Man overboard on Norwegian Star

Seafoam Sally

The insurance is an interesting point . I’ve just had a look at my annual policy and I don’t think I’d be covered for delayed arrival resulting in missing flights. If I upgraded to “premiere cover” then I would be covered for up to £1000 per person I think. The one time I had to have flights the same day as arrival / departure of the ship I booked the flights through the cruise line so I could be sure that any problems with either the flights or the ship departure / arrival would be covered by the cruise line.

My worldwide annual travel insurance covers upto £5000 per person If ship was delayed into port for missed flights... it’s a 5 star defaqto policy and with cruise add on.

I do feel sorry for those that are not covered though. I hope NCL might be forgiving in the circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The passengers who boarded the Star missed out on a day of their cruise as they boarded at 10pm, missed out on one of their ports as their itinerary was changed to a day at sea yesterday and have been given $50 dollars per person as compensation......

Back to the point.

The rules about what you are entitled to in this case are country dependent (the EU is treated as a country for this). The main issue for EU bookers is that you are entitled to be re-booked on another flight and provided with accommodation if required only if you have booked both flight and cruise as one package. If you book your flights yourself you have very little redress with either cruise company or airline. Being an EU regulation it is more complicated than that because if you booked your flight separately from the cruise via a travel agent and you did both at the same time, you are treated as though they are linked and you are entitled to assistance if the cruise is either coming from or to an EU port.

Most insurance policies have lots of information about missing your holiday at the start because of delays getting to the departure port, but presumably because very few cruises are badly delayed back in port by jumpers there is very little about cover in those cases. The amount of delay is apparently important and for a 7-day cruise a delay of a "few" hours is not considered relevant in a lot of cases. The fact that you may have to re-organise complex return flights etc is left pretty well ignored and you are largely on your own.

Putting yourself is NCL's position for a bit, it is clear that most of their workers and effort is going to be spent looking after the passengers for whom they have direct responsibility. The key is to make sure you are in that group! This particular event will have disrupted the best part of 5,000 travel plans coming and going with half of them having to be dealt with before the ship docked and was released with most of the staff needed for this still at sea and those few staff on land having to provide some sort of food, drink and cover from the sun for the next lot of passengers while they wait for the ship. The other 2,500 people and probably the better part of 5,000 cases or so then arrived and needed to be got away with no flights booked or now available because the aircraft have departed without them. Not an easy thing thing to do.

The bottom line surrounding what can be done or what compensation can be received is that since this sort of situation happens so rarely, there is probably no small print covering what is or what is not due so apart from those covered by EU travel Regulations for those on linked packages and those with insurance policies that cover this situation, most will be on their own in new territory. The problem then is that getting money from an un-married unemployed ex-pat air hostess is unlikely to yield much cash, even if you win your case!

The passengers who boarded the Star missed out on a day of their cruise as they boarded at 10pm, missed out on one of their ports as their itinerary was changed to a day at sea yesterday and have been given $50 dollars per person as compensation......

So we can start her tab at $100,000.

Irena Hrstic, director of Pula’s City Hospital, said Ms Longstaff had refused to release a statement because she “can’t understand why there is so much interest for her”.

I am sure she will have a sudden change of heart when tabloid and TV come calling with check book in hand. In the mean time, everyone should pick up yoga and singing. They apparently can give you special magic power in tight situation.

My worldwide annual travel insurance covers upto £5000 per person If ship was delayed into port for missed flights... it’s a 5 star defaqto policy and with cruise add on.

I do feel sorry for those that are not covered though. I hope NCL might be forgiving in the circumstances.

Are you able to share who that policy is with?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you able to share who that policy is with?

It’s one through my bank. (I think it’s underwritten by axa but the terms don’t match the standard axa terms) I had to claim last year for a delayed return to port and missed flight hence I know it pays upto £5000 per person for the added return flight (minus £40 excess!) had no problems claiming either...

Whilst I have no wish to spread "false news" I have read in the UK press that she is no longer an air hostess - although she did previously work for Virgin Atlantic

Still apparently doing the air hostess bit (for now anyway) but not with Virgin - doing it on small business jets according to reports.

