Pricing on Edge - Feb 2019 - comparison with other cruise lines

DYKWIA

Just comparing some prices for a Caribbean Cruise ex UK inc flights (same TA) prices per person based on 2.  

Celebrity Edge - 16 nights - £4299 - - Infinite balcony - no mention of inclusions - but I suspect Classic drinks package (package includes 2 nights hotel stay)

Oceania Riviera - 12 nights - £3149 - Balcony -  Free wifi, gratutiies, drinks + $600 on board spend (package includes 1 night hotel stay)

Regent seven seas - 12 nights £3879 - Deluxe Veranda Suite - All inclusive + free wifi + shore excursions - all specialty restaurants + tips (package includes 1 night hotel stay)

Princess Regal - £2547 - 16 nights - Balcony - no mention of any inclusions (package includes 2 nights hotel stay)

Holland America Nieuw Statendam - 18 nights - £2349 - Balcony - no mention of any inclusions (package includes 3 nights hotel stay)

I'm sure Celebrity know what they're doing , don't they? 

Of course they do. Surely you want to pay an extra £1800 to £2000 for an ocean view cabin with a beverage package (don’t forget to take your beach ball) 😏! Both the upscale options do sound quite tempting with everything that is included 🤔.

6 minutes ago, villauk said:

Of course they do. Surely you want to pay an extra £1800 to £2000 for an ocean view cabin with a beverage package (don’t forget to take your beach ball) 😏! Both the upscale options do sound quite tempting with everything that is included 🤔.

Yup the Regent Cruise in a suite looks an excellent deal and was promoted in the UK last night which got me thinking.  Can't see a price for the Edge entry level Suite for that cruise - I suspect my eyes would melt at the price

Edited by DYKWIA

I would focus on price per day with an accurate knowledge of other inclusions and OBC to get a fair side by side comparison. Your number of days and possible perks can make a huge difference. Edge prices are high. No surprises there. 

Edit: a 'Deluxe Veranda Suite' on Regent is not a suite as in what Celebrity would call a suite. It's their basic/lowest price balcony cabin categories. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212

26 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

Woah, thats crazy! Are all cruises around the same time? Currently I have no interest in sailing in Edge but if I ever do, I will have to do some research.

Also is Edge a b2b to make up the 16 night?

Yes, all roughly the same time within maybe a week or so, airfare might make some difference.  Yes, the Edge is a B2B plus 2 nights hotel stay - travelling from the UK all packaged itineraries include a night precruise.

I find it very difficult to make too precise a science from comparing the per night costs as the value of the freebies is difficult to assess.  There is, for example, no way I would put a high monetary value on free wifi - as I try to digitally detox on cruises.  I do put a lot of value on the ability to be able to look out toward the bow and take in the vista of the scenery the ship is sailing towards.  You can't really do that now without stumping up for a suite on Celebrity Edge (maybe Aqua class as well, not sure - either way most people on board are excluded!)

Edited by DYKWIA

Celebrity prices seem high to me.

We booked an Oceania Riviera 15 night transatlantic from Rome to Miami on board last month for October 2020 for $10,200 in an aft Penthouse Suite with a huge wrap-around verandah. The suite is roughly the same size as a Celebrity Sky Suite.

Oceania special offer is a choice of 8 shore excursions, $800 OBC, or a beverage package (wine and beer at lunch or dinner) PLUS free WiFi. The suite has a butler. All non alcoholic beverages are included on Oceania. All specialty restaurants are included on Oceania

At about the same time, there is a 13 night Reflection transatlantic with a similar itinerary for $9,800 in a corner S1 Sky Suite. No special offers but you do have Michaels Club and Luminae.

Without discussing which is a better or worse cruise line, Oceania pricing is slightly better per day, but overall pricing is comparable.

I suspect the February 2020 or 2021 might be significantly different as there has been very high initial demand for the new Edge.  Also from my experience comparing two shorter cruises B2B to one single cruise using resulted in the B2B being more expensive.

The Premium Mark Up for the Edge does not seem worth it to me, but the overall experience might be superior for some people.  Personally I am glad that we will still have the Solstice Class as an option.  Might be two different markets, which is a good strategy IMO.  

I would personally choose Holland America Nieuw Statendam - 18 nights, the cheapest and longest option.  Then again, we're avoiding the luxury market for as long as possible, until it only makes sense.  We were very impressed with Nieuw Amsterdam last summer, and would choose HAL in a heartbeat.

