This is new to me

We haven’t been on RCCL in many years. I didn’t realize you can book everything you want to do online cheaper than on board. The agent from RCCL was telling me it is less before boarding. She mentioned specialty dining specifically. I just booked the alcohol plan because it’s on sale. I think all cruise lines should do this.

All businesses will put things on sale in order to move product when they need to and they hope that they don't need to. That Royal has to do this when other cruise lines don't indicates something, although I'm not exactly sure what that is since I'm still new to Royal.

All businesses will put things on sale in order to move product when they need to and they hope that they don't need to. That Royal has to do this when other cruise lines don't indicates something, although I'm not exactly sure what that is since I'm still new to Royal.

Royal wants money sooner rather than later.

To a point, sure, but if they cut the price too much there is no way to earn it back in interest.

You're assuming everyone who buys pre-cruise would also have bought onboard. They probably have marketing experts who know exactly the percentage of guests who would not purchase onboard but are motivated by the word "sale" and purchase pre-cruise.

You're assuming everyone who buys pre-cruise would also have bought onboard. They probably have marketing experts who know exactly the percentage of guests who would not purchase onboard but are motivated by the word "sale" and purchase pre-cruise.

Absolutely a marketing tactic. Anyone assuming RCI is doing it for any other reason doesn't understand that. Seeing "sale" in writing is a much stronger motivator than someone just saying it in person and people tend to think they need to grab that "sale" before it disappears.

Just makes it better for those of us who would so I'm good with it in any case.:)

Talking to C & A. Advised to watch for sales starting on Fridays. Sure enough, drink package went on sale, bought it. Following week, on sales again, lower price, so cancelled and bought the lower price. Worked out to 4 drinks a day. A darn good deal.

How far out is your cruise. Mine is still showing the sale price of $50.00
Check the prices again on Labor Day, as RCCL tends to have sales around major shopping holidays. Once you see the price you want (and $42 is as low as it goes for a drink package) call RCCL and they will cancel the old purchase and charge you the new price. No need to persuade them - this is a common request and they do it gladly! Another way to save money on the drink package is to do the drink + internet combo package, which also goes on sale occaisionlly. Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

How far out is your cruise. Mine is still showing the sale price of $50.00

I have an October cruise and it's $42. So it clearly appears to be cruise specific pricing and possibly based on a variety of factors like days before sailing.

I show pricing of $42 right now for my upcoming sailing. They definitely have good sales pretty often for the drink packages. $42 is a great price.

drink-package.png

Yes it is. I'm 231 days from sailing and the beverage package isn't sale-ing for me yet;).

Absolutely a marketing tactic. Anyone assuming RCI is doing it for any other reason doesn't understand that. Seeing "sale" in writing is a much stronger motivator than someone just saying it in person and people tend to think they need to grab that "sale" before it disappears.

But they do have actual sales with pretty substantial savings from what I've seen. I believe it has more to do with locking in people. It's about constantly marketing to the guest, once they are on board, that's your last chance to try and get the purchase. So you start early and often to boost your overall sales of drink packages.

I show pricing of $42 right now for my upcoming sailing. They definitely have good sales pretty often for the drink packages. $42 is a great price.

drink-package.png

They are also offering me 20% off but my price is $50 plus gratuity What a joke. I won’t even entertain that offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are also offering me 20% off but my price is $50 plus gratuity What a joke. I won’t even entertain that offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is one thing I really don't like about Royal, is their fake and misleading sales. Some sales are really good, like we got an $800 credit by calling and taking advantage of a kids sale free promotion, and we were already booked at a good rate. And obviously the drink packages are a great price for us. But 20% for us should be the same as 20% for you.

NCL does the same nonsense with their misleading marketing. I think it's only Carnival that seems to be consistent and open from my experience.

To be fair, though, you won't get Cheers on Carnival for less than $50. So even $50 is a decent price competitively speaking.