Checking OBC Before Departure

GoHoward

Hi all - My DW and I are departing on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in two short weeks - we can't wait!

We booked with an online TA that offered a package that included $200 OBC and prepaid gratuities.  In checking on my account on the HAL website, I see a notation that $50 OBC has been credited to our stateroom for the first day of the itinerary.  Should I be concerned that the full $200 isn't showing up, or is it normal for OBC provided by travel agencies to not appear prior to boarding?

Thanks in advance for your help! 

I've never seen my TA's OBC on my booking or on my confirmation.  It's arranged by them as a purchase for your cruise (much like you would buy it on your own).

It is on my email confirmation from my TA and I bring that with me to be safe. I have never not received the OBC and never had to follow up 😄 

• Like 1

Our TA receipt shows the total amount of OBC. We always take a copy with us just in case. The receipt, which comes to the TA from HAL, shows only the totals, not the breakdown. In our case, there's Future Cruise Credit, Amex Platinum, Explore 4, and Carnival Shareholder OBC. The shareholder amount shows up under me. The others are split evenly between my wife and me. Our TA can see the breakdown, but the breakdown is not on the receipt. 

45 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Our TA receipt shows the total amount of OBC. We always take a copy with us just in case. The receipt, which comes to the TA from HAL, shows only the totals, not the breakdown. In our case, there's Future Cruise Credit, Amex Platinum, Explore 4, and Carnival Shareholder OBC. The shareholder amount shows up under me. The others are split evenly between my wife and me. Our TA can see the breakdown, but the breakdown is not on the receipt. 

The paperwork we get from our TA is the same.  I always take a copy just in case but so far so good.

5 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

The paperwork we get from our TA is the same.  I always take a copy just in case but so far so good.

We've never had a problem, but if we do, I want to be armed for bear.  The front office will have to contact Seattle and either Seattle or I will have to contact my TA.  This would take time, so it's OBC is one of the things we check early on. The back and forth with Seattle could take a few days, and we like to leave a little padding.

This is what our confirmation looks like at the top. It's an official HAL fax, and not just something from our TA's system. (I deleted the TA information and our booking number.)

999-receipt.jpg.e9b7255b71cbb0e2d41a79b9f93195dc.jpg

We get shipboard  credit from several different parties.  Our TA takes the time to write down each party and how much we are getting from them -- on our confirmation letter from her.

I make a couple of extra copies to take with me.

Yes -- we have a couple of problems over the years with the total shipboard credit not showing on our shipboard account.

DH and I receive OBC from both our TA ($350), and from HAL ($200).  We are also receiving Gratuities from HAL.

Should the OBC from HAL and the Gratuities be showing somewhere on my reservation?  I've just checked-in for our cruise that is about month away.  I am not sure where to look to see if the perks from HAL is listed.

Also, assuming that the OBC is showing online, can I book a drink package or dinner online using that OBC?  Celebrity now has that ability to do so. :classic_smile:  Hoping that the HAL website does, as well.  I'd like to book the soda/water drink card online - $25 for $50 worth of drinks.

Finally, we are to receive a coupon book supposedly worth $350 :classic_rolleyes:from HAL.  Could someone tell me, or point me to a list of included coupons to see if there is anything we will use?  Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

DH and I receive OBC from both our TA ($350), and from HAL ($200).  We are also receiving Gratuities from HAL.

Should the OBC from HAL and the Gratuities be showing somewhere on my reservation?  I've just checked-in for our cruise that is about month away.  I am not sure where to look to see if the perks from HAL is listed.

Also, assuming that the OBC is showing online, can I book a drink package or dinner online using that OBC?  Celebrity now has that ability to do so. :classic_smile:  Hoping that the HAL website does, as well.  I'd like to book the soda/water drink card online - $25 for $50 worth of drinks.

Finally, we are to receive a coupon book supposedly worth $350 :classic_rolleyes:from HAL.  Could someone tell me, or point me to a list of included coupons to see if there is anything we will use?  Thank you so much!

I doubt that you can pay for a drink package ahead of time using OBC, as I know you cannot do this to book excursions online ahead of sailing (I sure wish that they would change this! - especially for the excursions).  For the drink package, you can always purchase it onboard, so no real issue here IMO.

Edited by DaveOKC

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

We've never had a problem, but if we do, I want to be armed for bear.  The front office will have to contact Seattle and either Seattle or I will have to contact my TA.  This would take time, so it's OBC is one of the things we check early on. The back and forth with Seattle could take a few days, and we like to leave a little padding.

