Silver Wind Drydock

DCCruiser57

We are on the Wind departing 12/29 and I'll do my best to post photos and let everyone know how she looks!

Meantime, I would appreciate some advice:  I am trying to minimize clothing and formal night is (obviously) 12/31.  Will I be under-dressed (I'm a male) if I wear a dressy sportcoat with a black bowtie?  Or will the majority of people be wearing tuxedos or dark suits?

I appreciate any insight that anyone can provide.  Thank you in advance!

Just a guess, but I bet most of the men will dress up for New Years Eve. The ladies certainly will be decked out! On Silversea, it has always been an especially festive occasion. I'm old fashioned...(and old.). So I much prefer seeing men looking terrifically handsome in black tie. But if you choose to  wear a dark suit and a dark tie, no one will think or say a word. Not too sure about the sports coat...

Hope you will have a fabulous time...We'll ALL be very interested in your review of the renovated Wind. She has a big fan club!

"Pash"

3 hours ago, CruisinPashmina said:

Hope you will have a fabulous time...We'll ALL be very interested in your review of the renovated Wind. She has a big fan club!

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Have a great time Bjmjam. I think I'd agree with Pash's assessment for NYE. For this evening (if it is as I'd expect - a formal night), I'd expect Tux wearers to be as high as 50% and dark suits the rest. If you wanted to wear a Sports jacket and tie, no one would say anything (guests or MD) but I'd definitely think you might feel a little out of place. That said, this is for the MDR or La Dame only. If you wend to La Terrazza, that would be fine. Most I'd expect wont be in formal in there - though NYE.... maybe that will be an exception - though I'd still think guests in there will still be more casual looking.

Personally if it is indeed a "musification" of the interior, I'm quite happy about it. I had a peek in my 738 Vista when I was on in September and it really did need updating - particularly the bathroom.

Have a great time. A quick check in my.silversea tells me I've 121 days to go, so banking on some hot reviews!

Just received an e-mail from Silversea, describing the Wind's next major dry dock in summer 2020 to convert it to ice class, as well as some further interior changes.    Then it will begin doing Antarctic and Arctic destinations in addition to the  classic non-expedition destinations.  Seems to be a Cloudification of sorts. 

5 minutes ago, Wellseasoned said:

Just received an e-mail from Silversea, describing the Wind's next major dry dock in summer 2020 to convert it to ice class, as well as some further interior changes.    Then it will begin doing Antarctic and Arctic destinations in addition to the  classic non-expedition destinations.  Seems to be a Cloudification of sorts. 

Thx Wellseasoned.  For several of us here, I think we all felt this was going to happen once the new Moon came online, regardless of what the Cruise Consultant told Jolly Jones this past summer.  Now, you've confirmed it!

The Wind is the only Classic ship we haven't been on.  

4 hours ago, bjmjam said:

Pash and Les37b, thank you so much for the advice.  Sounds like I need a larger suitcase for the trip...:classic_blink:

I'll be excited to update photos for everyone!

BJMJAM,

We sailed on a Silver Spirit NYE's voyage a couple of years ago and I remember remarking to my wife from the upper pool deck while everyone was enjoying the festivities how it felt like practically all of the men were dressed in tuxedos and dark suits.  Don't get me wrong, there were a couple of sport coats sprinkled in here and there, but no one, and I mean no one was dressed casually. 

We were in our late 40's at the time and absolutely loved our cruise as it was unlike anything we had experienced on SS before.

Have a great voyage and I look forward to seeing your pics!  As the Wind is the only classic ship we haven't sailed, maybe, just maybe, your photos will inspire us to find a voyage before the 2020 conversion.

They have updated the stock photos of the Wind on the SS website, but I think they really just copied the photos of the Cloud instead of taking new photos of the Wind post refurb. So my guess is that the Wind will be mainly identical to the Cloud decor. Looking forward to seeing actual pictures from those sailing on her over the next few weeks.

We came aboard in Bridgetown today and first impressions are that the ship looks magnificent. All the soft furnishings have been renewed and the colour schemes are delightful; understated elegance throughout. This is the first stage of conversion to an expedition/cruise ship which will be completed in 2020. We travelled earlier this year on Silver Cloud to Antarctica and were very impressed with the conversion and the efficiency with which the ship was run. So much so that we have booked two further expedition cruises on Silver Cloud for 2019. Silversea 'ticks all the boxes' for us, where other cruise lines do not!

Edited by philipb
spelling error

Excellent news Philipb

If you do get the chance to post any piccies at some point I think they'll be greatly received, though I have a feeling (and something you'd know), it probably now looks similar to what you had on the cloud. (At least I think that's what is expected). Obviously the blue hull and expedition enhancements are still to come... but the décor I expect will be what we've termed Musified.

Hope it is..... I like it. And the rooms were certainly in need of updating.

Delighted to read more positive updates on our favourite Wind as we have 50+ days booked for next summer which in view of change to Expedition in 2020 could sadly become a farewell Wind celebration with some good old SS friends.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:27 AM, Mayflower1 said:

Happy Christmas Brimary - we will be there June 9th to raise a Glass or two to our much loved Silver Wind - we too expect it to be our last hurrah. No doubt you will be well settled in before we arrive !!!!

Many thanks .We reciprocate your good wishes for the festive season and a happy 2019 on our farewell voyages on the Silver Wind.We will make sure the bar is well stocked for our last hurrah together.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:20 PM, philipb said:

We came aboard in Bridgetown today ...

Hi Philip,

Who is the CD currently on the Wind please? I'm aboard in three weeks and need to know if I must brush up on my phobias and collective nouns. Trivia on SS is anything but trivial!!

Jolly Jones,

Counting on you to update us all on the refurbishment. When I sailed on her immediately prior to the dry dock, the panorama loung had been redone. Looked great. but...No one has mentioned the bathrooms..overall they have been tiny and maybe a bit difficult to get in and especially out of the bathtub/shower combo...at least for me.  I am hoping these will be replaced with at some straight forward stand alone showers. Was this too much to hope for?

Have a wonderful time on your upcoming adventure and, please, will give us your opinions on the changes.

Hi Pash,

It's been two years since I've been on the Wind - it's been Whisper / Muse / Spirit recently - so I hope I can remember what she used to look like!

I too find the 'up and over' to get into the tub for a shower a bit of a pain and much prefer a spacious walk in shower but I suspect that ripping out and replacing the existing tubs would have been a too big and expensive job to have been done this time around, but I will soon find out.

Incidentally, the new cabins put in the stretched bit of the Spirit don't have tubs, they have a big walk in shower where the tub would have been and more space around the toilet. I wasn't in one of them but my butler let me have a look because I wanted to know if there was still a washing line (there is) - the whole bathroom was more spacious and inviting (altho' actually no bigger than the old ones) and the bath sized shower cubicle looked really useful.

Edited by jollyjones

Hi Jollyjones

You are so right about the new Suites in the ' Stretched ' Section of The Spirit. We had one in July and found the Bathroom superb and appearing more spacious ( there is nothing wrong with the 'Old Style ' Bathrooms however ). We will hopefully be enjoying the Large Shower again for 4 Cruises in 2019 but in our opinion just to be on The Spirit is good wherever one resides.