Registration for Culinary Classes

Hambagahle

The last time I took a cooking class - it was a series thereof - on Regent it was the Cordon Bleu on Mariner and Voyager.   Fantastic!  Now there is the Culinary Centre and I suppose a lot of separate (unrelated?)  classes to choose from.  Can someone please tell me (a) if the classes are treated like excursions (or some excursions) and are free and if not (b) what do they cost as a rule?  and (c) when and how do I sign up if I want to take one or more ??  Any comments as to how good they are - or not - would be welcome too.   I have taken several classes on Oceania which I think are run by the same people (not sure though?) and found them "so/so".  But I love to cook and would love to attend some good classes...

Many thanks - Gerry

We've done a few, some are in conjunction with shopping trips in the port where you source your ingredients then come back to the ship and cook up a feast for everyone.  I believe the average cost is about $89 or so and you can sign up via the website, but we've also had to call Regent before to get in one.

I've enjoyed the ones I've taken and learned some good tricks, but IMO you're basically paying for a few tips and a nice meal - that you've cooked.  We did one in Riga where we all went to the Central Market and it was like a scavenger hunt - we all had items we had to purchase - then we went back and cooked up an amazing lunch.  We had some local wines and other libations with lunch, and it was just an overall great day.  

I've enjoyed them and try to do at least one on each cruise if possible.

We haven't taken a class yet, but have one booked for our June cruise. You can book on the website, and they are available for booking well before the excursions. We signed up for a class a couple of months ago, and are still two weeks away from being able to reserve shore excursions.

On our cruise all of the culinary classes were $89. They have classes on 9 of the 12 days, with a choice of morning or afternoon on sea days. You can use OBC to pay for it.

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

We've done a few, some are in conjunction with shopping trips in the port where you source your ingredients then come back to the ship and cook up a feast for everyone.  I believe the average cost is about $89 or so and you can sign up via the website, but we've also had to call Regent before to get in one.

I've enjoyed the ones I've taken and learned some good tricks, but IMO you're basically paying for a few tips and a nice meal - that you've cooked.  We did one in Riga where we all went to the Central Market and it was like a scavenger hunt - we all had items we had to purchase - then we went back and cooked up an amazing lunch.  We had some local wines and other libations with lunch, and it was just an overall great day.  

I've enjoyed them and try to do at least one on each cruise if possible.

We love the food excursions that Regent offers (as you know, only on Explorer and only in some ports).  They are pricey excursions but definitely worth it.  

Thanks.   During our Cordon Bleu course (5 sessions) on the Mariner the Exec Chef and Cordon Bleu chef took us to the market and lectured on how to choose fish.  So I think I know what the market tours are and would like to do one.

How long before the cruise should I be looking to see what I can find?

• 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, Fairfield Nana said:

I took one of these cooking classes on Oceania Marina in 2015 and had a ball. Would love to take one on our upcoming Canada cruise in 2020 on board the Navigator if they offer them. I did not see this as a possible undertaking they offer?

We believe the classes Regent offers are only available aboard the Explorer.

Silver Sweethearts - obviously you are correct - they are only available on Explorer and will be offered on Splendor.  One major difference between the culinary classes on Oceania and Regent is that Regent has individual cooking stations while on Oceania two people have to share.  I'm looking forward to not sharing on our upcoming Explorer cruise.

We've done them on Regent Explorer----do you learn, a little.  But I can say they are a lot of fun---good time and you enjoy what you cook.  They fill up fast so book as soon as you see them come---if some are filled, has to be wait listed as some people cancel out during the cruise.

11 hours ago, Fairfield Nana said:

I took one of these cooking classes on Oceania Marina in 2015 and had a ball. Would love to take one on our upcoming Canada cruise in 2020 on board the Navigator if they offer them. I did not see this as a possible undertaking they offer?

There are no cookery classes offered on board Navigator (only available on Explorer and Splendor, when launched)

However you may find there are excursions offered which involve a foodie tour, cookery class or similar on shore. Have a good look through the excursions for each port when they are released for your cruise.

