I95 Or Florida Turnpike To Ft Lauderdale?

Raxter54

We'll be driving from Illinois to our cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, coming into Florida via I75. Just curious about whether we should take I 10 over to Jacksonville to catch I95, or pay the tolls and take the Turnpike. One thing to consider -the Sunday we return, is also the day of the Daytona 500. Might want to avoid I95 at least for our return trip...

Daytona will make little difference on I95.  Should be fine.

I don't think it's going to make a whole lot of difference which direction you take.  If you want to save the tolls and don't mind the extra 10 - 30 minutes of driving, cut over to I95.  Note you can also cut over to I95 in Orlando using the 528.

I have said it before, I prefer I95 over the turnpike coming from North.  You get 3 lanes on I95 vs 2 on the turnpike.  I find the turnpike rather crowded due to the lack of a 3rd lane, with lots of drivers holding up the passing lane and plenty of road raging because of it.  It's my least favorite road, by far. (it's not THAT bad, however, and not something to avoid).  Lately I've either been taking US27 or I95.

Which brings up another point.  Are you just trying to get here as fast as possible or doing something scenic?  US27 is an interesting option if you wanted to stop and see stuff like Gatorama, it adds about 30 - 40 minutes to the drive, however.

Edited by BNBR

Coming from Ohio on I-75, I have used I-10 to I-95, US  27, and the Florida Turnpike to get to Fort Lauderdale.  I do so for variety purposes in my driving.  But, I do prefer the I-10 to I-95 route.  I always make an overnight stop at Orange Park , a Jacksonville suburb.  (I have found a very good local seafood restaurant that I always have dinner at Orange Park; I look forward to it.)  The next morning, it is a quick jaunt to join I-95 for the final drive to Fort Lauderdale.

US 27 is an interesting route.  It provides a different perspective of Florida than either the Turnpike or I-95.  If it is still open, there is a Florida's Natural Visitors Center along the route; I don't recall the name of the city, but it was located right along US 27.

Florida's Natural Visitors Center is still there.  You also have Bok Tower and Gatorama.  Plus tons of other spots like Lake Placid with all the murals.  It's a great drive if you want to see things and plan a few short stops to see a part of Florida that few others get to. 

I used to live in South Florida and I absolutely HATED I-95, specially when you get into the tri-county area (Palm Beach / Broward / Dade), The traffic, even on the weekend, can be horrendous. Never had any major traffic issues using the Turnpike. 

3 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I used to live in South Florida and I absolutely HATED I-95, specially when you get into the tri-county area (Palm Beach / Broward / Dade), The traffic, even on the weekend, can be horrendous. Never had any major traffic issues using the Turnpike. 

Yes, but they are driving from North.  90% of their drive on i95 is not in south Florida...  There is no traffic on i95 on the weekend barring an accident.  And even rush hours is not what I would call "horrendous" let alone on the weekend when there is no traffic. 

Edited by BNBR

I personally can't stand driving on 95 in south Florida and use the turnpike whenever i can, even up in the Fort lauderdale area.  I don't care what time of day it is, there are always lots of cars on the roads down in the Miami dade area and there is always some kind of accident at some point throughout the morning, afternoon or evening. 

I'm not here to debate traffic, just giving another viewpoint on the roadways. 

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 1

stay on 75 all the way to Lauderdale .....

<live in Canaveral

lived in Miami for 12 years

son went to FSU while we lived in Canav ...... compared the turnpike vs 10 to 95 route many times and 95 wins .... you can pay tolls and lose time!>

but in this case don't matter ..... stay on 75 and it picks up what we Fl people know as Alligator Alley and that takes you straight to Ft L ....... better route IMO  WAY LESS TRAFFIC once south of St Pete/Tampa 

Edited by Capt_BJ

I was thinking about 75, too.  But I'm almost certain that adds a solid 30 - 45 minutes to the drive vs cutting over to 95.  I would agree that you almost can't go wrong with any suggestion here.  All 4 routes have positives.

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

stay on 75 all the way to Lauderdale .....

