Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CC Help Michell

Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning folks, had an issue starting yesterday with my internet going down which is connected to my land line. Yes, I do have a land line.  I just called them again this morning and spoke with a nice person who actually walked me through resetting my modem and wha la...….I have the internet again. As for retirement...…….I know I would get SS but I know you cannot live off that so that is why I need to see about all the $$ I have in my various accounts (totals)  and what I need to live on...on a daily/monthly basis. 

 

Great to hear, Lois, that you have your Internet back on.  Yes, those situations can be very frustrating!!  How do we live and exist without the Internet?  Lots of recent tasty and good-looking food visuals being shared here at the Cooler.

 

Yes for Lois, keep doing your future financial planning.  Not always easy to balance out the many options, desires and interests.  Then, to pay for it????

 

We are now less than three months from departing in July, for our first time, to be seeing Jasper/Banff, doing the Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, having three days in Vancouver, then sailing up to Alaska on the Silver Muse, doing a post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  After that on our priority list is a first-time trip for exploring in early 2020 various South Pacific islands, including Fiji, Samoa, Bora Bora, etc.  Would commence this 18-day cruise in mid February from Auckland.  We plan to get there a week ahead in order to explore more of New Zealand's North Island and be escaping from the Midwest winter cold.  In 2014, we did Wellington, Napier/Cape Kidnappers, Tauranga/Rotorua and Auckland/Waiheke Island, etc.  Will welcome all good suggestion for other exciting opportunities and fun locations in NZ's North Island.  More good photo opportunities??

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 219,987 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Terry, you know a few years ago I thought I may have to work till the end of time but things changed, and now? Well, I may be able to see a light at the end of the tunnel much sooner than I expected. 

 

As for your upcoming trip, I have been to Alaska 3  times over the last 15 years but never to Denali.  Have to do that one of these days but my real bucket list trip is Australia/New Zealand...…..one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, you know a few years ago I thought I may have to work till the end of time but things changed, and now? Well, I may be able to see a light at the end of the tunnel much sooner than I expected.   As for your upcoming trip, I have been to Alaska 3  times over the last 15 years but never to Denali.  Have to do that one of these days but my real bucket list trip is Australia/New Zealand...…..one day.

 

YES, Lois, it is always challenging to figure out that right and best timing for "transitions" in life and with careers, etc.  Fun travel can be wonderful, but is not always "cheap".  To do "better" cruise lines such as Silversea and more creative/interesting excursions generally cost a little more than the cheap/basic versions.  

 

Glad you have Australia and New Zealand at the TOP of your future bucket list.  Having done much there in 2014, I am happy to share more specifics and suggestions.  My "Top Tip" for this region is to allow enough time down there.  If you do a cruise, that can be a great way to sample many key areas.  BUT, as we did, it worked out so well to do added locations in Australia (Kangaroo Island and Great Barrier Reef) before departing from Sydney and then having added time after our cruise ended in Auckland.  Given the long travel times, you ideally need three to four weeks for exploring in these areas.  That's why we waited until after my wife retired to attempt this length of an in-depth "adventure".   Keep researching, planning and dreaming!!

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I may be able to see a light at the end of the tunnel”

 

As one of my friends used to say ... Beware .... it could be an express train travelling towards you! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

 

YES, Lois, it is always challenging to figure out that right and best timing for "transitions" in life and with careers, etc.  Fun travel can be wonderful, but is not always "cheap".  To do "better" cruise lines such as Silversea and more creative/interesting excursions generally cost a little more than the cheap/basic versions.  

 

Glad you have Australia and New Zealand at the TOP of your future bucket list.  Having done much there in 2014, I am happy to share more specifics and suggestions.  My "Top Tip" for this region is to allow enough time down there.  If you do a cruise, that can be a great way to sample many key areas.  BUT, as we did, it worked out so well to do added locations in Australia (Kangaroo Island and Great Barrier Reef) before departing from Sydney and then having added time after our cruise ended in Auckland.  Given the long travel times, you ideally need three to four weeks for exploring in these areas.  That's why we waited until after my wife retired to attempt this length of an in-depth "adventure".   Keep researching, planning and dreaming!!

