the 1970's when many eastern railroads when through bankruptcies and various mergers resulted.  The Feds took over all regulations.  Controls have been weakened during recent decades.  Changes legally are needed!!  All agree.  Norfolk Southern will not win any PR awards for how they have handled these issues and failed to keep the public properly informed.   

For people there in that village, their water was been tested and these deeper municipal wells are OK for now.  But, homes and farms with shallower, private wells are at at a greater risk and need to be tested individually.  Longer-term, there are serious questions as to how this all will affect home and property values there in this community.  

Rail transportation is now realized as a more vital part of our "supply chain".  It needs serious attention and action.  Fortunately, this de-railment did not happen in a highly-populated urban area with a major loss of life.  Hope this is not too much background and/or details.  Any other questions?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Thanks for the reply and detailed explanation. No, it is not too much. I have been following along (not nearly as close as you though) and I did have the same thoughts about Norfolk Southern....they are really the true responsible party in the whole mess and certainly don't seem to be answering the questions!  

5 hours ago, silkismom said:

That looks like at least a 2 pounder. yum

It was actually just a 1-1/4 pounder. After the heavy appetizers we didn't want to try and eat a larger one just before bed.

The wine selection last night was a Vermentino di Sardegna. Always a nice choice with seafood. We were impressed with the wine and cocktail lists at the three restaurants we chose for lunch and dinner. Our hotel's restaurant had the smallest wine list but it still wasn't bad, and their cocktail menu was great.

Today we slept in until 8 and had a lighter breakfast at the hotel. We had made an early lunch reservation so we could metabolize the wine before leaving for the drive home.

It was a bit more cloudy than yesterday but warmer. The view from our window was still nice.

20230219_084717.thumb.jpg.cdd31bebbf557c708868108b1c22a357.jpg

Then we grabbed our car and did a drive around the Southwestern part of Aquidneck Island (the island that Newport is located on). First we stopped at King Park for the Rochambeau statue, commemorating the arrival of the French troops to aid in the American Revolution.

20230219_090235.thumb.jpg.9b6b85b835364a8ee9a8e658b38288a8.jpg

From here we went to Fort Adams State Park. Nice view from the docks there.

20230219_092252.thumb.jpg.40a584459f8e43088e915b367e052e7f.jpg

There's a 2+ mile loop around the Bay. Since we only did about 25000 steps yesterday, we went for it. Christmas decorations still out in February?

20230219_093927.thumb.jpg.54fe51cb275a146ce1cfb98144175d47.jpg

The Eisenhower House. Apparently DDE's summer house.

20230219_095039.thumb.jpg.0f047a96ca0d1354c12c88e157ede1ff.jpg

On the other side of the Bay, there were a bunch of people "sailing" remote-controlled boats. No naval battles being waged, though.

20230219_095843.thumb.jpg.d1f1472a3ac729252068ca2c0e6be904.jpg

Now further on to Brenton Point SP. There's a monument here to the Golden Age of Portuguese Navigation and Exploration.

20230219_102213.thumb.jpg.6a0428b4507ee8aaca2f4305bf71374a.jpg

The coast looks desolate. Our Audi looks lonely.

20230219_102731.thumb.jpg.73186f260c83d62e275227ecc648c66d.jpg

But it's pretty here.

20230219_103456.thumb.jpg.7a8f91a4816b658b83d42396ba0af82e.jpg

20230219_103530.thumb.jpg.8e3786a6eed17075bb7db8bef247532e.jpg

From here we completed the loop on Ocean Drive and headed back through town to Goat Island. We probably could have walked here from the hotel but it was easier to drive since we already had the car. The island itself wasn't too exciting but there was a nice view of the Claiborne Pell Newport Bridge that we had driven over on Friday night.

20230219_110203.thumb.jpg.a0b3cf5688e7e761aea20bd8e1c30309.jpg

There's a hotel on the North end of the Island. And a tiny lighthouse. There was also a skating rink! That would have been fun.

20230219_111211.thumb.jpg.3af97facc08cd536638da5255348633e.jpg

Back to the hotel where we parked and got ready for lunch. It was a 15-minute walk. Because we hadn't walked enough yet. But we rewarded ourselves with more aperitifs...

