Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Lois look at the JW Marriott...its on a private island and just gorgeous

Amen to that!  A completely different experience than being smack dab in the middle of the canals, but it’s a fantastic property with their own private transportation to town.

1 minute ago, Stumblefoot said:

Amen to that!  A completely different experience than being smack dab in the middle of the canals, but it’s a fantastic property with their own private transportation to town.

Yes Stumble, I stayed there!

It was fabulous

the roof deck at sunset was breathtaking.

• Like 1

Yes davey

here is another photo from the pool, also located on the roof.

I think the property is a wonderful venue.

they have their own launch which takes you to the city, and then you can come back to a private retreat, fresh air, no crowds.

deck3.thumb.JPG.d36aa35c2091df53eb0651d6c6711703.JPG

I just got off Uniworld Tulips & windmills cruise, we had a window cabin, glad we didn't pay more. The ship, unless you are on the top deck, all you see from your cabin is another ship or the cement wall of the port. There were so many tours that the only time in the cabin was to change clothes and sleep. It was exhausting but enjoyable.

River Cruises are always "on the go"....I did that same cruise with AMA (they call it Tulip Time) and I LOVED it:classic_smile:

Yes, I am happy I booked a window and will be just fine.

I booked a room at that Marriott:classic_biggrin:....looks REALLY nice on line. 

Too tired to try and do the flights tonight. *thought I found one and then it was gone when I actually tried to book. So I will sit down tomorrow or Sunday and look again.

Feeling heartbroken tonight. Just watched the first half of a documentary on the BBC that a dear, dear friend of mine, Maurice the singing landlord,  is in about a Dementia choir. It reminds me that life can be so cruel and we all need to seize every single opportunity that every single day offers us. It's not often that I get maudlin but one of the most beautiful souls that I have ever met in my life is not in good shape right now. My friends, Never waste a moment, never waste a day, never waste an opportunity. Life's too short to deny yourself your dreams.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Feeling heartbroken tonight. Just watched the first half of a documentary on the BBC that a dear, dear friend of mine, Maurice the singing landlord,  is in about a Dementia choir. It reminds me that life can be so cruel and we all need to seize every single opportunity that every single day offers us. It's not often that I get maudlin but one of the most beautiful souls that I have ever met in my life is not in good shape right now. My friends, Never waste a moment, never waste a day, never waste an opportunity. Life's too short to deny yourself your dreams.

Davey, so sorry about your friend. I know of what you speak. When my Daddy passed away he had that horrible disease.

Sending you a ((((((((((((((hug))))))))))) across the pond.   

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

I booked a room at that Marriott:classic_biggrin:....looks REALLY nice on line.

Great pictures from Spins.  Sad about the Dementia challenges/situation.  Glad Lois has an initial booking done for Venice.  BUT, there are lots of "local" places with much more Venice character, style and connection to consider, too.  Marriotts are "comfortable" and expected American, however, a more Italian experience can also be fun and interesting.  Be sure to check back and consider other options, see if you gain better pricing, etc.  

For Lois, Jacksonville is BIG, BIG in the news this morning with that 737 military transport jet sliding off of the runway in your town.  Fortunately, no fatalities.  But, major questions as to what happened and how.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 63,666 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Good morning......Terry,  it was on the news here all night.  Out of all that happened...…...no big injuries and no fatalities so that is all good.  But yes, they are going to have to find out "what the hell happened"!!!!

And yes, it is not your "local hotel" but it sure does look beautiful:classic_smile:

24 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning......Terry,  it was on the news here all night.  Out of all that happened...…...no big injuries and no fatalities so that is all good.  But yes, they are going to have to find out "what the hell happened"!!!!

And yes, it is not your "local hotel" but it sure does look beautiful:classic_smile:

I think you will find it an amazing place. The island was the site of a TB hospital and the grounds are lovely. It is not a cookie cutter Marriott at all.

The original hospital building has been preserved. 

There is a large vegetable garden and greenhouse. A church. 

The views of Venice are stunning and you are just a boat ride away when you want to immerse yourself in the crowds. When you want some respite from the heat and the throngs you can sit in the garden and enjoy the breezes. 

Edited by spinnaker2

Me again, so...……..I booked my flights.  Flying from Jax to Philly and then directly to Venice......nice only 1 stop going.

Coming home? Venice to Heathrow...….then to Dallas and then home.  I tried to get something else but the connection time from landing and the next flight (back the states) was only 55 minutes. I didn't want to

risk that.....so, now I have a 3 hour layover.  I was trying to get home...here......around 7pm. Now I get home near 10:00.  Oh well.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

YES!!!  "Beautiful" can be excellent, also.  There are pro/con factors as to whether it is better or worse to be close to the "action" and more people "scene" of Venice.  Or, to relax and enjoy some R&R??  Glad that things are coming together with your flights.  Getting to and from Venice with a minimum number of stops or plane changes can be challenging.  Lois summed it well about the Jacksonville jet incident by asking "what the hell happened!!!!"

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 82,047 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Spins, thanks for sharing more pics of the JW.  It truly is a special place and so uniquely different than being “in the middle” of the action.  Seeing your pics, along with the wide open business class award availability on AA between Philly and Bologna, tempts me to book something for the fall right now.

Does anyone here know how long the weather typically holds out (warm/sunny) in Venice, the Cinque Terre, and the lakes region in the fall?

We were in Venice for 4 weeks last October.  We rented an apartment away from the busiest tourist trails.   We found that it was easy to find areas away from the crowds although the vaporettos were crowded from mid morning till mid afternoon.   Venice is easy to walk to most places though. 

We were lucky with the weather, except for Aqua Alta.

I just looked at our blog to see what I was wearing.  At the beginning of the month I had T-shirt’s and cardigans at night, then later in the month it was light knit tops during the day with a light jacket at night. 

My husband wore T-shirts at first, then rugby tops.  One day towards the end of the month it was 23C (78F) apparently a record. 

We had a few days with foggy mornings which were very pretty around the canals. 

From the 4th November for a week we were in Bologna and I had my down jacket on most days and I imagine that it would be similar in Venice or the Lakes. 

That Marriot hotel looks wonderful.  Lois, how long will you have there before your cruise?  I’m envious!

• Like 1

Good morning folks.  Jilly, I am only arriving 1 day early this trip.  I fly out on a Friday and arrive the next morning on Saturday.

The cruise sails on Sunday.  I would have gone 2 days early but It all has to do with "Vacation time".  I want to take the Monday off after I get home so that is another day. I will have used all my other days up before this trip.  (work just keeps getting in the way:classic_unsure:).….LOL