It’s one through my bank. (I think it’s underwritten by axa but the terms don’t match the standard axa terms) I had to claim last year for a delayed return to port and missed flight hence I know it pays upto £5000 per person for the added return flight (minus £40 excess!) had no problems claiming either...

Sounds like we have the same policy!

Thanks

Whats the latest? Any idea when the pics from the ships cameras are going to be made public?

Never. Why would the cruise line release them. They have them, they know how she went over board. She knows how she went overboard. No one else matters much. The only other groups that would get access is the law enforcement and regulatory authorities if they need access for an investigation and courts in case of a legal action.

Never. Why would the cruise line release them. They have them, they know how she went over board. She knows how she went overboard. No one else matters much. The only other groups that would get access is the law enforcement and regulatory authorities if they need access for an investigation and courts in case of a legal action.

Will we at least get some sort of statement from NCL in regards to this incident?

Why would you need a statement from NCL?

There is precedence for a cruise line to make a public statement about an overboard incident, particularly if there's any controversy or suspected malfeasance involved. Also, it's probably in NCL's best interest to publicize it if she jumped, as opposed to fell, if only to ensure that potential cruisers won't be afraid to cruise for fear that it's easy to "fall off" this ship.

I too highly doubt that they will publicly release actual video or photos, especially if any legal actions or insurance claims result. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if they issued some kind of press release after the investigation is complete, to get the word out that there was no culpability on NCL's part, and ensure everyone that their ship is safe.

Why would you need a statement from NCL?
I think the more appropriate question is, "Why would NCL need to release a statement?". What would be in it for them to say any more? Rest assured, unless there is something in it for them, they won't be saying anything more.

There is precedence for a cruise line to make a public statement about an overboard incident, particularly if there's any controversy or suspected malfeasance involved. Also, it's probably in NCL's best interest to publicize it if she jumped, as opposed to fell, if only to ensure that potential cruisers won't be afraid to cruise for fear that it's easy to "fall off" this ship.

I too highly doubt that they will publicly release actual video or photos, especially if any legal actions or insurance claims result. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if they issued some kind of press release after the investigation is complete, to get the word out that there was no culpability on NCL's part, and ensure everyone that their ship is safe.

I'm sure that something will come out eventually. But for the most part, people will not give this a second thought especially here on CC where the next tipping debacle will take center stage.

For most people, this is just morbid curiosity on a slow news day.

I like most rational people following this thread am intrigued and want more details. Somehow I do not think we have all the facts and we are still waiting to hear the rest of the story.

Agree that many people are intrigued by this story and want more details - but I expect we will not get a whole lot more detail. We may ultimately get a confirmation whether she jumped or fell, but that's probably about it.

Unless, of course, she herself does what many suspect she will do, and grab her 15 minutes to share her "miraculous" rescue. But then we really won't know how accurate her story is, will we?

For the record, those who are questioning whether or not it even happened are simply wrong. She DID go in the water, and she DID float for 10 hours until she was rescued. Anyone who is thinking there's "more to this story" in terms of did it even happen, are heading down a conspiracy-theory rabbit hole.

The fact that she didn't look completely incapacitated has already been discussed, and is completely explainable without theories involving alien abductions or 10-hour trips to a desert island. The deck is not that high - I've jumped from taller heights than that. The water was bath-water warm. And the seas were flat. It's really not that hard to stay afloat for that long in those conditions, especially considering her overall fitness and health. So those conversations are kind of a waste of time. There's no doubt she went in the water, floated, was rescued.

The only issues in question are how and why. And of course, what she's going to do next. :) That should be interesting to see!

I'm sure that something will come out eventually. But for the most part, people will not give this a second thought especially here on CC where the next tipping debacle will take center stage.

For most people, this is just morbid curiosity on a slow news day.

HA! Yup, I fully agree. ;)

Ok, but she still had to be an excellent swimmer, or held on to a board, or treaded water for 10 hours. She had to take some action to stay alive, so maybe not suicidal, maybe not drunk......

They say the trick is to float, not tread water or swim.