"Newport Stormy" on the left - dark rum, floated on ginger beer and lime juice. It seems that I have developed a sudden taste for ginger beer? Chris's "Yachtie Pants" had Gin, Aperol, and lemonade.

20230219_121123.thumb.jpg.a97bdf8a49a37d4acfab6327d174f942.jpg

They went well with a duck and lobster quesadilla. Decadent!

20230219_122217.thumb.jpg.74594ea1138c10adc82468a9efe23b68.jpg

Scallops and gnocchi for Chris.

20230219_125100.thumb.jpg.b4a5fae297e899c9de890c06dcd3aa54.jpg

Boring steak frites for me. But cooked bleeding rare. And absolutely delicious!

20230219_125108.thumb.jpg.366aa99d7923a8644840d6e5146c1ee6.jpg

Luckily they had half bottles on the menu. And we each found one that would go with our mains!

20230219_124216.thumb.jpg.abd029e27d17ffa97e826c6c314663ec.jpg

After that we went back to the hotel for a bit to rest up and metabolize before driving home. I almost fell asleep but managed not to. After some coffee, we packed up and checked out a little before 3:00.

Traffic on the Mass Pike was absolutely flying! I found a pair of fellow New Yorkers who were going 90+ and followed them most of the way. Chris kept Waze open and we didn't have to stop so we made excellent time. Even with a stop for gas as we left Newport, we were home in well under 3 hours. Yay for crazy drivers!

20230219_174459.thumb.jpg.b8110de5fd6bcb77d08c557adac23a75.jpg

Thankfully we have tomorrow off to do some grocery shopping, and change the water in the aquarium. Then we have to start thinking about packing for our trip to Indonesia - we leave in less than 2 weeks!

• Like 6

12 hours ago, broker1217 said:

JPAlbany-was that hanger steak?

I Must confess my ignorance as I'm usually bewildered by the  American terms used to describe steaks. The one I do understand is a Fillay which translates to a fillet. The rest gets googled! I Now know what to ask for if I fancy a Butchers Cut! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Must confess my ignorance as I'm usually bewildered by the  American terms used to describe steaks. The one I do understand is a Fillay which translates to a fillet. The rest gets googled! I Now know what to ask for if I fancy a Butchers Cut! 

I always thought it was a new name for an unpopular piece of meat that was hard to sell!

• Haha 3

I should have also called it onglet-that term may be used more in UK.

It is a piece that hangs below the diaphragm, so only one per cow.

The muscle gets little to no use which results in tenderness and great flavor.

And if you can find them, not horribly expensive (at least in US).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, broker1217 said:

I should have also called it onglet-that term may be used more in UK.

It is a piece that hangs below the diaphragm, so only one per cow.

The muscle gets little to no use which results in tenderness and great flavor.

And if you can find them, not horribly expensive (at least in US).

I used to like to grill flank (cheap) steak until it became popular. The price went up.Then people moved to hanger steak it seems. Now the price is going up on that.

• Like 1

Visiting abandoned train stations in rural area, One is renovated and now a small museum, and the other almost destroyed (station, mail house and chapel (renovated)).

I do like these historical stations.

sapucaia1.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 17.54.15.jpeg

bemjamin.jpg

cdcc79ee-1366-4f1d-8598-b50178e8d78d.jpg

Edited by Lirio
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, zqtchas said:

I used to like to grill flank (cheap) steak until it became popular. The price went up.Then people moved to hanger steak it seems. Now the price is going up on that.

Yes ridiculous! I saw a piece of nondescript flank steak in the supermarket today as a markdown, sell by date today, for $9.99/#. Regular price was $13.99. For flank steak? Nuts.

• Like 1

Thanks to The Fresh Market we have been introduced to the joys of Prime meat. Chateaubriand and boneless Strip. Not cheap, but still much cheaper than the same quality meat at a steakhouse. And with so little fat (just marbled in the right places!) it cooks beautifully in the oven broiler (the grill in our snowbird rental is broken, but we don’t miss it). 

• Like 4