Cheers to $20 max drink?

JaxsMama

When NCL lowered their max dollar amount, they increased the price of all drinks. Certain high end drinks were no longer covered...

So I'm expecting drink prices to increase as well...

I'm betting on it!!

What's the increase that everyone is expecting? For example a $15 drink going up to say $20 and a penny? Or something greater such as an $11 - $12 drink not qualifying?

We called Carnival and the rep said that you probably won't be able to pay the difference between the max Cheers price of $20 and the final price for an expensive drink like you can with NCL.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers%21-beverage-program

It's a 25% discount

25 percent discount off the menu price for any spirit, cocktail or wine by the glass, costing above $20 USD per serving

Sent from my LM-G710 using Forums mobile app

When NCL lowered their max dollar amount, they increased the price of all drinks. Certain high end drinks were no longer covered...

This is exactly the concern.

On NCL middle of the road drinks are now going up several dollars a drink in order to no longer be included. Each of my last 2 cruises I have lost a standard drink to it having its price jacked up several dollars in the last year to make it not eligible.

So this move is 100% a precursor to raising prices to eliminate items, and possibly also adding more high end choices to add more revenue. Otherwise they would not have altered their marketing gimmick and incurred the negative attention.

The article that I read on Cruise Fever says that drinks over $20 will come at a 25% discount
Everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over nothing. I have not heard of a single drink on Carnival that is over 20.00 and under 50.00. There is a cognac in the Steakhouse that is 60.00 and a glass of champagne there that is 20.00. Grey Goose VX and Roca Patron have both been quoted as being 17.00. There aren't even any high end bourbons over 20.00 at the Pig & Anchor on the Horizon.

I will have first hand experience starting on Wednesday morning when Cheers kicks in on day two.

Everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over nothing. I have not heard of a single drink on Carnival that is over 20.00 and under 50.00. There is a cognac in the Steakhouse that is 60.00 and a glass of champagne there that is 20.00. Grey Goose VX and Roca Patron have both been quoted as being 17.00. There aren't even any high end bourbons over 20.00 at the Pig & Anchor on the Horizon.

I will have first hand experience starting on Wednesday morning when Cheers kicks in on day two.

Amen. Thank you!!

There are only two liquors remotely close to 20.00. It's Grey Goose VX and Roca Patron, each at 17.00. There are zero liquors currently between 20-50, so the policy change means nothing at this point unless Carnival starts adding more high end stuff and charges over 20.00 for it. Probably will not happen because the average Carnival cruiser is only drinking the expensive stuff to get more value for their Cheers expenditure. If it does it'll be only a few items like the two I mentioned. You can't even get them at all of the bars, so only those in the know even have an idea that higher end options are available.

If you expect the worst, your dreams may come true. NCL is the king of nickel and diming their clients to death. There are no facts to that wold suggest that Carnival would implement this and then raise prices. It has Area 51 and building 7 written all over it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

https://cruisefever.net/carnival-cruise-line-makes-change-to-the-cheers-beverage-program/

The package includes the following drinks:

• All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer, wine and champagne by the glass, with a $20 USD or lower menu price per serving
  • Sodas (including specialty sodas), Zero-Proof frozen cocktails (including smoothies) and juices
  • Specialty coffees and hot tea served in the main dining rooms, specialty restaurants and coffee bars
    Milkshakes, where applicable
  • RockStar energy drinks, Powerade, Vitamin Water, Coconut Water and Honest Tea
  • 500ml bottled water and other non-alcoholic bottled beverages served in bars and lounges
  • Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for any spirit, cocktail or wine by the glass, costing above $20 USD per serving
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle
  • 25 percent discount off beverage seminars and classes

https://cruisefever.net/carnival-cruise-line-makes-change-to-the-cheers-beverage-program/

The package includes the following drinks:

• All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer, wine and champagne by the glass, with a $20 USD or lower menu price per serving
  • Sodas (including specialty sodas), Zero-Proof frozen cocktails (including smoothies) and juices
  • Specialty coffees and hot tea served in the main dining rooms, specialty restaurants and coffee bars
    Milkshakes, where applicable
  • RockStar energy drinks, Powerade, Vitamin Water, Coconut Water and Honest Tea
  • 500ml bottled water and other non-alcoholic bottled beverages served in bars and lounges
  • Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for any spirit, cocktail or wine by the glass, costing above $20 USD per serving
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle
  • 25 percent discount off beverage seminars and classes

As I have mentioned in other threads, your statements about current pricing are correct. Today. Who knows about tomorrow?

