EDGE CHECK IN.....Procedures , etc,,.,,

hcat

We just checked in for our Jan cruise  sailing in  90 days . They gave us choices for an  "arrival appointment" ...and earliest was 12 00 pm to 12 30. That's much later than our usual arrival time and  the pre cruise  hotel check out time.    It is hardly a priority  boarding time for AQ Class or Elite Plus.  AQ/ E +  has always boarded just after suites/Zenith.....then Concierge. Although we do not want to upload the photo, we may cave on that to avoid more delay at check in.

Although this is a very expensive modern terminal, there may be the same limits on accessing the area due to it's physical location.  We will park in the Mid Port garage,  and hope we can take our luggage on the free shuttle or will try to get a cab...not going around that big  circle twice if we can help it.

We are anxious for feedback about the boarding experience of those precede us,and also about the times others have been assigned,...

.Do we know if  it  is still by cabin type, deck or ?????

While not sure, I would not worry about it at all...

As they do this for other sailings, go when you want to go, check in and then go with the ANTICIPATION and excitemet of boarding!

Worst case scenario, they have you wait a few moments..

Yet, I Am sure they are expecting a deluge of a sea of humanity of passengers arriving early to board early to start exploring the ship...

What is your patience quotient for a potential wait to check-in and then board regardless of status, with the exception of Iconic Suites I would guess.. but who knows for sure at this moment.

bon voyage

• Like 1

You have a  well -grounded focus.   Unfortunately, we get stressed out in the face of disorganized chaos.

For us boarding is not easy esp when parking at the port with luggage.  We are checking to see if our hotel will let us keep the car there for the week, and we can take their shuttle to the port..less expensive than parking at port and then we get dropped off at the door.

Usually by noon, we are in the Bistro or buffet enjoying lunch and a cocktail...Seems this might not be the case for EDGE.  Hate to ignore the rules but we will follow our usual routine and hope for the best.

We have had notices for past X cruises to show up at 1:00 or 1:30 - we still always show up between 10:30 and 11:00 and get right in. I would show up when you wish - they always handle the flow very well, in my experience. There may more of a rush at noon, who knows?

For my first Edge cruise, I will probably be there early since she won't need to be cleared. I'm hoping to explore the new terminal and get some pictures and maybe we'll get on early or maybe they will send us away. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

OK, I'm officially feeling like a newbie [despite this being our 4th Celebrity cruise].  When I checked in online they asked when I planned to arrive – since we are going to 11am Mass in Ft. Lauderdale I said noon, and my Express Pass says check-in time range = 12:00pm-3:00pm.

But the part that's making me feel uninformed is another thread about sending in pictures?  I didn't see anything in the check-in process or on my Express pass about that.  Don't they still take your [not very attractive] picture at the terminal?

18 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

OK, I'm officially feeling like a newbie [despite this being our 4th Celebrity cruise].  When I checked in online they asked when I planned to arrive – since we are going to 11am Mass in Ft. Lauderdale I said noon, and my Express Pass says check-in time range = 12:00pm-3:00pm.

But the part that's making me feel uninformed is another thread about sending in pictures?  I didn't see anything in the check-in process or on my Express pass about that.  Don't they still take your [not very attractive] picture at the terminal?

You can still have your picture taken in the terminal, but if you want to upload a picture now, it will be all set for facial recognition when you arrive, I guess. Some people didn't get the prompt to upload a picture and I think it's because they went in under cruise planner after signing into their accounts instead of clicking on "check in" and then entering reservation number, etc.

See C-Dragons post #12 in this thread:

Edited by vtcruising

19 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

PS...VT beat me to the punch with better info..but this was my post

Others can better explain this but they  apparently now prefer  that the photos are uploaded by pax in advance  .It's  optional, but  having  them taken  at the port may mean another line???? Dh was  eventually able to skip that step when we did check in today but we may upload the pics after all.  I am reluctant because of security issues / ID theft, but  have no idea where  the pics are stored anyhow,,,

Edited by hcat

Had the same take your own photo for the Anthem out of NJ. Seemed that either the system accepted too many bad pictures or something else since most people we spoke to had to have other photos at the pier. I think I did a good job with our photos, but we will see.

was most impressed recently with Carnival check in where they scanned your passport and that photo was used for your ship photo. Easy as it could be!

