choosing a cabin

sxphil

Have done a few cruises now and followed initial advice "mid Ship Balcony" and tbh that advise has done us proud as most balcony cabins are pretty similar

Now looking for towards our next booking thanks to a recent PPI Claim I am thinking perhaps a suite

Isn't RCCL's website poor in describing the various different types !  Is there better place to review rooms easily?

• Like 1

Are you looking at Oasis class or newer? If so, check out the Star, Sky and Sea description on the website.

Star gets a genie, drinks package, ultimate dining package, best seats at shows, etc. 

Star and Sky get all day access to Coastal Kitchen and easy disemabrkment. Sky gets reserved seats and no need for show reservations, except the comedy show. 

Sea gets CK for dinner only, as well as early boarding. 

On the older ships, I usually chose a balcony or JS.  The suite benefits on those ships just aren’t worth that much to me. 

• Like 1

The deck plans will show the square footage, so that give you an idea of the space you'll have.  An OS has a separate bedroom from the living space.  

A JS is a lovely way to cruise, without paying that "suite" price.  However, you don't get any "perks" except for priority boarding.  If there are only 2 of you, it's ample space to be comfortable!

We tried a grand suite in navigator 4 years ago, major problem is now I do not want anything less, have now did 6 grand suites in a row and will do a owner suite in a few weeks. Grand suites are very reasonably on olderships most were just a little over 200 a day per person, which can be cost of a balcony on brand new ships. . 

• Like 1

Make a note of the cruise maps and your ship direction. Make your decision on which side of the ship your cabin is on. Look to see if your room will be ocean facing or island facing during the cruise. Choose ocean side and the only view may be water until you get to a port.

9 hours ago, Earugo said:

Make a note of the cruise maps and your ship direction. Make your decision on which side of the ship your cabin is on. Look to see if your room will be ocean facing or island facing during the cruise. Choose ocean side and the only view may be water until you get to a port.

Well, considering the vast majority of cruises are round-trip between a variety of islands, you're probably going to see a mix of land and water from any ocean view window / balcony / deck regardless of where it's located on the ship, with the vast majority of the views (thankfully) being ocean.  

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I prefer most any balcony as long as there are cabins above us, cabins below us, and cabins across the hall.  Then we have our big box warehouse club travel department mark our reservation "no upgrades".  That upgrade suite may be right under the pool deck.  That blank area across from an available balcony may include a scullery or mop sink room.  That balcony cabin could be right above the Schooner Bar. 

Signed,

One Who's Been There 

15 hours ago, Earugo said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but your advice here is awful.  Most of the time the ship is at sea, you will not see anything but sea.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, sxphil said:

Have done a few cruises now and followed initial advice "mid Ship Balcony" and tbh that advise has done us proud as most balcony cabins are pretty similar

Now looking for towards our next booking thanks to a recent PPI Claim I am thinking perhaps a suite

Isn't RCCL's website poor in describing the various different types !  Is there better place to review rooms easily?

If you do a google search on ship cabins, there are several sites that have pix.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:15 PM, sxphil said:

The website is dreadful in general, but worse with describing different types of rooms. Huge corporations like this should in my opinion have more information about its cabins. There should be videos of each category, and virtual reality programs where you can look around at the room like you are there. There also should be advice for choosing rooms in different parts of the ship. Pros and cons of high up in the ship, lower in the ship, being AFT, Forward and midship. 

1 minute ago, JAMESCC said:

The website is dreadful in general, but worse with describing different types of rooms. Huge corporations like this should in my opinion have more information about its cabins. There should be videos of each category, and virtual reality programs where you can look around at the room like you are there. There also should be advice for choosing rooms in different parts of the ship. Pros and cons of high up in the ship, lower in the ship, being AFT, Forward and midship. 

Amen to that

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, sxphil said:

A search on YouTube with ship's name and type of stateroom or stateroom number will often get  you a good view of that type of stateroom or others of the same category.