<live in Canaveral

lived in Miami for 12 years

son went to FSU while we lived in Canav ...... compared the turnpike vs 10 to 95 route many times and 95 wins .... you can pay tolls and lose time!>

but in this case don't matter ..... stay on 75 and it picks up what we Fl people know as Alligator Alley and that takes you straight to Ft L ....... better route IMO  WAY LESS TRAFFIC once south of St Pete/Tampa 

That's probably the way we would go.  The drive down 75 is always easy and does drop you right off into the port.  And Alligator alley, while a boring drive is an easy drive too with 3 rest stops on it.

25 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

That's probably the way we would go.  The drive down 75 is always easy and does drop you right off into the port.  And Alligator alley, while a boring drive is an easy drive too with 3 rest stops on it.

I have never considered this, but will do so in the future.

Where would you suggest for an overnight in Florida en route?  I cannot drive straight through nor with only one overnight.  I normally stop in Chattanooga, then either Orange Park or the Gainesville or Orlando area.

I drove I-95 into the Miami area in order to reach the exit for Coral Gables.  I will never do that again!  How I kept from being involved in an accident has to be due to the intervention of my Guardian Angel!

34 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Where would you suggest for an overnight in Florida en route?  I cannot drive straight through nor with only one overnight.  I normally stop in Chattanooga, then either Orange Park or the Gainesville or Orlando area.

I drove I-95 into the Miami area in order to reach the exit for Coral Gables.  I will never do that again!  How I kept from being involved in an accident has to be due to the intervention of my Guardian Angel!

Map it out on Google, it does add a fairly significant amount of time to the drive going 75 vs 95/Turnpike.  And I don't think 75 through Tampa is much easier or pleasant than 95 through palm beach.  To overnight I guess anywhere in the Tampa area. Just TripAdvisor some hotels near there you would feel comfortable stopping time wise. Tons of options. 

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It does add more miles but the drive down 75 is usually an easy one.  

The Gainesville area is always a nice area to stop in. My son happened to go to UF! Lots of driving time between Gainesville and Naples was done.   It's definitely a shorter drive to go from Gainesville to Miami or Fort Lauderdale via the turnpike but 75 can be a different way to go. It will add another 45 minutes or so to take 75 but can be an easier drive and a nice change of pace if someone prefers to not be on 95 or the turnpike. 

If you want to go further south than Gainesville, staying in the Tampa area is another choice.  New Tampa will be quieter and cheaper than Tampa itself. 

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

We've found Lake City and Ocala to be great places to stop.  We drive from North Alabama which would be comparable to driving from Chattanooga.  We alternate between driving through Atlanta or through Tallahassee.  We wind up on I75 on either route.   Lake City has a lot of hotels near I75 (we like the Hampton) and lots of places to eat.  Google maps says Lake City is a five hour drive to Fort Lauderdale.  Ocala maybe an hour less.  However, hotels in Ocala usually book up.  Either place would provide an easy drive to the port.  In fact, sometimes we'll spend the night in Ocala, get up early, and drive to the port the day of departure.  Saves a bunch on hotel costs.

FWIW, we prefer the turnpike.  If you choose that route, a sunpass transponder is worth having.  No need to stop for tolls.  See sunpass.com.

Edited by RocketMan275

Thank you all for the input and suggestions. I think for the drive down we'll probably do I95. Driving from Illinois, we're driving thru Nashville and taking I65 to Montgomery for overnight (don't want to drive thru Chattanooga or Atlanta if I can avoid it), then catching I10 west of Tallahassee down to Melbourne for the night. That leaves us an easy 2 hr drive to the port. Since I'll be retiring next year, we don't have to rush back after the cruise. Might give US 27 a try on the way home, sounds interesting...

Sounds like a great idea.  I drove I75 just yesterday from Fort Lauderdale to Fort Myers.  Lot of cars on the road and it's only worse in Tampa.  Certainly not less than I95.