The comparisons are meaningless in terms of the question, because none of the other ships are the first of a new class.  Also, Celebrity has been explicit about raising prices to reflect the recovery from the Great Recession.  The only question is whether it's working – and judging by the way Celebrity has been able to raise prices on the Edge [average cabin price on my Jan. 20 cruise is up more than 67% from the launch fares] and still sell so many cabins, they know exactly what they are doing.  At final payment fewer than 25% of suites were available, and sales have continued week after week since then.  They are going to realize far more revenue at these prices than they would have by selling out the ship at 'reasonable' prices.

24 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The comparisons are meaningless in terms of the question, because none of the other ships are the first of a new class.  Also, Celebrity has been explicit about raising prices to reflect the recovery from the Great Recession.  The only question is whether it's working – and judging by the way Celebrity has been able to raise prices on the Edge [average cabin price on my Jan. 20 cruise is up more than 67% from the launch fares] and still sell so many cabins, they know exactly what they are doing.  At final payment fewer than 25% of suites were available, and sales have continued week after week since then.  They are going to realize far more revenue at these prices than they would have by selling out the ship at 'reasonable' prices.

Great points. The prices that they have been getting have been excellent...dropping prices to fill ships would hurt the upscale image they have been working to establish for the new ship ....and really po those who paid the high prices. While initial reviews are rough... it is early... and many can be addressed...some of the IV cabin issues are hard to fix.... but for people ...like me, who spend little time on veranda... I think I will love the view and ability to use the space. I am sure they are a bit nervous at initial comments...but they wanted to disrupt and that means some will not like the results. I am more annoyed at the drip drip drip of increases in price for all the extras. I look forward to experiencing the ship...hope I still will be able to afford her in the future....

1 hour ago, kearney said:

Great points. The prices that they have been getting have been excellent...dropping prices to fill ships would hurt the upscale image they have been working to establish for the new ship ....and really po those who paid the high prices. While initial reviews are rough... it is early... and many can be addressed...some of the IV cabin issues are hard to fix.... but for people ...like me, who spend little time on veranda... I think I will love the view and ability to use the space. I am sure they are a bit nervous at initial comments...but they wanted to disrupt and that means some will not like the results. I am more annoyed at the drip drip drip of increases in price for all the extras. I look forward to experiencing the ship...hope I still will be able to afford her in the future....

The early negative reviews of IV cabins are based on Caribbean cruises.  IMHO these cabins will be very desirable for cooler climates like the Norwegian Fjords – real balconies are too cold to use then, but the extra inside space of the IV will be very welcome.

13 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I would focus on price per day with an accurate knowledge of other inclusions and OBC to get a fair side by side comparison. Your number of days and possible perks can make a huge difference. Edge prices are high. No surprises there. 

Edit: a 'Deluxe Veranda Suite' on Regent is not a suite as in what Celebrity would call a suite. It's their basic/lowest price balcony cabin categories. 

Until you get to owners type suites all Suites are same size and all inclusive means all alcoholic drinks, top shelf brands by the way, lobster everywhere, ice cream always, all excursions included and they are good ones, special parties out by the pool and only 600 people on board! Totally different experience. No specialty restaurant charges. 

20 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Comparing the entry level "suites" of Regent and Celebrity

Regent - deluxe veranda - 28m2 + 5m2 (balcony)

Celbrity - Sky Suite s3 - 302ft2 (28m2) + 102ft (9.4m2) (balcony)

Cabin size they're the same, venada bigger on Celebrity Sky Suite - but still a veranda which you don't get on edge ina  regular cabin 

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The comparisons are meaningless in terms of the question, because none of the other ships are the first of a new class. 

But if you don't care that it's a new ship and you just a Caribbean vacation, then its very meaningful.  Edge only comes into play if people care about trying out the new ship.

• Like 1

Is DYKWIA's comparison meaningful to me?

Lets say (1) we are experienced travelers who like to cruise and have done so on a few different cruise lines

(2) we have $10,000 to spend on a vacation

(3) we want the most bang for our buck, the most value as we define value

Roughly:  How much time on vacation, in what kind of accommodation, with what level of service, with what quality and amount of food and beverage, and what cost to travel to and from the destination.