If you expect the worst, your dreams may come true. NCL is the king of nickel and diming their clients to death. There are no facts to that wold suggest that Carnival would implement this and then raise prices. It has Area 51 and building 7 written all over it.

Well, before this lowering-of-threshold, there was no indication or facts that said Carnival was going to do so, was there? They did this for a reason (it costs money to make any change, no matter how slight - meetings, approvals, reviews, etc), and if there is essentially nothing right now on the drink menu that would be affected, why did they bother? My suspicions are that the drinks that were $15 to $17 are going to have "price adjustments to reflect current market conditions" and suddenly be $20.95.

I hope I am wrong, though for the most part it won't affect me unless the Alchemy Bar drinks suddenly go above $20, so I'm not whinging about it, per se. Just trying to think through the logical conclusions of what other changes are likely to follow as a result.

When did Cheers change from a $50 max drink to $20 max? I've never found a drink that expensive but I was hoping one day I would find that extra expensive glass of champs.

Don't if/when or how much the limit is, but most lines have a max cause some whiskeys are up there!

There are only two liquors remotely close to 20.00. It's Grey Goose VX and Roca Patron, each at 17.00. There are zero liquors currently between 20-50, so the policy change means nothing at this point unless Carnival starts adding more high end stuff and charges over 20.00 for it. Probably will not happen because the average Carnival cruiser is only drinking the expensive stuff to get more value for their Cheers expenditure. If it does it'll be only a few items like the two I mentioned. You can't even get them at all of the bars, so only those in the know even have an idea that higher end options are available.

Don't drink whiskey, but there are a few Johnny Walker colors that are quite expensive per shot, Blue/Gold, etc. if they're available!

As I have mentioned in other threads, your statements about current pricing are correct. Today. Who knows about tomorrow?

Well, before this lowering-of-threshold, there was no indication or facts that said Carnival was going to do so, was there? They did this for a reason (it costs money to make any change, no matter how slight - meetings, approvals, reviews, etc), and if there is essentially nothing right now on the drink menu that would be affected, why did they bother? My suspicions are that the drinks that were $15 to $17 are going to have "price adjustments to reflect current market conditions" and suddenly be $20.95.

I hope I am wrong, though for the most part it won't affect me unless the Alchemy Bar drinks suddenly go above $20, so I'm not whinging about it, per se. Just trying to think through the logical conclusions of what other changes are likely to follow as a result.

But if it has no affect, then the answer is no. If the program keeps getting abused then anything can happen. The amount of “sharing I have seen is off the charts, and people think of it as an entitlement (I paid for 15 and you bet your bottom dollar I will get what I paid for...mentality). For Alchemy drinks to jump that high it would have to be the largest jump in history.

There is this perception that Carnival wants to screw everyone when in truth the opposite is true. The really do want satisfied customers getting a great cruise vacation at a good price. If your worse case scenario ever plays out it is because of those who steal, whether that be sharing of this program, rum runners or a host of other cheating schemes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll stop posting but there's not much difference between a premium or super premium vodka imho. It's not like bourbon where the difference is much more noticeable.

Pretty much. It all comes from an obsession to "get our money's worth" from Cheers.

My guess is once this limit is well established, a number of popular drinks that are currently under $20 drinks might creep up in price to over $20 over the next couple years.

What popular drinks are you talking about? None of the drinks that Carnival lists on their various drink menus on the ship are even close to $20, with most of them being under $10.

Don't drink whiskey, but there are a few Johnny Walker colors that are quite expensive per shot, Blue/Gold, etc. if they're available!
They are not. Roca Patron and Grey Goose VX at 17.00 are the only high end stuff available. No high end single malt scotches or whiskeys.

My guess is once this limit is well established, a number of popular drinks that are currently under $20 drinks might creep up in price to over $20 over the next couple years.

What popular drinks are you talking about? None of the drinks that Carnival lists on their various drink menus on the ship are even close to $20, with most of them being under $10.
Correct! There are two liquors at 17.00 and the next tier of drinks are at 12.95. It's not like there is a laundry list of 18.95 drinks that will be bumped up to 20.95. This is Carnival, not NCL.

My suspicions are that the drinks that were $15 to $17 are going to have "price adjustments to reflect current market conditions" and suddenly be $20.95.

Unless there is a wine that falls into that price point, the only drinks I am aware of between 15-17 are Roca Patron and Grey Goose VX. If by some chance they go to 20.95, it's no big deal to me, since they have Don Julio Anejo and Resposado and regular Grey Goose that are all currently 12.95 and below.