Ship to Replace Anthem in Bayonne

5 hours ago, gaylemh said:

Exactly, the price may never go lower.  No, it's not wanting a certain cabin.  If it's a cruise I'm sure I want to go on, I'll book when it is first released, and check for price drops.  On most of my cruises, the price when it was first released, never went lower. If the price does go lower, I call and get the lower price. Either way it's a win.  Bonus is getting a great cabin.

But what if it doesn't go down until after final pymt?

5 hours ago, gaylemh said:

Exactly, the price may never go lower. Either way it's a win.  Bonus is getting a great cabin.

I suppose you hate United (or flying in general) so much, that you would rather give RCI more money than really needed.

Honestly,  this is a little shocking to me.  The Oasis class ships are not really designed for cold weather.  A larger portion of their activities are outdoors (boardwalk, aqua theater, Central Park, slides, zip lines, etc). I don’t see the aquatheater and boardwalk operating in winter blizzard conditions.  The Quantum class was an IDEAL ship to sail out of CL as it had soo much indoor space for entertainment such as the seaplex and 270 and two indoor pools.  

Is the ship only there for the summer and being replaced for the winter?  I haven’t been able to access the itineraries yet online. 

I hope this doesnt become a Norwegian Breakaway type debacle.  Sailing that ship in a cold weather was painful as everything was outdoor entertainment and pool space.

I wonder how low the prices can go for winter cruises.  The Anthem with KSF we had booked for 11 nights on the nov 25th, 2018 sailing for $2200 in an inside for a family of four. Ended up cancelling and going to Europe instead.  There are even more cabins to fill this time.  Hopefully, the prices stay the same or even lower for off peak.  I am sure the peak season prices will be higher but off peak can really bottom out with Kids in school.

Edited by rimmit

Glad Oasis is in Bayonne for 2020...The prices are too high for me to pull the trigger on a cruise right now, when I know I can go anytime the ship is there...so now, it's time to wait for a better deal in the winter months (I'm not so picky on cabin that I need 1st dibs, nor am I gonna try to squash in those 6 person interiors, so I figure I don't lose by waiting:)...

I'm not expecting to get on for $3K + grats (or $3600ish) for 6 like I did on Anthem this year...but I'm hoping for $5K+grats all in (and will settle for $6K...right now, I'm at $7500+grats when I book any 2 cabins...that's too high for me, especially with that itinerary:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

12 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Honestly,  this is a little shocking to me.  The Oasis class ships are not really designed for cold weather.

She's only in lovely Bayonne from mid-May till early October. Hopefully, global warming will eliminate any winter during that stretch.

Edited by Biker19
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Honestly,  this is a little shocking to me.  The Oasis class ships are not really designed for cold weather.  A larger portion of their activities are outdoors (boardwalk, aqua theater, Central Park, slides, zip lines, etc). I don’t see the aquatheater and boardwalk operating in winter blizzard conditions.  The Quantum class was an IDEAL ship to sail out of CL as it had soo much indoor space for entertainment such as the seaplex and 270 and two indoor pools.  

Is the ship only there for the summer and being replaced for the winter?  I haven’t been able to access the itineraries yet online. 

I hope this doesnt become a Norwegian Breakaway type debacle.  Sailing that ship in a cold weather was painful as everything was outdoor entertainment and pool space.

I wonder how low the prices can go for winter cruises.  The Anthem with KSF we had booked for 11 nights on the nov 25th, 2018 sailing for $2200 in an inside for a family of four. Ended up cancelling and going to Europe instead.  There are even more cabins to fill this time.  Hopefully, the prices stay the same or even lower for off peak.  I am sure the peak season prices will be higher but off peak can really bottom out with Kids in school.

This has been talked about ad nauseum.  Oasis will not be in Bayonne/CL in the winter.  It's May into Oct only.  So, you can quit being "shocked".

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, BND said:

This has been talked about ad nauseum.  Oasis will not be in Bayonne/CL in the winter.  It's May into Oct only.  So, you can quit being "shocked".

I have stopped being shocked.  I read the from pages 9-11 of the thread and must have missed that it was only part of the year.  I tried to access the website this AM to see when it was sailing out of NYC but as you know the RCI website is not so great.  I also mentioned in my original post  that i was asking if this was only part of the year and from pages 9-11 I must have missed that it was just the summer months.  

I have seen cruise lines do dumb things in the past (NCL Breakaway out of NYC full time and also Northern Europe itins this summer) so cruise lines can do dumb things. 

I apologize and will try and read the whole thread from the beginning next time.

Edited by rimmit

1 minute ago, rimmit said:

I have stopped being shocked.  I read the from pages 9-11 of the thread and must have missed that it was only part of the year.  I tried to access the website this AM to see when it was sailing out of NYC but as you know the RCI website is not so great.  I also mentioned in my original post  that i was asking if this was only part of the year and from pages 9-11 I must have missed that it was just the summer months.  