This is what our confirmation looks like at the top. It's an official HAL fax, and not just something from our TA's system. (I deleted the TA information and our booking number.)

999-receipt.jpg.e9b7255b71cbb0e2d41a79b9f93195dc.jpg

I take my confirmation with me from HAL too but it has never reflected the TA OBC which I think the OP was asking about?  I take the email from my TA confirming their OBC along with my HAL confirmation.

So far so good, but the day you don't take it, is the day you'll need it 😉

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

The OBC that does from HAL will show on your HAL confirmation.  Left hand column just a bit down from your name, stateroom and all that stuff.

The gratuities are a note.  Usually on page 2.  Check towards the end of the booking and you will see some notes if you are getting something.  Usually numbered.

As to OBC, it can only be use onboard.  You can't book anything on line and use your OBC.  

The coupon list varies but it often includes stuff like "buy a 7 wine admiral package and get x off the Pinnacle Grill".  I haven't gotten a coupon booklet for a couple of years - some people use them as door stops or coasters (no use to them), others find a few they can use.  I always use the bingo and slot pull one 😉 

Our TA doesn't give OBC. They give a discount off the cruise fare, typically 8-14% which we happen to prefer. For some lines, like NCL & Celebrity, the TA rebates $$ after the cruise, but it's never been OBC.   That's probably why I've never seen TA OBC.  We do see TA perks if they're giving us a dinner or Champagne, but that's in a separate letter.

28 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Our TA doesn't give OBC. They give a discount off the cruise fare, typically 8-14% which we happen to prefer. For some lines, like NCL & Celebrity, the TA rebates $$ after the cruise, but it's never been OBC.   That's probably why I've never seen TA OBC.  We do see TA perks if they're giving us a dinner or Champagne, but that's in a separate letter.

Got it 😉. Some TA's give OBC.  For we Canadians, it can be a better deal (US $) than a discount in Canadian dollars.  Of course, you do need a crystal ball 😉

The TA OBC works just like your perks that you mentioned from your TA.  Separate letter/email.  So, like your perks, not on the HAL confirmation.

Thanks everyone - this is really helpful advice. My TA confirmation (on agency letterhead, not from HAL) shows the OBC and hotel service charges covered, so I'll print it out to bring along.

Miss G - where can I find the booking confirmation that you shared screenshots from above? As mentioned I received a TA confirmation, and I can access my cruise through the HAL website, but I can't find a booking confirmation within the HAL portal.

Thank you for trying to help, but none of the suggestions apply to my reservation.  I can see my reservation online, but there is no mention anywhere of any perks.  We do not receive a confirmation directly from HAL.  Only the one from the TA, which does list all the perks.  I have printed everything out and will take with us.

We are nixing the Soda card purchase idea.  I thought it included water as well as soft drinks.  Instead, we plan to buy packages.  It's too bad that we cannot use the OBC ahead of time because if we book a beverage package ahead of time, we would save money (a savings of $40.25 for a one week cruise) versus waiting to purchase on the ship.

Speaking of the beverage package, does one have to upgrade to the Elite Package to have bottle water and soft drinks included?  

Does the coupon book include any laundry services?

3 minutes ago, GoHoward said:

Thanks everyone - this is really helpful advice. My TA confirmation (on agency letterhead, not from HAL) shows the OBC and hotel service charges covered, so I'll print it out to bring along.

Miss G - where can I find the booking confirmation that you shared screenshots from above? As mentioned I received a TA confirmation, and I can access my cruise through the HAL website, but I can't find a booking confirmation within the HAL portal.

Your TA should have sent you the confirmation. You can't access it on HAL it you booked through a TA.

If your TA didn't send you HAL's but sent you one with everything outlined, you can either a) just bring that with you or b) ask your TA to send the HAL confirmation.

But, your TA's OBC/gifts will never show on the HAL confirmation.

Your TA's confirmation will be all inclusive of both HAL and their OBC/gifts and should suffice IMO.

Yep, we have used this TA for many past cruises, and the confirmation always comes from them.  Early on, we would also get a confirmation from the cruiseline (mostly Celebrity) but that has stopped.  However, we have always been able to see our complete reservation on the Celebrity website, including drink packages, etc., and OBC from the cruiseline.  And we can spend that credit online before the cruise.

As I said before, I have already printed all the information and will take with us next month.  Thank you!

Thanks for mentioning OBC.  I had not yet applied for my shareholder credit for my upcoming cruise.  I took my brief note and my proof of current ownership of 100 shares of Carnival stock and had it faxed from my local print and copy shop.  The notification of the OBC was in my e-mail inbox before I got home.