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Terry, I know exactly what you mean...….price wise.  I have a savings account I use for travel...….I don't want it to run out LOL

SS and various other lines are definitely more $$$$…….I have a lot of things to consider.   I actually found a cruise for Sept 2020 on Windstar and it has been one I have REALLY been wanting to do so I may go ahead and put a deposit down on it.

It is called BELLS OF BRITISH ISLES for 10 nights.  I have had that on my radar for a couple of years......could not go this year and so...…...I will contact Windstar this week.   As for going downunder? I want to be able to do that without "worrying about a timeframe".....if I need to take 3.5 weeks? I want to do it without concerns of "missing work for that long"...…...if that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lois, we look forward to meeting you "downunder" in the next year or two!

This year  friends we met at a CC meet an mingle on Regent were on a round Australia cruise.  We picked them up from Geelong and had the day showing them around our part of the world.  It’s fun to catch up with people you have met in your travels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi again, well, UNIWORLD is having a special of NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENT on the Venice cruise in OCT...….they are holding a cabin for me for 72 hours.  So I will know something this week:classic_biggrin:....it is great price really.  And it is even a French Balcony too.

My flight will cost a pretty penny but since the cruise is so low, I will probably get a Business Class ticket for the flight.

Will keep you all posted!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi again, well, UNIWORLD is having a special of NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENT on the Venice cruise in OCT...….they are holding a cabin for me for 72 hours.  So I will know something this week:classic_biggrin:....it is great price really.  And it is even a French Balcony too.

My flight will cost a pretty penny but since the cruise is so low, I will probably get a Business Class ticket for the flight.

Will keep you all posted!!!

 

Just book it Lois! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

 

Just book it Lois! 😀

 

Agree! Uniworld is comparable to a certain cruise line that we can't discuss, and we know how Lois feels about them. I would be tempted to do this Uniworld itinerary, but we are busy planning the Portugal trip this November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok friends...

 

I looked at the calendar this morning and marked the days off in October😁so tonight I will put the deposit down!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 12:57 PM, Lois R said:

Terry, I know exactly what you mean...….price wise.  I have a savings account I use for travel...….I don't want it to run out LOL   SS and various other lines are definitely more $$$$…….I have a lot of things to consider.   I actually found a cruise for Sept 2020 on Windstar and it has been one I have REALLY been wanting to do so I may go ahead and put a deposit down on it.  It is called BELLS OF BRITISH ISLES for 10 nights.  I have had that on my radar for a couple of years......could not go this year and so...…...I will contact Windstar this week.   As for going downunder? I want to be able to do that without "worrying about a timeframe".....if I need to take 3.5 weeks? I want to do it without concerns of "missing work for that long"...…...if that makes sense.

 

Great to hear, Lois, that you are moving ahead.  Not having an extra charge for traveling as a single helps much.  YES, going "down under" does works best when you have the time flexibilities to maximize your travel and experiences in Australia and New Zealand.  Both are large, diverse locations with so many wonderful options to see and do.  Nice offer from jillyf!!

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 63,658 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one Lois. Echoing Terrys thoughts on the extra time to enjoy it all.

I’m Distressed at the mo that we might have to fly straight back from Vancouver after our June Muse around Alaska without getting to see the Rockies and visit lake Louise. The O.H. Is Being made redundant and is opening his own T.A. Looks like opening day is going to be 1st July so need to get back straight off the cruise which ends on the 27th. Still, it leaves another plan for the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A shame about that, DW. We finally got to Banff and Lake Louise just last year. Alaska is great, have been twice, but honestly Banff may be more beautiful. And I'm not just saying that to placate mysty... 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hehe, I remember your beautiful pics JP and that’s half of the reason I got onto the idea. Very exciting times though and hopefully worth the sacrifice in the long run. I’m busily designing his brand and shop at the mo. We’ve found suitable premises so things are well underway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, ok....have my deposit down now.:classic_smile:....I did decide to save myself over 2grand and went for a window cabin.  The balcony is really not needed on a river cruise.  

 

Now, I have to look at flights and a hotel...….part of the adventure.:classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi friends..

