To AFT or not to AFT

Aft cabins are the worse. On some ships it can be as much as a 1/2 a mile walk to your cabin. The smokestack constantly spits soot all over the balcony. The motion will throw you off the bed in the middle of the night. Noise from the chair scrapers above will drive you mad and what's that crazy noise below (Haven't figured that one out). I've lost many a glass of water to that horrible vibration.

They are soo bad that they are usually the last cabins choosen.

It would be best to leave them to us experienced Afters.....[emoji41]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

LOL...figured you would chime in on this one. :D:cool:;)

Yes, please. Those of you worried about booking an aft cabin...don't do it...awful just awful.

Elbow to elbow on the front railing trying to see the glacier on Radiance..not fun.

Sitting on our aft wrap balcony 9256 with views from both sides, and that perfect view at sail away from there...with a glass of wine and a cheese plate....priceless. :cool::D

Views down the inland waterways from both sides, bright stars at night and lots of light coming into the cabin during the day...with a B2B in the same cabin....even better! :hearteyes::D

I can't help it....

Got 1100 on Brilliance in a couple of weeks for the TA. Yippee Ki Yay!

Ooooh...Sweet Suite!! :D Congrats!! :D Wonderful itinerary with that making it so much more special!

Doing B2B Vision PR in 8588, and have Rhapsody 8596 booked two more times coming up. :hearteyes:

While we're on this subject, we're finally thinking of a trip on one of the Oasis-class ships and looking at CLS's on Allure. It's about $600 less to get one aft. We're fine with the movement (actually, we'd like if the ships move a little more, otherwise it's just a fancy hotel with a view), and we can live with the distance (our last trip was an awesome aft corner Sky Suite on Celebrity Equinox and appreciated the reduced traffic outside the door).

My specific question is if the soot is particularly bad on Oasis-class, or simply about what you'd expect, and what's the noise and commotion factor from the Aqua Theater? Or if the noise and commotion is irrelevant as you'll be hiding out in the Suite Lounge at those times?

I want to see the stars.....

We've seen plenty of stars from mid-ship. Just have to stay up late or get up really early and have a clear sky.

Was that 1600? We're doing Alaska in 2020, and assuming Radiance is still there, that's the cabin I plan to book. I've read some people find the layout weird, and the balcony not great, but it's the perfect location for us.

Yes our aft suite was 1600, really wanted this cabin, somebody else had it then it opened up about 6 months before sailing and we grabbed it. Not a huge balcony but great corner aft.

While we're on this subject, we're finally thinking of a trip on one of the Oasis-class ships and looking at CLS's on Allure. It's about $600 less to get one aft. We're fine with the movement (actually, we'd like if the ships move a little more, otherwise it's just a fancy hotel with a view), and we can live with the distance (our last trip was an awesome aft corner Sky Suite on Celebrity Equinox and appreciated the reduced traffic outside the door).

My specific question is if the soot is particularly bad on Oasis-class, or simply about what you'd expect, and what's the noise and commotion factor from the Aqua Theater? Or if the noise and commotion is irrelevant as you'll be hiding out in the Suite Lounge at those times?

We've seen plenty of stars from mid-ship. Just have to stay up late or get up really early and have a clear sky.

CLS isnt aft unless you think backside of VCL is aft. AquaTheater suites are the only aft cabins. Not much of a soot issue on Oasis. I have seen Carnival funnels pointed right into CLS in port. [emoji33]

Rear facing CLS get noise from basketball court

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you are going through the canal, aft is perfect, you can see it out on the deck, how the locks really work, no need to go up and fight the crowds and only see one side. You get a 180 degree + view, and close up of the locks. We have done it twice, for us that is the only way to do it. Long walk though.

We had a corner aft on Serenade. Wonderful view. We enjoyed sitting on the loungers, looking at the stars and enjoying a glass of wine. Yes, the walk got long but would do it again.

Aft cabins are always our first choice. I don't mind the walk. In fact, I welcome it. There is no noise from the corridor and is very private. There is nothing better than drinking wine on a lounge chair while watching and listening to the wake. The few times we have experienced soot, the cabin attendant always cleaned it thoroughly and left pool towels in the room just in case. Love aft cabins!

Allyson

Don't count on seeing too many stars on a cruise ship, they are lit up like Christmas trees.

The view from the helo pad is usually pretty good.;)

Biker, who almost tripped on someone laying in the H on Freedom due being so dark.

:cool:

We'll leave a note with the cabin attendant :Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677:-)

I had been conversing with another CC member some years ago. They had 9256 right after us on Radiance. I left the rest of my coupons for shore tours for them under the felt mat in the safe. She got them. :cool:

Depends, as said. On Vision Class I'd always take an aft cabin, especially the 2 corners. HUGE balconies! We've had 10 adults on the balcony easily with room for probably 10 more. In Alaska or the Baltics/ Norway, so well worth the view. As for other classes, not so sure I'd do aft. Freedom class has quite a bit of superstructure back there.

Draw backs, you can get some vibration. It's a long walk everywhere. It can get hot on the balcony as there may be no wind, and it's possible to get some "stack gas" smell and ash (although we never experienced any). So, for me, depends on the ship and somewhat the itinerary. If Vision Class and a scenic itinerary, I'd do aft balcony every time.

We just did our first aft balcony - had corner aft junior suite on Rhapsody . Probably my favourite cabin to date. Amazing balcony.

A little more vibration felt when the ship reached a certain speed , but nothing annoying.

I would book this again tomorrow .

Would need to do research on aft cabins on other classes before booking . I couldn't stick that cabin pictured at the beginning of this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That might be better from a port JS

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

But they wouldn't have seen this.....

Also from 7688 docked in Sydney.

f44ae333327120c76fed3b68779922bd.jpg

Of course you don't have to look through the large port hole.....

efa6d4f849280da86bf4b5914b3c32b0.jpg

Edited by Beachammo

The view from the helo pad is usually pretty good.;)

Biker, who almost tripped on someone laying in the H on Freedom due being so dark.

True dat. Spent several evenings on Adventure out there enjoying the stars. Had it not been for CC, it might never have crossed my mind. Certainly didn't when we sailed Liberty.

As to the OP, we have our first booked on Freedom for next fall (2019), and looking forward to it. The walk won't bother us at all. We sailed Anthem and Adventure in far forward balconies, and never thought twice about the walk.

Don't discount the benefits of walking, either. Three days in NYC, followed by a b2b on Adventure, and my wife and I both only gained a pound each! We attribute that in no small part to all of the walking, both onboard and in port.

Thanks everyone....some of these made me chuckle.

Next booking when I have the specific ship, I will ask again.

The walk isn't an issue nor movement. A little concerned with soot.

Our only aft, Jewel last May, no soot problems, I have heard of that in the past. Scrubbers and low sulphur fuel has fixed?