WiFi on Labadee

Debitoo

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

No luck.  I've been able to see the ship's WiFi on the phone from Barefoot, but I don't think the phone has the power to get back to the ship.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the heads up. I won't waste my time trying. Sigh....

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Cigar King said:

You could stay on board.  I actually do this quite often just to relax and enjoy a practically empty ship.

This is how you get the severe stink-eye from twin 8 year olds.  At least for Labadee.  I don't care much about the other ports and like you, prefer to stay on-board.

3 hours ago, jgoodm said:

Is there LTE available?

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Nope.

LTE/3G was definitely available on at least one of the Haitian networks last September and was able to use data through the phone. Not the fastest  LTE by any means but perfectly usable. WiFi from Oasis did not reach even barefoot beach.

On 12/10/2018 at 1:21 PM, debitoo said:

Has anyone had any luck with the ships WiFi on Jewel extending to Labadee? Columbus Cove to be exact? Unfortunately, I have to bring some work with me and I'd love to be able to do it on the beach....😁

It's nearly half a mile straight shot from the dock to Columbus Cove!  Not likely.

Edited by time4u2go

20 hours ago, jgoodm said:

This is how you get the severe stink-eye from twin 8 year olds.  At least for Labadee.  I don't care much about the other ports and like you, prefer to stay on-board.

Sounds like you're going to be off the grid for a little while.  😉  FWIW, I like that myself.  It's how I know I am on vacation.

I will be the odd one out and say that yes, I have picked up the ship wifi from Columbus Cove on several occasions. 

On the Oasis this past summer my husband was able to work and book airline travel for the upcoming week. The signal was not strong (only 1 little piece of the wifi pie) but it got the job done. 

On two separate Harmony cruises I have been able to instagram photos from Columbus Cove. 

I have also picked a signal at Columbus Cove while on the Indy. 

Note that we were sitting right up front next to the we water and not way back near the food station or rest rooms. 

• 2 months later...

I’m was just at Columbus Cove today about 25 feet from the water (near the lunch pavilion) and used the ship internet VERY intermittently.  I saw it connected only a couple of times over 5 hours and a few alerts / messages came in and then the connection was gone again. This is using an iPhone. Maybe if a laptop had a better wireless card / antenna it may be able to get a more reliable connection. 

I tried walking into the water about 30 feet and it didn’t help. 

Edited by thrifty99

On 12/10/2018 at 6:26 PM, Host Clarea said:

No luck.  I've been able to see the ship's WiFi on the phone from Barefoot, but I don't think the phone has the power to get back to the ship.

Hi Bob.

This was our C&A D+ notice off a couple of years ago and the UK freephone number.

Regards Graham.

IMG_20190419_195708.jpg

Would adding repeaters or even a WIFI Hotspot work here on Labadee? If Royal added a repeater with the WIFI Name RCCL2  perhaps they could broadcast the WIFI off the ship.

I am sure they need WIFI to process charges made on the island so perhaps they could even offer free WIFI as a courtesy to passengers. 

10 minutes ago, travelplus said:

Would adding repeaters or even a WIFI Hotspot work here on Labadee? If Royal added a repeater with the WIFI Name RCCL2  perhaps they could broadcast the WIFI off the ship.

I am sure they need WIFI to process charges made on the island so perhaps they could even offer free WIFI as a courtesy to passengers. 

They don't on their ships.  I would think it even less likely on Labadee.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, travelplus said:

Maybe not free but they could find a way to let people who have purchased WiFi packages to use them when they are ashore on the private islands in the same way as those who have drinks packages can.

Just now, FionaMG said:

Maybe not free but they could find a way to let people who have purchased WiFi packages to use them when they are ashore on the private islands in the same way as those who have drinks packages can.

Promised for CoCoCay but not Labadee.