What's up with having different dates for when excursions can be booked

OnTheJourney

3 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Well, we might as well enjoy Viking while we can because family ownership is not going to last forever. 

How right you are.  The only thing that stays the same is change.  And Mr. Hagen appears to be in very good health but he is mid 70s and will inevitably step down at some point.  SeaDream is much the same (much smaller) owned by another Norwegian billionaire.  It was so good when they started but over time have lost experienced crew and replaced them with a lot of new faces.  The ships are old too.  Inevitably they get absorbed by a bigger fish or fade away.  Viking is unique in that Mr. Hagen has been for a long time one of the true visionaries in the passenger shipping industry.  His energy level for work amazes me and I am younger than he.  Lets do enjoy the wonderful onboard experience as much as we can for as long as we can.🍸

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I'm with you.  I am a lifetime Cunarder going back to the old Queen Mary (as a kid) and Cunard has portrayed itself as this formal, exclusive, blah, blah, blah.  They do a poor job on QM2 of enforcing anything.  Funny though is that the QE2, when launched, was very trendy and hip.  Not formal at all.  The tiny Princess Grill was the only "exclusive area" on the ship.  One could even get a drink at the hard to find Princess Grill Bar even if in Steerage.  There was no Queens Grill, that was originally the 736 Club, the very popular disco. For the most part, imho now, Carnival Corp has seriously screwed Cunard up.  And the obsession with selling the formal "ocean liner" experience to those who have no idea how to behave is laughable.  One of many reasons we much prefer Viking and have not sailed Cunard in quite a while.

Totally agree Jim. Carnival has done exactly the same with P&O and Princess, which is why we moved to Viking.

Other than attending a Cunard interview & receiving an offer from them, I never did get aboard a Cunarder. Really sad seeing some of these traditions being eliminated.

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

And then we can start quoting statistics about family-held business that don't survive the second generation's ownership, if they even make it that far, let alone make it to the 3rd generation. 

Totally agree on that score. Even with our favourite biodynamic milk where I live. Family business and very successful was sold recently to a Venture capitalist interstate. Within 6 months they changed the bottle, reduced it’s size (but kept the same price) and even removed the biodynamic process that had made the brand famous. Their FB page is now full of complaints and now their product is at risk. We don’t buy it anymore. Suspect it will go bust. 

On 1/9/2019 at 10:12 AM, zitsky said:

It's insane to get up at 3am to book excursions. You shouldn't need to do that. 

Undoubtedly true...but I know others on my roll call talked about doing it too...undoubtedly it was those, like myself, who never sailed with Viking and felt they preferred to give themselves the best chance to get what they wanted. Actually, it was sort of fun! 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

On 1/9/2019 at 10:54 AM, TayanaLorna said:

Yes, booking excursions is rather uncivilized.  We rose at 3 am because we wanted what we wanted and to be done with it.  I followed Roll Calls from previously cruises on the same itinerary and learned what sold out right away.  Perhaps not all itinerary Optionals are as popular.  Booking includeds for us is no big rush because we like later excursions unless we want to do an included and optional on same day and need to coordinate time.  Seems most people like AM excursions.

I tend to agree with what you're saying. I am one who also likes to book excursions for any cruise way ahead of time and get it over with so I don't have to worry about it once onboard. Since this was a totally new system of booking (referring to the varied dates based on cabin type) I figured I'd maximize my chances by jumping on it. Did the same today with booking a concert that is in June that I really want to go to...and so booked seats within a half-hour of when they became available. Also...I had looked at the entire list of excursions weeks ago already, and made out a tentative schedule for the entire itinerary that suited me. If a few excursions were not available, the domino effect comes into play and could change around the whole planned schedule into something less convenient. Being a retired educator, I guess it's the teacher in me that drives some of this....a preoccupation with planning, organizing, attention to details, and so forth. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

On 1/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, Jim Avery said:

I prefer Viking's way compared to many other lines.  Cunard, for example, have certain areas of the ship reserved only for the upper accommodations.  On Viking the entire ship is open to all.  

Bottom line - any distinction based on your cabin class (except for what things are included in your fare like laundry and what is stocked in your fridge) essentially vanishes once you board a Viking ship. The crew treats all of us the same and wonderfully too. What’s not to like?

• Like 2

On 1/9/2019 at 10:58 AM, zitsky said:

I don't remember having trouble getting excursions on river.  Maybe ocean is different.

I'm not going to apologize for having an opinion!

Ocean is different from river in many ways.  I belong to some Facebook groups and people are always conflating the two experiences.  I'm glad that CC has them separated - there's less confusion

On 1/10/2019 at 9:37 AM, zitsky said:

Thanks.  We are guaranteed an included activity in each port.  Then we can always do private tours if we don't get what we want.

You will get the included tour - that is guaranteed.  You might not get the time slot you want.  It's the optional tours people get up at 3am for - and if you are fussy about the time slot on the included tours.

I got up at 3am to make sure we got the St Kitts Railway and the Barbados Photography Tour - which was limited to the number of people who could fit in the photographer's van.

There are people who cancel, move things around, etc.  If you don't get what you want, you just visit the shore excursions folks and they will help you out.  It's all very civilized.  No long lines of people pushing and shoving at a counter.  There are 3 or 4 people sitting at desks.  If you have to wait, there are comfy chairs, and when it's your turn, you join them at the desk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

Ocean is different from river in many ways.  I belong to some Facebook groups and people are always conflating the two experiences.  I'm glad that CC has them separated - there's less confusion

Agree that there is confusion there but CC doesn’t have a proper River cruise thread dedicated to Viking other than the roll calls. And that creates confusion and noise that isn’t relevant to everyone. 