I have seen cruise lines do dumb things in the past (NCL Breakaway out of NYC and also Northern Europe itins this summer) so cruise lines can do dumb things. 

I apologize and will try and read read the whole thread from the beginning next time.

The cruises aren't on the RCI site yet.  They are only currently being offered to C&A members and won't be on the site right away.  You have to call.  We're just waiting til they show up on the site.  We plan to book a b2b in May 2020 because I plan to retire in April 2020.  We may just end up doing Grandeur instead depending on what is available the cost.  We've been on Oasis fora  b2b already and have been on Explorer 4 times (same class as Adventure) so neither is really "new" to us.  Plus, I love Grandeur for the relaxation and ease of getting to Baltimore for us.

1 minute ago, BND said:

The cruises aren't on the RCI site yet.  They are only currently being offered to C&A members and won't be on the site right away.  You have to call.  We're just waiting til they show up on the site.  We plan to book a b2b in May 2020 because I plan to retire in April 2020.  We may just end up doing Grandeur instead depending on what is available the cost.  We've been on Oasis fora  b2b already and have been on Explorer 4 times (same class as Adventure) so neither is really "new" to us.  Plus, I love Grandeur for the relaxation and ease of getting to Baltimore for us.

We love the Grandeur.  It’s just so easy and convenient and small.  Not the best for the kids, but it’s still a great time

1 minute ago, BND said:

Not entirely accurate. It is on the website. You just need to backdoor the search. You can search by Leaving From Cape Liberty and then select Oasis as the ship, and select any of the discussed itineraries. 

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

She's only in lovely Bayonne from mid-May till early October. Hopefully, global warming will eliminate any winter during that stretch.

I'm booked on the October 18-25 and there is one more after that October 25-November 1.

While not winter, that is pushing it temperature wise.

Edited by Croozin Soozin

14 minutes ago, Croozin Soozin said:

I'm booked on the October 18-25 and there is one more after that October 25-November 1.

Hope the folks on the last couple of sailings bring their parkas.

Biker, who can already foresee the complaints threads about that.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I suppose you hate United (or flying in general) so much, that you would rather give RCI more money than really needed.

I have family members that refuse to fly as well, not worth the expense, time and hassle they say, when they can be dropped off at the cruise port hours from home.

I just did a quick price comparison between Oasis & Harmony for May 2020. Harmony is consistently $500-$600 cheaper for balconies.  I know I can book flights, transportation & overnight hotel for less than that. So that eliminates the expense factor.

As for the time & hassle, well, it is nice to jump in your car and be home in a few hours.  I get that. I just prefer Florida because....well....its Florida!  Plus, I usually sail the cooler months of early spring/late fall so warm sailaways are important to me.

Everyone has their priority.

59 minutes ago, Croozin Soozin said:

I just had a flashback to the pre--Halloween snowstorm in the Northeast in 2011.  About a foot of snow fell in the outskirts of the city, much more come down in New England. I think NYC only had 2-3 inches of snow itself but Central Park (the real one) lost a few hundred trees as the combined weight of snow and leaves topped them.

Freak snowstorm. I guess if they was to happen again, RCI would treat it like a hurricane and get the ship out of there while cancelling the cruise.

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I just had a flashback to the pre--Halloween snowstorm in the Northeast in 2011.  About a foot of snow fell in the outskirts of the city, much more come down in New England. I think NYC only had 2-3 inches of snow itself but Central Park (the real one) lost a few hundred trees as the combined weight of snow and leaves topped them.

Freak snowstorm. I guess if they was to happen again, RCI would treat it like a hurricane and get the ship out of there while cancelling the cruise.

I remember photos of crewmembers shoveling snow on the Explorer pool deck.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Hope the folks on the last couple of sailings bring their parkas.

I think it might be cool to sit in Central Park admiring the ice sculptures.

And the Trellis bar can be replaced with a true Ice Bar.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I remember photos of crewmembers shoveling snow on the Explorer pool deck.

We definitely had some snow in Feb 2013 when we were on the Explorer.  Makes for a nice time in the hot tub.

Edited by rimmit

25 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

No repo coming up....all non-rev:classic_rolleyes:

A question for all the super veterans.

what is the purpose of a non revenue move?  Do they just do a ton of maintenance on those days.   Likely maintenance that could severely impact passenger comfort such as climate control, plumbing, etc?  It has to be pretty significant maintence to pass up the revenue to not schedule a repo and just move a ship.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not any of your business, but I have some medical issues that make it much more convenient for me not to fly.   By the time I would spend money on flights, car  service to the airports, hotel and meals the day before, it very rarely turns out cheaper to fly.  I would also rather start my vacation in an hour, than spend a day dealing with airports.

• Like 3