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

From the main Celebrity page, there's an option for "Check-in" and "Sign-in". I selected Sign-in and after I was logged in, chose Check-in. In doing that I was prompted to add a photo. If you have already gone through the check-in process, you can still add your photo by signing in and then there will be a prompt to update check-in. "Update check-in/Xpress pass"

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

2 hours ago, hcat said:

PS...VT beat me to the punch with better info..but this was my post

Others can better explain this but they  apparently now prefer  that the photos are uploaded by pax in advance  .It's  optional, but  having  them taken  at the port may mean another line???? Dh was  eventually able to skip that step when we did check in today but we may upload the pics after all.  I am reluctant because of security issues / ID theft, but  have no idea where  the pics are stored anyhow,,,

No, I do not think there will be a special line... it should proceed as any other sailing..

I can imagine the cluster if there is a separate line for those who did not upload photos....

Just think of all the passengers whose photos got distorted or or otherwise not acceptable for use at check-in! It will be the same check-in line for those of us who have forgotten to do on-line check-in... I told all of my friends who joined us on Summit this past August to NOT forget to do OLCI and guess who slipped up??? :classic_ninja:

So not to worry about it, the most time it will take is seven (7) to nine (9) minutes even if you forget to do OLCI...

Do your best to change your anxiety before boarding to Excitement for the new experience and fun and wonderment that lies ahead at the gangway entrance!

We expect you to post photos of you and the family jumping for joy upon entry to Terminal 25 and upon having the first drink post champagne greeting!

bon voyage

Uhm...

I did no make any research on this. Think there is no reason to overanalyze.

My rental car shuttle will take me to Terminal 25 when I tell them to. That will be around 10.30 am. I will have my boarding pass and travel document and credit card handy.

That should be all it takes. I usually stay away from all that photographs ado etc.

Edited by Nemanoxer

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Edited by PatC
Okay, trying to figure out this darn site. I tried to respond.

Okay, try again.  When you go directly into your planner you only get the regular Xpress Pass.  If you log in to your Celebrity Cruises site your cruises should show.  Only Edge has the new system.  I did our Silhouette which is directly after and it was only the "old" way.  If you click on "Xpresss Pass update" you can do the section for the picture.  Took a little time but finally got it to work.  Printed out the new pass and it shows picture submitted.  Good luck.

Pat C

10 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

No, I do not think there will be a special line... it should proceed as any other sailing..

I can imagine the cluster if there is a separate line for those who did not upload photos....

Just think of all the passengers whose photos got distorted or or otherwise not acceptable for use at check-in! It will be the same check-in line for those of us who have forgotten to do on-line check-in... I told all of my friends who joined us on Summit this past August to NOT forget to do OLCI and guess who slipped up??? :classic_ninja:

So not to worry about it, the most time it will take is seven (7) to nine (9) minutes even if you forget to do OLCI...

Do your best to change your anxiety before boarding to Excitement for the new experience and fun and wonderment that lies ahead at the gangway entrance!

We expect you to post photos of you and the family jumping for joy upon entry to Terminal 25 and upon having the first drink post champagne greeting!

bon voyage

For many years there was always a sep line for the sea pass  photos...A huge bottleneck most of the time.

Then they got the little portable cameras at each check in station, big improvement,  Hope that will still be in place.  

Our anxiety levels drop after each successful step...getting to the port, parking, getting to the port building, checking in, stepping onboard ( ahhhhh!) ..... and seeing our luggage has all  arrived.  Then we will  have 7  days ahead  to totally enjoy!