15 hours ago, Pushka said:

Agree that there is confusion there but CC doesn’t have a proper River cruise thread dedicated to Viking other than the roll calls. And that creates confusion and noise that isn’t relevant to everyone. 

That’s true and I wish they did, since most of the posts are for Viking. It would help those sailing on other river cruise lines too, because they wouldn’t have to wade through all the Viking posts. They could do Viking category and have an Other River Cruise lines category. 

Edited by Cyber Kat
Better word choice

On 1/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, Jim Avery said:

I prefer Viking's way compared to many other lines.  Cunard, for example, have certain areas of the ship reserved only for the upper accommodations.  On Viking the entire ship is open to all.  

Well, so much for NOT getting up at 3 a.m. yesterday morning when my dining reservations opened. Completely forgot about it all day until now. In looking at both specialty restaurants, there is basically nothing left for early dining times (we like to eat around 6:30 at the latest), and nothing at all left for some of the 'at-sea' days, which is what I was really hoping for. There are later times open (8:30, 9:00), but no way do I want to eat that late. I'd just feel terrible afterwards by eating a big meal that late. So...once again not much convinces me that this system is preferable over what I'm used to on other lines. Guess I'll wait and see what happens once we board. I could kick myself for forgetting about getting up early like I did for excursion booking. 

18 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Well, so much for NOT getting up at 3 a.m. yesterday morning when my dining reservations opened. Completely forgot about it all day until now. In looking at both specialty restaurants, there is basically nothing left for early dining times (we like to eat around 6:30 at the latest), and nothing at all left for some of the 'at-sea' days, which is what I was really hoping for. There are later times open (8:30, 9:00), but no way do I want to eat that late. I'd just feel terrible afterwards by eating a big meal that late. So...once again not much convinces me that this system is preferable over what I'm used to on other lines. Guess I'll wait and see what happens once we board. I could kick myself for forgetting about getting up early like I did for excursion booking. 

You are right, I also don't like this system and did not book a single dining event in advance of sailing.  At lunch, just book at the Port side entry to the World Cafe.  No problems getting what we wanted on a near full ship.  Even Manfredi's Private Room for my birthday.

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

You are right, I also don't like this system and did not book a single dining event in advance of sailing.  At lunch, just book at the Port side entry to the World Cafe.  No problems getting what we wanted on a near full ship.  Even Manfredi's Private Room for my birthday.

Jim...wait...I thought a few posts ago you were indicating that this system all works out fine and that I shouldn't worry so much (?) or was that just in reference to booking excursions? 

1 minute ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Jim...wait...I thought a few posts ago you were indicating that this system all works out fine and that I shouldn't worry so much (?) or was that just in reference to booking excursions? 

Only had one cup of coffee, sorry.  I was agreeing with you getting up at 3am is dumb.  It all works out when you get onboard with the dining.  Who knows what you want to eat months in advance??  Really, you will not go hungry on these ships.😎

9 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

I'm sure...but really wanted to get a spot at either Chef's table or Manfredi's. 

I bet you get what you want.  Many people have been on these boards worrying about booking.  How many have come on saying they just got off VO and could never eat at Manfredi's or Chef's Table?  I don't recall any but if they are out there please post.  

50 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

We sail in veranda cabins, and do not have the option to book dining reservations in advance. Even so, on both of our cruises we have been able to make multiple reservations for both Chef's Table and Manfredi's. Towards the end of the cruise, things did fill up, but if you book early you should be fine. I have read that sometimes you can even just walk up and get a seat. I believe that they only use a portion of all possible dining slots for advance reservations, reserving others for on board booking.

You may not get the time you want, but it can still be done. We ate later than we usually do, but that wasn't a problem. In Chef's Table, it's a tasting menu and the portions are small, and in Manfredi's we don't order all courses, so we weren't stuffed afterwards. A nice stroll around the ship afterwards and we were fine. Even if you aren't eating until 8, you can stop in the World Cafe when it opens and have some sushi or whatever little appetizer you choose.

Edited by lackcreativity

16 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I bet you get what you want.  Many people have been on these boards worrying about booking.  How many have come on saying they just got off VO and could never eat at Manfredi's or Chef's Table?  I don't recall any but if they are out there please post.  

Thanks again Jim. See how it plays out. I just booked both restaurants for 6:00...one on the last sea day and the other on embarkation day. Lots of variables here not yet knowing the entertainment schedule or what the MDR might be serving. 

Even if you got up early for dining reservations chances are you would not snag an early reservation for a sea day or an early time at all.  Seems most everyone wants to dine early.  Being first timers, I booked 8 pm for both venues just in case.  Once on board, however, we were able to book Chefs Table for 3 early times and one Manfredi's for 6 pm.  We found Manfredi's was the most difficult to get reservations or walk in and only had the two.  Like everyone says, do it in the first couple of days on board.  At least then you will know what menu the Chefs Table has.  

41 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is there an email reminder from Viking or do you do the math in your head... 

No email reminder from Viking.  You can either do the math in your head or count the days on your calendar and then put on your email account as a reminder in your calendar and send yourself the reminder.  Very easy