Therefore, in the OP's example:

If I am a first adapter, then the Edge IV garners attention, until I realize the trip is $900 beyond my budget, before incidentals.

Whereas, if I place comfort, style, and reputation of the brand on a higher priority, and travel can be done within the budget, then Oceania and Regent grab my attention, and probably my money.

If, however being able to get on board of a fairly nice ship for a longer cruise, and the base price allows me to spend the remainder of my budget in various ways to enhance my experience is more important, the Princess gets my business, hands down.

Conclusion:  the comparison was meaningful and useful.  It is not apples to oranges.  It comparing a big shiny fresh expensive hybrid apple I've never tried before and don't know how it will taste fresh or in a pie; to some good, fresh Braeburns that I know are crisp and tasty; to a Pink Lady I'm going to dip in caramel sauce.

Then my spouse comes along and so "no, I want a granny smith".

21 minutes ago, cruisefam38 said:

Is DYKWIA's comparison meaningful to me?

Lets say (1) we are experienced travelers who like to cruise and have done so on a few different cruise lines

(2) we have $10,000 to spend on a vacation

(3) we want the most bang for our buck, the most value as we define value

Roughly:  How much time on vacation, in what kind of accommodation, with what level of service, with what quality and amount of food and beverage, and what cost to travel to and from the destination.

Therefore, in the OP's example:

If I am a first adapter, then the Edge IV garners attention, until I realize the trip is $900 beyond my budget, before incidentals.

Whereas, if I place comfort, style, and reputation of the brand on a higher priority, and travel can be done within the budget, then Oceania and Regent grab my attention, and probably my money.

If, however being able to get on board of a fairly nice ship for a longer cruise, and the base price allows me to spend the remainder of my budget in various ways to enhance my experience is more important, the Princess gets my business, hands down.

Conclusion:  the comparison was meaningful and useful.  It is not apples to oranges.  It comparing a big shiny fresh expensive hybrid apple I've never tried before and don't know how it will taste fresh or in a pie; to some good, fresh Braeburns that I know are crisp and tasty; to a Pink Lady I'm going to dip in caramel sauce.

Then my spouse comes along and so "no, I want a granny smith".

We also have to look at itinerary if that matters to some.  Edge is two 7 day back to back of really boring ports.  Oceania and Regent are actually longer cruises with different Caribbean ports.  The ports are the sprinkles on your caramel apple :)

Cruise Junky, you introduce a variable that is important to most cruisers, and one that came into play when we chose our Spring 2019 Caribbean cruise.  Of the five islands on the itinerary, we will return to four islands we have only visited once before.  When we used a pen-and-paper comparison, not a more sophisticated spreadsheet effectively employed by some well-versed veteran cruisers, we quickly concluded the Edge as it is currently priced was not for us and we could get what we wanted for less money on the Reflection.  Maybe we should have tried Oceania?!

I have seen more than one seasoned cruiser who wrote their disappointment with the initial Edge itineraries.

Yes, any variable might be the apple, the caramel, the sprinkles, or the napkin you drop in the trash.

Edited by cruisefam38
  • Like 2

For us the ship is the key, we enjoy the sun and the Caribbean and have done many of the island more than one time. We actually enjoy staying on board on the odd port day because unlike a sea day the ship is nearly empty and everything is at your disposal. Really the prices above are a real eye opener and I don’t care how new the Celebrity ship is it’s not going to be up to Regent standards regarding the traditional cruise values. Service, food, staff/ passenger ratio. We really don’t care about many if the modern twists on offer.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are doing a BtoBtoBtoB next November (all on different ships).  We cruise often and to make that work for us, and our limited budget, we look for basic cabins (usually inside).  We wanted to do something different so we booked ships that were either "upscale or new" -- here is the price breakdown:

-- Nov 10, MSC Meraviglia 7 days in their Yacht Club (all inclusive) = $ 1,451 pp 

-- Nov 17, Crystal Symphony 7 days OV cabin (all inclusive) = $1,782 pp

-- Nov 24, Celebrity Edge 7 days inside cabin = $1,177 pp

-- Dec 1, HAL's Nieuw Statendam 7 days inside cabin = $ 619 pp

These are total prices per person and the best deal I could find.  Their are no perks other than a small amount of OB credit on the Edge and Nieuw Statendam.

Enjoy! 

Kel😀