Must Do’s on the Escape?

Jessieasanders

Just got off the 9/30 sailing of the Escape, and also had the salad, Beef Wellington, and cheesecake menu for Choir of Man. They did listen to the complaints. All of the food was really good! Surprisingly good. The show was excellent as everyone has said. Definitely recommend!!!

Separately, bring some money for Howl at the Moon to make requests. You don’t have to, but it adds to the fun. We went twice, for about two hours each time, and only had maybe 3-4 songs the same both nights for the parts we saw. A lot of fun!!!

After Midnight and Brat Pack were great as well. Overall really liked the entertainment on the ship!

It's not so much seeing the bridge it's just concrete and old steel, it's awesome when you see it in relation to size of ship and how close you think the billion dollar ship gets to it.

The bridge is the Verrazano-Narrows which is the longest suspension bridge in the Americas. It's actually pretty cool if you are interested in stuff like that. ;)

Howl At The Moon......go all four nights they are there and stay as long as you can. If I recall the hours are 800-1230 and until 100 on the last night which is always the best. Occasionally other musicians will join in and we even had our CD Tyler playing the drums on two different sailings we had with him.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, long Island said:

Do they have a breakfast buffet on the waterfront at Moderno or Cagney’s in the morning?

No. But there is coffee and tea as well as a small tray of Danish pastries set up on one of the outside bars along the Waterfront.

On 10/7/2018 at 12:07 AM, Jessieasanders said:

Our last cruise (Getaway) I came across a similar type post for the ship and there were some fantastic recommendations! I’m positive we wouldn’t have realized Ocean Blue had a window that sold lobster rolls on sea days

i saw that on the breakaway.

how was it? worth the price? ($8???)

edit:

doh.. not on the Escape 😞

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 12:27 AM, BirdTravels said:

Pincho Tapas (with dining plan - best food on the ship) https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55880787&postcount=189

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55880800&postcount=190

Escape the Big Top - complimentary escape room

1) if you have sdp, is pinchos additional cost?
2) can pinchos be used with Platinum dining perk?
3) Is the 'escape big top' different than  on the Bliss? (ive done the one on the bliss)

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2018 at 9:08 PM, Jessieasanders said:

I saw it somewhere, but now of course can’t find it ... but someone mentioned that the ship will sail under a bridge the day we depart. The post recommended going up to the highest level of the ship to see the bridge up close. Has anyone done this? Know about how long from leaving this happens?

About 20-30 minutes after you leave the pier, the ship will pass the Statue of Liberty which you can view from the starboard side of the ship, you will pass lower Manhattan and the Freedom Tower on port side and then pass under the Verrazano Natrows Bridge which can be seen from any outside deck...you will probably pass a Staten Island ferry traveling from Manhattan to Staten Island....

I've not yet sailed on the Escape, only the Gem, and I have to say that sailing out of NYC was awesome.  Whether it's the great architecture or Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, or passing under the bridge, stay outside as long as you can so you can see them all.  There may have been a few tears shed  especially as we sailed by Lady Liberty.

I happened to wake up the night of our return right as we passed her by.  This is a lousy photo but I'm sure glad I was awake to catch it.

IMG_9773.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 3:34 PM, DuckTollerFans said:

I've not yet sailed on the Escape, only the Gem, and I have to say that sailing out of NYC was awesome.  Whether it's the great architecture or Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, or passing under the bridge, stay outside as long as you can so you can see them all.  There may have been a few tears shed  especially as we sailed by Lady Liberty.

I happened to wake up the night of our return right as we passed her by.  This is a lousy photo but I'm sure glad I was awake to catch it.

IMG_9773.JPG

Really cool photo!

51 minutes ago, Jessieasanders said:

We are now in the sub 30 day countdown ... anyone else have any ‘must do’s’ on the Escape?

I need to second the need to brave the cold, heat, rain, whatever to see NYC.  Either the upper decks or Waterfront are great.  Waterfront is less crowded and provides a great aft view of the city.  We had the distinction of leaving and arriving at night,  as we left late and got home a day early (pics below).

The Watefront is a nice, quiet alternative to the upper decks if you want someplace outside to relax, read, drink, etc, but don't require a pool or a lounge chair.  I was always amazed how quiet it was.

Howl at the Moon is very popular, though hardly a secret.  They alternate nights with the comedy shows.  Individuals or small groups perform in several other locations, though getting a good seat at these can be tough.  Prime sight-lines and comfortable chairs are sometimes at a premium!

There are some free dinner shows in the the Dinner Theater featuring various performers on the ship.  These will change as performers rotate and are worth trying if you see something of interest.  The food wasn't great, but there are plenty of options to get something else after the show!  I think Choir of Man is now in the Main Theater and I support its universal designation as a must do on these boards.

It's a big ship with a ton of options.  The list of things I didn't do is far longer than what I did, so my thoughts are hardly exhaustive.  Best wishes on for a great cruise!

On 1/27/2019 at 9:40 PM, tumblew467 said:

is there bowling on the ship?

Yes (if you haven't already found it).  Across the atrium upper level from the main area of O'Sheehans.  I didn't know it was there until being routed through when disembarking!

XA2T1A3343.thumb.jpg.ed4476646e9a31d3b70ecabf6fe17873.jpgA2T1A3358.thumb.jpg.d52aaff6c805c30f686b5878bcb09543.jpg

B2T1A4143.thumb.jpg.0f0d5cd250c584f483721a3fdb61a91f.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just got back on this site after 5 long years and am loving all the info.  Am probably going on the Escape in Oct with some friends..first cruise since 2011. (have had MANY life changes and moves since then)..SO excited to be cruising again after so long.  I feel like a newbie again...so much has changed since 2011 in the cruise industry...so many choices and new ships etc...

I have alot to learn!