RCI and Veteran Appreciation

SRF

Some may know of this, but it was new to me. We were on the Aug 6 sailing of Grandeur.

On Fri, the first sea day, there was a buffet for active duty, veterans, and police/fire. It was the same food as the Suite/Pinnacle buffet, but without the free drinks (we were in a suite so did both).

Then on the last night on board, at 9:30PM, there was a public event to honor active duty, veterans, and police/fire. This was in the Centrum. They had everyone come up on the steps, had two of the RCI singers sing (Star Spangled Banner and Hallelujah - military version).

And then had a large cake decorated as the American Flag.

Overall, very nice, and the public one was very well attended by other passengers.

And appreciated by all of us honored.

It seems to be a Grandeur tradition. I've never noticed a greeting buffet, but the evening ceremony as described has taken place on all seven of my Grandeur cruises out of Baltimore, under four different cruise directors. Always the last night except when it was celebrated on Pearl Harbor Day last year. I feel young as a Vietnam veteran; there has always been at least one WWII veteran in attendance. Just incredible.

We've seen the veteran's recognition/events on Grandeur every time we've been on her (5 or 6 times), but not the buffet. There's always a veteran's get together one day and then the event on the last night in the Centrum. We've gone to several events since DH is a retired US Navy Captain. There's always a lot of veterans' onboard. We've seen veteran's get togethers on several ships, but not the big recognition event. The buffet is new, but that just means someone on the staff decided to do it.

I will be on the Grandeur for the December holiday sailing and am an Air Force veteran. Are veteran’s invited to the buffet and recognition event ( if so, how do they know if yiu are a veteran), or is it just announced in the cruise compass?

I will be on the Grandeur for the December holiday sailing and am an Air Force veteran. Are veteran’s invited to the buffet and recognition event ( if so, how do they know if yiu are a veteran), or is it just announced in the cruise compass?

I've been to several. They are announced in the Compass and on the morning show, usually the last night at 9:30. It is organized by the Cruise Director and staff. Every veteran who wishes to participate - virtually all veterans onboard - gather on the Centrum level 3 steps and step front (large numbers) when called up by the cruise director. I've attended three times with Paul Rutter, twice with Bobby Boughton, once with Bob Leininger, and once with a useless fill in when the CD had an emergency (Darryl tore him apart on the morning show every day, and he deserved it!). It is nicely done and draws a big crowd filling several levels of the Centrum.

All the times I've sailed, I've heard nothing about a buffet. If I had to guess, it might be Diamond Lounge type snacks and soft drinks served at the Veterans meet and greet (also in the Compass, usually early in the cruise).

No one cheered when I came home in 1970 but they certainly cheer at this event. Definitely go and enjoy.

that a GR only thing. one of the CDs/ADs was a veteran and started the tradition which was kept up after he left. and no I don't remember his name.

most we have seen on other ships is an hour set aside in one of the lounges for an informal gathering. most were not presided over by anyone, we just sat around and told sea stories.

We were on Legend several years ago and they had a couple of get together for Veterans, Active Military, etc. that my husband attended. Very nice. As it turned out, every man at our table of eight was a veteran. Very special.

Sent from my iPad using Forums