Is English the Lingua Fanca on the Bridge?

XBGuy

This question popped into my mind while I was reading another thread. I did not want to derail the conversation in that thread. So, I figured I would start my own.

In my (limited) experience with Princess, it seems that most of the ships officers are either, native speakers of English or, they are Italian. I will agree, immediately, that multiple other nationalities and languages must be represented, but, again, my recollection seems to be that the native language of most of the ship's officers is either Italian or English.

So, does anybody know if English is the language used on the bridge?

Something else just popped into my head. What about radio communications between the ship and ports? What about communication with port pilots?

I was just going to use Air Traffic Control as the comparison as well.

My understanding is that in the event of a declared emergency all crew member communication must be in English no matter where in the world the ship is. All crew from the bridge on down are taught adequate English phrases for the situation (ie "I fell into the lifeboat").

On two occasions, on two different Princess ships, I was on a tour of the bridge while the ships were at sea. On both occasions the crew members who were on watch conversed with each other in English even though they were Italian. They were not involved with the tour in any way so their speaking English was not for the benefit of the tour group.

Each shipping company is free to designate what the "working language" of the ship is, and all official communication is done in this language, including bridge communication. Having said that, English is the lingua franca of the maritime world, all intership and ship to shore communication is done in English. If, for example, the working language is Italian (Costa ships), but the local pilot does not speak Italian, then English will be used. Further, once a ship has hailed another on the VHF, in English, if the two ships wish to communicate in another language, they are free to move to another VHF channel and continue in whatever language is common to both ships.

It is not true that once an emergency is declared that all crew member communication must be in English, it must be in the working language of the ship.

Each shipping company is free to designate what the "working language" of the ship is, and all official communication is done in this language, including bridge communication. Having said that, English is the lingua franca of the maritime world, all intership and ship to shore communication is done in English. If, for example, the working language is Italian (Costa ships), but the local pilot does not speak Italian, then English will be used. Further, once a ship has hailed another on the VHF, in English, if the two ships wish to communicate in another language, they are free to move to another VHF channel and continue in whatever language is common to both ships.

It is not true that once an emergency is declared that all crew member communication must be in English, it must be in the working language of the ship.

Cheng - I greatly appreciate all your helpful information here. You truly make a difference. Hope you continue to monitor these boards and provide us with your excellent knowledge. Thanks again, from EBC

We have done quite a few cruises on CCL and it appears the bridge staff (which seems to be all Italian) has limited command of English. In that case is it possible the working language would be Italian?

So, the shipping company choses the working language, and it happens to be English all the time? Or are there bigger ships where lingua franca is actually French?

(I know a video of a bridge where a certain captain spoke Italian, but I guess all crew spoke English on that ship. A blog by a Dutch intern on HAL said he was supposed to speak English all the time, even when speaking 1-1 to someone Dutch as well)

So, the shipping company choses the working language, and it happens to be English all the time? Or are there bigger ships where lingua franca is actually French?

(I know a video of a bridge where a certain captain spoke Italian, but I guess all crew spoke English on that ship. A blog by a Dutch intern on HAL said he was supposed to speak English all the time, even when speaking 1-1 to someone Dutch as well)

Many companies choose English because some fluency in English is also required if the working language is not English, so you are requiring two languages that may not be native to the crew. Also, for cruise ships, English speaking passengers are likely the single largest demographic served (not a majority, just the largest single group). An example of the working language not being English is Costa. In the official report of the Italian maritime agency into the Concordia sinking, it was noted that Schettino started giving commands to the helmsman in English, even though this was not the working language of the ship, and the helmsman did not have sufficient fluency in English (his job doesn't require the use of English, he doesn't communicate with other ships or shore).

I would say that most cruise lines use English as working language, though there are likely exceptions (like Costa). And it can vary from ship to ship within a company. Where you get more diversity in working language is on cargo ships.

As for the Dutch person speaking English, that would be the requirement for all conversations regarding work. A personal conversation (hey, how did the local football team do this week?) could be in Dutch.

I’ve said it before and will say it again:

Kudos and Thanks always to Chengkp75 for the knowledgeable insight into the intra-workings of and on a ship. I always appreciate chengkp75’s comments.

Thanks again, and Safe Journeys. Paul

Sent from my iPad using Forums

English is the Lingua Franca of Airlines and air traffic controllers, so it makes sense it would be the same for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Concur. Even Russian and Chinese Captain and Navigator communicate with ground control in English. They probably talk to each other in native language, I assume...haven’t been there to actually hear. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This question popped into my mind while I was reading another thread. I did not want to derail the conversation in that thread. So, I figured I would start my own.

In my (limited) experience with Princess, it seems that most of the ships officers are either, native speakers of English or, they are Italian. I will agree, immediately, that multiple other nationalities and languages must be represented, but, again, my recollection seems to be that the native language of most of the ship's officers is either Italian or English.

So, does anybody know if English is the language used on the bridge?

Something else just popped into my head. What about radio communications

between the ship and ports? What about communication with port pilots?

From the MAIB report of Star's 2006 fire, Princess rules at that time required

Communications with an emergency party, such as a Fire Party, may be

carried out in a language appropriate to the party members, eg Italian.

All communications to and from the Bridge, and all Bridge internal

communications are to be carried out in English.

-- https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c706ae5274a4290000097/Star_Princess.pdf

I imagine that the language used on the bridge and to others must be in English. All aircraft are required to communicate in English to airport and controller control.

I worked for a US company that did business all over the world. All professionals who were hired by the company had to speak English. In their native countries they could use their native language but all communication to company HQ had to be in English. I on occasion had to call our Montreal office who answered in French but as soon as I spoke they switched to English.