I dont see any reason to add 45 minutes to your drive unless you wanted to stop and see things. I75 does go through a LOT of great places to stop but if driving through, just take I95.  95 is a great road that is 3 lanes wide, easy drive from Jacksonville. 

US27 is a great idea if you want to stop at a place or two.  Highly recommend Gatorama.  I'll be making the US27 drive to Orlando next weekend. I drive that road all the time as I have a house up 27.  It's a nice drive and much different scenery. Only adds 30 minutes or so in drive time to Orlando.  If you end up deciding on 27 going back up and want more ideas, just let me know. 

Have a great trip! 

On 11/3/2018 at 10:20 AM, Raxter54 said:

Thank you all for the input and suggestions. I think for the drive down we'll probably do I95. Driving from Illinois, we're driving thru Nashville and taking I65 to Montgomery for overnight (don't want to drive thru Chattanooga or Atlanta if I can avoid it), then catching I10 west of Tallahassee down to Melbourne for the night. That leaves us an easy 2 hr drive to the port. Since I'll be retiring next year, we don't have to rush back after the cruise. Might give US 27 a try on the way home, sounds interesting...

Try backroads from Montgomery thru Eufala AL and Albany GA to I75.

16 hours ago, Trueblueky said:

Try backroads from Montgomery thru Eufala AL and Albany GA to I75.

Looks like Google Maps agrees with you. One of the routes from Montgomery to I75 goes thru both cities...

Edited by Raxter54

1. We're driving down from South Carolina next week on I 95.  DH lived in Coral Gables for 60+ years and we decided to move from Miami because of the horrendous traffic.  We allow 8 hours to drive from SC to about West Palm Beach then we allow another good hour + to get from West Palm Beach/Lake Worth area to Ft Lauderdale.  That's usually where the traffic stops on I-95.  Sometimes we jump off and go stoplight to stoplight on A1A just so we're at least moving instead of being dead stopped.  The turnpike goes too far out of the way if we're going to Pt Everglades and if there's a wreck, with only 2 lanes, lots of luck with that.  If you don't have a Sunpass, they take a photo of your license plate as you go thru and track you down to your home state.  You can get a Sunpass at any CVS or Publix grocery store in south Florida.

14 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:
  1. We're driving down from South Carolina next week on I 95.  DH lived in Coral Gables for 60+ years and we decided to move from Miami because of the horrendous traffic.  We allow 8 hours to drive from SC to about West Palm Beach then we allow another good hour + to get from West Palm Beach/Lake Worth area to Ft Lauderdale.  That's usually where the traffic stops on I-95.  Sometimes we jump off and go stoplight to stoplight on A1A just so we're at least moving instead of being dead stopped.  The turnpike goes too far out of the way if we're going to Pt Everglades and if there's a wreck, with only 2 lanes, lots of luck with that.  If you don't have a Sunpass, they take a photo of your license plate as you go thru and track you down to your home state.  You can get a Sunpass at any CVS or Publix grocery store in south Florida.

I drive Palm Beach to Fort Lauderadale on I95 plenty.  My parents live up there.  You are highly embellishing the traffic situation.  A1A faster than I95?  That's ridiculous.  Outside of a wreck, I can't even think of I95 being totally stopped traffic in Broward/Palm Beach.

The Turnpike is also not out of the way what-so-ever if going to port everglades.  It's the next exit on 595 and a couple miles, it's literally 2.5 minutes further.  Lol.  I do agree, and have said many times, I don't like the turnpike at all because it's only 2 lanes.  And a wreck on the turnpike is a total disaster.  It's why I generally avoid it nowadays.

I must say, the I95 hatred and horror stories on this site are just so dang bizarre.  Yes, the traffic is enough to suck if you drive to work in it every day.  But as a visitor?  Adding 20 - 30 minutes to your commute if you happen to be out during heavy rush hour?  Who even cares?!!?!

Edited by BNBR

I was relaying my personal experience on I 95.  I was on that road 6 days a week for 23 years. I don't care if you agree with me or not.  The OP wanted to know if they should take the turnpike or I 95 from I 75.  We didn't call I 95  'Useless One' for nothing.