Diamond lounges are over capacity and guests are being turned away

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Yeah, same with us.  We spent all of our time in the CL on Radiance (actually like that lounge better than the DL on Radiance series anyway) since the DL was empty.   Agree...felt sorry for the concierge and servers in that lounge.  We were one of the top cruisers with just over 350 points on that one.  One lone Pinnacle beat us out for #1 spot.  Love Alaska cruises!!  

It was not quite that empty on the August 31 sailing this year, but being larger the CL was generally more comfortable to hang in.   We split time between them.  

JC

15 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm 2 cruises way from Diamond. With my luck, the DL will be eliminated as soon as I get there.....which at my current rate of travel will be in 2 years....or next year if I book a JS. Better enjoy it while you have it! :classic_tongue:

Either way, improved cabin discounts and better perks should be offered. At least make the discounts conbinable with whatever "sale" is going on. If you can combine your 30% off beverage package with the BOGO 50% off (or 25% off), maybe more would buy the beverage package which could lessen the crowding in the lounge.

Same here, we're on about the same timetable to reach D. 

An "exclusive" lounge, due to brand loyalty, is not something I'm interested in.  I'm very much looking forward to the drink coupons though, as that is a true money saver and a very nice incentive for us.

I've always been able to find plenty of open loungers and tables at any number of bars/lounges on all of the ships we've been on, yet it's the D, D+, and P's that we hear complaining about overcrowding.   That won't be me when I reach those levels because I just don't care about an exclusive lounge.  I would be happy if they just opened them up to all.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

I didn't say that.  I said I would read the reviews before I went to look at the car.  It's called research.  I do it before I book excursions.  I was merely trying to put forward the thought that instead of standing in a lounge waiting for a drink, I would prefer OBC, drinks on my card and another perk.  I was not criticizing the lounge nor its inhabitants.  I have seen others voice similar sentiment.  I don't understand why you are focused on my post.

We already have three C&A HH drinks loaded on our Seapass cards each evening. At least RC is also giving us options of other venues to enjoy our C&A HH drinks if the DLs are too busy. 

28 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

An "exclusive" lounge, due to brand loyalty, is not something I'm interested in.  I'm very much looking forward to the drink coupons though, as that is a true money saver and a very nice incentive for us.

I've always been able to find plenty of open loungers and tables at any number of bars/lounges on all of the ships we've been on, yet it's the D, D+, and P's that we hear complaining about overcrowding.   That won't be me when I reach those levels because I just don't care about an exclusive lounge.  I would be happy if they just opened them up to all.

I will definitely take the DL for a "test drive" when I hit D.  Probably more than once just in case my first time coincides with an over-crowded/rude crowd condition.

I'm more of a bounce around the ship person and usually spend the late afternoons lingering by the pool/Jacuzzi area or Schooner bar/English pub. If anything, I'll probably use the DL early in the day to escape the windjammer crowds. 

As for socializing, I find the vast majority of cruisers to be friendly no matter where in the ship i am. So I don't need an "exclusive lounge" for that purpose. But for those that cruise more frequently than us (a few times a year), having a place where they can bump into other frequent cruisers is not necessarily a bad idea. But that brings us full circle, how to control the ever-growing crowds.

• Like 1

Maybe combine all of the lounges (DL, CL and SL) into one to relive crowding?

I'm not even sure why there is a suite lounge.  If I book a suite, that room will be my lounge! I'm spending as much time in there as possible. Especially if it's a RSL or Aqua-theater.

On 12/4/2018 at 6:46 PM, island lady said:

We are on Oasis now.  Just attended the upper tier at the usual Aqua theater venue.  There are over 400 Ds and over 200 D+.  Not that unusually high.  Blaze is open for overflow.  Timing is everything, so if you go in just after first seating 5:30...there are plenty of seats available.  

Drink vouchers available all over the ship and at many, many bars on this big floating city.  No one is going to go thirsty.  😉  

I Hope you and Bucky have a fantastic cruise.

On 12/4/2018 at 6:59 PM, Host Clarea said:

Yep, punish those D/D+ members.

They are that's why I booked Grand Princess for Hawaii cruise and P&O Ventura for Europe next year.

Our only RC cruise is on Independence next year when normally all our cruises would be on RCCL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I'm 2 cruises way from Diamond. With my luck, the DL will be eliminated as soon as I get there.....which at my current rate of travel will be in 2 years....or next year if I book a JS. Better enjoy it while you have it! :classic_tongue:

Either way, improved cabin discounts and better perks should be offered. At least make the discounts conbinable with whatever "sale" is going on. If you can combine your 30% off beverage package with the BOGO 50% off (or 25% off), maybe more would buy the beverage package which could lessen the crowding in the lounge.

Don't listen to the gloom & doom crowd.  They have been bitching & complaining for demise of the D from the DL for the  5 years.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Well that will certainly end the complaining about crowds!