Did you see the sad news on the announcement page on here? Host Walt passed away😥he was always around when I posted on The Celebrity forum and I know he loved wine

Sending my heartfelt condolences to his family and May He Rest In Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lois, I didn't see that but thanks for letting us know. I only look at the Xpedition boards on Celebrity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Friday to all of you.:classic_smile:

 

I am starting to look at flights for my Oct cruise. I guess it is never too early and if I find a price I am happy with? Time to research it this weekend. It is 5 months away and you never know if the prices will go further up or down. Would yo agree with my reasoning? Not sure how the European itineraries vary. My last 2 flights to Europe were booked with the cruise line:classic_biggrin:.....you know who.  I can't find prices that low for business class this time but I am seeing about going that way anyway!  It is so nice to have a seat that becomes a full bed:classic_smile:

 

Have a good day ya'll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more question...(maybe LOL)……..JP, your Beekman recommendation was spot on...…...do you have a favorite VENICE hotel?

I stayed at The Bauer last summer and am starting to look at hotels again as well.  I may stay there but want to give a look around at some other options.

 

Thanks:classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 7:27 PM, jpalbny said:

We finally got to Banff and Lake Louise just last year. Alaska is great, have been twice, but honestly Banff may be more beautiful. And I'm not just saying that to placate mysty... 😉

 

Looking forward, J.P., in testing and checking your viewpoint that the Banff/Lake Louise areas are more beautiful and impressive than what we will see in doing the Alaska areas while sailing on the Silver Muse up from Vancouver to Alaska.  Real research??  Scientific challenges??  Should be fun!!  Am aiming to do a live/blog here on the Silversea boards with many visuals.  As we do these areas for the first time, there will be lots to see and experience, including doing the Rocky Mountaineer rail trip from Jasper to Vancouver.  Any others have good and smart sharing for the best tips, suggestions and secrets when exploring these dramatic and super scenic areas?

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lois R said:

One more question...(maybe LOL)……..JP, your Beekman recommendation was spot on...…...do you have a favorite VENICE hotel?

I stayed at The Bauer last summer and am starting to look at hotels again as well.  I may stay there but want to give a look around at some other options.

 

Thanks:classic_biggrin:

Lois look at the JW Marriott...its on a private island and just gorgeous

Edited by spinnaker2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 8:15 PM, Lois R said:

I did decide to save myself over 2 grand and went for a window cabin.  The balcony is really not needed on a river cruise.  Now, I have to look at flights and a hotel...….part of the adventure.:classic_smile:

 

Agree on your smart decision to save the $2K and skip the balcony.  On smaller ships doing these river cruises, it is fairly ease, in general, to get from your room to the open, public areas with good views on both sides of the ship.  

 

As to Venice and hotels, good luck in finding where to stay.  Price can be high and costs vary much.  My suggestion would be to use the web searches, get something reasonable with a decent location booked now.  Then, check back and see if you can find a better "deal" and/or location as you get closer to your travel time.  Lots of small, charming hotels in Venice.  For location, being handy but away from the tourist masses can be interesting and good.  As you can tell by my thread linked below, Venice is one of my super favorite cities in the world.  So charming, historic and fascinating!!  BUT, at times, over-run and challenged by too many visitors.  Be sure in Venice to explore around, try to get lost, discover unique parts of this special location, etc.  

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 82,030 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lois R said:

One more question...(maybe LOL)……..JP, your Beekman recommendation was spot on...…...do you have a favorite VENICE hotel?

I stayed at The Bauer last summer and am starting to look at hotels again as well.  I may stay there but want to give a look around at some other options.

 

Thanks:classic_biggrin:

 

Sorry Lois, we have never stayed in a hotel in Venice so I can't help you there. 

 

I would definitely start looking at airline prices, and if you see something that you like, buy it now. IME this is the sweet spot - 4-6 months out for international flights seems to be a good time to look for tickets, if you are paying $$ for them. If you want to book with miles, then you have to snag them as soon as they are available.

 

If you are going to be flying internationally once a year or more, and you want to fly in business class, look into getting the AMEX Platinum card. I've bought airline tickets through them for the last two years, and they have always saved me about $500 per ticket, compared to the best price I can ever find elsewhere. It makes the $550 annual fee worth it, if I'm saving $1000 per trip multiple times per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 12:53 AM, Daveywavey70 said:

 

DW...thanks for sending your greeting to me via a fellow passenger on the WC.  It was delivered to me this morning.  🙂  Thanks for thinking of me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...