I realise that the Cooking classes are in the Culinary Centre and that this only exists on Explorer (and will on Splendour)...however when I took the two Cordon Bleu series they were given in what is now (I think) Prime 7 - the old Latitudes restaurant.   it was a bit difficult to prep etc at a dining table but we all managed.  the ones I have taken on Oceania were on Riviera and of course in their purpose built "school kitchen".  I cannot say I enjoyed the teacher and unfortunately she was teaching on both the cruises we took!   

Will keep checking for a listing but since our Splendour cruise is a year away I doubt I shall find any shortly.

48 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I realise that the Cooking classes are in the Culinary Centre and that this only exists on Explorer (and will on Splendour)...however when I took the two Cordon Bleu series they were given in what is now (I think) Prime 7 - the old Latitudes restaurant.   it was a bit difficult to prep etc at a dining table but we all managed.  the ones I have taken on Oceania were on Riviera and of course in their purpose built "school kitchen".  I cannot say I enjoyed the teacher and unfortunately she was teaching on both the cruises we took!   

Will keep checking for a listing but since our Splendour cruise is a year away I doubt I shall find any shortly.

Hi Gerry,

While the Cordon Bleu classes were dramatically better than the classes in the Culinary Center (and they cost a heck of lot more money as well), the area where you will be cooking is fabulous.  You have your own work station - unlike on Oceania where they share.  

If/when I notice the classes listed for our Splendor cruise, I'll let you know.

Jackie

Thanks, Jackie.  If you see the classes please e mail me...

personally I am not bothered by the “sharing” though I do prefer working at my own pace - and, dare I say! Knife skills!!  I am just worried about getting the same instructor who I know has been on both lines...I suppose I can always cancel though!

My wife took one of these classes when onboard an earlier Explorer cruise.  She is signed-up for another on our upcoming BTB Stockholm-London-London August-September cruise. Good experience, and she is a gourmet cook. 

Used OBCs for the upcoming class.  So--in a matter speaking, "free".  Well, not-really, but a good way to spend those Credits now that Regent allows immediate use of OBCs for "enhanced" shore excursions and these classes.  Thus, several St. Petersburg trips are in the hopper, plus that Class.  Still have to think of a way to use remainder of the OBCs. Something will occur.

Regards,

GOARMY!

The culinary excursions are great.  I have only taken a couple of the cooking classes, and they were ok, not great.  Have done on Oceania and Regent, and instructor was the same person.

i looked at the cooking classes for my current cruise, and the ones I was interested in were already full.  That was probably 4 months ago, so I would look as soon as excursions open up.

• 2 months later...

Hello---not sure if anyone can help but we've booked a French cooking class in the culinary arts kitchen on the Explorer. It's not a food excursion. Ours is from 4 to 6 and we have a restaurant reservation at 7.   

Is there much actual eating involved in the classes?  I'm wondering whether we should reschedule our dinner reservation.

Thanks for any response.

While no one forces you to eat what you have prepared, most people enjoy eating it.  You are also served wine when you are preparing the food. For this reason, we do not book afternoon cooking sessions and prefer those offered in the morning.

I took a couple of the cooking classes on an Explorer crossing. Yes, you eat what you cook (and sometimes what the instructor cooks). I found I skipped the regular meal (lunch in one case, dinner in the other) on those days.

One pointer on selecting a cooking class: consider whether it is cuisine-oriented or skills-oriented. Cuisine-oriented, offered with titles like "Mediterranean Cooking," concentrate on recipes from the area and provide little by way of new skills. But they're fun. Skills-oriented, offered with titles like "Gone Fishing," concentrate on teaching techniques. I learn a lot from those. And they're also fun.

Alas, Regent did not offer a "knife skills" class, at least on the my sailing. And they provide most of the ingredients pre-cut and pre-measured.  Prior to the cruise, I had taken a 5-part cooking skills class on land. The first session was 2 hours devoted to knife skills. The most useful cooking class ever. It would be great if Regent offered that, but I can see why more than a dozen people wielding sharp knives on a moving ship may not be the best idea in the world.

• Haha 1

It's really a lot of fun, and I think having your own cook top and not sharing is a lot better than "O"s.  The only thing book early as they seem to fill up fast.  We did it on the  Explorer  and looking forward to them on the Splendor early next year.