Doesn't anyone get it.  RCCL is not interested in loyal passengers who suck up free  cheap drinks - RCCL is going after first  time  cruisers who buy the drink package,  buy  ship excursions,  buy photos,  buy specialty dining packages, buy   trinkets etc.  

I am sure we will see a decrease in loyalty benefits across the levels.  In fact the D+ BOGO  first night dining  is often  worthless as a benefit.  I bought a First Night Done Right ( that was available to all passengers) and our first night specialty dining will be  less than if we used the D+ BOGO voucher.

Last Cruise I prepaid the FNDR and used the D+ BOGO on 2 other nights.

7 hours ago, island lady said:

Yeah, same with us.  We spent all of our time in the CL on Radiance (actually like that lounge better than the DL on Radiance series anyway) since the DL was empty.   Agree...felt sorry for the concierge and servers in that lounge.  We were one of the top cruisers with just over 350 points on that one.  One lone Pinnacle beat us out for #1 spot.  Love Alaska cruises!!  

Will see how busy it is this year sailing Alaska. Boarding Ovation July 5th then sailing Radiance for the northbound Alaska route the following week.  We also like the cl better on that class as well.  Have only sailed on sister ship serenade and the dl was standing room only every night I checked.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:45 AM, Host Clarea said:

And maybe avoid Oasis class.

I agree.  With ships that hold 6,000 passengers, you're going to have a larger number of upper tier C&A.  We found the Allure public areas to be overcrowded in general on our cruise.  We won't sail the mega ships any more.  

Maybe I just am too naive to realize, but I have never noticed anyone being rude to me in the DL or the SL.    That includes pinnacles.  On Anthem met the nicest pinnacle couple ever.  They never asked me my status or if I belonged in the SL.  Most "reserved people"  I've met on a cruise were in Michael's Club on Celebrity.  But I didn't take offense.  Best thing about SL and DL is the coffee maker.

2 hours ago, fridaythe13th said:

I was hesitant on my first lounge visit but figured I'd give it a shot.  Didn't like it and the people were very unwelcoming and it was crowded.  They looked at me like I had two heads. I was the one who was smiling and saying hi!  We got our cocktail and moved outside.

21 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

My wife would be thrilled to hear that.  We couldn’t get Savingnon Blanc in the DL or CL on the Ovation in 2017 (except a couple of times when the concierge snuck some in) on the Radiance in September 2018 or the Symphony November 2018.  

JC

Sail in Europe.

We have never ever not been able to get a Sauvignon Blanc and sometimes a New Zealand Marlborough.

7 hours ago, island lady said:

Yes...but oh so worth it!!  Three times for us...want to go back again soon.  

Yes it was so beautiful last year that we are going back this year.  Have a side 2 side booked then a 6 day land tour.  Last year, I spent more time in one week on our Alaska cruise balcony, than all the previous cruises combined.  On our non Alaska cruises, I am a person that sits out there a few times for 10 to 20 minutes then I go back inside.  I dont enjoy the heat and sweat sitting outside in the Caribbean. 

3 hours ago, fridaythe13th said:

I was hesitant on my first lounge visit but figured I'd give it a shot.  Didn't like it and the people were very unwelcoming and it was crowded.  They looked at me like I had two heads. I was the one who was smiling and saying hi!  We got our cocktail and moved outside.

First time in a d lounge and we felt the same way.  But we want back in another night and met a wonderful couple that we sat down with to talk.  Now I just go in and usually meet with other cruise critic members and anyone that wants to talk.  It has been a blast meeting old friends and making new friends these past 3 years.  Meeting and having conversations with other addicted cruisers have been the highlight of our Caribbean cruises.  I look forward to sitting down and talking with cruisers every evening.  You can ask my wife and she will tell you that happy hour is my favorite time on the ship (not just for the drinks, as I dont usually have any alcohol when not on a cruise).

Really missed this on MSC this past july.  Even though we were in YC and had unlimited drinks, I missed the evening happy hour in the DL.  The top sail lounge was a suite lounge but not very many like minded cruisers there.  Funny thing is that the people that I met and started talking with were also cruise critic members. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Get rid of the lounges and make our 3 drinks from an expanded menu at any bar.  That New Amsterdam vodka is gut wrenching...

Watch out, they could go to a cheaper vodka.  I read from another poster that one ship had an even cheaper vodka as standard.  

I found out to go and try different bars on way to dining room.  Usually I get absolut or grey goose at other bars.  Could be that i always tip with my drinks?  But that hasn't worked in dl or sl yet as it has always been new Amsterdam in those bars.

53 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

They are that's why I booked Grand Princess for Hawaii cruise and P&O Ventura for Europe next year.

Our only RC cruise is on Independence next year when normally all our cruises would be on RCCL.

If you stop in honolulu, give me a ring.  If I am on Oahu, I would love to take you two sightseeing.  Will show you two the island from the eyes of lifelong resident.