We will definitely post a few photos if we can..but after we get home with our review.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

I want to cruise with you @Bo1953! I like the way you think! 🙂

I learned long ago that stress only makes things worse. What will be will be. And my stress just makes it all worse. My husband is more apt to stress than me. I've found over the years that my lack of stress leads to the lowering of his. He and I are a good team. 😉

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Our anxiety levels drop after each successful step...getting to the port, parking, getting to the port building, checking in, stepping onboard ( ahhhhh!) ..... and seeing our luggage has all  arrived.  Then we will  have 7  days ahead  to totally enjoy!

We will definitely post a few photos if we can..but after we get home with our review.

I'm looking SO forward to the pics and reviews from everyone who goes on these first cruises! Can't wait!

17 hours ago, hcat said:

We just checked in for our Jan cruise  sailing in  90 days . They gave us choices for an  "arrival appointment" ...and earliest was 12 00 pm to 12 30. That's much later than our usual arrival time and  the pre cruise  hotel check out time.    It is hardly a priority  boarding time for AQ Class or Elite Plus.  AQ/ E +  has always boarded just after suites/Zenith.....then Concierge. Although we do not want to upload the photo, we may cave on that to avoid more delay at check in.

Although this is a very expensive modern terminal, there may be the same limits on accessing the area due to it's physical location.  We will park in the Mid Port garage,  and hope we can take our luggage on the free shuttle or will try to get a cab...not going around that big  circle twice if we can help it.

We are anxious for feedback about the boarding experience of those precede us,and also about the times others have been assigned,...

RCCL has done this for the last couple of years for Anthem in Bayonne, NJ.  They send you a check in time appointment.  It seems that this is mostly ignored with no issues.  Best to get there when convenient for you.  Boarding time is whenever the ship is cleared and ready and might be very different from check in time.  

Edited by TeeRick

We have always taken a taxi and arrived for boarding around 11 o’clock. The suggested time for arrival doesn’t work for us, and we always are usually in the buffet before noon. My DH would rather wait in the terminal than home, even if we can’t board. Antsy cruiser !

On 10/29/2018 at 7:05 PM, hcat said:

Ok we got a  11:30 check in, but  hcat 's comment on parking concerns me.  How far is the closest parking garage ?  1000 ft, 1/2 mile mile?  Even though we will have carry on sized rollers for our 3 nite cruise,  I don't want to fall into the trap of shlepping  luggage over a ridiculous distance.  

I don't know about any parking other than the midport garage.  With carry ons it will be easy to take the free shuttle from there to the check in spot..not walkable...due to distance and lack of safe sidewalks.

For our 7 and 9 night cruises we will have  luggage...but are checking with our hotel to see if we can keep the car there for the 7 day cruise,,and take the hotel shuttle,,

3 hours ago, Elevatorman said:

We have always taken a taxi and arrived for boarding around 11 o’clock. The suggested time for arrival doesn’t work for us, and we always are usually in the buffet before noon. My DH would rather wait in the terminal than home, even if we can’t board. Antsy cruiser !

I want to get there early to see the new terminal - there is some nice seating. I will be happy to wait a bit. I've been waiting 2 years to to sail on the Edge already - what's another hour? :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Celebrity is taking notes from the NCL playbooks. It is understood that many with travel arragements are unable to realistically be able to manage or align with a late check in time but are forced to select it. 

Come to the terminal when you are able, I suspect you will wait in queue. I would suggest that suite guests get the earliest boardings and those who arrive outside of that segment will be in queue first come. But it may be a bit of a later embarkation, say after 11, 12 or 1 pm. 

For anyone who has been in these queues, its a story just waiting to be told about guest behaviors. But what embarkation's and disembarkations aren't filled with occasional distress and some sort of story?

Edited by MizDemeanor

On 10/31/2018 at 1:32 PM, floridatravelersforlife said:

Ok we got a  11:30 check in, but  hcat 's comment on parking concerns me.  How far is the closest parking garage ?  1000 ft, 1/2 mile mile?  Even though we will have carry on sized rollers for our 3 nite cruise,  I don't want to fall into the trap of shlepping  luggage over a ridiculous distance.  

When we drive we use Park N' Go right near the FLL port area.  Free shuttle each way and great service.  Less expensive.  There are lots of these parking services around there.